• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Wow, Dragon Ball Super managed to get #3 in the Box Office. It's a little over 10 million bucks. That might not seem that impressive at first glance though. And it's only on limited release if I remember. The fact that a 2D animated movie is getting any decent level of success is pretty cool. I probably won't watch it in theaters, but I do want to watch it since the animation looks pretty damn good.

And if you haven't watched it, watch Spider-Verse. Peter Parker is still the GOAT. And that movie is the BEST version of Miles Morales to date.
I was really hyped for Spiderverse but I got spoiled on a crucial plot point and it really killed my desire to watch.

Specifically the fact that Peter dies.

I'll watch it eventually, but man that sucked.

So Decidueye was almost chosen over Incineroar, as the two actually were "competing" for the Pokémon spot.

RIP my bird boy, but at least he was considered. He had that over the other options at least. :p
I mean I think both would've been interesting (I'd imagine Decidueye as being even MORE archery oriented than Pit) but damn does it hurt to know the owl boy almost made it in but lost out at the last second.

I'm surprised Mimikyu wasn't considered at all considering how popular it was. That was the Gen 7 rep I wanted the most.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I much would've preferred they picked a Pokemon that's not just a starter.
It seems kinda pointless to make the distinction like that. Why should good picks be passed over just because they're a starter?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Guess I need to be apologetic on thinking Decidueye never being in Smash (I thought Pokkén Tournament DX made it not possible)

Will never apologize for Sceptile though.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Both. I’m just mad at him because he said the 90s Mortal Kombat theme is edgy when it’s the polar opposite.
didnt he say that like a month ago

and how is it not edgy now if the formula is generally the same

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

didnt he say that like a month ago

and how is it not edgy now if the formula is generally the same
No, I talk to him in the PMs also he was talking about MK a few days ago.

Also what? I’m talking about the 90s song, it’s anything but edgy.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Specifically the fact that Peter dies.
(I'd imagine Decidueye as being even MORE archery oriented than Pit)
Miles becomes Spider-Man because his Peter Parker dies yes...but that’s how it went down in the comics aswell. Trust me when I say the comics version of Ultimate Spider-Man dying is even worse in the emotional department because sad reasons
2. No to anyone being more archer than Pit

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
It seems kinda pointless to make the distinction like that. Why should good picks be passed over just because they're a starter?
Half of the playable Pokemon being starters feels like a huge waste of potential for the series. And IMO an Ultra Beast would've been the best way to represent Gen 7.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No, I talk to him in the PMs also he was talking about MK a few days ago.

Also what? I’m talking about the 90s song, it’s anything but edgy.
oh, i thought you meant the actual theme, not the theme song

the theme song is for hype, not for edge

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Half of the playable Pokemon being starters feels like a huge waste of potential for the series. And IMO an Ultra Beast would've been the best way to represent Gen 7.
Aren't you just needlessly limiting yourself by saying "well, we can't use this Pokémon because we already have starters" and things like that?
Starters are generally created with cohesive themes in mind and are characters all Pokémon players will know. It absolutely makes sense as to why they tend to get chosen.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'd assume they might have went with Incineroar to be a bit different from Pokken?
Sakurai actually confirmed in some interview (that I'm too lazy to source) that he chose Incineroar because he always wanted a wrestler type fighter in the game.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Sakurai actually confirmed in some interview (that I'm too lazy to source) that he chose Incineroar because he always wanted a wrestler type fighter in the game.
Yeah, I know that...

I'm just wondering if Decidueye already being in Pokken also helped

Potato_

Smash Lord
Miles becomes Spider-Man because his Peter Parker dies yes...but that’s how it went down in the comics aswell. Trust me when I say the comics version of Ultimate Spider-Man dying is even worse in the emotional department because sad reasons
Yeah I know about Peter dying in the comics, but I didn't know or expect them to follow the same path in this movie. Honestly didn't even cross my mind.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah, I know that...

I somehow don't think so cuz I feel like Sakurai wouldn't use outside sources (apart from their main source) to influence his decision, unless of course GF/TPC had swayed his decision partly because of that, since we know they can be a bit partial to which pokemon gets in Smash or not.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't agree with barring starters from being picked. I can understand wanting more variety in the choices, but if you had the option to pick a very interesting starter with a good theme that oozes personality and uniqueness and a non-starter that's not bad, but lacks in the options they could give as a playable fighter, would you really choose the latter just for that variety?

It's better to pick a potential fighter that you feel people will have fun playing and gravitate to more then someone just for the sake of uniqueness of situation, otherwise you may end up with a bland choice that not a lot of people enjoy.

Yeah, I know that...

Probably not as Sakurai doesn't seem to be the type to care about overlap like that, hell he even incorporates moves from other fighters as we've seen with Mega Man's Utilt. I think it just came down to Sakurai preferring the wrestler motif that Incineroar gave, Pokken probably wasn't that much of a consideration at all (particularly since Decidueye was only revealed as an addition for DX in the middle of 2017, long after the project plan and SM's release).

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Aren't you just needlessly limiting yourself by saying "well, we can't use this Pokémon because we already have starters" and things like that?
At the same time, it feels like they don't even consider any other Pokemon, when a lot of them would easily be unique.
Starters are generally created with cohesive themes in mind and are characters all Pokémon players will know. It absolutely makes sense as to why they tend to get chosen.
There are still other Pokemon that are promoted and/or popular and stand out. Starters may have some prominence, but if you only add them, you're kinda missing out.

My hope is that, when Gen 8 or 9 gets a playable rep, it'll be a Legendary, Mythical, or even common Pokemon.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
At the same time, it feels like they don't even consider any other Pokemon, when a lot of them would easily be unique.

There are still other Pokemon that are promoted and/or popular and stand out. Starters may have prominence, but if you only add them, you're kinda missing out.

My hope is that, when Gen 8 or 9 gets a playable rep, it'll be a Legendary, Mythical, or even common Pokemon.
It seems like Pokemon and FE's sides of the Smash fandom are opposites.

Pokemon fans: Accept the idea that there are too many Pokemon
FE fans: Want an ocean of anti-FE tears

Pokemon fans: Think it's okay for there to only be starters
FE fans: Want to kill the idea that FE is all Marths

Not to mention, FE fans are more focused on what's heavily marketed. Eevee should be the Lyn of Pokemon: So popular and promoted that their non-playable role in Smash should be considered absurd, even if it would cause some accusations of oversaturation (Another FE sword user, another gen 1 Pokemon)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Probably not as Sakurai doesn't seem to be the type to care about overlap like that, hell he even incorporates moves from other fighters as we've seen with Mega Man's Utilt. I think it just came down to Sakurai preferring the wrestler motif that Incineroar gave, Pokken probably wasn't that much of a consideration at all (particularly since Decidueye was only revealed as an addition for DX in the middle of 2017, long after the project plan and SM's release).
Mega Man's move is from a MegaMan game first, one of the arcade fighting games. It didn't come from MvC. I think it was MegaMan The Fighters? Or something like that.

Even then, I agree with your point. It's not an issue at all. The only reason he wouldn't include someone cause of another game is if that's some kind of agreement. Like if Rayman being in Brawlhala was under an agreement he couldn't be playable in another fighting game that's out around that time. It's a real thing that happens, as much as I doubt this being the case for this example.

Chrono.

Mega Man's move is from a MegaMan game first, one of the arcade fighting games. It didn't come from MvC. I think it was MegaMan The Fighters? Or something like that.

Even then, I agree with your point. It's not an issue at all. The only reason he wouldn't include someone cause of another game is if that's some kind of agreement. Like if Rayman being in Brawlhala was under an agreement he couldn't be playable in another fighting game that's out around that time. It's a real thing that happens, as much as I doubt this being the case for this example.
Yeah the Mega Upper appears in Mega Man 2 The Power Fighters, it predates MvC by 2 years or so.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It seems like Pokemon and FE's sides of the Smash fandom are opposites.

Pokemon fans: Accept the idea that there are too many Pokemon
FE fans: Want an ocean of anti-FE tears

Pokemon fans: Think it's okay for there to only be starters
FE fans: Want to kill the idea that FE is all Marths

Not to mention, FE fans are more focused on what's heavily marketed. Eevee should be the Lyn of Pokemon: So popular and promoted that their non-playable role in Smash should be considered absurd, even if it would cause some accusations of oversaturation (Another FE sword user, another gen 1 Pokemon)
I mean, fandoms are far from hiveminds. I am a big fan of both Pokémon and Fire Emblem and I don't necessarily agree with these stereotypes. I like characters from both series and want to see them in Smash, especially because the idea of a series being "over-represented" is incredibly stupid...like, how is it even possible to "over-represent" Pokémon, literally the highest grossing media franchise of all time?

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
>Small power outage in the morning
>The Cable TV got ****ed since then
>I can't draw with the silence of a no signal TV
>Switch now has Youtube
>There's an Official Yu-Gi-Oh! channel with episodes of the first series and GX in Latino
>Now I can continue doing Nudethras while listening Yugi bull**** play by play.

Comfiness 100
--------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom