• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Costume for newcomers.

I don't see mentions of Dunban after his costume, for example.
Yeah but even then Dunban is a part of Shulk's final smash so that's not happening after what we saw with Chrom

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So, what is the summary of the SK leak?
you liked my post that summarized it!

Here's a summary of what he says:
Tamaki says he got a tip off from a reliable source that has proved himself in the past...and confirmed by other people involved with retail around the world
Repeats that it's a very strong rumor, backed by a number of people.
Development is well under way. Could be unveiled soon.
The Spanish amiibo "leak" lines up with Tamaki's information.
Speculated that Shovel Knight will be announced at PAX.
I may be skeptical on the whole thing (as usual), but wouldn't that be more in line with where Shovel Knight is more popular?

Shovel Knight is more marketable outside of Japan, after all.

I was going to compare him with Japan-only characters Roy and Lucas, but they're veterans... Japan likely doesn't know a lot about Shovel Knight... Though his inclusion in Smash could be a marketing stunt... Isn't the game going to release in Japan somewhat soon?

Another thing: we have no idea if the criteria for character selection has changed from DLC. DLC, as a whole, is an unprecedented situation, after all. We know what are Sakurai's methods for selecting characters... for the main games, that is. Main game sales have the people buy the whole roster, so he has some freedom in regards to putting unpopular or unexpected characters.

I'm not defending this, but I don't think people should be shooting down it either. It may or may not happen. Both possibilities have their own good and bad things about them.
That's true. Western Popularity and a Western Reveal would make sense. But, Idk I think Sakurai would be there to reveal the character (if they did it in a presentation). Of course they could just upload a video onto YouTube.

I agree that it's still possible that Shovel Knight did make it into the game. It's not completely outside the realm of possibility, and we have no reason to 100% trust-- nor doubt Tamaki at this point in time.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Watch as we get an obscure Japan only character along with Shovel Knight... :p

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What if it's a marketing trick and it's all a Mii costume that the Devs know is not what the players want but Marketing will hype it up anyway.

If we could get Mii costumes for just about all the current third parties fighting games who's to say a quick mii costume isn't impossible.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think the Shovel Knight game looks really good, and I plan on getting the physical release on Wii U when it releases. But I don't think he should be in Smash at all (if by hook or crook this turns out to actually be true). I enjoyed Shantae a lot too, but I don't think she should be in Smash either.

We have a standard of proven and legendary 3rd Party characters so far. They have all stood the test of time, for decades. They all have a huge legacy, and they all have significant ties to Nintendo, be it through support, or rivalry.

Even if Nintendo wanted to go the Indie route for a 3rd Party, then Yooka-Laylee would be the best characters. OK bias aside, Shantae would honestly be the best choice. At the very least she has multiple games, and she at least has a long history (with Nintendo). She is also guaranteed to stay around for a while. Shovel Knight may NEVER even get another game.

The word 'deserving' is thrown around a lot. But Shovel Knight is truly, truly undeserving of being in Smash Bros.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
After doing some research (AKA Wikipedia), his game did come out in NA fairly before Smash 3DS/Wii U launched.
Shovel Knight: June 26, 2014
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS: October 3, 2014
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: November 21, 2014
So I can be sort of fine with it. I just wished if they wanted to include Shovel Knight, they would do it in the next Smash Bros. game. This would give time for the IP to mature enough and grow its own fan base (same thing with the Inklings as well). I personally think they're rushing it just a little XD.

Also to note, Splatoon is most likely a staple Nintendo franchise now. So they will most likely be in the next Smash game in my opinion.
Takamaru anyone? :troll:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think you are talking about Arle Nadja :p. I'd call her Japan's Shovel Knight. Except Shovel Knight ranks higher in polls than she does in Japan.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I honestly don't see how a costume of a non-veteran deconfirms said non-veteran :glare:

Not to mention it's DLC, which means you don't even need to buy it.
You don't need to buy DLC characters either so I don't see the point.

The idea behind Mii costumes, to me, is "we aren't going to implement this character as playable so here's the next best thing. Sort of play as them by putting stuff on your Mii."

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think you are talking about Arle Nadja :p. I'd call her Japan's Shovel Knight. Except Shovel Knight ranks higher in polls than she does in Japan.
Arle from the Puyo Puyo games? Because if that's the case, she has some notable moments considering Puyo Puyo series still get a release in the west (in some cases)

If not, ignore what I said

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Arle from the Puyo Puyo games? Because if that's the case, she has some notable moments considering Puyo Puyo series still get a release in the west (in some cases)

If not, ignore what I said
yes, that's her. She's almost never requested in the West even though Puyo Puyo has been released there.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Wait wut.
Shovel Knight wut.
I swear if that gets confirmed today that'll be the best birthday present EVER.

If Shovel Knight became DLC I would have no excuse not to have played the game yet. I mean I don't have an excuse right now but I would have negative excuses at that point. . .

Of course that is implying this is true :p

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This one is pure gold.
This due is getting really arrogant over this and it's annoying me :glare:

Seriously, you mean that if they deny it then it's true. It can go either way, mate

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
To be honest, I kind of want this to be false. Not because I don't want Shovel Knight, but the flame wars that will ensue. :troll:

And yes, I used a different gif this time. Your welcome.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
Wow in another news,devil third is a bigger wiiu exclusive trainwreck than sonic boom.
Sonic boom 32/100
Devil third 29/100

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
That video by Tamaki has already salt pouring through with "Indie's doesn't deserve to be in Smash" and "Don't want/I won't buy/etc" comments and I'm just;

Yup. Keep saying that when if they do get in, soon after you praise their inclusion and literally flip sides like it's no big deal. You know, like, every character that was hated on before in Smash.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
This due is getting really arrogant over this and it's annoying me :glare:

Seriously, you mean that if they deny it then it's true. It can go either way, mate
If I had my twitter feed swarmed by rabid salty smash fans I'd probably say some stuff that sounded arrogant too.

Strofirko

Smash Master
That video by Tamaki has already salt pouring through with "Indie's doesn't deserve to be in Smash" and "Don't want/I won't buy/etc" comments and I'm just;

Yup. Keep saying that when if they do get in, soon after you praise their inclusion and literally flip sides like it's no big deal.
Remember me when I despised fighting game characters inclusions,and them:4ryu:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Butt Butt in Smash?

I'm skeptical.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
To be honest, I kind of want this to be false. Not because I don't want Shovel Knight, but the flame wars that will ensue. :troll:

And yes, I used a different gif this time. Your welcome.
Not really, it'll just be maybe a full day of discussion and memes and after that, it's dropped at the end.

Remember, we are going off one guy's belief but as we learned from Sal Romano's days; one guy's word can go a long way

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Splatoon did the same thing, which is why Im waiting to buy it. I don't like the timed unlock, if I buy a game it should be 100% available.
I think they're just experimenting with distribution/unlock methods. I mean some people prefer to have all characters unlocked in fighting games. Others like to unlock them. It's the same with stages, music, and modes in other games. Imo, the only real issue is that the unlock frequency is set in stone instead of fully in the hands of players. Someone who plays 5 minutes a day in Mario Maker will unlock stuff faster than someone who plays 3 hours a day once a week. At least in Splatoon there's a stronger correlation between playtime and unlocked items; and stages unlock for everyone simultaneously regardless of playtime.

Splatoon's weapon unlock system is fine (mostly) and mode unlock methods were good at the very beginning: enough people get to level 10 and you unlock ranked matches. Imo, they shoud have done the same for other ranked modes; unlock a new rank mode when enough people reach a certain level. Who knows, maybe they did that behind the scenes (I doubt it)

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Not really, it'll just be maybe a full day of discussion and memes and after that, it's dropped at the end.

Remember, we are going off one guy's belief but as we learned from Sal Romano's days; one guy's word can go a long way
In this guy's defense, Sal had one alleged source that correctly predicted some stuff. This guy claims to have several proven sources.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I've been arguing over iconic status for a long time since DLC was announced, it would be good to see my arguing pay off even though I didn't have Shovel Knight in my prediction list.

I had a feeling that indies we're going to be used at some point.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I've been arguing over iconic status for a long time since DLC was announced, it would be good to see my arguing pay off even though I didn't have Shovel Knight in my prediction list.

I had a feeling that indies we're going to be used at some point.
I wouldn't get ahead of yourself. This is still a long way away from being a reality.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Gotta love how GameXplain hasn't touched this yet.

Usually they're one of the first ones to jump on this sort of thing.
They need atleast some meaning evidence than just one guy's words on Twitter it has to be atleast a small connection

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Proof of Fallout 4 Cross Gen deleted tweets:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/164592-fallout-4/71927603

Project Hammer:
"For the record, I did reach out to Nintendo's Japanese staff who these allegations were directed at to give them an opportunity to tell their side of the story. Only one replied, declining to comment. We have not accused NST of "racism/nationalism", only reported allegations of such. Please distinguish between the two; they are very different."
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMLRIwiB_c

Shout out to @IntelliHeath1 for the picture.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Proof of Fallout 4 Cross Gen deleted tweets:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/164592-fallout-4/71927603

Project Hammer:
"For the record, I did reach out to Nintendo's Japanese staff who these allegations were directed at to give them an opportunity to tell their side of the story. Only one replied, declining to comment. We have not accused NST of "racism/nationalism", only reported allegations of such. Please distinguish between the two; they are very different."
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMLRIwiB_c

Shout out to @IntelliHeath1 for the picture.
These are reasons why it hard to trust him. This is why I bring up Devil's Third, especially when Japan likes the game while U.S. Is meh or hates it so it can go either way but the publishing issue is the reason moreso and him backing down on the NX situation shows that what he says isn't special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom