• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
If this maintenance turn out to only be a balance patch and nothing more, what changes do you want?
Just leave Yoshi alone. Leave him be. Please. He's in that perfect sweet spot where he's top-tier, but not enough to require a nerf. Make him better and they'll be tempted to nerf him in the next patch.

Last edited:

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Sure, let me grab my magic wand and I'll poof in five new characters into the roster before the ballot even ends!
Let me borrow that magic wand, when you're done with it. I've got a couple programming projects at work that I'd rather get done, sooner rather than later. Poof. Done. Hurray! :113:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I don't get the "slow news" complaints.

We went from November to April without any news whatsoever. Right now, the last time we got news was late July. It's almost September.

It hasn't been that long by comparison. Relax.

D

Deleted member

We went from November to April without any news whatsoever. Right now, the last time we got news was late July. It's almost September.

The only difference is that we had the game to wait for news
Oh wait...

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

I think people would be less antsy if we knew the state of future news updates. Ever since Iwata's death the most we've gotten are minor tweets. It's jarring to get used to (at least for myself still), nor do we know if we'll ever see a direct, or if it'll just remain tweets and/or going to events and doing reveals (TGS would be a good time to start with Nippon based Nintendo).

The uncertainty of everything just magnifies the content drought far more than it actually is.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman

Gamers are impatient. This is nothing new. A simple squeak from the floor can somehow turn into an elaborate leak/rumor, fueled by little more than wishful thinking and unfounded speculation. Since the squeaky floor tells them what they want to hear, they will turn to the floor, and the many "floor whisperers" that pop up, for guidance.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm probably the only one who has the mindset that I believe that Nintendo might retire the Directs.

I know it hurts but we all he Twitter announcements and especially the the major announcements they could have saved for like Shovel Knight amiibo one went on for other things. At this point, Directs are probably done until they find someone comfortable enough to do global ones for each region. I doubt they'll pick out any NOA guys to do global and most importantly Japanese Directs

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Agreed. People are waayy too impatient. We can easily wait until October at worst.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
At least we have the Civil War teaser to pass time. Tho the wait won't be over until May.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I think we were a little bit spoiled by Ryu Roy and Lucas. After Mewtwo was released we only had to wait for barely even 2 months before we suddenly got 3 characters, 2 stages and a truckload of other things. The reality of it is that we were given those (along with the costumes and stages that came with tourney mode) to tide us over for the wait for more new content.
Clearly, it somehow wasn't enough. Gamers are an impaitent bunch for sure. =P

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I think it's moreso that even during that time we had something announced that wasn't released yet.

But I agree, something is coming soon anyway, probably. ******** about it won't bring it here any sooner.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
How often had we had "just maintenance"?
I feel like it has always been along with added content or preparing to add content, since we've had DLC, anyway. Unless there is a major glitch or balance issue in need of repair. Or I could just be completely wrong. Not that I really have any hopes for anything major, just curious how often "maintenance" has meant "significant update" in the past.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
How often had we had "just maintenance"?
I feel like it has always been along with added content or preparing to add content, since we've had DLC, anyway. Unless there is a major glitch or balance issue in need of repair. Or I could just be completely wrong. Not that I really have any hopes for anything major, just curious how often "maintenance" has meant "significant update" in the past.
It's happened quite a few times. The only real difference here is that it's occurring around the same time as the last DLC update.

The problem, however, is that doesn't mean we're actually getting something...

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
At best, balance patches for this update.

That said, a reveal of sorts would be a huge surprise that I'm not betting on.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Hey Push, the White alt for Falcon is Jodie Summers colored alt (her first appearance was F-Zero X). Just a heads up
It's a direct translation. If the SG article doesn't mention Jodie Summers, Sakurai's original article probably didn't either.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
At least he had the decency to put 99% fake in the title this time. -_-
It's a bit depressing that we're at a point where we have to give props to someone for not giving their video a clickbait title.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Hey Push, the White alt for Falcon is Jodie Summers colored alt (her first appearance was F-Zero X). Just a heads up
It's a direct translation. If the SG article doesn't mention Jodie Summers, Sakurai's original article probably didn't either.
Thanks Burb.

This is the official explanation. Everything else is fan theories until otherwise proven (you guys should know the drill).

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
Everything else is fan theories until otherwise proven (you guys should know the drill).
that's a little silly. like, it wasn't explicitly stated, but (for example) falcon has a costume that just happens to have the exact color scheme of another f-zero character?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
that's a little silly. like, it wasn't explicitly stated, but (for example) falcon has a costume that just happens to have the exact color scheme of another f-zero character?
Sakurai might have mentioned it somewhere on the ballot response pages, but unless he does then I personally don't consider it 100% true.

It might be a situation where some people consider the Wario alt in Brawl to be a Wario Land 3 alt, but it's actually missing some details as pointed out by @ Frostwraith Frostwraith . Maybe "inspired" by, but it's not a direct reference.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
The article is a translation of an article by Sakurai. It's not a list of what we think each costume is referencing.

Whether or not that costume is a Jodie Summers reference is completely irrelevant, because the original article doesn't mention it.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it's still not official unless officially confirmed. Until then, it's just officially a coincidence. Besides, I'm not sure if it really officially matters whether or not the reference was officially intentional or not. For all we know, the color choice may not even have been made by Sakurai himself, and he most likely has no time to confirm every bit of fan speculation.

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but Sakurai isn't the only individual to make decisions on this game.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
The article is a translation of an article by Sakurai. It's not a list of what we think each costume is referencing.

Whether or not that costume is a Jodie Summers reference is completely irrelevant, because the original article doesn't mention it.
i didn't say that. i specifically quoted the "unofficial until proven" section, omitting that about the article.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
i didn't say that. i specifically quoted the "unofficial until proven" section, omitting that about the article.
It doesn't matter.

This is about the article. Even if the costume was meant to be based on Jodie, it doesn't belong in the article because it wasn't mentioned.

What difference does it make if it officially was?

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Basically this (if my last post didn't clear it up).

My goal with providing translations like these on Source Gaming is two fold.

1. Provide original translations without commentary, or at least separating them from commentary - Smash is a very "hyped" series, and it's easy to interject opinions when talking about the game because people are so passionate about it. Everyone has a strong opinion on something. For example, if someone is talking about clones, it might be easy to say something like "Sakurai dropped the ball on Ganondorf!" That's an opinion and doesn't belong in a factual piece. Plus these pieces are more references for everyone, and we don't use this to interject our own thoughts/ opinions. Links or information on how to obtain the original text is provided so people can check the translations.

2. Use the original sources to provide original, complete analysis. If everyone has access to the same information then it's a lot easier to understand the person's reasoning. Personally, when I write posts, it's "Wikipedia style" with a ton links to other pages (mostly other Source Gaming posts). I do that because I want people to check my information/ understand where I'm coming from. My thoughts are constantly evolving based on new information, and I want to show why.

The explanation is overkill, but it's also helpful for everyone else in the thread.

By the way-- Source Gaming is aimed at the very hardcore Smash community. We just passed 1,000,000 views last month.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
It doesn't matter.

This is about the article. Even if the costume was meant to be based on Jodie, it doesn't belong in the article because it wasn't mentioned.

What difference does it make if it officially was?
no, it's not about the article. it's about a statement PDI made that was related to the article. it's pretty obvious that it's a direct translation.
stop putting words in my mouth.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
no, it's not about the article. it's about a statement PDI made that was related to the article. it's pretty obvious that it's a direct translation.
stop putting words in my mouth.
For me, at the end of the day...it doesn't fully matter unless there's a source behind it. It's how I roll with information.

Yes, it's still not official unless officially confirmed. Until then, it's just officially a coincidence. Besides, I'm not sure if it really officially matters whether or not the reference was officially intentional or not. For all we know, the color choice may not even have been made by Sakurai himself, and he most likely has no time to confirm every bit of fan speculation.

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but Sakurai isn't the only individual to make decisions on this game.
Agree with the first part of your rational. Sakurai approves every single detail in the game. He's crazy. Hal Labs based the coloring/ shading of Smash 64 based on how it looked on Sakurai's T.V. They talked about adjusting the color of the warp pipes in the Mushroom Kingdom stage. The dude acted out most(if not all?) of the characters in Subspace Emissary so they could be reanimated by hand. Sakurai has the final say 100% of the way.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what are we doing today? Mountains out of Molehills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom