• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

Eggm

Smash Hero
For LK :
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=108743
Singles
1 PC Chris
2 Cort
3 Lord Knight
4 Krazy Jones
5 Hayato
5 Yo-Yo
7 CWJAlex
7 Pat/Pro
9 Phish-it
9 nuro
9 Brookman
9 SwiftBass
13 ZoSo
13 ky
13 geos
13 Black Mage
17 Kip
17 skler
17 budai
17 nasty nate
17 Pipe
17 V
17 ErciChewman
17 Stu
25 Tak
25 _milktea
25 JHolla
25 Pine
25 Gonzales
25 Nus
25 Art
25 icey
33 kevzez
33 mike
33 mike money
33 Veldon Steele
33 king of noobs
33 trademark
33 Spawn
33 bop
33 awsm sean
33 pottywatkumquat
33 Ghetto Fab
33 Kevin Pond
33 **** tom
33 Aesir
33 Mark
33 purple cobra
49 hunter
49 Andrew Hoegen
49 flush five
49 thomas
49 Green hunter
49 Tichinde
49 zettai kurayami
49 Andrew
49 ray
Tournament was in CT.

For me and reik moo and you too jay ^^ oh and sensei and woz
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=96076&page=139
1) Eggm/bum (split)
2) Eggm/Bum (split)
3)Sensei
4) Reik
5) Wes
Starz
7)Vanz
Hax
9)DJ
Reno
D1
WoZ
13)Jash
Comp
Dire
Dark.Pch
17)THX
Jman
Zim
Moo
Jfox
Diego
X
Justin
25)Silven
SHin Bowser
Bye
Blackanese
Jayoyea
Chris
David Reed
Thrash
33) Bye
Bye
Pr3z
Kelvin
Arturo
Bye
Steve
Zero3
And for the record I did beat bum in the 1st set then we decided to split cause it was mad late and employees were complaining and everyone wanted to go home.
tourney was in NY

JFox

Smash Hero
I've been keeping an archive of all tournaments that involve NJ players and had those two tournaments archived. :p
So have I actually.

Eggm got death bracketed at NYC. Vanz, Comp, Reik, Sensei, Dire, DJ Nintendo, Wes, Bum.

DAIYUMMM.

And I got a pretty lousy bracket myself- Noob first, Sensei second, D1 third. :urg:

Eggm

Smash Hero
I think it was dire 1st dj nintendo 2nd then an ic's/jiggs player then.. dj nintendo again I think vanz another ic's then comp then wes, reik, sensei, then bum. If the player wasn't hard the character they used was for me, my bracket was extremely hard for me all the way through. :(

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
So is it a yay or a nay for the point system?

Power Rankings can still be done separately, after all. The point system is mainly to encourage more competition and to give NJ something officially delicious to look forward to each month.

JFox

Smash Hero
Wouldn't the point system be based more on the amount of tournaments you went to, rather than how well you place?

Granted, a person who goes to 8 tournaments and gets dead last in each won't beat out a guy who goes to 8 tournaments and gets all first. But what about someone who gets like 9th every tourney, but goes to more tournaments than a more inactive player.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Wouldn't the point system be based more on the amount of tournaments you went to, rather than how well you place?

Granted, a person who goes to 8 tournaments and gets dead last in each won't beat out a guy who goes to 8 tournaments and gets all first. But what about someone who gets like 9th every tourney, but goes to more tournaments than a more inactive player.
Then that counts for activity, right? Boom, you didn't go to one of the official tournaments, so you don't get points.

Understand something: These tournaments aren't going to be very frequent. They're once a month, with probably at the last 3 weeks in between. You have plenty of time to plan ahead of time to make it to these circuit tournaments.

There may be players that are extremely good at the game, but if they're inactive, it's nothing but wasted talent. The points are given to those who earn it.

Here is the point system for the circuit:

Point System:

Singles

1st 45
2nd 30
3rd 20
4th 15
5th 12
7th 10
9th 8
13th 4
17th 2
25th 1

These points are going to represent three things:

1. Ranking

This is fairly obvious and needs no explanation. The higher you place, the more points you get.

2. Activity

You show up, and you'll get points. You don't show up, and you don't get points. It's as simple as that. The points represent your tournament attendance accordingly. You have to assume that these official tournaments aren't just your run-of-the-mill events, but something bigger. You can always miss the smaller events just fine, but these events will hold more weight. Deciding not to go is your choice, but it hurts your record. The best possible way to get the most amount of points is to try and enter every single tournament in the circuit, but then again, even by entering all of these tournaments, a player getting 1st in one event already puts him ahead.

With the current system being planned, by your example, 1st place gets 45 points, while 9th place only gets 8 points. Assuming there are 8 events, even if a player constantly gets 9th place, he only has 64 points. Meanwhile, a player who only entered two events won first each time and is already resting easy at 90 points. This makes it so that though activity still counts, it's not the main determining factor for your point rank placing. However, there's this scenario.

One player wins 1st five out of eight but doesn't enter the last three events. That's 225 in the bag. The second player wins 2nd place at those five events but 1st in the three other events the first player didn't enter. That's 240. Theoretically, even though the 1st player placed 1st in more events, the 2nd player has more points because he continued to gain them through his attendance. This is where activity will trump another player. In reality, the first player, unless through some sort of emergency, will probably attend these last few events if he cares about staying in 1st. After all, he only needs at the most 16 more points to stay ahead of the competition.

Remember that these are THE tournaments to go to. It's not just another weekend tournament to go to just because you're free, but something you want to keep open in your schedule because it's an important event. There's always going to be a winner for the tournaments, and someone is going to get these 45 points each time. The question is whether or not the person in 1st will stay there or not. If M2K never goes to the NJ tournaments as others say, then it's up for anyone - But you have to be there to grab it.

3. Seeding

After a series of 3 or 4 events, which will be planned later on, a bigger event will be held statewide. There will be more exposure, coverage, and prizes on the line. The points you've accumulated up to this point will determine how you're seeded, so naturally, you would want the highest amount of points to get the easiest bracket possible. After all the competition and tension when it comes to building points, it all comes down to this. You want to defeat a certain player, or perhaps you have a rivalry? This is where you end it.

If you don't like it just because you don't like a points system, then that's fine. However, not liking it because you think it won't work is simply dumb, because it obviously does. The Midwest and the Kishes, who modified this system, are proof of that.

Folks, it's not like I'm trying to be innovative - this is a system that's been used in the past, and successfully if I might add. It's all a matter of how much effort you, as smashers in a competitive community, want to put in.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Even if you have months to prepare to go, if something happens and you miss one and your rivals or people you wanna prove yourself against like you mentioned go to all 4 you are pretty screwed espically if that person is really close to you for example. Also the people like m2k who might not want to go will end up maybe not being 1st because of that and arguments will start up after that I kinda like the way its done now with panelists and the bimonthly thing and how you have to attend a certain amount of in and out of state tournaments to qualify theres nothing wrong with that unless you have biased panelists, which i don't think theres any problem cept maybe inui but even hes not that horrible I suppose.

Magus420

Smash Master
I think having the circuit standings list in addition to the normal rankings list like WoZ suggested earlier would be the best way to go. It would encourage more competition while still retaining the accuracy of a PR list that is more thought out.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Right.

Really, Power Rankings =/= Circuit Point Standing.

I'm more geared at making this more circuit/competition driven than rank driven, though the circuit points can definitely help contribute to your deciding factors.

mog87

Smash Ace
Right.

Really, Power Rankings =/= Circuit Point Standing.

I'm more geared at making this more circuit/competition driven than rank driven, though the circuit points can definitely help contribute to your deciding factors.
I think that should work out quite well.

Sensei

Smash Lord
I am going to be the first one with balls and say it. NJ will become the best state in Smash. Even better than VA. Lets see if any VA players see this and say something lol.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
C3! Nj go there and take over! :)

The Circuit idea sounds great as it will hopefully cause more people to enter tourneys but it would be a good idea to also have the originally power rankings list seperate from it somewhere.

RK Tha Prez

Smash Cadet
Name: RK Tha Prez
County: Gloucester County
City: Glassboro, NJ
Contact Info: AIM:NajeeForPrez
Additional Info- Gears of War(360) Unreal Tournament (PC)
Crew: None

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
So then the circuit is good to go. SMASHACRE will be the start of it.

I'll also want some tournament hosts who are interested in being a part of it. I'm looking for locations in Central and South NJ as well, if any.

Cheezit, I know you're interested, so we'll talk about it.

RK Tha Prez

Smash Cadet
So then the circuit is good to go. SMASHACRE will be the start of it.

I'll also want some tournament hosts who are interested in being a part of it. I'm looking for locations in Central and South NJ as well, if any.

Cheezit, I know you're interested, so we'll talk about it.

the only tournaments I know of as of yet in SJ, is the one in Glassboro, NJ, and thats at Holllywood video/Gamecrazy,

The other is Uplink. Me and my unofficial crew are goin there.

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
bill are u coming to rutgers this semester???? cause that would be most ballin'.... i might stop by at jay fox's thingy on wednesday who knows... if i do i'll see any of you NJ guys there

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
lol i wish i went to rutgers New Brunswick :( i go to NJIT does anyone go to rutgers Newark??? lolz

o well i hope i can see many of u NJ players at smashacre XD

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
bill are u coming to rutgers this semester???? cause that would be most ballin'.... i might stop by at jay fox's thingy on wednesday who knows... if i do i'll see any of you NJ guys there
well, bad news. im not going to rutgers next semester. more community college...

well, even more bad news. JFoxs is cancelled.

well, even even more bad news. your ice climbers will get pwned next time we meet fool :chuckle:

the only tournaments I know of as of yet in SJ, is the one in Glassboro, NJ, and thats at Holllywood video/Gamecrazy,
smash goes on at rowan during the fall / spring semester

Woodman

Smash Rookie
I'll throw my hat into the ring

Name: Woodman
County: Middlesex County
City: Plainsboro and Ewing, NJ
Contact Info: AIM: woodman21186
College: The College of New Jersey (Ewing)
Crew: n/a

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
will u be smashing it up at rowan too?
yeah ill be there from time to time, to catch some stitchface death turnips :chuckle:

Skag, come to Smashacre. It's been too long!

And you probably still owe Magus half of that beer money, right? XD
cant go to smashacre... i have a family party at my house that day.

hehe me n restmaster flex are even. ill buy the beer next smashfest

I'll throw my hat into the ring

yeahhhh woodman. i rely wana play you / get better at fruity loops / be graced with your presence

Top Bottom