• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Since this is the place to go until the Social thread starts back up, I just wanna voice my opinion on the Brelooming situation.

View attachment 223890

This is the THIRD ****ING TIME I've been a part of a community where someone fakes their death for attention.

I was suspicious purely because I've been through this sort of thing before, but Brelooming was a good kid (or so I thought), so I didn't want to call him out without good evidence.

I was a fool.
Man, you shared the news because you thought it was what was right, and that’s fine. No one is blaming you for this in the slightest.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Since this is the place to go until the Social thread starts back up, I just wanna voice my opinion on the Brelooming situation.

View attachment 223890

This is the THIRD ****ING TIME I've been a part of a community where someone fakes their death for attention.

I was suspicious purely because I've been through this sort of thing before, but Brelooming was a good kid (or so I thought), so I didn't want to call him out without good evidence.

I was a fool.
He got us all

For whatever reason this community is tight knit, we care

and he used that

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So I need to make a statement about Brelooming. I don't want the conversation to be dominated by what he did, but I really need to say my piece.

Without going into too many details, I knew he was faking his TB. I talked with him virtually every day. He approached me immediately after joining the site-- and before-- and basically talked to me every day with a new bit of chaos. I've been around these types before: compulsive liars who feel that their real life is so mundane that they need to create a new, outlandish life to gain the attention they crave from others. In truth, I should have called him out on all of this sooner, but without any substantial proof, I thought it better to simply keep talking with him so he'd get the attention he wanted without spreading that need further.

However, by the time he "got TB", I realized that this was the wrong move. Turns out I wasn't the only one he was constantly talking to. I was approached via PM by a number of people concerned for him, people who had apparently also "been talking to him for a long time". He roped a number of the Social regulars into his group of people to lie to, to validate his made up life with care and affection. I was asked specifically about what we should do for him, and I wanted so badly to say then and there, "Guys, he's faking." There was so much circumstantial evidence but no proof, so I didn't.

On a site I moderated about seven-eight years ago, a regular user faked his own death. Said he got cancer and had a month to live, then died a week later only for his relatives to tell our community via his Skype. But the admin was suspicious and used his knowledge through the site to look up the dude's Facebook to find that he had never had cancer and was alive and well; he'd rejoined the site as a new member immediately before his "death" so he could watch the site mourn him. It was ****ed up, but when the admin in question brought these findings public, there was an enormous backlash from members who didn't believe him or thought he'd overstepped his bounds in looking up his personal information like that.

This was all in the back of my mind when Brelooming started talking about the possibility of death. I knew-- I ****ing knew-- he was saying all this to build the idea up in our heads that he'd die. But everyone here had such genuine, heartbroken emotions over it that I was afraid a similar thing would happen if I tried to call him out. This is why I haven't been present the past week. I've been stewing and livid, unsure of whom I should tell or what I should do when a regular user is faking his own death and pulling on all my friends' heartstrings in a morbid, ****ed up, unforgivable way. I guess I'd hoped he wouldn't go through with it. But then he did, and I just wanted to scream.

So thank you, @ClaTheBae @punished faygo @Pyra and anyone else who did the digging, because I felt too powerless to. I was worried digging would prompt backlash, and paint the mods as uncaring. I thought my only option was to watch his IP address and bring it to the admins if he came back on another account. But now that everyone knows, that pit in my stomach isn't as deep anymore. I still feel ****ty, and I'm sorry that I didn't have the conviction to do something before he took all of you through the wringer. I did a poor job as both a moderator and as a friend. But I'll try not to let the experience make me cold to other people who approach me for help.

I just... gah. ****. ****ing ****.
Yer fine mate.
He caught you in a tough spot given what you've said here and you're right to have been cautious and nervous over whether or not to tell everyone. He had us all way too far in.

Not the first time people here have lied about awful **** like amnesia, getting shot or this. Won't be the last either. It's always a tough spot to be in.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
It’s stupid, like a detective feeling bad for not solving a case that never existed...
1558638399506.png

he walked through those doors like a breloom walks into petalburg woods -- a catastrophe, really. i'd planned to take the day off; spend time with a couple of buddies, have a few drinks, talk through our problems. but this one, he was clever, he was crafty. i should've seen it coming; he had bad news written on him like october of '29. but i never listened to my gut instinct. sure as hell paid the price for it, too. he got close, opened up like no-one's ever opened up, shared every problem he had like he was bearing every problem in the stinkin' world. even half-believed him. the guy pulled me along like dogs pull a sled, and before i knew it, it was too late to duck out.

lights cigar

guess i was the fool all along. i can laugh at the world all i want now... but who's the real disaster?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Maybe I'm not livid like some of you guys since I was never really close to Breloom.

In fact, I really have a hard time feeling close to anyone I never met personally. Which by extent would mean you guys as well

But I just don't feel right about they way I feel about this whole situation. All I feel is "wow, what a jerk, get this guy some professional help asap." In fact, all I felt when he announced his "death" was, "wow, that sucks. Best of wishes though".

Is something wrong with me?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I haven't been saying much on this partly because I don't want to drag the topic out, and also partly because I was never close with Brelooming anyway. I only occasionally interacted with him.

However, another significant reason I'm not saying much is because I don't want to give him the satisfaction of receiving whatever kind of ****ing attention he wants at this point. This is ****ed up. You don't get to screw with people's minds and emotions like that. You just don't.

D

Deleted member

I just preordered Ultimate Alliance 3 at last.

Excited to pick it at launch alongside DQB2.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
He got us all

For whatever reason this community is tight knit, we care

and he used that
I've been through this scenario twice before.

Someone using a community that cares about them for their own personal attention-seeking gain.

I should've known this was the same type of deal.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I feel like an absolute fool. As edgy as this sounds, I was blinded by my emotions. I only though once, “Gee, why is messaging us in a hospital bed?” and then I forgot it. I feel stupid, not gonna lie.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I haven't been saying much on this partly because I don't want to drag the topic out, and also partly because I was never close with Brelooming anyway. I only occasionally interacted with him.

However, another significant reason I'm not saying much is because I don't want to give him the satisfaction of receiving whatever kind of ****ing attention he wants at this point. This is ****ed up. You don't get to screw with people's minds and emotions like that. You just don't.
**** you're right

if he's watching he's probably eating this up i should chill

it's just

i've never been betrayed like this

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
just heard the news. Thought it was a little weird that he asked the thread what TB was hours before he announced his diagnosis, but never suspected he was faking it. That's some grinch leak **** lol

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Aww man... I can't believe that after all these years of being a chill streamer and a friendly fighting game activist was all just a ruse...
Scrublord 2.0.png

Max really is Scrublord 2.0. Ugh, some people are just two-faced...

(I'm kidding btw)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, when I first heard the news, I knew it wasn’t going to be easy on you. I’d love to help you in any way I can, whether that be turning the MC server back on or whatnot.

If you want to talk, my Discord is Taykor F#2966.

If anyone wants to talk, contact me there.

(Lookin’ at you, Noi.)
You are too mature for me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe I'm not livid like some of you guys since I was never really close to Breloom.

In fact, I really have a hard time feeling close to anyone I never met personally. Which by extent would mean you guys as well

But I just don't feel right about they way I feel about this whole situation. All I feel is "wow, what a jerk, get this guy some professional help asap." In fact, all I felt when he announced his "death" was, "wow, that sucks. Best of wishes though".

Is something wrong with me?
Nope, that was my initial reaction, too. That's why I didn't talk about it much.

I'm angry because he had nerve to made people I care about miserable about nothing.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
**** you're right

if he's watching he's probably eating this up i should chill

it's just

i've never been betrayed like this
At the end of the day he probably feels bad now. Judging by the little he did say about him faking his death, he felt horrible.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
D

Deleted member

My heart has been crushed under the vicious boot of betrayal. I may not trust anybody ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom