• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Just give him Marth's Melee grab.

Did you do the Aura yourself btw?
No, I got it from a YT video of a dude who put the aura animations for free use.
I put a cleaned up version of a screenshot of the aura in a layer behind the character, I adjust it to the shape of the character and then put cropped parts of the aura in layers over the character and make said layers semi-transparent to give the effect of energy emanating from the character, then I put the sparkles as a finishing touch.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Frankly, I was expecting Detective Pikachu to sound more like a young boy than what sounds like an old geezer.
I feel like the older, gruffer voice works more in his favor.

Contrast with his partner, for one, who will have that young boy voice.

Also a bit of authority and a bit of callback to gruff noir detectives, which he's emulating.

Plus the subverted expectation just tickles me.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
On the port/vs. not port thing, I see people using the fact that it's the shortest time between Smash games we've had (well, sort of. 64 to Melee was a smaller gap if you don't count DLC and only barely if you do) as evidence that it's a port, but people seem to be ignoring that this is the first time Sakurai/Sora went straight from Smash game to Smash game.

Like Brawl to 3DS was 6 years, but work on Smash 3DS didn't start till after Kid Icarus Uprising was completed 2 years earlier. If Sakurai started this right after his breather (which he apparently did?) and the game comes out late this year, it'll have about the same dev time as 3DS/WiiU. That's also a VERY long time for a basic port, though that's not to say that's impossible.

(For the record my guess is it's going to be a Ultra Street Fighter 4 to Smash 4's Street Fighter 4. Enough new and altered content that calling it a port is reeeeaaally stretching the definition of an "enhanced port", but it does carry over most of the assets and engine form the last game and builds on them rather than rebuilding everything from scratch the way Smash games have done in the past. Actually it kind of gets into the linguistic semantics of what even is a "sequel" vs. an "edition" vs an "enhanced port" it's all pretty arbitrary really and has more to do with how Nintendo/Sakurai want to market/present it than what's actually in the game).

[Also hi I'm back if anyone remembers me I'm pretty fickle lol so I'm usually only around when there's an upcoming game and well here we are]

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So guys

you notice

the ominous humming has a tune

it's not the Smash 4 theme

I think it's a new theme.

And that means

it's a new game

to some extent or another.

And they just gave us the theme.

GUYS.
Or maybe it's to set the tone of the new game?

After all we know the Switch has a more adult focus to it (not that it doesn't focus on kids of course but Nintendo has been trying to secure an adult demographic for the console).

The theme to the trailer is also pretty dark. Like it gives this very ominous vibe to it. That something isn't quite right.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel like the older, gruffer voice works more in his favor.

Contrast with his partner, for one, who will have that young boy voice.

Also a bit of authority and a bit of callback to gruff noir detectives, which he's emulating.

Plus the subverted expectation just tickles me.
I guess the old man voice kind of makes Detective Pikachu not feel so friendly towards younger kids.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I love how many users are returning after today's announcement.

Sakurai give us PotD to debate over 24 hours a day.
I was in semi-retired bliss. Putting in appearances every 3 months to let you know I'm alive.

I've made more posts today than I've made in the past few months for sure.

D

Deleted member

So guys

you notice

And that means

it's a new game

GUYS.
If this truly is a new game then I'll be listening to Earth, Wind & Fire's Let's Groove all day.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I love how many users are returning after today's announcement.

Sakurai give us PotD to debate over 24 hours a day.
Remember when there would be 800 users simultaneously viewing a thread waiting for a picture and a caption?

And the race to be the first to upload the picture on Smashboards?

And you couldn't even see the picture half the time because of everyone refreshing on the Smash Bros. site?

D

Deleted member

Nintendo Direct in a nutshell:
One Fan: My favorite part was when Luigi's Mans...
All Other Fans: SMASH FOR SWITCH BOYZZ

I just want to say, we advanced somewhere around twenty or so pages. Geez, the hype was real.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Anyways, I have to sleep right now. The Smash announcement was basically a 5-hour energy drink for me. While it got me motivated to come back here, I also did a speculation roster today:

This is only temporary for now. But feel free to quote me with thoughts, I will be reading them when I wake up.

(Continue to quote me on changed nicknames if it has not been done too.)
I'm responding as if this is a new game and not a port:

As much as I'd prefer ARMS to not get a character, I think Spring Man is sort of a given because there's not really any other noteworthy new first party franchise they could add. Not to mention Nintendo tried their damndest to make it into the next Splatoon.

Decidueye, I think has a good shot. There's always a Pokemon newcomer, and I think it'll either be Decidueye or Incineroar. Decidueye seems more popular, and we have enough characters with the fire element.

Sakurai has shot down Takamaru at least twice now, and in both instances, it was due to a lack of Western recognizability. Not much has changed since then; I just don't see it happening.

Crash is the latest "He's in a new game, that must mean he's gonna be in Smash" fad pick. I see him faring about as well as the rest of them did (meaning, it's not gonna happen and nobody will be talking about him in a few months).

If Animal Crossing gets a new rep (and it should), it's going to be Isabelle or Tom Nook, no question. I think it'll be Isabelle, though I'd prefer Nook. Not so sure about both of them making it in, though (it'd be justified, though, given that Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises).

Chorus Kids.....while Sakurai's been known to re-use scrapped ideas, and there were clues on SSB4's disk that hinted at a planned Rhythm Heaven character, I'm iffy about it actually happening this time around. Rhythm Heaven sorta peaked at the Wii/DS generation. I can see them being the Smash for Switch equivalent of what Isaac and Krystal were to SSB4......once deemed highly likely, and not so much the next game.

Dunno why Layton and Doom Guy are there. Doom Guy feels like another Crash-style pick.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh by the way, I'm still rooting for the Dragonborn. :4miisword:
Man if you had said this pre-4's launch you would be an absolute laughing stock.

But now? I don't even know anymore. Anything is possible. Speculation is going to be very, VERY interesting this time around.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I just wanted to get this out of the way...

While I'm all for an Arms character coming to Smash...

SCREW SPRING MAN!! MIN MIN 4 THE WIN WIN!!!!

that is all...

D

Deleted member

Inbefore Bayonetta best character again in Smash for Switch.... :troll:

One think that irks me about Pikachu Detective is I wish the characters looked more anime-like. I do not like Pokemon in a realistic looking world.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
fair but we also have inklings which serve both those points. At the very least crash is still an icon and that puts him ahead imo
I don't think the Inklings were put in for "advertising purposes". Splatoon was a major success in spite of debuting on a console that failed.

They'd be in Smash even if a sequel hadn't been released last year.

And for the record, the only real example of a Smash character who was confirmed to be added "for advertising purposes" was Corrin. Not even Roy, who everyone labels as an advertising character, was put into Smash for that reason according to Sakurai.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'd just like to remind everyone that there's apparently a new Yoshi game and apparently it's supposed to release this year.

Apparently. I may have been hallucinating, though.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So my tentative newcomer prediction for the new game...

Inklings
Spring Man
Rex/Pyra
Takamaru
Decidueye
Another FE character
K. Rool
A Metroid character
Crash
Steve

Sound about right? That's not accounting for DLC of course if that were to happen.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I could see the detective hat being used for one of Pikachu's palette options.
See. However I can see Sakurai seeing Detective Pikachu as being something of a change in pace and different for a Pokemon newcomer. The man is always looking for new playstyles for each franchise present and this is probably his best shot at having that.

Not to mention this is the first Pokemon spin-off that is that eccentric and it's the one chosen to lead the charge for Pokemon in the live action film world.

I can see him definitely giving him some serious thought.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd just like to remind everyone that there's apparently a new Yoshi game and apparently it's supposed to release this year.

I've no idea what you're on about, you must've been touching some fuzzies.

D

Deleted member

~Anyone who calls me five year old should learn a lesson~
S
Rex/Pyra
~Sad people forget Mythra~
I honestly said Mythra, Pyra and Rex for quite a while. Why do people sleep on Mythra?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

I honestly said Mythra, Pyra and Rex for quite a while. Why do people sleep on Mythra?
I don't even know that much about X2. Those are usually the characters people bring up for Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of hitboxes

You see this ****? Fix this ****.

Once our friend Pac has initiated his grab, you can go to the movies, drive home, order a pizza, and play a full game of Chess. By the time you're back, not only is the grab still going, you can walk in front of him and it doesn't even connect. It's freakin' awful.
Giving the grab an extended hitbox would be a huge start.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Hey everyone, it's been a while.

I remember the moment it became clear a Smash was being announced I honestly could not believe it.

On one hand, I'm afraid that some of my mains, Lucina and Dr Mario will get dropped if this ends up being a new game, but on the other hand, I'm excited for new possibilities. I want to see where this series goes.

Aside from Smash, I'm really excited for Okami HD, Luigi's Mansion 3DS, and Gooey in Star Allies. Definitely an exciting direct, personally.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Dunno what your talking about...

last year there was just two minutes of nothingness after they revealed Metroid Prime 4...there definitely wasn't any game announcement that followed afterwards...

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Pyra's there first and is in the most promotional material.

Unless they gave Rex both Ice Climber/Olimar/Rosalina two-in-one mechanics on top of a Zelda/Sheik transformation, it's safe to assume they'd go with Pyra over Mythra.

D

Deleted member

Boobs are good pillows.
Mythra's pillows would be very enormous and comfortable, which is perfect or my sleep.
Pyra's there first and is in the most promotional material.

Unless they gave Rex both Ice Climber/Olimar/Rosalina two-in-one mechanics on top of a Zelda/Sheik transformation, it's safe to assume they'd go with Pyra over Mythra.
I am not saying make three of them a transformation together. Make Rex, Pyra and Mythra separate or Mythra and Pyra duos and Rex on his own. Or Mythra on her own and Rex and Pyra are together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
See. However I can see Sakurai seeing Detective Pikachu as being something of a change in pace and different for a Pokemon newcomer. The man is always looking for new playstyles for each franchise present and this is probably his best shot at having that.

Not to mention this is the first Pokemon spin-off that is that eccentric and it's the one chosen to lead the charge for Pokemon in the live action film world.

I can see him definitely giving him some serious thought.
Ironically, the Detective Pikachu footage looks more computer-animated than live-action.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Mythra's pillows would be very enormous and comfortable, which is perfect or my sleep.

I am not saying make three of them a transformation together. Make Rex, Pyra and Mythra separate or Mythra and Pyra duos and Rex on his own. Or Mythra on her own and Rex and Pyra are together.
Three Xenoblade 2 characters would be overkill. I think just two would be overkill.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Have Pythra working like Monado Arts:
Pyra: + Knockback, - Damage
Mythra: - Knockback, + Damage

Bam.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Warning, long post incoming

View attachment 138273

I'm surprised no one is talking about that obvious shadow to the right
You forgot King K. Rool:troll:

@JamesDNaux pointed out on Discord that BotW Link is right-handed here.

View attachment 138275
This is a crime against all Links, he should be left handed.

Ash from gamexplain thinks the silhouette between pikachu and jigglypuff could be Pokémon trainer. Which would be awesome if true.
I'd love for the Pokemon Trainer to comeback, even if its just him with Ivysaur and Squirtle. I'd also be looking forward to the salt from pros, who hate transformation characters.

Considering Smash for Switch doesn't have the same issues, they could return him, though it's hard to say if they'd revamp his Pokemon selection or not.
So you thinking Alola starters? Or maybe they'd use Gen 3 starters, since they used the remakes in Gen3 as the bases for the Pokemon Trainer.

This is the perfect idea for the roster of they're using Smash 4 as a basis

Cut nobody and bring back EVERYONE
View attachment 138293
You forgot Snake.

Nintendo in 2017:
New System
New Mario
New Zelda
New Splatoon
New Xenoblade

This Year:
New Kirby
New Yoshi
New Metroid
New Fire Emblem
New Smash

Guys, I think Nintendo is too good at video games.
Seems Nintendo has finally gotten their **** together, and are now coordernating their studios better now.

Did crashboards happen while I was in class/driving?

Smashboards seems strangely . . .unbroken.
:061:
May @Warchamp7 knew something we didn't, you secretly working for Nintendo now, Warchamp7?

I mean think about it guys, Smashboards is the prefect place to catch Leakers, we best be watching for those Nintendo Ninjas soon.

...Okay so that feeling of "My Smash Picks have a chance again" is starting to creep up on me again.

My little wooden puppet nearly made it in to Brawl AND 4...

HIS TIME IS NOW...
You know I honestly wouldn't minef Geno, if though I'd personally prefer Baby Mario and Luigi with a Partners in Time inspired moveset, to be the first characters from a Mario RPG to make it into Smash.

So guys

you notice

And that means

it's a new game

GUYS.
So new theme tune, cool. I got sick of Smash 4's theme tune, not because its bad, because I watched an entire Treehouse stream one E3, and the Smash 4 theme tune played in the background the entire stream.

Also I just remembered something. The other day I saw an ad for Metal Gear Survive, and I honestly thought it should be af new IP, cause nothing to me had it feel like a Metal Gear game.

Also you guysremember how Konami let Nintendo have a Bomberman game for Switch, maybe Snake can comeback, and bring Bomberman with him.

Also hoping we get Mario and Luigi trophies this time, since we didn't get any in Smash 4.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So my tentative newcomer prediction for the new game...

Inklings
Spring Man
Rex/Pyra
Takamaru
Decidueye
Another FE character
K. Rool
A Metroid character
Crash
Steve

Sound about right? That's not accounting for DLC of course if that were to happen.
Crash I can't even begin to guess (might almost be too SAFE), but I can't see Steve happening by dint of the fact that Microsoft now owns him. Company bigger than Nintendo and partially in competition with them? Even despite relations still being good enough for collabs and a steady stream of ports, that still sounds like an unh-unh.

And Metroid is like Zelda: everyone asks for characters, no one gets them. The fact that you can't even think of a precise character with Ridley not an option says volumes.

On another note, Odd Gen Syndrome. Gen 8 is already announced, no WAY Decidueye doesn't get leapfrogged by something from that.

Aside from those observations I'd be getting into more wobbly logic or I agree with you, but there's my take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom