• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

HEEEEEEEEEEELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was planning on starting FGO this summer but if this is a limited event I would download early. I need Suit Saber/Suit avatar
:061:
It's limited, yeah. Don't know exactly how long it'll stay up but I'd bet until March 10th since that's when the F/Z event ends.
I'd say the quests are hard based on the non-limited mystic codes but it'd be really easy to steamroll them with a high-level support Servant.
Iskander is also coming soon and he's limited as well btw

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Every time someone brings up how big Shovel Knight is, all I can think about is how Touhou is a media cash cow franchise that utterly dominates and is synonymous with the Japanese indie scene and yet even on a site as weeby as this one I never see any calls for Reimu for Smash.
Probably because Touhou started as a PC game that doesn't have as many ties to Nintendo while Shovel Knight debutted on Nintendo consoles as a love letter to old-school NES games, mainly Mega Man. Also, because Smashboards is a mainly western site and SK is obviously much bigger in the west than the niche weeby Touhou.
I don't think Touhou even has a main series game on a Nintendo console actually.

It's limited, yeah. Don't know exactly how long it'll stay up but I'd bet until March 10th since that's when the F/Z event ends.
I'd say the quests are hard based on the non-limited mystic codes but it'd be really easy to steamroll them with a high-level support Servant.
Iskander is also coming soon and he's limited as well btw
so. . .basically download the game now or im ****ed out of cool suits AND Bro-skandar

welp. Off to become a Master.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Every time someone brings up how big Shovel Knight is, all I can think about is how Touhou is a media cash cow franchise that utterly dominates and is synonymous with the Japanese indie scene and yet even on a site as weeby as this one I never see any calls for Reimu for Smash.
Reimu is pleb; Sanae or Marisa are better choices :V

Chrono.

Eh this site ain't that weeby all everyone really does is play Fire Emblem lol

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
800 pages and only 797 were about Fire Emblem! ^_^
I tried my best to make other kinds of conversations, if that helps.

1. Most people here aren't Japanese. So the Japanese Indie scene isn't as notable to people here as the Western Indie games.
2. Shovel Knight's a cooler looking character.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

so. . .basically download the game now or im ****ed out of cool suits AND Bro-skandar

welp. Off to become a Master.
Don't feel too pressured though, starting now, you'd have a better shot at Iskander by resetting until you get him(and he doesn't come until next week). Quartzes aren't exactly easy to get quickly and I don't think you get enough for a full pull when you start(instead, the game gives you a free 10x roll on a tutorial gacha with no 5* avaible but a guaranteed 4*).

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm just sayin', most people aren't suggesting Shovel Knight on the strength of the character or even the game, but on its significance as an Indie title. Touhou is such a huge part of the Japanese indie scene Comiket classifies it as its own genre.

Don't feel too pressured though, starting now, you'd have a better shot at Iskander by resetting until you get him(and he doesn't come until next week). Quartzes aren't exactly easy to get quickly and I don't think you get enough for a full pull when you start(instead, the game gives you a free 10x roll on a tutorial gacha with no 5* avaible but a guaranteed 4*).
oh this one gas resest then, huh?

never actually bothered with resetting before. Probably wont now. Although an excuse not to play for a while so i dont get addicted aint too bad.

also did you mean may 10th? march 10th already passed :p

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Yo does anyone have the full story of the guy that turned into a cockroach that apparently popped up on the Animal Crossing website?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
1. Most people here aren't Japanese. So the Japanese Indie scene isn't as notable to people here as the Western Indie games.
The majority of the game's developers are.

While I don't think for a second that Touhou's going to get reps, I've always found it pretty questionable how so much of the western Smash community seems to think we're going to get an indy rep, and it's destined to be Shovel Knight or Shantae.

Yeah, we have gotten characters based on Western popularity in the past (Little Mac), but the Japanese audience at least knew who he was. These supposed indy icons are virtually unknown over there, and that's why they're probably not going to happen no matter how much begging Yacht Club and Wayforward do.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Who approached who about the Shovel Knight amiibo and if Touhou is so successful in Japan. Why does IT not have amiibos?

Not using this as means of Smash speculation, even though I'd love Shovel Knight if he happened (realize he's probably one of those you'll have to get in a special manner characters), just genuinely curious.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Was looking on the F/GO reddit and learned that Part 2 of the First Lostbelt Gacha has been released, which has Silver Avenger and Rider the Terrible. I am actually laughing a lot as people are trying to get the 3-Star Avenger compared to the 5-Star Rider and they keep being "spooked" by the First Lostbelt Rider in their attempt to get Avenger. Like, Lostbelt Avenger is literally Number 3 on the Japanese Twitter trending. And it's filled of players going, "My Avenger looks very different than what he normally looks like." and showing their 5-Star Rider. It's actually very hilarious. :laugh:

On the other hand, hope it gets out to DW and Type-Moon that players still very much like their male characters and that it inspires them to add more males to Grand Order and less genderswapped characters.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
To the Xenoblade Chronicles fans in this thread (most notably @Malos, Mythra Mythra and @mario123007), I have played the second game up to Chapter 8 thus far. If you wish to tag me in anything related to this game up until that point, I wouldn't mind; I do want to finish the game soon either way.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And I just realized Touhou doesn't even have a game on a Nintendo system. They have never even appeared in a Cloud like capacity on a Nintendo system. Which explains the lack of amiibo and mention even from most likely Japanese Nintendo fans.

Popularity wise they're probably a good equal to Shovel Knight in Japan though, but I think he'd still have the edge with closer ties to Nintendo as an indie because of that.

Though I suppose you could also argue that wouldn't matter if Sakurai was going to put an indie or even any character in, since I doubt he was thinking of Cloud's ties to Nintendo when he put him in Smash Wii U/3DS. That seemed purely all about fulfilling a fan request.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Was looking on the F/GO reddit and learned that Part 2 of the First Lostbelt Gacha has been released, which has Silver Avenger and Rider the Terrible. I am actually laughing a lot as people are trying to get the 3-Star Avenger compared to the 5-Star Rider and they keep being "spooked" by the First Lostbelt Rider in their attempt to get Avenger. Like, Lostbelt Avenger is literally Number 3 on the Japanese Twitter trending. And it's filled of players going, "My Avenger looks very different than what he normally looks like." and showing their 5-Star Rider. It's actually very hilarious. :laugh:

On the other hand, hope it gets out to DW and Type-Moon that players still very much like their male characters and that it inspires them to add more males to Grand Order and less genderswapped characters.
"Man, this is Terrible, I just wanted angry piano man!"
DW making more money off a 3* then the limited 5* and realising rarity means jack **** to players all they need to do is make incredibly-aestethic-pleasing Servants.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Weird. It's not listed as platformer on any of the sites I was on but there it is.

I mean that might finally get the attention of Japanese fans if there's another ballot for this game come DLC, which is probably the only way Sakurai's attention is going to get captured by an indie character.

Which is another reason put so much stock behind Shovel Knight and Shantae. You couldn't go three posts on most social media without someone calling for people to vote for either one of them in that damn thing.

I'd be interested to see how they both stacked up against more well known first and third parties in the ballot.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Personally I tend to die a little inside every time people suggest a character should get in because they're indie.

Not because the characters themselves are bad, they're fine, but because good GOLLY that justification hurts my brain.

Being "indie" doesn't make a character any different from any other third party outside of the development process and the obsessive hipsterism surrounding the "culture" of indie, which thank goodness has died down a ton over the past several years as more indie games have become properly mainstream.

If it's about sales, then a Terraria character should be in Smash over any of the "normal" indie picks. If it's about "oh they have an Amiibo" then suuuuuure Shovel Knight should get into Smash. . .but not before Solaire and a Monster Hunter character do because MH and Dark Souls both sell way, way better anyway. It's just. . .aaaugh, it's just not a logical thing.

If Shovel Knight gets in, it's because desperate indie fans voted hard for him on the Ballot to make themselves feel more important for buying indie games. Not really much else.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Who approached who about the Shovel Knight amiibo and if Touhou is so successful in Japan. Why does IT not have amiibos?

Not using this as means of Smash speculation, even though I'd love Shovel Knight if he happened (realize he's probably one of those you'll have to get in a special manner characters), just genuinely curious.
Its because the series creator and owner, only makes Touhou for the PC, so there's your answer.

And I just realized Touhou doesn't even have a game on a Nintendo system. They have never even appeared in a Cloud like capacity on a Nintendo system. Which explains the lack of amiibo and mention even from most likely Japanese Nintendo fans.

Popularity wise they're probably a good equal to Shovel Knight in Japan though, but I think he'd still have the edge with closer ties to Nintendo as an indie because of that.

Though I suppose you could also argue that wouldn't matter if Sakurai was going to put an indie or even any character in, since I doubt he was thinking of Cloud's ties to Nintendo when he put him in Smash Wii U/3DS. That seemed purely all about fulfilling a fan request.
Actually, a Touhou spin-off is getting ported to the Switch.

Also I'm sure Touhou is waaay more popular in Japan then Shovel Knight, due to both age and just how much the Touhou fandom makes, from fan games to doujinshi manga. So really Touhou could pop up on Sakurai's radar. Plus Touhou is known to the west, just more so in the anime community then the gaming one.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think people put so much stock in the indie third party rep because of how much you see gaming companies embracing the indie market, but in particular Nintendo really.

I mean you don't see Sony or Microsoft with a whole separate presentation just for announcing what new indies are on the Playstation and X Box systems.

And just a few days ago we got an smaller developer literally saying how much Nintendo cares about the small developers and indie developers.

I think that's like 80 percent of why people have it in their heads that characters like Shovel Knight, Shantae, Travis Touchdown, etc have such a strong chance at Smash Brothers.

It's probably a hollow thing, but it's where a tremendous amount of their hope comes from.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

Enough third party Amiibo have been made by now that it seems fairly clear Nintendo just licenses out the brand. It is fairly significant Shovel Knight was one of the first, I won't deny them that.

Not really arguing that they're significant to Nintendo, cause they aren't. But I've said before that I doubt Cloud being in a handful of FF spin offs is what got him into Smash. He'd have been the FF rep whether he cameod in a Game Boy Advance game or not. Same with the Lara Croft discussion from before. Her Nintendo appearances are just a footnote to her general significance.

Weird. It's not listed as platformer on any of the sites I was on but there it is.

I mean that might finally get the attention of Japanese fans if there's another ballot for this game come DLC, which is probably the only way Sakurai's attention is going to get captured by an indie character.

Which is another reason put so much stock behind Shovel Knight and Shantae. You couldn't go three posts on most social media without someone calling for people to vote for either one of them in that damn thing.

I'd be interested to see how they both stacked up against more well known first and third parties in the ballot.
Part of the lack of Nintendo, or even PlayStation games, stems from the fact the franchise is truly independent. Zun doesn't partner with anyone or go through the rigorous process to get a game on a console. He makes a Touhou game on PC because it's open, and then he releases it when it's done. The one game that's made it to a console was made by fans of the franchise who were willing to go through that process (and that's another big reason the franchise is so popular: Zun let's other indie developers use the IP).

I think people put so much stock in the indie third party rep because of how much you see gaming companies embracing the indie market, but in particular Nintendo really.

I mean you don't see Sony or Microsoft with a whole separate presentation just for announcing what new indies are on the Playstation and X Box systems.
This is a good point. I'll give Shovel Knight the one up here.

While I don't think for a second that Touhou's going to get reps, I've always found it pretty questionable how so much of the western Smash community seems to think we're going to get an indy rep, and it's destined to be Shovel Knight or Shantae.
I don't even like Touhou, lol. It's just so big that it's impossible to ignore. I see it everywhere.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
OK really I got a bit tense with that but

"my indie babies need special treatment" is not a beacon of inspiration.

It's the video game community equivalent of droning on and on about how you buy organic and how great organic is to anyone and everyone even and especially when they didn't ask.

And I am so, so freaking glad that most people have stopped doing it oh my GOSH.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
When I release my indie game I expect ya'll to spam support for the main character until a sizeable hate demographic forms around it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
OK really I got a bit tense with that but

"my indie babies need special treatment" is not a beacon of inspiration.

It's the video game community equivalent of droning on and on about how you buy organic and how great organic is to anyone and everyone even and especially when they didn't ask.

And I am so, so freaking glad that most people have stopped doing it oh my GOSH.
I wouldn't say it's anything different than ''Well obviously my first party character deserves it because she/he was just in X main title and is now becoming more popular or being remembered! And I think Sakurai would take notice of that!"

It's really really really not.

You can make the ''I buy organic!" remark all you want, but I don't think anyone is trying to be some kind of game hipster when they support a third party that's an indie.

Saying ''Shovel Knight is important to indies because he starred in his own games and cameos in a lot of others and I think he's the face of indies and Nintendo likes indies." is no different than saying ''As far as other iconic second player characters like Luigi go Tails is the one to beat and I think that's why he deserves to be in Smash. He's been on a lot of Nintendo systems now too!"

It's all just support in the end.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yo does anyone have the full story of the guy that turned into a cockroach that apparently popped up on the Animal Crossing website?
Wait, what the ****?

What exactly happened?

And just a few days ago we got an smaller developer literally saying how much Nintendo cares about the small developers and indie developers.

I think that's like 80 percent of why people have it in their heads that characters like Shovel Knight, Shantae, Travis Touchdown, etc have such a strong chance at Smash Brothers.

It's probably a hollow thing, but it's where a tremendous amount of their hope comes from.
This marks my thoughts exactly, well said. On top of that, I think SK has great uniqueness and moveset potential for Smash.

Plus those stage and music potentials would be hype.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I wouldn't say it's anything different than ''Well obviously my first party character deserves it because she/he was just in X main title and is now becoming more popular or being remembered! And I think Sakurai would take notice of that!"

It's really really really not.

You can make the ''I buy organic!" remark all you want, but I don't think anyone is trying to be some kind of game hipster when they support a third party that's an indie.

Saying ''Shovel Knight is important to indies because he starred in his own games and cameos in a lot of others and I think he's the face of indies and Nintendo likes indies." is no different than saying ''As far other iconic second player character like Luigi go Tails is the one to beat and I think that's why he deserves to be in Smash. He's been on a lot of Nintendo systems now too!"

It's all just support in the end.
That's just it, though. Support is inconsistent.

One character gets supported almost entirely on the basis of having a new game, EVEN BEFORE THEIR FIRST EVER GAME RELEASES, another character gets supported because "well they were popular-ish at ONE point," a third character gets supported because "we need a new franchise, even though this one last had a game 30 years ago, sold so little that peanuts are worth more, and no one has ever heard of it ever," another one gets supported because "well this franchise needs a REP, even if none of the actual characters left are worth adding on their own merit," another gets supported on the basis of "well they're indie, and that makes them SPECIAL."

It seems fairly clear to me that Sakurai himself takes several justifications simultaneously into account when choosing characters, but the fandom picks and chooses according to whatever agenda they want to push. As someone who likes to take a more clinical approach to speculation and largely leaves my own singular want out of it entirely due to demoralization, it's difficult to actually see any of what's passed around as an appropriate measuring stick so much as just mob-minded lunacy.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ended up replacing Zelgius with Brave Ike for the new Chapter Quests that requires an axe user.

He fits surprisingly well with the team despite not being armored. Probably helps that the build I use for him is a pseudo-healing tank.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean you're right some of the support thrown around is mindless and illogical, but it's important to remember it's still harmless.

Some of it does actually have some basis and are things that are easy to predict that Sakurai would indeed take notice of. I mean vaanrose vaanrose notoriously told us so about Cloud Stride before Cloud was even a thing.

And while Bayonetta was the ballot winner. I had many a discussion with users on here about why Sakurai would potentially add her and how he would do months before she won the ballot.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When I release my indie game I expect ya'll to spam support for the main character until a sizeable hate demographic forms around it.
You'll have to fight ours.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The majority of the game's developers are.

Yeah, we have gotten characters based on Western popularity in the past (Little Mac), but the Japanese audience at least knew who he was. These supposed indy icons are virtually unknown over there, and that's why they're probably not going to happen no matter how much begging Yacht Club and Wayforward do.
Right, but he was asking why people here, ask for Shovel Knight more. I'm well aware the many game developers are. So we've only got a western perspective on indie games that leave an impact. So to us, Shantae and Shovel Knight are really big deals. While in Japan, it'd be something like Touhou. I don't think an indie character is happening.

IF(and that's a big if) we did get a western made/owned character in Smash, that isn't already owned by Nintendo(i.e the DKC cast), they'd have to at least be notable characters to the general public, not just people who might play indie games. So something like Rayman who was created in France, or (as unlikely as it is)Scorpion or Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat, who were made in the U.S.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I mean you're right some of the support thrown around is mindless and illogical, but it's important to remember it's still harmless.

Some of it does actually have some basis and are things that are easy to predict that Sakurai would indeed take notice of. I mean vaanrose vaanrose notoriously told us so about Cloud Stride before Cloud was even a thing.

And while Bayonetta was the ballot winner. I had many a discussion with users on here about why Sakurai would potentially add her and how he would do months before she won the ballot.
Cloud and Bayonetta both took fan requests into account to various degrees, though. By Smash 4 speculation standards at least, they're outliers. And I mean, while unlike many people I actually do think the Ballot will be used for this game's selection process, even calculating based on what fans ask for is unreliable because any actual measure of that is drowned out by a drone of HOW DARE YOU ASK FOR ANYTHING ELSE KROOL DESERVES ALL THE LOVE KROOL KROOL BOW TO KROOL.

So Shovel Knight COULD be the darling baby that gets picked based on the fandom's hopes and dreams. . .or maybe someone else that had less hollering about was more beloved in secret instead. It's hard to reason out because this fandom's vocal minority takes the vocal part of that extremely seriously.

And it's largely because of the large type above that I'm a bit touchy about poor speculation. Because it's not entirely harmless, people WILL attempt to drive dissident opinions out of the fandom en masse over not matching the usually incredibly stupid consensus on speculation and it creates a toxic environment. Actually trying to bring some sense to it would at least give a semblance of objectivity, but instead people just bully each other because other people aren't worshipping *insert character here* enough.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I didn't sell my soul to go to the number one VFX school in the world just to back down from a challenge like this.
Your first mistake was having a soul to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom