• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Marvel Comics and DC Comics aren't far behind.
I meant "Media Enterprises" as a general blanket terms for all corporations that make media, including Marvel and DC.

Though in their case, it almost feels like they've actually gone backwards on that front.

They have a long history of introducing Minorities and having them gel naturally in the work (after a lengthy, but unavoidable considering the time, period of offensive or borderline offensive portrayals).

And then the most recent batch of writers come along and fall into the trap of using minority status to pander to audiences or as a character crutch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I meant "Media Enterprises" as a general blanket terms for all corporations that make media, including Marvel and DC.

Though in their case, it almost feels like they've actually gone backwards on that front.

They have a long history of introducing Minorities and having them gel naturally in the work (after a lengthy, but unavoidable considering the time, period of offensive or borderline offensive portrayals).

And then the most recent batch of writers come along and fall into the trap of using minority status to pander to audiences or as a character crutch.
Still doesn't make any sense to me that minorities even need to be excused to have any kind of portrayal of media as I already stated. Unless it breaks some kind of consistency of that character. But that could be the case with any contradictory trait. It still sounds to me like most people complaining about the reveal are just salty that 76 is gay, as the reveal didn't contradict anything about his current character. Wasn't even much of a big reveal in the first place.

Also those portrayals were perfectly avoidable as they are now(and yes, plenty still happen to this day), don't excuse the culture due to the time period. Yeah people and the news especially making a big deal out of character being gay may seem silly, but then I think about all of the bull**** people say about sexuality and can see why they celebrate.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
This looks so wrong now.
"Balloon knockback" isn't looking so bad now right?
The hell? It feels like it’s in slow motion. I guess that’s what Melee players felt like when they saw Brawl gameplay.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Still doesn't make any sense to me that minorities even need to be excused to have any kind of portrayal of media as I already stated. Unless it breaks some kind of consistency of that character. But that could be the case with any contradictory trait. It still sounds to me like most people complaining about the reveal are just salty that 76 is gay, as the reveal didn't contradict anything about his current character. Wasn't even much of a big reveal in the first place.

Also those portrayals were perfectly avoidable as they are now(and yes, plenty still happen to this day), don't excuse the culture due to the time period. Yeah people and the news especially making a big deal out of character being gay may seem silly, but then I think about all of the bull**** people say about sexuality and can see why they celebrate.
It's an Enforced Trope with Blizzard though. When all you get is indifference at best, there's a problem. His sexual orientation isn't offensive so much as they're not making an effort to establish his character beyond what we already understand. From the very beginning, he was seen as nothing more than a satire of 1st-person shooter protagonists (i.e. Call of Duty when all the jokes in its expense started dying out). Him being gay, or straight, or bi doesn't add anything to his character, but it feels like they wanted a response from a certain crowd, so they got a bit of both sides. To Blizzard announcing what gender he's attracted to, I say:
ok.jpg

At this point i'm expecting Winston to be a guy in a fursuit this whole time.
Or a gorilla-shaped animatronic.

KMDP

Smash Legend

I'm sorry, I don't quite get what you mean by the first sentence, could you explain it further?

About the culture thing, have you never heard of the saying "Fair for it's Day"? I don't really want to sound flippant about it, but people had different views back then, (the majority of) people have different views now, they happened; people today shouldn't be punished for holding those views back then (either the people themselves as they were at the time (unless they legitimately committed crimes), or later generational members of their family (I'll never agree with the notion of "Sins of the Father", ever)).

Up to about the 90s, Homosexual characters included in sitcoms were essentially caricatures of real homosexuals; while it's not necessarily a good thing, what is a good thing is normalizing the "idea" of homosexuality among the general populace, resulting in dividends in later generations.

The LGBT community should expect more than just a tacked on "oh yeah, he's gay", and celebrating such practices just perpetuates the lazy writing that it results from. In order for non-straight Sexualities to be considered truly normal, they have to stop being treated as special (read: an easy out for characterization).
It's an Enforced Trope with Blizzard though. When all you get is indifference at best, there's a problem. His sexual orientation isn't offensive so much as they're not making an effort to establish his character beyond what we already understand. From the very beginning, he was seen as nothing more than a satire of 1st-person shooter protagonists (i.e. Call of Duty when all the jokes in its expense started dying out). Him being gay, or straight, or bi doesn't add anything to his character, but it feels like they wanted a response from a certain crowd, so they got a bit of both sides. To Blizzard announcing what gender he's attracted to, I say:
View attachment 186362

Or a gorilla-shaped animatronic.
Thank you for explaining my point, Karnera.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Okay, I got you the top 5.

1. Mother 3 - Game Boy Advance
2. Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - N64
4. Chrono Trigger - SNES
5. Super Mario Odyssey - Switch

I tried. And since this is a Smash forum, that moment alone on stream just reminds me how much they could've done for Smash Ultimate's soundtrack. All the remixes so far are fantastic, but how a great amount of series involved got treated just makes me a bit sad.
>my top 3 is the exact same but in different order

1516085031466.png

1. Majora's Mask
2. OG Xenoblade
3. Mother 3
4. Super Metroid
5. Wario Land 3

D

Deleted member

Spiderverse so good!!! Please watch it, it's easily the best Spider-Man movie there is.
I don't know how they did it but this animation is simply spectacular, it's so pretty and flashy and stylish and it's everything good.
As for the story itself, I'm in love with all these idiots, Miles is such a good protagonist, I want more of him already.

Spider-Noir says: "**** Nazis"
This looks so wrong now.
"Balloon knockback" isn't looking so bad now right?
Balloon knockback feels like such a natural mechanic when you get used to it. It's still disorientating in FFAs but, like, who even plays anything other than 1v1 these days?

Straights™: "I don't care that soldier 76 is gay"
Also Straights™: "Ugh I hate this PANDERING, it's so FORCED, I don't care so I'm gonna write ten paragraphs about how much I DON'T CARE"

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also Straights™: "Ugh I hate this PANDERING, it's so FORCED, I don't care so I'm gonna write ten paragraphs about how much I DON'T CARE"
Sounds like two separate groups of people to me.

It's not like specific groups of people are hive-minds who all think the same way.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He doesn't care about the character's sexuality, but he cares about post-release sudden reveals of a specific quality of a character out of the blue. With how much of a big thing sexuality has been this decade, it's something to care about if you believe they're only using it as bait to remember Overwatch exists.

In the words of videogamedunkey from today, January 10, 2019,

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sounds like two separate groups of people to me.

It's not like specific groups of people are hive-minds who all think the same way.
Mankind: I like red.
Also mankind: I like blue.

Something something society

Bottom Text.

KMDP

Smash Legend
He doesn't care about the character's sexuality, but he cares about post-release sudden reveals of a specific quality of a character out of the blue. With how much of a big thing sexuality has been this decade, it's something to care about if you believe they're only using it as bait to remember Overwatch exists.
Thank you for eloquently summing up the argument, Ari.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wasn't this conversation started like 10 hours ago? :yoshi:
It stopped, and now it started again.

It's the natural course of conversations on Forums like this one.
----
To move away from that subject for a bit, I've attempted to connect my Switch to my router via a USB LAN Adapter (to test it for the future).

Wouldn't you know it, it doesn't work.

Now, I'm not sure if it's the router, the adapter or the Switch itself (it's definitely not the Ethernet cable).

It's probably the adapter. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

D

Deleted member

This whole discussion started because I made a post about it. I couldn't even celebrate the fact without people going "actually, I feel it's forced". I'm simply tired of straight people acting like they know what the LGBT community wants or needs. This page alone proves what I'm saying considering the first thing ya'll think is "it's pandering" and that there needs some sort of "naturally geling up" for minorities to be included.
People just ****ing exist, the confirmation that they exist should not spark a debate over whether or not their inclusion is forced or not. Just let us have this for once, I just want to be able to have gay characters without having to defend them like I'm in some ass-backwards place.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly I wouldn't mind 76 being gay but it feels kind of weird and slapped on when it's just kind of randomly revealed 2 years later. He kind of already had a somewhat established persona for the fans tmk which a major change to can end up making people upset. Though honestly it doesn't even change anything really with what minor amount of story the game has already so considering the controversy happening right now it can be easily seen as trying to earn brownie points with a certain crowd and take eyes away from that controversy, regardless of that being the intention or not.
It feels like a nothing reveal that doesn't actually affect that character in any meaningful way while earning brownie points and distracting people from other things.

Idk. It feels like its not trying to appeal to me but pander to me instead, which feels pretty crappy imo. *shrugs*

This whole discussion started because I made a post about it. I couldn't even celebrate the fact without people going "actually, I feel it's forced". I'm simply tired of straight people acting like they know what the LGBT community wants or needs. This page alone proves what I'm saying considering the first thing ya'll think is "it's pandering" and that there needs some sort of "naturally geling up" for minorities to be included.
People just ****ing exist, the confirmation that they exist should not spark a debate over whether or not their inclusion is forced or not. Just let us have this for once, I just want to be able to have gay characters without having to defend them like I'm in some ***-backwards place.
Im bi and I also feel like it's pandering the way it's being gone about. So the whole "straight people can't possibly understand what this vague group of people want!" nonsense really isn't going to fly here nor is attributing any and all criticism of the decision to "you're straight your opinion doesn't count!" going to get anyone anywhere.

Heck it's not even like the entire LGBT community is going to agree on things like this either. Honestly I find bringing up what our community wants is quite silly as not everyone within the community has the same wants nor will they all agree that the way this was handled is a good way to do it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's an Enforced Trope with Blizzard though. When all you get is indifference at best, there's a problem.
There's no problem, it's just indifference. Especially when it was such a brief look at his ex anyway, just part of some small talk.

His sexual orientation isn't offensive so much as they're not making an effort to establish his character beyond what we already understand.
It was a brief look into his past, his ex. That tells you a bit about his character, he didn't just announce he was gay.

If him not having enough character development is the core problem, then that's the core problem.

From the very beginning, he was seen as nothing more than a satire of 1st-person shooter protagonists (i.e. Call of Duty when all the jokes in its expense started dying out).
Sounds like a huge oversimplification of his character. Especially since he's not like any FPS protags. I mean, yeah, him being a gunman and his gameplay are definitely satire of that I guess, but nothing of his actual character resembles any FPS protags I recall. Granted I'm talking about my familiarity with many FPS protags and not my familiarity with 76.

About the culture thing, have you never heard of the saying "Fair for it's Day"? I don't really want to sound flippant about it, but people had different views back then, (the majority of) people have different views now, they happened; people today shouldn't be punished for holding those views back then (either the people themselves as they were at the time, or later generational members of their family (I'll never agree with the notion of "Sins of the Father", ever)).
I never mentioned punishing people for past views, only not to excuse those past views. Especially since there are indeed people in the past and present that have the same views that they did in the past. Just because a view in the past was popular doesn't mean it was good, just because a view now is popular doesn't mean it's good. Don't excuse the past just because it's the past, it needs to be evaluated rather than brushed off.

Up to about the 90s, Homosexual characters included in sitcoms were essentially caricatures of real homosexuals; while it's not necessarily a good thing, what is a good thing is normalizing the "idea" of homosexuality among the general populace, resulting in dividends in later generations.
The normalization of something really depends on culture. You wouldn't need to go through the process of those caricatures if you didn't have a culture that demonized homosexuality in the first place.

The LGBT community should expect more than just a tacked on "oh yeah, he's gay", and celebrating such practices just perpetuates the lazy writing that it results from.
Firstly the idea of the "LGBT community" is such a silly concept really. Especially since we can be divided as much as we are united. I sure as heck wasn't celebrating 76 coming out, I'm not familiar with the character. Really it's more down t

In order for non-straight Sexualities to be considered truly normal, they have to stop being treated as special (read: an easy out for characterization).
It's ironic because them being treated as normal is what's considered special. You don't achieve normalization by "being normal" when people and the law itself don't see your sexuality as something of normality.

Honestly, when people say "the gays should just act normal and people would accept them", it's just another form of saying go hide in the closet.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People just ****ing exist, the confirmation that they exist should not spark a debate over whether or not their inclusion is forced or not. Just let us have this for once, I just want to be able to have gay characters without having to defend them like I'm in some ***-backwards place.
We never said him being gay was wrong, what we're saying is

Honestly I wouldn't mind 76 being gay but it feels kind of weird and slapped on when it's just kind of randomly revealed 2 years later.
Do you think we care if the character is gay or not, or do we think they're pandering to your specific interests as marketing bait in an inhumane sort of way?

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Doesn't really make any sense to me. What qualifies Tracer to be gay? Is it because she "looks gay" or "acts gay"? SMH.

I mean, I get what you're saying when it's pushed to sell a character to a certain audience. But that alone doesn't make it implausible that they're into the same sex. I find it hypocritical that usually when people complain about gay being a defining characteristic, those seem people want a justification for the character being gay.

I have a similar problem when people want no gay character to ever, ever have anything to do with acting "stereotypical gay". For instance, just because Tracer fits into more of those perceptions some people have doesn't make her a bad portrayal.
It really comes to how it was executed in my opinion, not really on how Tracer looks on my end.

ou wouldn't say it'd be forced if he had a female lover, would you? There's many straight characters who have lovers introduced in that fashion, where we only see a glimpse of them. Doesn't really make sense to me that somehow makes his sexuality or relationship forced, especially when from what I understand of the characters it makes sense for them to in the status they're in. 76 is old and torn and Tracer is pretty young and vibrant.

Hence why Shisho probably assumed you do have some sort of problem with him being gay regardless of whether or not you admit it.
Actually, I will think it is a bit forced as well, but compared to having a same sex lover, I think it will be more of cliche, I know it sounds weird but again bro, not sure how many times I have to say this, this is just how I felt on this. You can definitely agree to disagree rather than keep assuming others having problem with LGBT.

That characterization of 76 is correct, hence why he had a former lover, not a current one. And why Tracer does have a current lover.

It's not even like a characterization you never see, a hero getting split up from there lover due to their own duty is pretty cliche actually. Being upset about that is fine, but the way you state it makes it seem like you do have a problem with his ex being a man in particular hence why I'm even arguing about this.
And let's assume if there is a problem, I don't see it like something that is a big of a deal here in my opinion. I have to say this again, not problem with Soldier 76's side expect how it was being executed, just you said it was not only cliche, but also a it forced in my opinion.
I appreciate Alucard trying to explain the issue properly but honestly, I'm tired of "this LGBT character being LGBT is forced". None of you would be saying that if he was straight and don't pretend like you would. Characters don't need to be written as "gay" or have fifteen layers of "foreshadowing" to them being gay so please stop with this blatant homophobia.
Because to me, it was when compared to Tracer's? And if he's straight, it's normal that nobody would say that... just felt more cliche than it is though.
If your tired of it then feel free to disagree, but stop labeling others having a "homophobia" please.

All in all, hey @Shishœ @Prince Alucard , when it comes to LGBT in general I'm in the same boat as you guys and I get what are you guys trying to say. But if I have to be honest here, after reading more and more of your replies to NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy . No offense but now I feel this is just opinion shoving at this point...
Holy ****, Direct for today actually is dead lmao

Yes, gonna go and pre-order this.

Fiora was already spoiled in Smash 4, to be fair.

But yeah, even without trophy descriptions, Sakurai finds a way to spoil games.

Never doubt the man. :p
That's why I sometimes dislike Sakurai lol.
Irrelevant to the conversation at hand,
I'm not a huge shipper because if I do end up thinking of a connection between characters I'd like to think of more than "they're friends" or "because I want to".

People shipping Junkrat and Roadhog make me not want to talk to them for the duration of that conversation typically...
And people shipping things that wouldn't align with their established personalities/alignments etc.
For instance, Torb has a wife and SEVERAL children.
I don't think he's much for adultery so...

Not that that ever really matters and it's all just in good fun, but I mean... I've had people "agressively ship" things at me before lmao
like usually it's "okay man you do you" but if you get in my grill about it i'm gonna ignore ya
Exactly, and be real here, some ships makes sense whereas some ships are a bit weird to say the least. But still... don't really care much about shipping... unless it's anime lol.
Here's the thing. I would've never heard of this if it hadn't been for people making a big deal out of him being gay. So, yeah, in that way I guess I am focusing on his sexuality. And in that, I am sorry. I don't intend to sound homophobic in any way because I've been through some **** that has taught me not to be. 76 as a character never struck me as romantically involved and my first post probably doesn't help my point but I in no way meant to sound homophobic. Apologies.
Not sure if it's okay to even reply posts like this here at this point... even you are not homophobic, chances are you will still get label as that here... not taking shots to any specific people here. And going of topic, this tend to happen here not just about LGBT but also like any topics in general when it comes debatable. I know I may sound like a whiner here but labeling people names is last thing you should do.
Don't get too stressed about it. Shisho's quite a bit brash, he's pretty mean to me TBH.

I don't mean to express my idea to expose people as homophobes.(Not that I wouldn't do that.) But rather to say that people often fall into the trap of saying that a character needs be handle in a specific way, otherwise they're forced or unnecessary. Despite that straight characters also have, well, any kind of characterization you can think of and no one thinks that them being straight is unnecessary. In a relationship? Yeah, there's lots of unnecessary relationships, a lot of the times the male and female lead are just in a relationship just because.

But oftentimes I hear from people that well, gay characters need to be treated differently because people are uncomfortable with them. Which goes full circle really.

The thing is that not much is even known about 76's former relationship to even really say much about it. A lot of the controversy is just over his sexuality alone which is pretty ridiculous.
It is all cool man, and sorry Prince Alucard I aware you will definitely have problems with my opinion, but I still have to stick with my original claim. In the end I think it is better to just drop this discussion... or just go to Discord rather than here.

TFW you try to read someone else's post but their font color blends in with the background of the site.

No comment on the context of the post. :V
Since we are on Smashboards, you should use this pic:
It's been on my wishlist since I got my Switch in 2017 but other new games and owning the Wii U version made it a low priority.

Right now I'm more excited for Crash Tag Team Racing Nitro Fueled than MK8D.
I might get Crash Tag Team Racing Nitro Fueled, I have played it on my old PS1 long time ago, but... never really liked it unfortunately. Perhaps that was just me being too young, hopefully the remake is better.

D

Deleted member

We never said him being gay was wrong, what we're saying is

Do you think we care if the character is gay or not, or do we think they're pandering to your specific interests as marketing bait in an inhumane sort of way?
I'm simply tired of straight people acting like they know what the LGBT community wants or needs.
Please shut the **** up

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't necessarily think Shish was being rude. I'd be about used to that considering how long we've been on the boards together. It's that it seemed like my point of him being in a relationship at all being weird wasn't really getting across. It's fine though. I'm not as into Overwatch as I used to be and just decided to jump in on a conversation with my two cents. Did it go a little farther and differently than I intended? Yeah, but that's fine. I just don't want people to have a view of me in here as being homophobic when that really was the last thing I was trying to get across.
Be honest here, Shish is, and obviously not fond on that but hey it is what it is. In any forum site, people can easily act wild here, because there's just text.
Spiderverse so good!!! Please watch it, it's easily the best Spider-Man movie there is.
I don't know how they did it but this animation is simply spectacular, it's so pretty and flashy and stylish and it's everything good.
As for the story itself, I'm in love with all these idiots, Miles is such a good protagonist, I want more of him already.

Spider-Noir says: "**** Nazis"
Spider-Noir? Yeah my personal fav when it comes to different Spiderman, but Peni Parker SP//DR is even...
No, scratch that, Spider Ham is the best, period.
I like one of his dialogue too when it ask an enemy: "You don't like cartoons?"
Wow, keep being wild there buddy lol.
I still stick with my opinion it was forced, unless we get more info and then I will change that.
And some users are bothered by long essays (Even though it is a norm when it comes to forum sites), I stop doing that. And there's really not much I can if I don't really care lol.

Because it's somebody's OPINION? And that was never what I even stated, I dont think you even know what the LGBT community wants or needs either to be honest. And again, I already clarify my opinions a lot. No more stuff to say here.
Would you like me to word it differently to suit your tastes? Because I can. :upsidedown: No need to be upset, this argument shouldn't be heated.
Indeed, the discussion can go cool and interesting if people can be cool to each other, if you know what I mean.
The ARMS soundtrack is so good!
Reminded me of going back to Youtube and check them out, thanks!

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
im sorry what

i need some backstory lore here
The first boss of Persona 5 was
A gym teacher that abused and assumably sexual assulted a student who in turn tried to kill herself. In his palace he has a version of the girl Ann, 16-17, wearing a bikini
TLDR: The first boss Kamoshida is a creep

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The first boss of Persona 5 was
A gem teacher that abused and assumably sexual asulter a student who in turn tried to kill herself. In his palace he has a version of the girl Ann, 16-17, wearing a bikini
TLDR: The first boss Kamoshida is a creep
I never knew Drake was a boss in Persona 5. Very daring of Atlus.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I'm playing Smash Ultimate today and my Switch goes frigging balistic in that it made this huge "siren-like" sound similar to what you would hear in a fire alarm or something.

I mean it malfunctioned when I tried to boot it several times but then all of a sudden it goes completely haywire and it makes that loud ass sound. I also tried looking this up but I couldn't find anyone who had this problem before.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wasn't this conversation started like 10 hours ago? :yoshi:
It was. But for some reason, nobody seems to know that nobody is criticising a character for being gay. But when people are criticising how it was handled, some people seem to think that it also includes criticising that the character is gay, which nobody is doing.

I already mentioned how the way it was revealed in the book was already good on it's own. It was casual. It didn't come out as forced in the book. They were talking about the past, and eventually, it came to their past relationships and Soldier's relationship just turned out to be a guy, but they never emphasised the fact that he dated a guy, they emphasized that Soldier did want to have a family, but it didn't turn out as wanted, and despite still having feelings, Soldier is willing to move on due to his former love being happy with their life. You could replace the former love with anybody, whether they'd be a boy or girl and the sentence and emphasis of Soldier wanting a family back then would still be the same.

So there was nothing wrong with the reveal. There's no problem with the reveal. Soldier being gay is perfectly okay. What the big deal people are pointing out is how despite this casual reveal, the developers are going, "HEY! LOOK AT THIS CHARACTER! HE IS GAY!" Like, why the big deal after the book was like, "Okay, so yeah. he's gay. Moving on."? You did his reveal great, but why make it a big deal after you showed it like it wasn't a big deal?

Like, as a person with autism, what if a character was revealed with autism(I already know Symmetra has autism) and the developers were like, "HEY LOOK AT THIS CHARACTER! THEY ARE AUTISTIC!"? And they kept emphasising that part of them, despite the fact that there is more to the character than just being autistic? Like I may be glad that the character is representing us nicely and not as a pure stereotype, but what about the other good things about the character? There's more to them than just the autism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom