• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Not really anything noteworthy in the new update apparently.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
cultural relativism doesn't excuse the stuff being there to begin with?
let's take, say... madoka. madoka is a show about girls being punished for having self-agency, yet lots of westerners interpret it as empowering because it's from a different point of view. that doesn't make it any less ****ed up.
Does it?

Look this is awful similar to Cutie Honey's case.

If you do t know what that is, it's an anime starring a heroine who's clothes get ripped to shreds every episode.

Western viewers don't like it.

Oddly japanese women loved it. Cutie became their idol.

They saw her as a positive role model. She was beautiful, confident, kind, and had a kick butt attitude.

And that's what she was intended to be with fan service being shoes in for the males.

Again, we hated it and thought it was the opposite. It hurt women.

Cultural relativism is real. It happns every day. Because the only power fiction has is the power and meaning we give it.

When the Little Mermaid was first released, feminists applauded Ariel's character. She was a princess who explored, went out and did things. She knew what she wanted and did what she could to get it.

Nowadays, she's seen as horribly sexist.

Fiction always had cultural relativism and always will.

If we can't appreciate fiction for what it is intended to be, we have no right to attacking what it can be. Otherwise, we become ego and ethnocentric. I'm not saying you can't be displeased by something. It's not exactly my cup of tea either, but attacking it when it isn't even shaped around our culture and beliefs is bad.

Regardless, none of this matters because of localization.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I decided to drop in and see what was going on, and as I was reading this page I was getting all excited to go to sleep all hyped and wake up to a character or two found in the files.

Then I saw that there is apparently nothing there.

It's 11:53 PM where I live (oh no I said my location and someone will track me down and kill me) and I'm going to bed.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
LOL I just posted RTB's tweet on Reddit, and literally not a minute later someone posted a fake decryption. Wow.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
When the Little Mermaid was first released, feminists applauded Ariel's character. She was a princess who explored, went out and did things. She knew what she wanted and did what she could to get it.

Nowadays, she's seen as horribly sexist.

If we can't appreciate fiction for what it is intended to be, we have no right to attacking what it can be. Otherwise, we become ego and ethnocentric. I'm not saying you can't be displeased by something. It's not exactly my cup of tea either, but attacking it when it isn't even shaped around our culture and beliefs is bad.

I heard that if you go on Tumblr at midnight and say Yhcrairtap (pronounced "Eek-ra-ear-tap") 3 times, a feminist will be summoned and will call everything and everyone you love mysogonistic. #giveyourmoneytowomen #endfathersday #theseareactualhashtagsthatweretrendingontwitter

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I heard that if you go on Tumblr at midnight and say Yhcrairtap (pronounced "Eek-ra-ear-tap") 3 times, a feminist will be summoned and will call everything and everyone you love mysogonistic. #giveyourmoneytowomen #endfathersday #theseareactualhashtagsthatweretrendingontwitter
Alright, I vote we do NOT head in this direction.

So, is anyone here competing in EVO?

AreJay25

So people are guessing that the update had something to do with this.

Not entirely implausible, but this was just 5 days ago...

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Pretty much.

It's wireless, so that's a plus. It also works with games outside of Smash.
Honestly I love my pro controller. This may not be too bad. Only problem with the wireless controllers is syncing issues I would expect. Unless it functions differently than the pro controller.

AreJay25

Wouldn't this count as rebalancing, in a weird way?
I'd think so, but then I remembered something: Most, if not all, Wii U hacks were done on older firmware.

So if that hack was done on older firmware... Sakurai updated the game just so he could stop something that most people can't even do.

The more I think about it, the more pointless this patch seems.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Found this on reddit.

Doesn't look TOO terrible... but the Ice Climbers look way too low-poly. Not to mention Ice Climbers in general, seeing as they would have to be Wii U exclusive methinks. And as for Pichu...

Uh...

Yeah

EDIT:

Well that lasted a solid 30 seconds.

Last edited:

AreJay25

Found this on reddit.

Doesn't look TOO terrible... but the Ice Climbers look way too low-poly. Not to mention Ice Climbers in general, seeing as they would have to be Wii U exclusive methinks. And as for Pichu...

Uh...

Yeah

From the same Reddit thread.

Soul.

I'd be down for ICs if they took the time needed for them to work on 3DS. Maybe change them a bit, I dunno. Making a character exclusive to one version is kinda saying "we don't need the other one" imo

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Don't believe any datadumps that doesn't come from soneek, nwplayer, RandomTalkingbush, or crediar.I'm sure if there's something to find one of those guys will do it.

Chrono.

Found this on reddit.

Uh...

Yeah

EDIT:

Well that lasted a solid 30 seconds.
At least they didn't go for the generic 3DS blurry CSS screenshot lol

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN

I understand where you're coming from, I'm pretty sure I know what you're saying, and I agree to an extent, but they way you're saying it (to me at least) makes it seem like you think people have no right to criticize fiction, which I do not agree with. I know you said "attack", but contextually it seems like you're referring to "critique"

There's nothing wrong with critiquing fiction or anything or anyone else, regardless of whether you appreciate it or not. It's only potentially problematic when those critiques and words exchanges go beyond the topic or beyond words. I say "potentially" because there were moments in both the real and fictional worlds where critique has brought positive change: The fictional film I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang actually played a strong role removing the chain gang system and moving the US government to do more for it's veterans; and critique and difference of beliefs/culture concerning of the US slave system resulted in a war that resulted in my race being free.....though we were and honestly still are 2nd class citizens on far too many occasions.

Heck, I'm religious and many people see my faith as fictitious; does that mean that I or my religion can't be questioned, just because it's a belief that a critic may not share?

Cultural relativism is just a single point in a counter critique. A difference in beleifs doesnt make something inherently right, which mean it should at the very least be open to discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom