• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So a couple of days ago I went to the mall and there was this video game store that had a huge collection of games old and new.

I looked around and I saw that the guy was selling copies of Pokemon Ash Grey for $20 (a hack of Pokemon Fire Red that's inspired by the anime).

...Is that even legal?
Stuff like that happens all the time. When I was a kid, they'd have these obviously fake Yu-Gi-Oh cards(a lot of kids were into the series at the time)at the dollar store.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So a couple of days ago I went to the mall and there was this video game store that had a huge collection of games old and new.

I looked around and I saw that the guy was selling copies of Pokemon Ash Grey for $20 (a hack of Pokemon Fire Red that's inspired by the anime).

...Is that even legal?
Nope, entirely illegal. They can legally re-sell most games/media on the other hand. Not sure if there's major differences in other countries, but in the US, reselling is normal.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

2 rares left.
RNGesus had pity of me it seems.
Time to remember and locate like 50 UMs :yeahboi:

I do know that a lot of other stories of different characters got explored in later seasons. I can definitely see that messing with it's quality, but as long as it's not terrible, I'm down to try getting back into it. I stopped watching a little more than halfway into Season 5.

I've actually got Stakes recorded. Just haven't watched it yet. Elements is a newer one, right? I'll probably watch them all along the way, if I get into it again.
Most of the sidestories are skippable, at least for me, just don't skip the Ketchup episode as Mordecai makes a cameo there lol.

Stakes is a good way to pick up the show again, as it has a nice balance between story and action.
Islands is ok, and explains a lot about Finn's origins but never picks up
Elements feels like a legit adventure again, has great visuals and gets intense at the end. And yes is the newest one.

Any episode related to the Grass Sword or Betty is also recommended to know the current plot progress too.

I got kinda surprised when I knew AT was finishing soon, but after 9 Seasons I realized it is a good time to end it.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

...Is that even legal?
Technically no but no one really cares that there’s stores like these and because they count as more of a garage sale type store in most cases, then they can’t really get into trouble as most of those stores will advertise stuff as personal collections.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Stuff like that happens all the time. When I was a kid, they'd have these obviously fake Yu-Gi-Oh cards(a lot of kids were into the series at the time)at the dollar store.
Yeah I remember the fake Pokemon cards from way back in the day. That was pretty much a cash cow for gaming pawn shops.
Nope, entirely illegal. They can legally re-sell most games/media on the other hand. Not sure if there's major differences in other countries, but in the US, reselling is normal.
Yeah re-selling used games is fine but I would think selling a ROM hack would be against the law in some sort of way.

I guess the guy who runs the store probably counts on the fact that most of his customers wouldn't know the difference or they wouldn't care like me.
Technically no but no one really cares that there’s stores like these and because they count as more of a garage sale type store in most cases, then they can’t really get into trouble as most of those stores will advertise stuff as personal collections.
Could a "personal collection" be used as a defense if he were to get in legal trouble? Not that I think something like that would happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah re-selling used games is fine but I would think selling a ROM hack would be against the law in some sort of way.

I guess the guy who runs the store probably counts on the fact that most of his customers wouldn't know the difference or they wouldn't care like me.
Funny thing is rom hacks are illegal too due to "infringing on someone's ip without their permission". Mainly due to the fact you're editing someone's data without their permission. That said, I honestly think it's not a big deal overall. Now, intentionally tracing over somebody's drawing and not even bothering to give credit is a lot different. Regardless, I'm sure that person will eventually get caught.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Funny thing is rom hacks are illegal too due to "infringing on someone's ip without their permission". Mainly due to the fact you're editing someone's data without their permission. That said, I honestly think it's not a big deal overall. Now, intentionally tracing over somebody's drawing and not even bothering to give credit is a lot different. Regardless, I'm sure that person will eventually get caught.
I know but I think they're fine personally because it's all in good fun and no one is harmed by it or profiting of the hack.

Selling a ROM hack on the other I think is disingenuous because your selling a derivative work of what someone else made. Not that I really cared whether or not the guy was selling it. I just found it interesting.

D

Deleted member

OH SNAP! THE BOYS ARE BACK!
And then people say the older games are much better than the new games.....
Either way sounds like a really good update!

2 rares left.
RNGesus had pity of me it seems.
Off-Topic, but that deign is horrible. What are those circle things on her back? Also I dislike how her design forces herself to hold that weird thing? What if she needs to surrender in front of a police force or do monkey bars, participate in a little children's play by using two puppets, what if she needs to clean the floor with both of her hands, or plant new flowers in her garden or multi-task with papers in that matter? She's exposed.
Either way, congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know but I think they're fine personally because it's all in good fun and no one is harmed by it or profiting of the hack.

Selling a ROM hack on the other I think is disingenuous because your selling a derivative work of what someone else made. Not that I really cared whether or not the guy was selling it. I just found it interesting.
One could argue that "editing their work" outside of their permission is harm. IMO, I don't think it's an issue even then. I mean, fanfiction exists.

Now I can understand the point about people uploading nothing but cutscenes to YouTube, which can make it harder for the games to sell at times. A LP at least has some of your own content(voices, you actually playing the game and making decisions). Mind you, I don't mind the cutscene thing, but it's clearly a case where some believe it's important to see the cutscenes during the game itself when playing it(whether it's because your hard work should be enjoyed after you paid for it or because you believe that experiencing it by earning it is more satisfying. Note that the latter is why Sakurai wasn't as interested in an SSE for the Smash 4 versions).

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Oh my god someone actually enforces this rule. :0
RIP praline

Off-Topic, but that deign is horrible. What are those circle things on her back? Also I dislike how her design forces herself to hold that weird thing? What if she needs to surrender in front of a police force or do monkey bars, participate in a little children's play by using two puppets, what if she needs to clean the floor with both of her hands, or plant new flowers in her garden or multi-task with papers in that mater? She's exposed.
*adds to ignore list*

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What if she needs to surrender in front of a police force or do monkey bars, participate in a little children's play by using two puppets, what if she needs to clean the floor with both of her hands, or plant new flowers in her garden or multi-task with papers in that mater?
I think this might be one of my favorite sentences I've ever read.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yeah I remember the fake Pokemon cards from way back in the day. That was pretty much a cash cow for gaming pawn shops.

Could a "personal collection" be used as a defense if he were to get in legal trouble? Not that I think something like that would happen.
it probably wouldn’t but as you said I don’t think anyone will turn them in. Most parents that would enter the store with kids probably wouldn’t even know the difference making it even less likely.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I don't want it either but if AW comes back you better believe it's going to have that feature. I think the avatar thing can work in AW where you can change the kind of CO Powers your avatar uses.

Are you thinking of Dual Strike's Tag Mode? That was the one where you had Tag Powers and all which I think can be reintroduced in a new AW albeit a lot less broken.
I still prefer each CO powers be locked to different COs, just feels more right to me.

No, I was thinking of a thing where you had a group of characters actually talking to each other, from what I remember from Days of Ruin, it was something along the lines where they talked to each other, in a kind skit sense where they gave out small tutorials.

I would love to agree with you but I don't see that happening any time soon. I would settle for Andy being in Smash Bros if we get anything at all for the franchise's anniversary.

That being said, I think they could do a Legacy Collection of sorts where they port all 4 AW games on the 3DS with online play and stuff. Not holding my breath on it but if there's no new game on the horizon it's something IS can do to not have the series rot.
Huh, a Legacy collection would be cool, hell you may not like this, but they could even make it an Eshop title, so that they don't run the risk of not being able to run a profit, and then if the collection sell well, they make a new installment in the series.

Splatoon is much larger than Fire Emblem by sales numbers alone let alone the audience it attracts. Splatoon being new means nothing. FE is on the level of Animal Crossing and Donkey Kong in series that are big but not Nintendo's staple IP's.
Thing is, I give it Fire Emblem, cause grandfather clause, and FE has proven it has staying power. Splatoon needs to get that 3rd game for me to bump it up to 5.

Yeah I just lost interest in Mario Party because in the Wii/PS3/360 era I was buying less games then I did the two generations before. And now I have no interest at all with the new mechanics they added in.
Well, at least that's a better for reasoning for not playiny 9&10, then saying it sucks, cause it not what you wanted.

Also quick note to all Mario Party fans: I'm not saying I prefer original Mario party gameplay style, or 9&10 style, I have no interest in this series all that much, outside of thinking that Waluigi should pull from here, since he's a troll and Mario Party is all about trolling your friends, otherwise I don't care what happens with this series.

Technically, Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GameCube (and soon Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 + 2 for Switch) includes 8.

Though as far as initial/individual releases go, yeah, 8 wasn't on a Nintendo console.
Huh, neat. Didn't know that.

Okay, real talk.
If we're getting a new Sega All Stars Racing.

Segeta Sanshiro.
Come on guys this needs to happen.

Edit: Holy **** I just realized.
Sega owns the Yakuza series.
That could actually work. I want to main Kiryu.
I see Segata Sanshiro, I must post this video

And yes, Segata should be in the next All-Stars game.

Starlight_Lily

My god, I have to say this, but avoiding spoilers for Odyssey, BOTW, Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 is really getting harder...

...What's that why haven't I got these games yet? I haven't got a job that's why, you jerks!! TT__TT

Also let's have some fun, what new stages for Smash do you want?

I still want my Hoenn stage.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
My god, I have to say this, but avoiding spoilers for Odyssey, BOTW, Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 is really getting harder...

...What's that why haven't I got these games yet? I haven't got a job that's why, you jerks!! TT__TT
I don't even think anything in Splatoon 2 actually qualifies as serious enough to be considered spoilers, TBH. Like. . .I guess two or three Sunken Scrolls and that's about it?

. . .At least for now, anyway. The new single player DLC might be juicy, but no one knows what's up with that yet.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

I don't even think anything in Splatoon 2 actually qualifies as serious enough to be considered spoilers, TBH. Like. . .I guess two or three Sunken Scrolls and that's about it?

. . .At least for now, anyway. The new single player DLC might be juicy, but no one knows what's up with that yet.
Yeah, here's the thing, weird as it may sound, I do actually what to know happened with Callie and Marie, in the single player campaign in Splatoon 2, and I don't want to what happens, until I play it myself.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, here's the thing, weird as it may sound, I do actually what to know happened with Callie and Marie, in the single player campaign in Splatoon 2, and I don't want to what happens, until I play it myself.
I'll give you a tip then.

If you ever buy the game, don't finish the story until you have the 3.0 update. I'm fairly certain that the Callie stuff they brought up in the Direct is related to the story mode, which...
...is great because you get literally no reward from completing the story right now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Intelligent Systems more or less confirmed that they would only bring back Advance Wars if it had the same waifu **** FE had.
You're still spouting this even after people told you you misconstrued the quote?

They said that people didn't feel as connected to AW's characters like they do Fire Emblem...and that's completely true. In Fire Emblem, each unit has a name and personality, hopes and dreams, a story. They're people. Meanwhile Advance Wars has disposable units that you feel no investment in, as you can just buy more. Hell, Brawl in the Family did a comic based on the idea.

It has nothing to do with "waifu ****." It has to do with the fact that Advance Wars' gameplay isn't character driven like Fire Emblem's is, so it doesn't appeal to many outside of strategy game fans. The humanity aspect is what sets Fire Emblem apart.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You're still spouting this even after people told you you misconstrued the quote?

They said that people didn't feel as connected to AW's characters like they do Fire Emblem...and that's completely true. In Fire Emblem, each unit has a name and personality, hopes and dreams, a story. They're people. Meanwhile Advance Wars has disposable units that you feel no investment in, as you can just buy more. Hell, Brawl in the Family did a comic based on the idea.

It has nothing to do with "waifu ****." It has to do with e fact that Advance Wars' gameplay isn't character driven like Fire Emblem's is, so it doesn't appeal to many outside of strategy game fans. The humanity aspect is what sets Fire Emblem apart.
inb4 Ura brings up Casual mode, where the units who fall in combat won't permanently die.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
inb4 Ura brings up Casual mode, where the units who fall in combat won't permanently die.
I mean, it'd be dumb if he did, considering it has nothing to do with the point of connecting to the characters. It's only one aspect that adds to it.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Yeah, I kind of find Mario Party fans weird when it comes to the game mechanics of the game. As for Paper Mario fans, most of their problems for Sticker Star, mainly came from the story didn't it? That's what they mainly want to be improved upon.
It was half story, half the combat. After the surprisingly compelling plots of The Thousand-Year Door and Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star deliberately reverting to the generic "Bowser kidnapped Peach, adventure through these generic environments to save her" felt like a slap to the face. Bowser himself didn't even talk, after three games of his lines being comedy gold! And when the entire combat system revolved around limited ammunition, and your reward for combat was merely money to buy more of that ammunition, it felt like getting into battle was pointless.

To its credit, Color Splash fixed the former and partially fixed the latter: the writing is stellar and often hilarious again, and while the ammo-based combat system is still rough around the edges, it's more consistent about what you can do (you get upgrades to how many cards you can use per turn, rather than it being up to RNG), has a failsafe in case you run out of cards, and even gives a reward of sorts for combat in the form of pickups that increase your max paint capacity when you collect enough. While I do miss the old style of Paper Mario, that doesn't mean this new style is without its merits. Personally, I'd want to see them borrow from Mega Man Battle Network's mechanics more--make the cards work once per fight but not be destroyed afterward, put a cap on how big Mario's "deck" can be (along with more rules on what card combos he can do in a given turn), and then have a big collection of his extra cards that he can switch in and out of his deck as needed.

And that's why I have a problem with so many other Paper Mario fans: they act as if only the old style should be allowed to exist. It bleeds over into Paper Mario character concepts I've seen as well, with people being very vocal about building movesets for him based only on the first three games, turning their noses at anything after for daring to not fit exactly what they wanted. And I have to wonder...what causes them to be so hostile?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I still prefer each CO powers be locked to different COs, just feels more right to me.

No, I was thinking of a thing where you had a group of characters actually talking to each other, from what I remember from Days of Ruin, it was something along the lines where they talked to each other, in a kind skit sense where they gave out small tutorials
Oh yeah that was a feature from Days of Ruin. I think that game did the tutorial better than AW1 did when it forced you to do the Field Training or at least the last mission of it.

What I was thinking of was a military Academy of sorts (one where you have access to multiple CO's and various CO's join you throughout the game ala FE) where CO's go to interact with one another and talk about the conflicts going on in the world or just personal hardships they have. It would be a way for them to have more interaction with each other especially between missions. You would be able to romance said CO's as well and ship them between fellow nation CO's to strengthen nation ties or something like that.

I also want to make it clear that I don't think AW is going to give up it's core gameplay. I feel it will largely be the same game with the only difference being that CO's will be able to be used in battle using different units and can be leveled up similar to Fire Emblem (the game they want Advance Wars to be like). There would still be expendable units with bases/ports/airports in addition to that. I also feel that a new Advance Wars would introduce an Easy Campaign in addition to the Normal and Hard ones already in the game as a way for casuals to feel more comfortable playing the game. Easy Campaign would be when you have an advantage in all the missions (more units, resources, etc.). Other than that AW can stay the same.

And to your first point I think equipable CO Powers would be locked for everyone but the avatar character as a way to make the player feel more immersed with the avatar.
Huh, a Legacy collection would be cool, hell you may not like this, but they could even make it an Eshop title, so that they don't run the risk of not being able to run a profit, and then if the collection sell well, they make a new installment in the series.
Hey man i'd take an Eshop title over the mass amount of nothing from the past decade. Sign me up.

I think doing that would gauge a lot of interest and is a great way to introduce the franchise to newcomers so when IS decides to revive AW it won't be a huge introduction for newcomers. More people would be demanding a sequel which is what the series needs. Doing that would also make Andy more relevant in the present day which increases his Smash chances so that's a double bonus lol. Here's hoping something like that gets announced at E3.
Thing is, I give it Fire Emblem, cause grandfather clause, and FE has proven it has staying power. Splatoon needs to get that 3rd game for me to bump it up to 5.
Well not really. FE was on the chopping block twice even despite it's Smash Bros exposure and only became a mainstay after Awakening. Splatoon has always been successful since it's beginning and Nintendo treats that franchise as one of their staples right up there with Mario and Zelda.

Splatoon doesn't need a third game because the 2nd is still doing huge numbers and Nintendo is still supporting it.
Well, at least that's a better for reasoning for not playiny 9&10, then saying it sucks, cause it not what you wanted.

Also quick note to all Mario Party fans: I'm not saying I prefer original Mario party gameplay style, or 9&10 style, I have no interest in this series all that much, outside of thinking that Waluigi should pull from here, since he's a troll and Mario Party is all about trolling your friends, otherwise I don't care what happens with this series.
I didn't necessary like 9/10 but my interest the series dwindled after 7. I felt that I had enough MP games at that point between the N64/Gamecube ones.

It has nothing to do with "waifu ****." It has to do with e fact that Advance Wars' gameplay isn't character driven like Fire Emblem's is, so it doesn't appeal to many outside of strategy game fans. The humanity aspect is what sets Fire Emblem apart.
What IS said was more or less a fancy way of saying that AW needed to get amped up in the waifu department.

And yes it's true because pre-Awakening FE games were lousy and IS admitted that the series was going to get cut if Awakening didn't do well. Relationships were always a thing in FE before that and it didn't make it sell all that great. Of course I do think AW could benefit more from relationships being added as I mentioned in my post.

And honestly that whole notion is bull because AW requires you to use your units strategically and not losing the key units you need in battle to get the advantage.. I'd even argue some units in FE are expendable because half the party usually sits out at the end chapters while your broken units does all the slaughtering for you. It's all perspective man.
Please do without this crap. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I mean, it'd be dumb if he did, considering it has nothing to do with the point of connecting to the characters. It's only one aspect that adds to it.
He'd still be countering the "disposable units" argument you made for Advance Wars, which is why I brought it up.

But you're still right because the fact that all units have a personality just makes FE that much more alive.

D

Deleted member

And honestly that whole notion is bull because AW requires you to use your units strategically and not losing the key units you need in battle to get the advantage.. I'd even argue some units in FE are expendable because half the party usually sits out at the end chapters while your broken units does all the slaughtering for you. It's all perspective man.
That has nothing to do with Opo's point.
FE has characters. Persons with personities and backstories.
AW has units. Soldiers who are meaningless and can be replaced.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It has nothing to do with "waifu ****." It has to do with the fact that Advance Wars' gameplay isn't character driven like Fire Emblem's is, so it doesn't appeal to many outside of strategy game fans. The humanity aspect is what sets Fire Emblem apart.
And yet, regardless of previous character development, FE still had its own commercial shortcomings until you could marry them off.

So I guess you can read the statement your way, and I'll read it mine.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That has nothing to do with Opo's point.
FE has characters. Persons with personities and backstories.
AW has units. Soldiers who are meaningless and can be replaced.
That's what I feel gives AW it's unique identity. It's all about that pure strategy as opposed to FE's story based driven gameplay. What's better is a matter of opinion but I always liked that contrast.

Of course if IS wants to change that then they could do what I mentioned in my previous post where they could do all the relationship shippy stuff while keeping AW mostly the same.
And yet, regardless of previous character development, FE still had its own commercial shortcomings until you could marry them off.

So I guess you can read the statement your way, and I'll read it mine.
Yeah that was more or less my mindset. FE didn't even blow up until the 3DS era.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I mean honestly, I don't think what's going to give Advance Wars the advantage is making more waifus. In fact of all the things it could borrow from FE, "make the women hotter" is honestly not one of them.

'Cause you know what I really want from my game that's about war? Boobs.
Everyone knows girls in bikinis, and nameless army folks getting blown up for the sake of fighting for both their lives and the lives of their country go so well together.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh yeah that was a feature from Days of Ruin. I think that game did the tutorial better than AW1 did when it forced you to do the Field Training or at least the last mission of it.

What I was thinking of was a military Academy of sorts (one where you have access to multiple CO's and various CO's join you throughout the game ala FE) where CO's go to interact with one another and talk about the conflicts going on in the world or just personal hardships they have. It would be a way for them to have more interaction with each other especially between missions. You would be able to romance said CO's as well and ship them between fellow nation CO's to strengthen nation ties or something like that.

I also want to make it clear that I don't think AW is going to give up it's core gameplay. I feel it will largely be the same game with the only difference being that CO's will be able to be used in battle using different units and can be leveled up similar to Fire Emblem (the game they want Advance Wars to be like). There would still be expendable units with bases/ports/airports in addition to that. I also feel that a new Advance Wars would introduce an Easy Campaign in addition to the Normal and Hard ones already in the game as a way for casuals to feel more comfortable playing the game. Easy Campaign would be when you have an advantage in all the missions (more units, resources, etc.). Other than that AW can stay the same.

And to your first point I think equipable CO Powers would be locked for everyone but the avatar character as a way to make the player feel more immersed with the avatar.

Hey man i'd take an Eshop title over the mass amount of nothing from the past decade. Sign me up.

I think doing that would gauge a lot of interest and is a great way to introduce the franchise to newcomers so when IS decides to revive AW it won't be a huge introduction for newcomers. More people would be demanding a sequel which is what the series needs. Doing that would also make Andy more relevant in the present day which increases his Smash chances so that's a double bonus lol. Here's hoping something like that gets announced at E3.

Well not really. FE was on the chopping block twice even despite it's Smash Bros exposure and only became a mainstay after Awakening. Splatoon has always been successful since it's beginning and Nintendo treats that franchise as one of their staples right up there with Mario and Zelda.

Splatoon doesn't need a third game because the 2nd is still doing huge numbers and Nintendo is still supporting it.

I didn't necessary like 9/10 but my interest the series dwindled after 7. I felt that I had enough MP games at that point between the N64/Gamecube ones.

What IS said was more or less a fancy way of saying that AW needed to get amped up in the waifu department.

And yes it's true because pre-Awakening FE games were lousy and IS admitted that the series was going to get cut if Awakening didn't do well. Relationships were always a thing in FE before that and it didn't make it sell all that great. Of course I do think AW could benefit more from relationships being added as I mentioned in my post.

Please do without this crap. Thank you very much.
No it absolutely wasn't. You're putting words in their mouths out of salt and spite.

And for your sake I hope when you say the pre-Awakening games were crap you mean sales-wise, otherwise your bias is clouding your thinking again. Character interaction is one hundred percent what IS was talking about. Things like the support and base conversations.

And you're missing the point. If you're playing, say, Shadow Dragon and your mage dies, you don't lose "Mage." You lose Merric, Marth's childhood friend who put all of his effort into learning magic because he was too weak growing up to be a knight, all to protect Marth and Elice, the only two people who showed him kindness growing up. Now he's dead and will never see Altea and Khadein free from tyranny.

If you lose an infantry unit in AW there's no personal connection, just a mild inconvenience.

Basically, just look at Smash's Assists. Fire Emblem has Lyn. Advance Wars has...Infantry and Tanks.

D

Deleted member

Awakening didn't succeed because of waifus. That certainly helped but what was truly responsible for its success is that IS and Nintendo actually bothered to ****ing advertise it.
That's what I feel gives AW it's unique identity. It's all about that pure strategy as opposed to FE's story based driven gameplay. What's better is a matter of opinion but I always liked that contrast.
It's not a matter of "what is better", it's a matter of what appeals to a larger audience.
FE appeals to strategy games fans and those who like character narratives.
AW only appeals to the former, it's a much smaller audience.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
After watching a stream sirlionhart play valkyria cronicals, I feel that how games based aroud war should be and not gonna lie, Main reason why I got hooked on FE was because of fates and I felt close to Leo and niles.

And after watching him play VC, i think Imma pick up VC 4 on switch.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
What you said was more or less a fancy way of saying, "I don't care. They won't give me what I want, so I don't like them."

Do you see what I'm getting at? Do not let bias, hatred or whatever twist what people say into what you want to believe or what they mean. It's not good and selfish.

With Advance Wars, the characters were nothing more than bonuses, much like the Civilisations' bonuses from Age of Empires. Fire Emblem has you playing characters with backstories, personalities and whatnot. You learn about these characters. You can connect with the characters thanks to what you learn about them.
Meanwhile, you learn next to nothing about AW characters, except with Days of Ruin, which was actually character focused, but also panned as well due to some different gameplay mechanics.
Despite the fact you could marry them off in previous games. As stated, marriage wasn't what saved Fire Emblem. It was actually marketing and advertising that saved Fire Emblem. They treated it like the last one. They tried to make it their last Big Bang. This Big Bang ended up saving Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Awakening didn't succeed because of waifus. That certainly helped but what was truly responsible for its success is that IS and Nintendo actually bothered to ****ing advertise it.
This isn't wrong but all everyone always mentioned about Awakening to me was how you could marry characters/have kids/etc etc.

It's not exactly a coincidence Fates brought back kids, marriage, ramped up the fanservice with skinship/etc.
Days of Ruin, which was actually character focused, but also panned as well due to some different gameplay mechanics.
Oh hey it's the one I played.

I actually liked it a lot. Was sad to see other fans didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom