• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I'm not sure what Dark Pit and Lucina have to do with anything. They didn't really "replace" anybody.

I'm glad they were made into clones rather than alternate costumes. My only real complaint about them is that Alph didn't get the same treatment.
Literally Lucina and Dark Pit got lucky. Since with Lucina all it meant was removing the tipper mechanic from her, then bame easy clone. Same with Dark Pit, change some of what he does around, then easy clone. Where as with Alph, you can't really do anything different, and before anyone says, give him Rock Pikmin, that means making a new model to use, which requires time, and Lucina and Dark Pit were very easy to make. With Lucina probably being the easiest clone to make, since all they had to do was remove the tipper mechanic.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Look at all the money Nintendo apparently doesn't want!

*??? = I'm lazy
I don't see how a bunch of random villains would net them any cash that the actual DLC characters they have planned won't, or sell copies of the game that the actual roster didn't already.

It's not like they can just cram all these characters in, anyway.

Literally Lucina and Dark Pit got lucky. Since with Lucina all it meant was removing the tipper mechanic from her, then bame easy clone. Same with Dark Pit, change some of what he does around, then easy clone. Where as with Alph, you can't really do anything different, and before anyone says, give him Rock Pikmin, that means making a new model to use, which requires time, and Lucina and Dark Pit were very easy to make. With Lucina probably being the easiest clone to make, since all they had to do was remove the tipper mechanic.
You're not telling me anything I don't already know. I'm fully aware of why Lucina and Dark Pit would beat out Alph.

Doesn't make it any less unfortunate, though.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
:)
Fair enough.

I would still pick Tetra before picking Impa, personally. A pirate-based moveset (bomb arrows, cannons, grappling hook?, etc.) sounds really fun to me. Hyrule Warriors should be pretty awesome in that regard. Skyward Sword Impa with quick, weak standard attacks and possibly somewhat defensive magic-based specials also piques my interest.

If I was Sakurai, I would totally throw in Toon Zelda as a semi-clone if I didn't pick either of the above. Toon Link having a toon companion would be great.
I wouldn't be opposed to a Toon Zelda clone either, though obviously I'd rather have Tetra as it's a more unique look and personality.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how a bunch of random villains would net them any cash that the actual DLC characters they have planned won't, or sell copies of the game that the actual roster didn't already.

It's not like they can just cram all these characters in, anyway.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know. I'm fully aware of why Lucina and Dark Pit would beat out Alph.

Doesn't make it any less unfortunate, though.
The whole sentence wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
I simply think they should have included the one or another villain from the start. (Not DLC)

Starlight_Lily

If you use the manual as a source, then Eggman is a feminist and quite a nice guy
Yeah cause imprisoning small animals in machines, kidnapping Amy, stealing Knuckles property and building on his land without permission and trying to murder Sonic and Tails god know how many times, really makes Eggman a nice guy /s

Chrono.

I just looked at Super MD's starter list.

Only 2 are non-starter Pokemon and one of those is Pikachu. Kinda disappointed there.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I wanted to show you all with this roster, is that there are enough villains to choose from.
Even though not all are really wanted, Sakurai could have chosen the one or another as a nice surprise.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Yeah cause imprisoning small animals in machines, kidnapping Amy, stealing Knuckles property and building on his land without permission and trying to murder Sonic and Tails god know how many times, really makes Eggman a nice guy /s

Ryuga was referencing this, not actually trying to say that Eggman is this great guy.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Look at all the money Nintendo apparently doesn't want! (:troll:)

*??? = I'm lazy
Meowth shouldn't be on there, unless a grunt from one of the evil teams grunt is in the background, a Meowth cannot be a villain. And neither should Mewtwo, since he isn't even a villain in the canons he was one in anymore.
Also before anyone says, Smash pulls form Pokemon game canon not Pokemon canon.

Also hold up, why isn't Andross a floating head?!
...I think I need to go lay down...

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Meowth shouldn't be on there, unless a grunt from one of the evil teams grunt is in the background, a Meowth cannot be a villain. And neither should Mewtwo, since he isn't even a villain in the canons he was one in anymore.

Meowth and Mewtwo are there to simply have any Pokémon. (Those twon in particular because Team Rocket, etc.)
And I couldn't find a transparent picture of Andross, so I took what I found.

...Yes, I'm really lazy.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Andross wasn't always a floating head. The floating head is artificial, anyway; he's actually just a brain with eyeballs.

It's the result of him having conducted a multitude of experiments using himself as the guinea pig.

Starlight_Lily

It was in the Heroes manual

Ryuga was referencing this, not actually trying to say that Eggman is this great guy.
Yo know what I said was a joke right? /s-sarcasm.

Andross wasn't always a floating head. The floating head is artificial, anyway; he's actually just a brain with eyeballs.

It's the result of him having conducted a multitude of experiments using himself as the guinea pig.
Now I'm even more confused! If he's only a giant brain with eyeballs how would he fit in that small body on the picture?!

Also who knew brains were able to explode.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's incredible that people complain about Dark Pit and Lucina being clones and saying they should just be alts, yet Dr. Mario is so different from regular Mario that he NEEDS to be a separate character

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's incredible that people complain about Dark Pit and Lucina being clones and saying they should just be alts, yet Dr. Mario is so different from regular Mario that he NEEDS to be a separate character
It's not about whether they're clones that pisses people off, but how they feel almost identical to their counterparts. Dr. Mario feels differently

Burb

The Absolute Worst

There is no other reason.

Dr. Mario using FLUDD would be no less strange than Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures and Alph piloting Olimar's ship.

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Now I'm even more confused! If only a giant brain with eyeballs hwo would he fit in that small body on the picture?!
The idea is from here:
http://musingsofmorons.tumblr.com/post/91404505778/a-newcomer-approaches-andross
Andross has been Team Starfox’s arch enemy in multiple Starfox games and has wrought a lot of destruction throughout the series and its pre-game history. We have always seen him as a disembodied head and hands, so it’s sometimes difficult to remember that he was once a scientist with a torso and limbs. His family members, Andrew and Dash, can lend us some idea of what he may have looked like before his experiments changed him into the form we know.
And the picture is from here:
http://evilwaluigi.deviantart.com/art/Newcomer-Andross-470006029

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For all they say that Veterans need to be started from scratch every time, Dr Mario and Lucas puts it into the perspective that they're still WAAAAAAY easier than making up a newcomer.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
For all they say that Veterans need to be started from scratch every time, Dr Mario and Lucas puts it inot the persective that they're still WAAAAAAY easier than making up a newcomer.
False, if the veteran was in the last game, it's easier to pull the data from, Mewtwo wasn't in Brawl and took as much time as a newcomer would, Lucas was in Brawl, so they took the data and tweaked it a bit

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Simple. Have you ever played a fighting game and noticed there's an alternative form to the main character
image.jpg

You know the Evil Ryu, Devil Jin and all the likes. :4drmario: is in that same regard, different play style, maneuvers (probably since :4mario: still has FLUUD and his Tornado is now his D-air.

I can accept Doc because while people may ***** and moan about how we can't have two of the same character, the main character can get away with it somewhat for a different playstyle. :drmario: is a character who fit the role of a Dark/Evil form of a character. We can get away with Doc

:4darkpit::4lucina: can't get away from that since they are the straw that broke the camel's back in most cases. These two are same vein but as different characters and have no reason to not be alts especially :4darkpit: who was an alt and have the same voice actor but since he's a different character that means something somehow.

Chrono.

Evil Ryu is such a paradox because he's just Ryu with Akuma's moveset (with maybe one or 2 new moves).

He's a clone of a clone while also being a clone of himself.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Dark Pit could have had a completely unique moveset, really. Hell, he could have used his staff.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Not siding with them but Dr. Mario had a lot of complaints initially in Melee, I think even in Melee the clones as a whole had a lot of criticism. He probably got the least of the complaints this time because he isn't a new clone. Similar to how Falco and Toon Link got away scott free this time since they're veterans. With that said though, I think Lucina mostly got away with it as well for some reason, unless I'm looking in the wrong area. Poor Dark Pit though, universally hated.

With that said, I agree with you. They're better off as clones than alts and I'm happy that they're separate.

Dark Pit could have had a completely unique moveset, really. Hell, he could have used his staff.
They could, but in a way, if Dark Pit was going to have a completely unique moveset, he would've been cut from the initial roster. He literally only made it because of the whole alt costume/clone development backstory.

Last edited:

AreJay25

They could, but in a way, if Dark Pit was going to have a completely unique moveset, he would've been cut from the initial roster. He literally only made it because of the whole alt costume/clone development backstory.
Yeah, you're right. I would have loved it if he were unique but I completely understand why he isn't.

Somehow, though, I feel like him having a unique moveset would have just drawn more hate from people.

D

Deleted member

Dr. Mario using FLUDD would be no less strange than Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures and Alph piloting Olimar's ship.
If I wasn't heading right out the door to go to work, I'd explain in full detail why this statement is utter hogwash.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Here's the problem most people have. Not that they're clones, but how same-y they feel
Dark Pit is a literal clone of Pit, so him feeling samey is fine.

And considering Lucina actually called herself Marth in an attempt to disguise herself I'd say that's fine too.

They wouldn't have ever made it with unique movesets, it was this or nothing, and they're totally authentic so it's fine.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Talking about clones? Here's my two cents on the matter.

:4drmario: - Thanks to the F.L.U.D.D., he's got some slight differences to Mario, making him less of a clone (even if it is only 2 moves). I wished he had a special involving a Virus a la Peach's NeutralB though :grin:

:4darkpit: - He's a literal clone of Pit in Uprising, so him having a nearly similar moveset isn't surprising, but I kinda wished he had some of Pit's Brawl moves to make him more different (would've loved the Spinning Bow SideB).

:4lucina: - She's basically a "I don't give a **** about spacing that tipper" version of Marth, which kinda sucks. I like that she's in the game, but she would've had nothing but advantages from being an alt. Still nice to see her though.

AreJay25

I like how they actually bothered to give Lucina two new animations for her neutral b and down b.

Also Dark Pit's side tilt having less knockback is the most inconsequential thing.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
:4darkpit:Maybe that's what annoyed people.
The fact he has his Staff in his official art.
But It sure does make for a cool looking Amiibo.
Seeing how it nearly pierces through the box.

Talking about clones? Here's my two cents on the matter.

:4drmario: - Thanks to the F.L.U.D.D., he's got some slight differences to Mario, making him less of a clone (even if it is only 2 moves). I wished he had a special involving a Virus a la Peach's NeutralB though :grin:

:4darkpit: - He's a literal clone of Pit in Uprising, so him having a nearly similar moveset isn't surprising, but I kinda wished he had some of Pit's Brawl moves to make him more different (would've loved the Spinning Bow SideB).

:4lucina: - She's basically a "I don't give a **** about spacing that tipper" version of Marth, which kinda sucks. I like that she's in the game, but she would've had nothing but advantages from being an alt. Still nice to see her though.
:4drmario:In terms of the Doc he is also Slower and has a worse recovery than Mario.
His Side B doesn't give him any extra Air time and his Up B also has more oomph.

:4darkpit:Dark Pit had the addition of launching People Diagonally upwards with his Side B while Pit launces them straight up.
His B is also different as we all know.
Not gonna lie though I would have loved him to have that Wonderful Up B Pit had in Brawl.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I have no idea what they were thinking with balancing Dr. Mario, he looks like inferior to Mario in just about every way? A lot of the data I've read about him seems really poor. Correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

Aren't clones suppose to have both advantages and disadvantages compared to the base character?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom