• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
You guys got it all wrong! The real reason snake isn't in smash:
Made by yours truly a while ago, sorry for the length.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I think Snake is more likely than some of you think.
I'd like to think so but I just don't see it happening.

He has way too many issues holding him back, I believe. But hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
For those of you who think there's not more pre-ballot DLC...

What do you think they're working on? I know they can base selections on early results, but is that what you would call "ballot DLC"?

I can't imagine they aren't hard at work on another character right now.
This is my feeling on the subject. If anything, I think they have at least one character planned right now. The August update will be pretty big, but I think that Nintendo is going to include another character to give it some more hype.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I was thinking about it and you know who would be fun smash characters Lance/Bill from contra.I know it sounds crazy but you know how cool it would be to use the spread shot and lazer as weapons.Oh an whoever gets in could have the other as alts.Just an idea

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I like this image.

It gives me a chance to see who's likely and who's unlikely.

Extremely Likely:
King K. Rool
Wolf

Likely:
Rayman
Bandana Dee
Krystal
Issac (That orange-haired dude to the bottom right looks like Issac, but it might be Chrono.)
Dixie Kong

Unlikely:
Daisy
Toad
Paper Mario
Snake
Eggman
Tails
Knuckles
Banjo-Kazooie
Proto-Man
Sceptile

Extremely Unlikely (Almost Impossible):
Ridley (Of course.)
Waluigi
Geno
Mallow
Fawful
Shadow
Shantae
Black Mage
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Young Link
Pichu
Gooey (Really?)
Chrono (If that is him.)
1.) That's Chrono
2.) Banjo needs to be bumped down a tier. I would say Krystal as well.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Why can't this be real?
This isn't how I imagine a Phoenix Wright trailer would go though. I'd more imagine it starts with him in court defending Mario, it'd be a trailer without the Smash symbol, like Wii Fit Trainer, for that shock.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

What do you think they're working on? I know they can base selections on early results, but is that what you would call "ballot DLC"?

tbh, they might do that, in this case, it would not be preballot because it;s based on the ballot.

But then I still would ask why they would be in an hurry.....

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

They're most likely working on stage DLC or doing work on some stupidly safe character like Wolf. Maybe one guy is trying to get the Ice Climbers to work but the rest of the team has given up trying to convince him/her/it that it's pointless and if they succeed we all reap the renifits.

If they base selections on early results that would be using the ballot and this a ballot character wouldnt it?

I dont know i just cant see there being 5 dlc characters straight from the start before we even use the ballot. :4mewtwo::4lucas::4ryu::4feroy::wolf:

It seems like a huge number to me. Again Im a pessemist only expecting about 7 characters :p

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
How are people still saying that Snake clashes with the design when we have Ryu? The brighter visuals didn't even stop the Zelda cast bar Tink keeping their Twilight Princess (which was even more dark and drab that anything out of Metal Gear) looks. It's not like the game is any less realistic looking, sure Mario dropped the denim overalls but everyone still has intricate design details they don't normally have in their own games (in most cases), Snake would just look like Snake in the game, how doesn't that fit?

We'll never know why he wasn't in unless Sakurai outright states it, but for someone as meticulous as he is, who already went through an ordeal to add Snake to Brawl in the first place, I highly doubt he just dropped him because of the art direction.

As far as pre-ballot being over because of the fanservice comment, were Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy not all highly requested anyway? Would Wolf and/or Snake not also be fanservice even if they were pre-ballot? If anything he probably meant that Ryu was the first and only surprise DLC character and that anyone else, ballot or not, would be fanservice from now until the end.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dont know i just cant see there being 5 dlc characters straight from the start before we even use the ballot. :4mewtwo::4lucas::4ryu::4feroy::wolf:

It seems like a huge number to me. Again Im a pessemist only expecting about 7 characters :p
My guess is they had all six Marios planned prior to the ballot (knowing the six were popular characters) and added the ballot for more once they saw how much Mewtwo had taken off.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Ice Climbers are 0.00000001%. We are working on Sakurai's Famitsu column translation. They even tried removing gravity and downgrading the models....they won't work.

AreJay25

Ice Climbers are 0.00000001%. We are working on Sakurai's Famitsu column translation. They even tried removing gravity and downgrading the models....they won't work.
... What the hell? They actually tried removing the game's gravity?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
... What the hell? They actually tried removing the game's gravity?
I think by that point they were already cut. They were just making 100% sure that they wouldn't work.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thank you! Not that I'm against the ICs returning (that'd be silly) but some of the "Sakurai just didn't try enough" arguments are ridiculous. -_-

Of course he tried. The ICs are a two-time unique vet and sole representative of their series. Of course he tried.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Not even the gravity itself wanted Icies back :troll:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
As far as pre-ballot being over because of the fanservice comment, were Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy not all highly requested anyway? Would Wolf and/or Snake not also be fanservice even if they were pre-ballot? If anything he probably meant that Ryu was the first and only surprise DLC character and that anyone else, ballot or not, would be fanservice from now until the end.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Look at the full translation. Sakurai makes it painfully obvious that Lucas, Roy and Ryu were chosen pre-ballot but he knew that they had "large support", including Ryu.
There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.
Translation

The whole DLC is fanservice, but pre-ballot is 99% likely to be over in my opinion. When introducing Roy and Lucas, Sakurai even mentions that they were the cut veterans from Brawl and Melee, as if that were their special features.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Yeah, I'm not surprised at all.

I found most of the theories about how they could make it as DLC to be a bit ridiculous.

When introducing Roy and Lucas, Sakurai even mentions that they were the cut veterans from Brawl and Melee, as if that were their special features.
Far too many people overlook this, I must say.

Last edited:

AreJay25

So at this rate, we can pretty much confirm that IC's will never be in the game.

... When that article drops, that won't go over well.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So at this rate, we can pretty much confirm that IC's will never be in the game.

... When that article drops, that won't go over well.
Yeah other sites really dropped the ball with this translation. This should have already been known.

We also got a re-translation of the clones, how enemies were chosen for Smash Run, why Sakurai made two versions of the game at the same time, and character separation.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
It was already stated that simply being voted highest woesnt mean the character will be made. It's a ballot of interest, not a deciding ballot. With that in mind it's perfectly reasonable to think they're making a character based on early results. That becomes even more reasonable when you consider Sakurai's most recent words concerning DLC characters.

It's not impossible that they're still working on pre-ballot dlc, but I sure as heck wouldnt put money on it.

That said, it's also obvious that they're working on things right now. It may or may not be a character. We still have modes, stages, music, and most likely more costumes that iirc are supposed to arrive in August. Could they squeeze a character in? Sure, it's possible. But lets not forget that there's still plenty of non-character dlc/updates to work on.

[hopes for Pirate Ship]

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Look at the full translation. Sakurai makes it painfully obvious that Lucas, Roy and Ryu were chosen pre-ballot but he knew that they had "large support", including Ryu.
Translation

The whole DLC is fanservice, but pre-ballot is 99% likely to be over in my opinion. When introducing Roy and Lucas, Sakurai even mentions that they were the cut veterans from Brawl and Melee, as if that were their special features.
Personally I still think he's lying. I think all six Marios were chosen pre-ballot.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Yeah other sites really dropped the ball with this translation. This should have already been known.

We also got a re-translation of the clones, how enemies were chosen for Smash Run, why Sakurai made two versions of the game at the same time, and character separation.
I have to say Pushy.
I salute you and you band of Fellow translators/ authors.
Without you I wouldn't know as much as I do now.
You actually make interesting content which keeps me interested.
Thank you guys.
For all your hard work.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
They even tried removing gravity
That definitely put an interesting image in my head. Space... Climbers rejoin the battle?
I'm blown back by how constructive this response was, you clearly put a lot of effort into writing that post.
Translation

Clearly not this post though. /sarcasm

Is it seriously that much of a stretch? As vague as everything is.
Personally I still think he's lying. I think all six Marios were chosen pre-ballot.
And this is why I say fanservice could refer to pre-ballot as well, we already know that there are two more slots at least, unless there's really only going to be two choices from the ballot.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Snake is most likely not pre-ballot, otherwise Konami would not have been supported Snake on Twitter in the first place.
True, but I don't think someone who runs a twitter account would know much about what goes on behind the scenes with konami.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah I might have to change my predictions with this Ice Climbers. It's a bit heart-breaking. :K

True, but I don't think someone who runs a twitter account would know much about what goes on behind the scenes with konami.
Good point, people have different positions with higher positions having more private stuff going on.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I'm blown back by how constructive this response was, you clearly put a lot of effort into writing that post.
Eh, I think I put in just the right amount of effort given the content I was presented with.

Wishful thinking and mass guessing doesn't really warrant a detailed response.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I might have to change my predictions with this Ice Climbers. It's a bit heart-breaking. :K
Might? :facepalm:

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even without the Marios I just find it ludicrous that Lucas and Roy would be planned for DLC and Wolf wouldn't, especially with Star Fox on the horizon.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Why are people surprised sakurai said the ice climbers wouldn't work a long time ago.There's a difference between hope and denial

R.I.P Ice climbers

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's kind of a repeat of what Sakurai said before saying that everything was done to get IC in the game, unless that was from the same article many news websites having been posting.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Even without the Marios I just find it ludicrous that Lucas and Roy would be planned for DLC and Wolf wouldn't, especially with Star Fox on the horizon.
- Lucas was higher priority in Brawl, based on his and Wolf's instance slots, and their respective roles in the Subspace Emissary.
- The demand for Lucas and Wolf was about equal.
- The Content Approaching stream suggested Sakurai and company chose a cut Melee vet and a cut Brawl vet for DLC Wave 2. After Mewtwo's addition to the roster, Roy was far and beyond the most popular cut Melee vet. Lucas was less of a clear cut winner, but he was a top runner for Brawl's most popular cut vet.
- There is zero precedent for these advertisement theories. Every single time people have predicted a character based on an upcoming/recent release, it has been wrong. There was no real reason to think it'd be any different here.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Thats a darn shame. It is even more sad that people will still blame Sakurai

So they REALLY Wouldn't work then huh. but oh well, they tried

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom