• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I responded to someone asking if anyone else was interested in the game, expressing my own interest.

I'm sorry?
The way you quoted "doesn't belong" felt like a bit of a jab at a complaint about fanservice in FE feeling out of place. And the last bit of your post isn't helping your case either.

But if that's not the case then I apologize, it came off the wrong way to me.

But whatever, I'll drop it.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
This is why we need to change topics. This is one of those things that people start getting heated over.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://gonintendo.com/stories/23681...ikes-the-idea-of-chibi-robo-and-pikmin-worlds
Coming from Nintendo's Kensuke Tanabe...

On Chibi-Robo and Pikmin universes colliding:

"That's an interesting idea, and something I could speak to Mr Miyamoto about a collaboration."
I'd like to see this happen. :O
(Especially as a Pikmin fan)

http://gonintendo.com/stories/236798-reggie-more-nintendo-world-championships-never-say-never-abo
Totilo: “Yes, so how am I not supposed to ask you about ....”

Fils-Aime: “My laser eyes will blow you away. [Note from Stephen: He’s referencing a joke about responding to Mother 3 questions from last year’s Nintendo E3 video.] Look, again, I think this is an example that demonstrates we’re constantly listening. We’re hearing what the fans say. And we thought it was great to bring back the very first Mother, Earthbound Beginnings here in the market. It’s been out for sale and doing quite well in the eShop. Again, we’ll never say never, but there’s nothing to announce right now.”

Totilo: “Of course not. But Earthbound, when that came out about a year ago [Note from Stephen: whoops, make that two years ago!] on Virtual Console, did you guys have an expectation about how that would do? Did that exceed expectations and perhaps influence the decision to release this one?”

Fils-Aime: “The Mother/Earthbound series is quite niche. And so for us it’s constantly thinking about the investment and then return for a game like that. There is quite a bit of localization to be done and we just need to make sure that volumetrically there’s enough volume to offset that investment.”

Totilo: “Is it safe to assume that you guys are pretty happy with how Earthbound was received last year and that helped motivate and get Mother 1 out?”

Fils-Aime: “That’s exactly right. “

Last edited:

Naoshi

This is why we need to change topics. This is one of those things that people start getting heated over.
I agree. I'm done with the subject, I've said my views on it and I don't plan to go further anymore.

I gotta leave in a few hours anyways

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://gonintendo.com/stories/23679...rime-federation-force-reaction-and-fans-wanti
On negative reaction to Nintendo’s unveiling of a new Metroid Prime spin-off game:

Fils-Aime: “Here’s what I would state: we know what our fans want. We will also push the envelope in developing something that we know is high-quality and that we know will deliver in the marketplace. The best example I can give you of this, and I think you will appreciate it, is Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. Remember when that art style was first shown. The uproar from the Zelda community was intensely negative. If there had been social media then, there probably would have been a petition to make that game go away.”

Totilo: “I guess you’ve seen the Metroid petition.”

Fils-Aime: “So, the game is developed, becomes one of the most beloved games of all time, one of the most highly-rated games of all time, so I use that example to say: ‘We know what we’re doing, trust us, play the game and then we can have a conversation.’”

Totilo: “And I’m not... Next Level Games is making it, and I believe in them, because Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon is fantastic. Mr. Tanabe has overseen many a great game. I think the question for me, which is a little different than what I’ve seen from some of our readers, I’m not so convinced that this game is going to be bad just because it doesn’t look like what I want. But my curiosity is: Do they [Nintendo] know that people still want a Samus Aran adventure?

Fils-Aime: “Absolutely.”

Totilo: “I was surprised there was no messaging that said, ‘Don’t worry, we know you’re interested in this as well....’”

Fils-Aime: “Look, we know that the fans want a straight Samus Aran game. We also know that the best way to launch a game like that is to surprise and delight them, to give them a launch date, in an environment like this let them play it vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things. We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it.”
He brings up good points here.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The way you quoted "doesn't belong" felt like a bit of a jab at a complaint about fanservice in FE feeling out of place. And the last bit of your post isn't helping your case either.

But whatever, I'll drop it.
I'm not saying "oh take the fanservice like a man and enjoy it." You don't like it? That's perfectly fine. Everyone has different views, and if you don't want to buy a game for what I personally find to be a trivial reason, well that has nothing to do with me.

I wasn't making jabs at anyone, just throwing out my own opinion.

Naoshi

I'm not saying "oh take the fanservice like a man and enjoy it." You don't like it? That's perfectly fine. Everyone has different views, and if you don't want to buy a game for what I personally find to be a trivial reason, well that has nothing to do with me.

I wasn't making jabs at anyone, just throwing out my own opinion.
Alright, I'll take your word for it then. Glad it's cleared up.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Is it already too late to light everyone's spirits up by posting this?

I'm sorry if this already has been posted before.

Naoshi

the sacred stones is most similar to awakening. it also took some elements from gaiden but that was for the nes so it might not appeal
the blazing sword is well liked. it was called just fire emblem upon release here
the tellius games (path of radiance and radiant dawn) are the fan favorites, but they're really hard (and expensive if you can't emulate)
western fans tend to like genealogy of the holy war but you'd have to find a fan translation
I have Sacred Stones on my 3DS Ambassador. I'll give it a go once I get my N3DS XL. Thanks!

Alternatively, I can just get it on my Wii U or the regular backlit modded GBA. I don't really like how the GBA games are displayed on the 3DS... Hmm....

mark welford

Smash Ace
Now that I think about it Krystal isn't really out of existence in SF0 because we know where she was and she was doing during 64 she just hasn't came into the story yet if it's somewhere during 64.

Naoshi

Now that I think about it Krystal isn't really out of existence in SF0 because we know where she was and she was doing during 64 she just hasn't came into the story yet if it's somewhere during 64.
It's hard to say but I have a feeling that the canon is kind of tossed out the window if this is a reboot (which is looking likely). But I can still see Krystal getting reintroduced in some way in the future.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
It's hard to say but I have a feeling that the canon is kind of tossed out the window if this is a reboot (which is looking likely). But I can still see Krystal getting reintroduced in some way in the future.
I kind of want to see Nintendo pick up right after Assault and I also want to see them pick up after Metroid Fusion.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can see why Nintendo doesn't say that something is coming until it's really close to release.

But personally I feel that shows how out of touch they are with the hype scene in making a game these days.

I can get it with something like Mario Kart or Splatoon or Smash Brothers, where part of the hype is the excruciating details of who will be playable, what new features and weapons their will be, etc.

But there's absolutely no harm and it'd probably help them impress more in E3's and big showings against other companies to slap a Metroid symbol or F-Zero symbol and just go ''Soon."

After all I can't think of a time really where Sony or Microsoft has said ''SOON!" for a big ranchise and then five or six years later it's still not here.

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Which FE games would you guys recommend other than Awakening?
I'll drop the Fire Emblem subject afterwards for the sake of everybody else asking, but I do strongly suggest either Fire Emblem (Rekka no Ken) on the Game Boy Advance, or Path of Radiance on the GameCube. I'd start with Rekka no Ken, since it served as an introduction for several Fire Emblems fans. The in-game tutorial is especially helpful in understanding Fire Emblem's dynamics as a whole, and some of the supports are actually very well-done, and give a good-to-great amount of character development. Path of Radiance has very good map designs to play on, as well as missions requiring different objectives than the usual kill-or-be-killed. These two are usually held as standard bearers for Fire Emblem.

The early Genealogy of the Holy War on the SNES is also a good suggestion, although it is a difficult game and plays much differently than recent Fire Emblem titles, at least in terms of how it feels. Chapters span multiple battles rather than one (which requires breaks with saves), you need to play out strategic tactics that aren't used in later entries, and its Game of Thrones-esque storyline is among the most mature in the series, if not the most. However, there is a marriage system similar to Awakening, although the gameplay feature is actually far more important to the overall storyline (which I won't spoil here) and it's not done as a means of excessive fan-service, either. There is a good variety in what to do.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
fire emblem fates lets you undress people and have children with your siblings

i don't even have a response for this
Maybe it not a literal "sibling". From the trailers it seemed like the main character forcefully adopted. Maybe it's a step-sibling.....it's still be awkward, but at least it wouldnt be straight up incest...

Each day I want to avoid FE Fates even more and more. I get that it's optional... but it's honestly kind of weird and completely out of place in a game like FE. It's kinda disturbing honestly.
I agree. And this is coming from someone who plays Bayonetta(a lot), Skullgirls (a good bit) and Senran Kagura (just barely). Some games just dont need and (imo) shouldnt have certain options.

Some of these arguments..... "The incest is optional".

Not everyone needs to be catered to for a game to be enjoys by the masses. Sometimes adding certain options really changes the feel/spirit of a game:
  • Slightly modifying the weapon triangle
  • adding a transform mechanic similar to the laguz
  • extending the relationship mechanic to allow marriage/children
  • allowing incest

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Miyamoto kind of annoys me. I don't even like Krystal, nor am I all that big a fan of Star Fox, really, but the only reason Krystal is even in the franchise is because Miyamoto insisted Dinosaur Planet become a Star Fox game, and then he decides to drop the character, despite her popularity.

He did something similar with the Zelda franchise, completely butchering Four Swords Adventures because it would've retconned away the connection between OoT and ALTTP. And given his opinion about Rosalina, it really seems like the guy thinks that the only things that matter in his franchises are the things he created himself.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Miyamoto kind of annoys me. I don't even like Krystal, nor am I all that big a fan of Star Fox, really, but the only reason Krystal is even in the franchise is because Miyamoto insisted Dinosaur Planet become a Star Fox game, and then he decides to drop the character, despite her popularity.

He did something similar with the Zelda franchise, completely butchering Four Swords Adventures because it would've retconned away the connection between OoT and ALTTP. And given his opinion about Rosalina, it really seems like the guy thinks that the only things that matter in his franchises are the things he created himself.
This kind of bugs me too if I'm being honest about him.

But that probably shocks no one considering how big of a Rosalina fan I am.

When you're the vehicle behind a long running franchise and others create key characters and elements and popular ones? Give them the proper respect.

Heck, I just write and run another website where people post their stories and scripts to write and I'll freely admit even though I've written a majority of the material in my scripts, a few of my helpers and friends have created some of the talked about favorites from readers.

Miyamoto just doesn't strike me as very humble in this regard.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This thread has been interesting the past few pages. The FE stuff is weird. Where's the pictures come from?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay....

The fan service is going too far.

This is ridiculous.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I was excited for the new Fire Emblem, and I've only played one game in the franchise, but even I find the new game stranger.

I was all about it when it was first announced, but now it's just....weird.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
For the record, Ive only ever done Ricken x Nowi. Thats the rule no exceptions. Im not sure I want to look at FE:F right now. Theyre really oddballing it right now.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
This kind of bugs me too if I'm being honest about him.

But that probably shocks no one considering how big of a Rosalina fan I am.

When you're the vehicle behind a long running franchise and others create key characters and elements and popular ones? Give them the proper respect.

Heck, I just write and run another website where people post their stories and scripts to write and I'll freely admit even though I've written a majority of the material in my scripts, a few of my helpers and friends have created some of the talked about favorites from readers.

Miyamoto just doesn't strike me as very humble in this regard.
The Zelda franchise is stuck with a completely ridiculous second timeline split that none of the fans like, and which doesn't even follow the internal logic of the first split, all because Miyamoto intended OoT to be a retelling of the backstory to Alttp. Nevermind that OoT had more continuity errors with Alttp than the Star Wars prequels did for the Original Trilogy, but after Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, there was really no way the two games could lead into each other, original intention or not. So Eiji Anouma, who actually seems to care about the larger story, sets out to make Four Swords Adventures as the true backstory to Alttp, going so far as to add the Four Sword itself into the GBA port of Alttp, but then about 90% of the way through development, Miyamoto steps in and vetoes the whole idea.

Now FSA isn't even on the same timeline as Alttp, despite it leading into it near perfectly.

It's incredibly ironic that Miyamoto, who is so intent on keeping the Zelda story simple and easy to follow for newcomers, introduced the largest cluster**** in the whole franchise.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

So...

Wasn't it said that Kamui isn't the real sibling to either side?

Please. Incest is yucky.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Top 10 games of all time; sheesh, that's not a lot to work with. I'll start with a top 25-ish in no particular order for reference, since that's much more indicative of my overall taste. (Note that DKC2 and Mother 3 would definitely make at least this list, but I'm withholding judgment on games I've yet to finish):

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mario Kart Double Dash!!
Paper Mario (64)
Paper Mario: TTYD
Super Paper Mario
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Air Ride
EarthBound Beginnings
EarthBound
Pokémon Fire Red
Pokémon White 2
Super Smash Bros. (64)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. 4
Donkey Kong Country
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
+A bunch of Namco games all bundled together? Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, Super Pac-Man, Pac-Mania, Pac-Man Arrangement (1996), Sky Kid, Metro-Cross, etc. don't make the list alone, but together they've made up a huge part of my gaming history.

For a top ten, probably these (again in no particular order):

Super Mario Bros. 3 - The first Mario game I ever owned (the GBA version), and still in my opinion the most tightly designed game in the series. So many fond memories of this one, due in part to the amount of time it took me to finally beat the game (given that I'd practically never played video games beforehand).

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe / The Lost Levels - Another one of the first Mario games I ever owned, and easily the one I logged the most time on. Since I rarely got new games in the early days of my gaming, this one stuck for the long haul because of its near limitless content, between "Super Players mode" (which took me a year and a half to finally beat) and Challenge mode. As far as handheld games went, I played this game nigh exclusively throughout late 2004 and most of 2005, easily logging hundreds of hours in my quest to eventually break 2.5 million in Challenge Mode.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - By far my favorite game in the series as far as the controls go. I played this one a good deal with my siblings, and was one of the few games my neighbors were interested in at the time. In my opinion, there's never going to be a better Battle Mode experience than Bob-omb Battles on Pipe Plaza.

Paper Mario (64) - Definitely a close call between the first three games, but my pick has to go to the original for the sheer number of times I've beaten it in comparison (8 or so, compared to 2 and 3 for the sequels, respectively). I admire TTYD's Pit of 100 Trials and much more-fleshed battle system, as well as SPM's great attempts at innovation, but there's something about the simplicity in the original that kept me playing it all this time.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The only of the Mario & Luigi series I'd definitely put at least at the caliber of the original two Paper Mario games, if not above them. I got this around 2006 just after an accident with my GBA SP left it unable to read most of my saved games, so by sheer happenstance my sister and I figured out that we could control the Bros. separately by playing it on the Gamecube's Game Boy Player with 2 controllers. If this game doesn't sell you enough with its energy, wacky sense of humor, and really satisfying Bros. Attacks, do yourself a favor and play it through with a friend (I'm pretty sure you can do the same on the Wii U VC with a GamePad and another controller), and see if that doesn't completely change your mind.

Kirby Air Ride - The game I discovered the most recently, since Kirby was mostly off my radar back in the day, and had a good long hiatus on the console side when I started getting more games. But goodness if City Trial isn't one of the most fantastic things to ever come out of gaming. You have to have just the right person or people to play it with, but it's impossible to stop if you do. (My brother and I have seriously played nearly 100 matches within a week's time.)

EarthBound Beginnings - Honestly, what wins me over about this game more than its successor is likely the roundabout way I got into it. I'd always liked Ness in Smash Bros. Melee even if I was terrible at him (because hey, he looked like a Peanuts character and all that). When I found some MOTHER tracks that were allegedly cut from Brawl's soundtrack (as it turns out, apparently they weren't, or at least not these versions), I fell in love with the series' music, and even more so when I stumbled upon the original MOTHER vocal album. I found Tomato's translation of MOTHER 1+2 and played it through, loving it all the way.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Honestly, I haven't played this game in a very long time, but it was my first Smash, and I had a ton of friends that were into it from 2007-2008. I personally have far fonder memories of the single-player, though; aside from Multi-Man Melee, there wasn't a single mode that wasn't at its best in that game. I got all the trophies unlocked on three separate savefiles, I loved the game that much.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (+hacks) - While SSBB is undoubtedly my least favorite mechanically of the series (as I discovered a mere three months in), its two fantastic saving graces were the Subspace Emissary and the Brawl hacking scene. I've beaten the SSE three times, once through with a sibling (and it's high time I played it again), and the vast majority of my 6,000+ matches logged were played either in (a heavily modded) Brawl Minus or Project M 3.0. I have a good amount of the wackier moments in the former hack archived here, for good measure, but suffice it to say, Brawl Minus was a favorite college activity of mine and several of my friends.

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure - By far the most overlooked entry on my list, I have my freshman year college roommate to thank entirely for introducing me to it. This game may have been made at EA Tiburon (of all places), but its charm, difficulty curve, level design, and soundtrack are on par with many of the best of the Mario games. More than that, it was probably the biggest influence in my decision to get into the game industry myself, and I can only hope to be a part of a project this fantastic eventually. (Although in the meantime, the composer for this game is one of my co-workers, so that rocks!)

So yeah, in short, nostalgia is the #1 way to my heart. At least it's pretty easy to fake, though; I only played through the first bit of DKC2 with my sister this past Christmas, and I wish we'd been able to finish it, because it felt just like old times; easily as good as the original.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait...

The creepy petting things are only for S rank and above?

Dude.

I AM ALL FOR MARRIED COUPLES GETTING INTIMATE WITH EACH OTHER!!!

We all have this idea that marriage is bad. It's refreshing seeing married couples having the fun time. I think more couple need the happy with each other. I feel so much discourse between spouses would be solved it they just well...

Not sure this is the best way to display it but...

I think it's better now.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Multiple timelines could be way worse.

Luckily Zelda hasn't reached horror franchise status, but it's close..

Look at the Halloween franchise for example.

That's a time line nightmare.

Jamie Lee Timeline: Halloween, Halloween 2, Halloween: H20, Halloween: Resurrection

The ''Original" Timeline before she came back: Halloween, Halloween 2, Halloween 4, Halloween 5, Halloween 6.

The fan time lne: All the films prior to the remakes.

Reboot Timeline: Rob Zombie's Halloween, Rob Zombie's H2.

Then there's just Halloween 3, sitting all alone when it was going to become anthology series.

And to **** it over even more? The next film might for go all timelines and be a soft reboot that follows the original two Halloweens and creates another fricking timeline.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Multiple timelines could be way worse.

Luckily Zelda hasn't reached horror franchise status, but it's close..

Look at the Halloween franchise for example.

That's a time line nightmare.

Jamie Lee Timeline: Halloween, Halloween 2, Halloween: H20, Halloween: Resurrection

The ''Original" Timeline before she came back: Halloween, Halloween 2, Halloween 4, Halloween 5, Halloween 6.

The fan time lne: All the films prior to the remakes.

Reboot Timeline: Rob Zombie's Halloween, Rob Zombie's H2.

Then there's just Halloween 3, sitting all alone when it was going to become anthology series.

And to **** it over even more? The next film might for go all timelines and be a soft reboot that follows the original two Halloweens and creates another fricking timeline.
Comics are the worst examples of this. Especially on the DC side of things.

Marvel does it every once in a blue moon

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Comics are the worst examples of this. Especially on the DC side of things.

Marvel does it every once in a blue moon
One reason I'm not more into DC despite it having some interesting concepts and characters is that they're universe/universes is a confusing confusing mess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom