• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mario 3 vs Mario World
Mario 64 vs Galaxy 1
Sonic 2 vs Sonic 3 (and Knuckles)
Crash 2 vs Crash 3

Most series have two very good games that fans argue over which is best. Zelda has the dubious honor of that being true for near every game. Remember a while back when the Zelda cycle hit singularity and everyone started dumping on Ocarina and holding up Zelda 1 as the perfect game? (perfect for selling game guides maybe)

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Mario 3 vs Mario World
Mario 64 vs Galaxy 1
Crash 2 vs Crash 3

Most series have two very good games that fans argue over which is best. Zelda has the dubious honor of that being true for near every game. Remember a while back when the Zelda cycle hit singularity and everyone started dumping on Ocarina and holding up Zelda 1 as the perfect game? (perfect for selling game guides maybe)
Mario world, Mario galaxy,Sonic 3&K and crash 2.Also rayman origins/legends > entire Dk country series. Come at me bros

Chrono.

Remember a while back when the Zelda cycle hit singularity and everyone started dumping on Ocarina and holding up Zelda 1 as the perfect game? (perfect for selling game guides maybe)
Wasn't this because of Egoraptor's sequellitis?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Mario 3 vs Mario World
Mario 64 vs Galaxy 1
Crash 2 vs Crash 3

and as weird as it sounds, not much argue about TTYD vs pm64.

Most who loves the series loves both and it does vary, but it's really rare that I would see argument on which one is better as most people proffered the former one anyway.

In fact, it's very rare to hate one of these while loving the other :)

I wish there would be a new game that would have more discussion because as much as I love TTYD and pm64, I kinda want more variety without going into spm because now, I don;t think we really need another variation like spm (despite it being awesome :) ).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Mickey and Minnie and the Great Circus Mystery is my childhood jam. You ride on a stick horse and shoot ghosts with a cork gun.

If you want me to be serious for 2D platformers. DKC2 is tier 1 as well as Kirby Superstar and Rocket Knight Adventures. I just wanted the reaction and how is Great Circus Mystery?

Mario 3 vs Mario World
Mario 64 vs Galaxy 1
Crash 2 vs Crash 3

M8, I like you to see the Super Metroid vs Metroid Prime fights, Sonic Adventure 1 vs Adventure 2 and FF 6 vs 7 vs 8 vs 9

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
obscureretroplatformer.jpg

Y'all forgot this one!

But real talk, DKC 2 is the best platformer of all time. That's why Dixie should be in Smash.

Bring it.

Chrono.

Sonic has a lot of these
  1. 2 vs 3&K
  2. Adventure 1 vs Adventure 2
  3. Colors vs Generations
  4. Generations vs Adventure 2

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I'm 21, I've played alot of games. I actually owned Shaq-Fu
You owned Shaq-Fu, you fool, if you kept it you could've become the greatest player on Shaqboards, why did you make such a foolish decision to get rid of it?!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You owned Shaq-Fu, you fool, if you kept it you could've become the greatest player on Shaqboards, why did you make such a foolish decision to get rid of it?!

Not like it matters. My old Genesis was broken and we got rid of the games afterwards

Sonic has a lot of these
  1. 2 vs 3&K
  3. Colors vs Generations
You forgot 3&K vs CD which is now bigger than the 3&K vs 2 arguments by a country mile

Starlight_Lily

Sonic has a lot of these
  1. 2 vs 3&K
  3. Colors vs Generations
Colours and Generations took the gameplay style of 3D Sonic in the wrong direction. Sega should go back to the Adventure gameplay style, then I might actually comeback to the Sonic series. Come at me bro :evil:

I don't hate generations and colours by the way, they just took the series in the direction I have no interest in.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

Mickey and Minnie and the Great Circus Mystery is my childhood jam. You ride on a stick horse and shoot ghosts with a cork gun.

That Game was Brilliant. I remember the bosses so well and the music that accompanied it. And the Jumping sound effect :seuss:
Mind you I played the GBA version but it was still a great game with some pretty good power ups.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
If you want me to be serious for 2D platformers. DKC2 is tier 1 as well as Kirby Superstar and Rocket Knight Adventures. I just wanted the reaction and how is Great Circus Mystery?
DKC2 >>>>> DKC1. There's not even a debate.

Great Circus Mystery is probably better played as a kid. It's a fun game and I have a lot of love for it, but it's pretty darn easy.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to be the odd one out and say that Sonic CD is my personal favorite 2D Sonic game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So, since we're basically sharing our favorite platformers, I thought I'd share my favorite games of all time.
Anyone is welcome to join me.

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - yes, I like it better than both Smash 4 and Melee)
2. Resident Evil
3. Demon's Souls
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
5. The Last of Us
6. Super Mario Sunshine / Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
7. Sonic Colors
8. Soulcalibur 4
9. Pokemon Black Version 2
10. Shovel Knight

...Honestly though, I can't rank these that easily.
EDIT: Said **** it and updated my list.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
World is best Mario 2D platformer. Come at Mii :yoshi:
I have an even more controversial one.

Since I suck at pretty much any 2d mario platformer except spm (which is also an rpg).....

Well spm is my favorite 2d mario paltformer :)

(I actually loved the gameplay anyway).

But seriously, I do love the smw design, it;s just that I suck too much.....

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, since we're basically sharing our favorite platformers, I thought I'd share my favorite games of all time.
Anyone is welcome to join me.

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
2. Resident Evil (GCN)
3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
4. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
5. The Last of Us
6. Soulcalibur 2
7. Shovel Knight
8. Phantasy Star Online
9. Pokemon Black 2
10. Sonic Colors
....you sure they are all platformer?

There's some rpg in there :)

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Favorite games? Xenoblade, Majora's Mask, Windwaker, Mother 3, Earthbound to name a few.

Starlight_Lily

World is best Mario 2D platformer. Come at Mii :yoshi:
No I think we can all agree that the best 2D Mario platfomer is Super Mario Bros 1, since it did start the franchise. And it is also the greatest 2D platformer of all time, since it paved the way for all other 2D platformers to come after it.

Yes I did just use the grandfather clause to try and win the argument, but just try and stop me from using it :troll:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
So seeing as we are discussing 2d platformers.
Just yesterday I bought Shantae and the pirates curse. As it was £5 cheaper than it normally is.
Got to be honest here and say that the game is great. The Sprite work is absolutely wonderful.
The Music is catchy and great to listen too.
And the Level design is also brilliant.
Not to mention the humour, like when you get the Summons.
I was looking forward to 1/2 Genie hero before but now I can't wait to play it :seuss:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Favorite Games (in no particular order) are:
  1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  2. Megaman Battle Network 3
  3. Bayonetta
  4. Metal Gear Rising
  5. Persona 4 Golden
  6. F-Zero X
  7. Punch Out Wii
  8. Fire Emblem Awakening
  9. Mortal Kombat 9
  10. Super Smash Bros

Honorable Mentions; Ultra Street Fighter 4, Megaman X, Super Mario World, Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed, Donkey Kong Country 2, Metroid Zero Mission and Streets of Rage 2

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My list was entirely inaccurate. I apologize.

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - yes, I like it better than both Smash 4 and Melee)
2. Resident Evil
3. Demon's Souls
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
5. The Last of Us
6. Super Mario Sunshine / Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
7. Sonic Colors
8. Soulcalibur 4
9. Pokemon Black Version 2
10. Shovel Knight

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Super Mario World is and will always be the greatest platformer of all time, the fact it was the first game I ever played has no bearing whatsoever in my personal bias.
Favorite games because we're doing this in no specific order(besides the first :^))
The Wonderful 101, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Shovel Knight, Pokemon BW, Sonic Generations and A Link to the Past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom