• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Because its Reddit.

There really isn't any other good reason other than that lol.

If they did Wolf would already be in the game lol :p
i agree.

Just for fun.

Maybe a Source Gaming Article if he wants.
i'd figured as much. well carry on. i'll put in my vote on straw polls whenever they come up.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Just because a character destroyed you so badly doesn't mean they should be banished from the game. Keep practicing and one day I'm sure you'll be able to defeat the good Doc. Until then, think happy thoughts and stay far away from anything negative.

Also, watch this, I think it'll help you a lot:
thats actually very condescending.Becuase i see him as just mario in a doctor outfit if he got cut i wouldnt care.I however can see why people want him here becuase they don't like FLUDD and i respect that.Like Wow that literally put me in a foul mood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Smash subreddit has a habit of downvoting these sorts of things. I saw quite a few posts similar to this topic yesterday, and none of them got to the front page.
Because its Reddit.

There really isn't any other good reason other than that lol.

If they did Wolf would already be in the game lol :p
Ah well.

I don't care how many more votes I get as long as I get more honest votes.

Go ahead. :p

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well it's been a about a half hour and the post hasn't really picked up any steam.

Gonna go to bed now, hopefully some actual progress will be made lol.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@ PushDustIn PushDustIn

In the April Direct when Iwata talked about the ballot.

Did he use plural terms for the ballot? Meaning more than one character?

D

Deleted member

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn

In the April Direct when Iwata talked about the ballot.

Did he use plural terms for the ballot? Meaning more than one character?
This would be good to know.
So here's something that came to mind.

Do you all think that they would purposely hold off including certain characters as DLC so that they could be newcomers for Smash 5?
I don't think so. Each Smash game is treated as if it was the last and as long as Sakurai is the director, it will continue to be that way. So if King K. Rool were to not show up for DLC, this isn't because Sakurai wants to hold off on him as a selling point in Smash 5 but because he wasn't deemed worthy.

Inklings are really the only possible exceptions just because they are so new that I think Sakurai would be uncomfortable with adding them when Splatoon is in diapers (it is barely over a month old).

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Hey everyone! Long time no see. Sorry I haven't been around for a while, life has just been getting in the way a lot lately.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Also, I'm going to be a butt and ask @ PushDustIn PushDustIn another quesiton.

Do the Japanese fans care what we want?

Are they aware of our wants?

Do they think our wants have value?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So I got a bit of an out of the blue question for you guys... if all of the DLC had been only returning characters (Mewtwo Roy Lucas Wolf Snake Pichu Squrtle Ivysaur 2hot43ds Climbers etc), with NO new characters or ballot pics (not specifically anyway) How would you feel? As much as new characters excite me, it would certainly be amazing to see every single character in the series' history together at last.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So I got a bit of an out of the blue question for you guys... if all of the DLC had been only returning characters (Mewtwo Roy Lucas Wolf Snake Pichu Squrtle Ivysaur 2hot43ds Climbers etc), with NO new characters or ballot pics (not specifically anyway) How would you feel? As much as new characters excite me, it would certainly be amazing to see every single character in the series' history together at last.
I'd honestly be disappointed. It's nice to see some cut veterans return but I'd prefer mostly new characters as DLC. I find it more exciting to see stuff I haven't experienced delivered rather than old stuff come back. Besides, if I really wanted to play as cut veterans I could just play the previous games.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'd honestly be disappointed. It's nice to see some cut veterans return but I'd prefer mostly new characters as DLC. I find it more exciting to see stuff I haven't experienced delivered rather than old stuff come back. Besides, if I really wanted to play as cut veterans I could just play the previous games.
Yeah, in the long run I think most of us would be dissapointed to an extent. It's what I honestly half expected with Mewtwo and Lucas's reveal in April though, so just food for thought.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Also, I'm going to be a butt and ask @ PushDustIn PushDustIn another quesiton.

Do the Japanese fans care what we want?

Are they aware of our wants?

Do they think our wants have value?
First question, there are no plurals in Japanese. So we don't know.

Some care, others no. It's just like the Western side of Smash.

They are aware. The mega Smash Poll was translated into Japanese for example, and was talked about. I translated a thread about some Japanese users talking about a reddit poll. They didn't know who Shovel Knight was.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
If no characters are cut we can't be excited when they return in SSB5. Leave a few out so we can get hype in 6-8 years time.

#neverstopclimbing

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
First question, there are no plurals in Japanese. So we don't know.

Some care, others no. It's just like the Western side of Smash.

They are aware. The mega Smash Poll was translated into Japanese for example, and was talked about. I translated a thread about some Japanese users talking about a reddit poll. They didn't know who Shovel Knight was.
Interesting.

How much effort would you say they put into learning the other side's tastes?

And what do they think about our tastes?

Like... Less of do they want such and such.

More of, do they think we're stupid for wanting such and such.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Interesting.

How much effort would you say they put into learning the other side's tastes?

And what do they think about our tastes?

Like... Less of do they want such and such.

More of, do they think we're stupid for wanting such and such.
It comes up from time to time. It's the opposite of the English side. Some care others don't. They have requests that no one ask for in English too. Like the Puyo Puyo character. I really want to do some research but I've been too busy with all the projects I currently have. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
I admit, it would be disappointing to have no new characters but as you said; It would be amazing to have every character all together in one game. That's one of the reason's I support all veterans. So I would still be very happy of the outcome even if there's no newcomers.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A lot of Japanese devs don't really have awareness of fan reactions outside of Japan. It took until Twilight Princess for them to realise that Tingle was funny to people in Japan but distressing to American audiences.

It will be interesting to see as his is the first international survey instead of a Japan only one.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If no characters are cut we can't be excited when they return in SSB5. Leave a few out so we can get hype in 6-8 years time.

#neverstopclimbing
There are more than enough characters under the Nintendo umbrella to be excited about without worrying about cutting characters just so they can return later.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I don't want this. The last veteran that should come back is Wolf, and if they can swing it, Ice Climbers. Snake would be fun to have back, and I'd love a solo Squirtle, but we're fine without.

I'd rather move on to new territory.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
i've started playing chrono trigger. i'm pretty enamored. i just got to 2300 ad
Oh man, just wait until you get to the amazingness that is Magus' back story!

Also, I never really thought about, but that game really does have a lot of strong female characters... especially for a game that came out in 1995.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'd be pretty OK with it. Newcomers are cool but I miss what we lost more than I miss something we've never had.

Some of the veterans feel like legitimate holes in the roster, we've lost entire franchises with Snake and Ice Climbers, and unique movesets with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Wolf. Pichu and Young Link aren't necessarily holes, but the rest are IMO. The only newcomer I feel is actually needed is at least 1 DK one.

Newcomers aside from DK ones at this point in time are just gravy, veterans will add a greater sense of completion to the roster.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing about Ivysaur, besides from the obvious of only been chosen to fill the gap between the much more popular Squirtle and Charizard, it's recovery move is a tether so if it did come bak it would not only need a new attack for the down B but it would need a standard recovery. Would they change up Vine Whip to be a Sheik style whip or cut it all together.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I feel like we have an almost perfect roster now. The fact that we are getting even more characters is insane.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
One thing about Ivysaur, besides from the obvious of only been chosen to fill the gap between the much more popular Squirtle and Charizard, it's recovery move is a tether so if it did come bak it would not only need a new attack for the down B but it would need a standard recovery. Would they change up Vine Whip to be a Sheik style whip or cut it all together.
Doesn't Lucas have a Tether recover?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
So do both ZSS/Samus and Links.

He meant as a primary recovery since even Olimar doesn't have one anymore.
Ah, well I find it hard to believe that Sakurai couldn't think of a new recovery for Ivysaur anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom