• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Wait hold on I'm trying to figure out this argument for a sec, 'cause I have no idea where any of you are going outside waifus.
So is the argument here that FE stole attention from AW, or that one is better than other?
'Cause it's looking like the latter, and that confuses me.

Chrono.

Wait hold on I'm trying to figure out this argument for a sec, 'cause I have no idea where any of you are going outside waifus.
So is the argument here that FE stole attention from AW, or that one is better than other?
'Cause it's looking like the latter, and that confuses me.
In actuality, FE stole attention from Paper Mario, while Advance Wars never had it in the first place.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
In actuality, FE stole attention from Paper Mario, while Advance Wars never had it in the first place.
Is that the argument then? That no one gives a **** about AW?
Ya'll are losing me here.

Like you all can go back and forth about which one is a trash fire it doesn't affect me. I just want to know the end goal.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Sweet Jesus.

Sonicfox got bodied 10-4.
FGC twitter is blowing up right now, and it's not even Tuesday yet :laugh:

Chrono.

Like you all can go back and forth about which one is a trash fire it doesn't affect me. I just want to know the end goal.
Yeah that's basically the argument though it sorta devolved on ****ting on FE more than it's worth.
FGC twitter is blowing up right now, and it's not even Tuesday yet :laugh:

I liked this one.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Okay I think the quoting here might be ****ed up because I have like a million people yelling at me. Relax guys.
I mean honestly, I don't think what's going to give Advance Wars the advantage is making more waifus. In fact of all the things it could borrow from FE, "make the women hotter" is honestly not one of them.

'Cause you know what I really want from my game that's about war? Boobs.
Everyone knows girls in bikinis, and nameless army folks getting blown up for the sake of fighting for both their lives and the lives of their country go so well together.
Because that's the only thing that could get IS to bring the series back (or rather the thing that they think will make it sell, however true or untrue).

Read up my previous post because I discuss how IS could go about introducing all those things they mentioned while keeping AW largely the same.
With Advance Wars, the characters were nothing more than bonuses, much like the Civilisations' bonuses from Age of Empires. Fire Emblem has you playing characters with backstories, personalities and whatnot. You learn about these characters. You can connect with the characters thanks to what you learn about them.
Meanwhile, you learn next to nothing about AW characters, except with Days of Ruin, which was actually character focused, but also panned as well due to some different gameplay mechanics.
It's not a matter of "what is better", it's a matter of what appeals to a larger audience.
FE appeals to strategy games fans and those who like character narratives.
AW only appeals to the former, it's a much smaller audience.
No it absolutely wasn't. You're putting words in their mouths out of salt and spite.

And for your sake I hope when you say the pre-Awakening games were crap you mean sales-wise, otherwise your bias is clouding your thinking again. Character interaction is one hundred percent what IS was talking about. Things like the support and base conversations.

And you're missing the point. If you're playing, say, Shadow Dragon and your mage dies, you don't lose "Mage." You lose Merric, Marth's childhood friend who put all of his effort into learning magic because he was too weak growing up to be a knight, all to protect Marth and Elice, the only two people who showed him kindness growing up. Now he's dead and will never see Altea and Khadein free from tyranny.

If you lose an infantry unit in AW there's no personal connection, just a mild inconvenience.

Basically, just look at Smash's Assists. Fire Emblem has Lyn. Advance Wars has...Infantry and Tanks.
Yeah, exactly. The numbers pre-Awakening games were doing weren't that great (and to be far AW also faced that problem just so you don't think i'm biased against it) and the relationship mechanic wasn't doing it any favors despite all the exposure FE got from Smash Bros. So really that's all there is to it.

And see the post I said earlier about implementing the changes IS said AW would need.

AW having Infantry and Tanks is because those are the symbols that are the most historically significant to it's franchise going back to Famicom Wars of 1988. It has nothing to do with the narrative your trying to pull. It's not like the series is going to get multiple AT's in anyways.
Awakening didn't succeed because of waifus. That certainly helped but what was truly responsible for its success is that IS and Nintendo actually bothered to ****ing advertise it.
I don't agree with this sentiment. FE had more than enough exposure from Smash Bros and other places.
What you said was more or less a fancy way of saying, "I don't care. They won't give me what I want, so I don't like them."

Do you see what I'm getting at? Do not let bias, hatred or whatever twist what people say into what you want to believe or what they mean. It's not good and selfish.
No it's not. How I feel about the situation means nothing about what they said and I would like it if you guys stopped throwing that fallacy. My point still stands despite whatever rationale people come up with.
Yeah that's basically the argument though it sorta devolved on ****ting on FE more than it's worth.
That's not what it's about. Don't join in if all your going to do is lie

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Despite the fact you could marry them off in previous games. As stated, marriage wasn't what saved Fire Emblem. It was actually marketing and advertising that saved Fire Emblem. They treated it like the last one. They tried to make it their last Big Bang. This Big Bang ended up saving Fire Emblem.
And that game has sold better than Awakening in Japan. Moreover, after that game, the series dipped in sales until the mechanic returned.

Meanwhile the games have continued to double down on the relationship and sexual angle of their characters. They know what sells. Awakening did not receive anything more than mid-tier advertising, it could almost be considered a sleeper hit. It surprised IS, who makes this statement about how to bring more numbers to AW. Let's not be dense. Advertising is part of it, as it would be for any product, quality is part of it, as they're very solid games, and the relationship mechanic carries the weight as well.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Dude are you just coming in here posting **** you think is going on? Because that wasn't even my point in this whole thing. I feel like a broken record saying this and I feel your just instigating really.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, exactly. The numbers pre-Awakening games were doing weren't that great (and to be far AW also faced that problem just so you don't think i'm biased against it) and the relationship mechanic wasn't doing it any favors despite all the exposure FE got from Smash Bros. So really that's all there is to it.

And see the post I said earlier about implementing the changes IS said AW would need.

AW having Infantry and Tanks is because those are the symbols that are the most historically significant to it's franchise going back to Famicom Wars of 1988. It has nothing to do with the narrative your trying to pull. It's not like the series is going to get multiple AT's in anyways.
That doesn't answer any of the actual points I made though.
I don't agree with this sentiment. FE had more than enough exposure from Smash Bros and other places
Smash is not an advertisement.

D

Deleted member

@AreJay25
Thanks for playing Smash Brothers with me! You are so good, I only won two rounds compared to the multiple of other rounds. :)
You're still spouting this even after people told you you misconstrued the quote?

They said that people didn't feel as connected to AW's characters like they do Fire Emblem...and that's completely true. In Fire Emblem, each unit has a name and personality, hopes and dreams, a story. They're people. Meanwhile Advance Wars has disposable units that you feel no investment in, as you can just buy more. Hell, Brawl in the Family did a comic based on the idea.

It has nothing to do with "waifu ****." It has to do with the fact that Advance Wars' gameplay isn't character driven like Fire Emblem's is, so it doesn't appeal to many outside of strategy game fans. The humanity aspect is what sets Fire Emblem apart.
Brawl in the Family? I loved those comics!

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Dude are you just coming in here posting **** you think is going on? Because that wasn't even my point in this whole thing. I feel like a broken record saying this and I feel your just instigating really.
Pause.

Look, I don't mean to be rude, I sincerely mean it, but what does this have to do with Sub's post? From what I can tell, he legitimately wants to understand what the argument is about and what the end goal of said argument is, and now you're lashing out at him for it instead of just calmly telling informing him? Honestly, it seems like you're the one that's instigating here.

Last edited:

Chrono.

You're getting a bit heated yourself.

He didn't even quote you there so just leave it be.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Okay.
Bye guys I'm heading out.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's going to be a long night for me huh?
That doesn't answer any of the actual points I made though.
It does. If you actually bothered to read it you would know.
Smash is not an advertisement.
:roymelee::4corrin:

And besides that FE benefited from exposure to a game that attracts people in the millions and it was still doing the numbers it did. That's what I was saying.
Pause.

Look, I don't mean to be rude, I sincerely mean it, but what does this have to do with Sub's post? From what I can tell, he legitimately wants to understand what the argument is about and what the end goal of said argument is, and now you're lashing out at him for it instead of just calmly telling informing him? Honestly, it seems like you're the one that's instigating here.
You're getting a bit heated yourself.

He didn't even quote you there so just leave it be.
Well sorry i guess having to deal with like multiple people all against me is getting me worked up.

I just don't like it when he comes in and says "oh so you guys are arguing this huh" when he can read what's going on. No offense Substitution Substitution

D

Deleted member

It does. If you actually bothered to read it you would know
I did. All you said was how FE's sales were bad before Awakening, not answering to my point regarding FE's wider appeal compared to AW.
And besides that FE benefited from exposure to a game that attracts people in the millions and it was still doing the numbers it did. That's what I was saying.
Those character's inclusion may have been, but the game itself is not.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And that game has sold better than Awakening in Japan. Moreover, after that game, the series dipped in sales until the mechanic returned.

Meanwhile the games have continued to double down on the relationship and sexual angle of their characters. They know what sells. Awakening did not receive anything more than mid-tier advertising, it could almost be considered a sleeper hit. It surprised IS, who makes this statement about how to bring more numbers to AW. Let's not be dense. Advertising is part of it, as it would be for any product, quality is part of it, as they're very solid games, and the relationship mechanic carries the weight as well.
When it comes to advertising, what I honestly believe helped Awakening the most was the demo.

With just seeing Marth and Ike in Smash, you have no idea what their games are like and as such don't know if they're worth a purchase. The demo, being free, was a safe way for more folks to try it.

It's silly to say Smash isn't an advertisement, but I honestly don't think it's enough for something like a strategy game, where you don't get enough of a feel of the game through its characters being on the roster. Just my two cents.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
It's going to be a long night for me huh?

It does. If you actually bothered to read it you would know.

:roymelee::4corrin:

Well sorry i guess having to deal with like multiple people all against me is getting me worked up.

I just don't like it when he comes in and says "oh so you guys are arguing this huh" when he can read what's going on. No offense Substitution Substitution
Fair enough, I know how it feels, I had it had it just as bad as you did when the leaks group was still around, and I can understand being flustered when arguing with multiple people, but there are definitely better ways to express your disdain than the way you initially presented it.

Also, he clearly did at least attempt to figure out what the argument is, going by the post before the one you quoted, but he still didn't understand the argument anyway; but even then, I'm admittedly still confused as to why his post was a point of contention for you, but I won't bother questioning it.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I did. All you said was how FE's sales were bad before Awakening, not answering to my point regarding FE's wider appeal compared to AW.
I specifically mentioned that even though FE had that it was still not pulling in the numbers before Awakening despite it's perceived "advantage". And since you brought that up AW and FE were pulling in the similar numbers in the 2000's (the ones that released in Japan) with AW having the upper hand in the West.

Again I don't want to turn this in to FE VS AW because i'm sick to death of that. That was for reference only.
Those character's inclusion may have been, but the game itself is not.
Yes but having characters from the franchise would give it more than enough awareness beyond it's user base to expand. People bought FE7 because it was the game they remembered from Melee and they thought Eliwood was Roy on the cover (well not everyone but still). And even after that with additional new content in Brawl the series was still on the road to the chopping block.
Damn,I feel like ive been missing out on some good games by not playing Valkyria Chronicals
TBH i've never played VC myself though I might try it out sometime in the future.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When it comes to advertising, what I honestly believe helped Awakening the most was the demo.

With just seeing Marth and Ike in Smash, you have no idea what their games are like and as such don't know if they're worth a purchase. The demo, being free, was a safe way for more folks to try it.

It's silly to say Smash isn't an advertisement, but I honestly don't think it's enough for something like a strategy game, where you don't get enough of a feel of the game through its characters being on the roster. Just my two cents.
Sure demos help, but I don't think they're enough to push a niche series with dwindling appeal to near 2 million units. That's over double the last few games' reception due to a demo... are you sure?

I do agree Smash isn't enough of an advertisement to get FE to what it is now though. But then again my whole argument is contingent around advertisement only being one factor in FE's current lofty status.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
FE taking on a more anime-esque aesthetic definitely helped the series with its appeal imo.

Purely anecdotal, but I know an old acquaintance of mine who got in to FE because of the anime aesthetic Awakening and Fates took on. He was aware of FE's existence beforehand, but the style of Awakening is what drew him in.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just gonna drop one thing in the relationship suggestion for Advance Wars.

What would be the point of it? It works with Fire Emblem because everyone has a unique backstory, a unique personality and the skillset can differ from one character to the other too. These pairings can give a lot of customization, either by trying to cover a unit's weakness by pairing them with one who can back them up or simply putting two character together and making them fall in love because why not. There's a lot of possibilities.

Meanwhile, unlike FE, Advance Wars doesn't have a lot of characters who aren't nameless soldiers that are expendable, so you would't have a lot of options. There'd be the handful of characters who matter (like Andy or Sami) and then you'd have Infantry Unit #45.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I might leave Smashboards soon.
The official speculation thread has become toxic as **** since the game's announcement and the hot topic in the newcomer speculation thread is Goku.
Otherwise there's nothing interesting aside from the support thread I run.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

What would be the point of it? It works with Fire Emblem because everyone has a unique backstory, a unique personality and the skillset can differ from one character to the other too. These pairings can give a lot of customization, either by trying to cover a unit's weakness by pairing them with one who can back them up or simply putting two character together and making them fall in love because why not. There's a lot of possibilities.

Meanwhile, unlike FE, Advance Wars doesn't have a lot of characters who aren't nameless soldiers that are expendable, so you would't have a lot of options. There'd be the handful of characters who matter (like Andy or Sami) and then you'd have Infantry Unit #45.
To increase the game's audience.

Obviously it doesn't need it to be a good game.

The fact that it's not so smoothly implemented is the reason you haven't seen a new AW game yet. IS basically said they're trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sure demos help, but I don't think they're enough to push a niche series with dwindling appeal to near 2 million units. That's over double the last few games' reception due to a demo... are you sure?

I do agree Smash isn't enough of an advertisement to get FE to what it is now though. But then again my whole argument is contingent around advertisement only being one factor in FE's current lofty status.
Normally no, but having a free demo available at a time in which the 3DS library was pretty small did contribute significantly, I think. It's anecdotal for sure, but I often see it listed as a "what got you into the series" thing alongside Smash Bros. when those discussions arise. Hell. I was one of them. :p

Truth be told I think it was a matter of circumstance. A perfect storm, if you will. Free demo, not a lot of 3DS games around, people recognized the series through Smash, and the aesthetic brought in some of the anime crowd.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The official speculation thread has become toxic as **** since the game's announcement and the hot topic in the newcomer speculation thread is Goku.
Bruh just hide in here for a while until things simmer down.

We're plenty interesting even without Smash news.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
To increase the game's audience.

Obviously it doesn't need it to be a good game.

The fact that it's not so smoothly implemented is the reason you haven't seen a new AW game yet. IS basically said they're trying to figure it out.
So basically, they're trying to make "Fire Emblem with guns?" :confused:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How has it been toxic? I don't really notice anything out of the ordinary to be honest.

Ivander

Smash Legend
No it's not. How I feel about the situation means nothing about what they said and I would like it if you guys stopped throwing that fallacy. My point still stands despite whatever rationale people come up with.
Except it is. What they said stated nothing about waifus and whatnot, but you are twisting their words so that it's "obviously" about Waifus.

And how you feel does mean something. Feelings are a big part about us. When we are not happy about something, we do show it for the majority, regardless of whether or not we believe it. And you have admitted that you don't like the attention Fire Emblem gets over Advance Wars, you have said remarks that show you being unhappy over IS showering over FE compared to AW, and you don't like whatever the new games are going for.
That is perfectly fine, but you are letting it twist what real people are saying and letting that be your "evidence". And that isn't fine. That is your feelings making you decide what people said or what they meant. "People don't feel as connected to AW's characters like they do Fire Emblem". Can it imply Waifus? Maybe, but you obviously don't know that. Obviously I don't either. This wasn't something said by an AI character. This is something said by a real person. No one is a mind reader. Can we predict or guess? Yes, but guessing and predicting ultimately has the accuracy of an Magic Eight Ball.

Look at characters like Lyn, Ike, Hector, Ephraim, Joshua, Nephenee being so high up on the first Fire Emblem poll. Look at Dorcas, who was memed so much that he was super high on the list as well. That shows merit to their quote of "People don't feel as connected to AW's characters like they do Fire Emblem", because obviously, people actually do care about these characters if they are so high up. Heck, Dorcas being up there shows that people certainly remember the Fire Emblem commercial.

Anyway, having opinions is fine. Twisting words to fit your opinion and use as "evidence" is not. You can guess all you like, but guessing never gives you the answer. Can they imply something? Yes they can, but you don't know if they actually did. Real people are not predictable. And real people's words should not be twisted to fit the whims of others or yourself.
If you feel that's what you should do, that's fine. It's going to get especially hot when the game gets closer and closer. Probably more than your Chandelure can handle with Flash Fire.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

I mentioned that in my post when I said that AW could have CO's acquired throughout the story in battle that take positions during gamplay while still retaining the nameless soldiers from the previous games.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I'll give you a tip then.

If you ever buy the game, don't finish the story until you have the 3.0 update. I'm fairly certain that the Callie stuff they brought up in the Direct is related to the story mode, which...
...is great because you get literally no reward from completing the story right now.
Well, I always make sure to update all my games when I buy them, so next time I put them in next, I can just play right away.

You're still spouting this even after people told you you misconstrued the quote?

They said that people didn't feel as connected to AW's characters like they do Fire Emblem...and that's completely true. In Fire Emblem, each unit has a name and personality, hopes and dreams, a story. They're people. Meanwhile Advance Wars has disposable units that you feel no investment in, as you can just buy more. Hell, Brawl in the Family did a comic based on the idea.

It has nothing to do with "waifu ****." It has to do with the fact that Advance Wars' gameplay isn't character driven like Fire Emblem's is, so it doesn't appeal to many outside of strategy game fans. The humanity aspect is what sets Fire Emblem apart.
AW was never really a character driven story, it was always more along the lines of a plot driven story. What with each game having a end of the world scenario.

It was half story, half the combat. After the surprisingly compelling plots of The Thousand-Year Door and Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star deliberately reverting to the generic "Bowser kidnapped Peach, adventure through these generic environments to save her" felt like a slap to the face. Bowser himself didn't even talk, after three games of his lines being comedy gold! And when the entire combat system revolved around limited ammunition, and your reward for combat was merely money to buy more of that ammunition, it felt like getting into battle was pointless.

To its credit, Color Splash fixed the former and partially fixed the latter: the writing is stellar and often hilarious again, and while the ammo-based combat system is still rough around the edges, it's more consistent about what you can do (you get upgrades to how many cards you can use per turn, rather than it being up to RNG), has a failsafe in case you run out of cards, and even gives a reward of sorts for combat in the form of pickups that increase your max paint capacity when you collect enough. While I do miss the old style of Paper Mario, that doesn't mean this new style is without its merits. Personally, I'd want to see them borrow from Mega Man Battle Network's mechanics more--make the cards work once per fight but not be destroyed afterward, put a cap on how big Mario's "deck" can be (along with more rules on what card combos he can do in a given turn), and then have a big collection of his extra cards that he can switch in and out of his deck as needed.

And that's why I have a problem with so many other Paper Mario fans: they act as if only the old style should be allowed to exist. It bleeds over into Paper Mario character concepts I've seen as well, with people being very vocal about building movesets for him based only on the first three games, turning their noses at anything after for daring to not fit exactly what they wanted. And I have to wonder...what causes them to be so hostile?
I do actually have the same problem with Sticker Star when it comes to story, basically not enough of actual interactions between characters, since as you said, Bowser wasn't allowed to talk.

And here's the thing I've noticed about the Paper Mario series, it seems that this is where all the crazy self-entitled Mario fans were hiding all this time. But this just maybe the bubbles I've wondered into, and most Paper Mario fans are sane.

And it is weird how so many act like the old style is the one true style, when there's been 5 games, and all of them have been experimental RPG game mechanics, outside of the 2nd one.

But something that gets in my grill when it comes to certain Paper Mario fans, who say Mario & Luigi series was getting stale, when Mario & Luigi games aren't their thing, so I can't really trust them when it comes to these games, plus Mario & Luigi is my favourite Mario sub-series, I don't find the series getting stale at all.

Oh yeah that was a feature from Days of Ruin. I think that game did the tutorial better than AW1 did when it forced you to do the Field Training or at least the last mission of it.

What I was thinking of was a military Academy of sorts (one where you have access to multiple CO's and various CO's join you throughout the game ala FE) where CO's go to interact with one another and talk about the conflicts going on in the world or just personal hardships they have. It would be a way for them to have more interaction with each other especially between missions. You would be able to romance said CO's as well and ship them between fellow nation CO's to strengthen nation ties or something like that.

I also want to make it clear that I don't think AW is going to give up it's core gameplay. I feel it will largely be the same game with the only difference being that CO's will be able to be used in battle using different units and can be leveled up similar to Fire Emblem (the game they want Advance Wars to be like). There would still be expendable units with bases/ports/airports in addition to that. I also feel that a new Advance Wars would introduce an Easy Campaign in addition to the Normal and Hard ones already in the game as a way for casuals to feel more comfortable playing the game. Easy Campaign would be when you have an advantage in all the missions (more units, resources, etc.). Other than that AW can stay the same.

And to your first point I think equipable CO Powers would be locked for everyone but the avatar character as a way to make the player feel more immersed with the avatar.
I like your idea of how to find out more characters in AW, but I still don't feel like having units level up and such, fits AW to be honest. And I still don't want avatar in AW, I don't want them in FE either, but its happened and I live with it. Plus each CO power, to me at least, added to the different ways each commander inspired their troops, or the different tactic a commending officer would use in battle, like having a CO that focuses on massive manufacturing, instead of experience troops for example, so that's why I don't want a Avatar in AW.

Hey man i'd take an Eshop title over the mass amount of nothing from the past decade. Sign me up.

I think doing that would gauge a lot of interest and is a great way to introduce the franchise to newcomers so when IS decides to revive AW it won't be a huge introduction for newcomers. More people would be demanding a sequel which is what the series needs. Doing that would also make Andy more relevant in the present day which increases his Smash chances so that's a double bonus lol. Here's hoping something like that gets announced at E3.
I doubt they'd announce an AW at E3, not a big enough name, but Treehouse could happen.

Well not really. FE was on the chopping block twice even despite it's Smash Bros exposure and only became a mainstay after Awakening. Splatoon has always been successful since it's beginning and Nintendo treats that franchise as one of their staples right up there with Mario and Zelda.

Splatoon doesn't need a third game because the 2nd is still doing huge numbers and Nintendo is still supporting it.
Here's the thing, I still think Splatoon is still riding the new IP hype it had, so I still think it needs to wait for the bump up. And FE wasn't really on the chopping block twice, you know it had an N64 game in development right? IS just didn't come up with something they liked for that gen. It was only on the chopping block in 3DS/Wii U era.

I didn't necessary like 9/10 but my interest the series dwindled after 7. I felt that I had enough MP games at that point between the N64/Gamecube ones.

What IS said was more or less a fancy way of saying that AW needed to get amped up in the waifu department.

And yes it's true because pre-Awakening FE games were lousy and IS admitted that the series was going to get cut if Awakening didn't do well. Relationships were always a thing in FE before that and it didn't make it sell all that great. Of course I do think AW could benefit more from relationships being added as I mentioned in my post.

And honestly that whole notion is bull because AW requires you to use your units strategically and not losing the key units you need in battle to get the advantage.. I'd even argue some units in FE are expendable because half the party usually sits out at the end chapters while your broken units does all the slaughtering for you. It's all perspective man.

Please do without this crap. Thank you very much.
You sure they didn't just mean deeper characters? And no, FE actively punishes you for losing characters, with it locking you out from that characters Support conversations, and items they'd give you in Base conversations.

Awakening didn't succeed because of waifus. That certainly helped but what was truly responsible for its success is that IS and Nintendo actually bothered to ****ing advertise it.
That's true, though didn't they push Arms? And that didn't blow up like Splatoon did.

What you said was more or less a fancy way of saying, "I don't care. They won't give me what I want, so I don't like them."

Do you see what I'm getting at? Do not let bias, hatred or whatever twist what people say into what you want to believe or what they mean. It's not good and selfish.

With Advance Wars, the characters were nothing more than bonuses, much like the Civilisations' bonuses from Age of Empires. Fire Emblem has you playing characters with backstories, personalities and whatnot. You learn about these characters. You can connect with the characters thanks to what you learn about them.
Meanwhile, you learn next to nothing about AW characters, except with Days of Ruin, which was actually character focused, but also panned as well due to some different gameplay mechanics.

Despite the fact you could marry them off in previous games. As stated, marriage wasn't what saved Fire Emblem. It was actually marketing and advertising that saved Fire Emblem. They treated it like the last one. They tried to make it their last Big Bang. This Big Bang ended up saving Fire Emblem.
Except you couldn't really do marriage until Awakening though, FE4 was a one off for the series until Awakening.

Thing is, you could do deep characterisation for AW characters, cause even though its a small group, you could still have the cliched stories of how each CO became a CO, you could have the old wartime veteran, the upcoming newcomer, the hardworking nobody that proved themselves, the story of a privileged person proofing themselves to their troops and other things, Days of Ruin did this, I believe, so AW can have deep characters and story, it just doesn't apply to the units.

Also to note, I'm a Fire Emblem fan then I am an AW fans, I just don't want FE gameplay in AW gameplay, cause that's not why I came to the AW for.

Edit: Also did I set the thread on fire again? I seem to be doing that alot lately, or I end up killing it.

Sorry...

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
ITT: Advance Wars

Oh no, not the games, there's just clearly a war going on in here and it certainly ain't a normal one.

D

Deleted member

I honestly didn't know FE was a thing until I saw some videos of FEA pop up shortly before its release. I liked what I saw, saw there was a demo in the EShop and played it.
The demo was what sold me in the end, hell, I pkayed it, like, 20 times at least.

D

Deleted member

How I feel reading these posts:
haha.gif

Either way, how is Kirby Star Allies for all of you?

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I mentioned that in my post when I said that AW could have CO's acquired throughout the story in battle that take positions during gamplay while still retaining the nameless soldiers from the previous games.
So basically, you start at a CO's origin story instead of their end point?

Ivander

Smash Legend
That's true, though didn't they push Arms? And that didn't blow up like Splatoon did.

Except you couldn't really do marriage until Awakening though, FE4 was a one off for the series until Awakening.
Arms was still successful though. Especially for a new system.

You could do marriage in the games past Genealogy and Thracia. You could marry Lyn to either Eliwood, Hector, Rath or Kent. You could marry Ninian or Flora to Eliwood and Florina and Farina to Hector. You could make Roy's mother either Ninian, Lyn or Fiora. You could make Lilina's mother either Lyn, Florina or Farina. Marriage was very much a thing in those games. What you are thinking of is the Children System, which was only in FE4.

How I feel reading these posts:
View attachment 138913
Either way, how is Kirby Star Allies for all of you?
I still have to wait before I get it. I do have a check coming in soon and hopefully I'll be able to get Star Allies when my check comes in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom