• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

I came here to shove a giant spectral rhino beetle up someone's *** and sip tea.

And I'm all outta tea.
Got my hands on Hyrule Warriors on Switch not too long ago, and literally did this mission earlier.

Agitha is such a weird fighter.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The best HW chararcter in terms of feel for me is either Toon Link or Volga. Ganondorf is cool too but I get the most feel out of those two. If the HW on Switch is really good and the bugs people talked about are at a real minimum, then I may purchase it between now and December. I just gotta 100% Breath of the Wild first.

Chrono.

I always played as Young Link.

At higher levels and with the right build you're basically playing with a walking nuke.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh people are actually talking about the ROMs/emulation thing, time for me to properly throw my hat in the ring.

Is distributing ROMs online illegal?
Yes, the law as it is now says it is. There isn't really any way around that fact, and I don't think anyone in their right mind is trying to make that argument. However, I feel copyright laws are extremely archaic and do not account for the reality of today's gaming landscape, and they should be changed. I personally cannot change them as one person, but I feel that is what society should be striving for. This is an issue that goes far beyond gaming though, so I will leave it at that.

Is downloading ROMs illegal?
Once again, it is. Regardless of circumstance, even if you own a legal copy of the game and you just want to get a backup to use in an emulator or something and you don't have the tools/motivation to dump your own copy, it is still illegal.

...However, the problem is that it isn't an enforced law. There really is no consequence to you if you decide to download an illegal copy of the game (unless it's one of those games that has "anti-piracy measures", like how Spyro 3 won't let you save your game if it knows it's an illegal copy, but even those are generally easy to work around). And if you ask me, a law that isn't enforced is no law at all. So really, whether or not you pirate content, and under what circumstances you do it, is defined by your own moral compass. Ask anyone the question "when is it OK to pirate something?" and you will receive a different answer from everyone, pretty much. And all of their answers are right, because again, it's not an enforced law. Nobody is going to give you so much as a slap on the wrist if you pirate a game, whether it be Goof Troop on the SNES or Super Smash Bros. Ultimate when it comes out. You can swear a pirate off all you want but at the end of the day, nobody is going to put them behind bars or anything.

Personally, I typically only pirate games I already own, games that are abandoned and have not been re-released and aren't available to buy, or obsolete games. As an example, the original Splatoon is obsolete because everyone has moved on to Splatoon 2 as far as online play is concerned (which is the main mode of both games) so all that's left is the less than 5 hours of single-player content. The game no longer has much value, so while I could probably find a really cheap used copy, that money wouldn't go to Nintendo, and it's objectively not worth buying it new on the eShop, especially with how little storage space the Wii U has - so I pirated it and played through the entire camapaign and got all of the Sunken Scrolls in less than 5 hours. I may also occasionally pirate a game I intend to buy anyway, just because I can't wait to have the money to play it or for it to be in stock, but want to get started actually playing it. So I pirate it, start playing it, buy it new, then continue playing it. I've only done that last one like, 2 or 3 times in my entire life though.

Does piracy hurt the industry?
It can, but not inherently so. It's really no different to something like the concept of DLC or microtransactions. There are times when these concepts have proven to be harmful to consumers and developers alike, but there are times where they have also been really good for the industry. Piracy is the same way. A lot of people look at it in a black and white "a pirated copy = a lost sale = developers not getting what they're due", but that's not what actually happens a lot of the time. Like I mentioned, a lot of people go on to buy the very game they pirate, or future games in that same series. I myself have ended up doing this multiple times. I grew up in a family full of pirates. I was gifted an R4 cartridge for my DS pre-loaded with tons of ROMs, and my brother modded both our Xbox 360 and my Wii (the latter he had to actually argue with me for). While I did buy any game I was actually excited for, like Sonic games, I actually got introduced to a lot of franchises through the piracy running in my family.

A perfect example is Ace Attorney. I tried the iOS demo of the remastered original trilogy and didn't really like how they changed the sprites and stuff. So I decided to pirate all of the games on my R4 cartridge (including Apollo Justice, which didn't have a re-release at the time, and Miles Edgeworth Investigations, which STILL hasn't seen a re-release as far as I know), since I had no way of buying the DS versions. I got addicted to the series, binged all 5 games within the space of a few days (I was also sick and in a really bad place mentally at the time, so I needed something to take my mind off things), fell in love. Then pretty soon after, my brother offered to buy me Dual Destinies for the 3DS on the eShop for my birthday, and so he did. I then bought PLvsAA and Spirit of Justice for myself when they came out. And would have GLADLY done the same with both of the Dai Gyakuten Saiban games...except Capcom still hasn't localised them, so I actually recently pirated those for use in the Citra emulator. I'd absolutely buy them if they did localise them, though, especially if it was on the Switch. I'd by the Limited Edition of it if they released one, because I adore everything I've been able to interpret from those games.

And there have been plenty of statistics that show where a surge of piracy for some games resulted in a surge of sales for the game straight after. I posted last night about this happening to We Happy Few, which just released. So yeah, piracy ain't some big evil thing and can actually be attributed to the creation of loyal customers and success for many games.

Is emulation legal?
YES! It's a common misconception, but emulation is entirely legal. As long as the emulator itself does not use any copyrighted content (this includes anything from iconography to patented source code) or otherwise break the law (like be bundled with malware and steal information), it's entirely legal to develop, distribute, and even SELL an emulator for profit. I just recently purchased a premium license for REDREAM, a fantastic Dreamcast emulator. It's been available for a while now and SEGA hasn't (and can't, even if they want to) done anything about it. Sony once lost a lawsuit against the developers of a PS1 emulator that was PHYSICALLY being sold in stores, back when the PS1 was still new and relevant, because the emulator didn't actually infringe on their copyrights in any way. They tried to argue that it could potentially lower PS1 sales, but they were essentially told that if people buy the emulator over a PS1, it's because it was a more appealing product to that consumer and there is nothing wrong with that, especially since the emulator facilitated the use of legal PS1 game discs.

I posted about Yuzu's (one of two Nintendo Switch emulators in development) progression in the Xenoblade subreddit yesterday and before long, was swamped with negative feedback about how this is "enabling piracy" and "will decrease Switch sales" by a bunch of Nintendo fanboys. When none of these things are true. The emulator isn't at a stage where it can emulate many games to a playable level, let alone the hottest new releases. As far as I know, it can't even run updates and DLCs for games yet. The emulator isn't yet a viable platform to play these games and it will be some time before it is. So no pirate is really gonna use it. And even if it was a viable platform, and people were using it in favour of buying a Switch...that's just tough luck for Nintendo. That's the consumer market for ya. I'd gladly take an emulator that could run Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at 4K 60FPS on my PC, over a Switch, any day of the week. As soon as that day comes, I will migrate all of my Switch data to my PC just as I did with my Wii U, and continue playing the games there. It's literally no different than buying a PS4 to play DOOM as opposed to a Switch.

At the end of the day, I feel the best way to combat piracy and/or emulation is to provide a better service than those avenues. You can take down as many ROM sites as you like, but they're like hydra dragons - you cut one head off, three more take it's place. The music industry and film/TV industry have caught onto this. Sony kind of has with PS Plus and PS Now. And it has reduced piracy immensely for those industries.

Nintendo, on the other hand, refuse to answer even the most simple demands when it comes to their back catalog. They drip feed and overcharge for their retro games. They make you buy the same game multiple times across their family of systems rather than unifying them. They will sell you a limited edition toy that runs some of these games and once all twelve produced are sold, they're gone for good, putting us back at square one. The Wii U natively had ability to run both Wii and Gamecube games, meaning putting those games on the eShop wasn't even a matter of creating an emulator to run them, they just had to pop the games on the eShop with simple executable commands, and they would run. Yet they still dripfed Wii games as if it took them effort to get them on there, and never even bothered with GameCube games despite the overwhelming demand. And they still seem adamantly against doing it for the Switch, even though they've got NVIDIA developing an emulator that runs these games in native 1080p with HD UI elements, on a very similar platform for the Chinese market.

"Oh, but maybe they don't do it because they lost the original files for most of their games!"

Well, even if that were true - not only does it prove EXACTLY why consumers need ROM sites and the like to experience these old games - but Nintendo ain't above simply downloading games from ROM sites themselves and selling them back to us, because they did EXACTLY that with the original Super Mario Bros. on the Wii Virtual Console. I won't get into the technical details (it's an easy subject to Google and get tons of articles and videos on) but it has been 100% proven that the ROM used for the Wii VC version (and I believe all future VC versions) of Super Mario Bros. was downloaded from a ROM site, as it is identical to ones found on ROM sites, which were created to work on an NES emulator for PC (the raw files of a cartridge don't always work with an emulator, they have to be converted into a format the emulator can work with). So not only does this prove Nintendo can't be trusted to properly preserve their own copies of one of the most monumental and best-selling games in video game history that still has it's imagery plastered over official merchandise to this day, but it means there is absolutely no reason for them to dripfeed these VC releases because even if they don't have original copies lying around, they're not above just pirating it themselves and selling it back to us!

And even forgetting that, reverse-engineering, while it takes more effort, is always an option. Square Enix did this with Kingdom Hearts Final Mix for the Kingdom Hearts HD collections - they didn't have the original files for that specific game, so they bought a retail copy off eBay or something to reverse engineer it.

To finally end off this post that I may as well copy-paste for a video script at this point, I will not even say anything, but simply drop a handful of powerful images:

:ultmarth::ultroy::ultlucas:

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Out of the characters I've played thus far on the Switch, Link, Impa, and Sheik were all pretty fun. I'm mainly sticking to the recommended character choices pre-mission for now.

Back on the Wii U though, Midna, Ganondorf, and Volga were all pretty fun, with Midna being my favorite.

The best HW chararcter in terms of feel for me is either Toon Link or Volga. Ganondorf is cool too but I get the most feel out of those two. If the HW on Switch is really good and the bugs people talked about are at a real minimum, then I may purchase it between now and December. I just gotta 100% Breath of the Wild first.
Thus far, I haven't experienced any of the bugs many have spoken of. Game runs pretty smoothly.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What is the Social's current consensus on the new Gangplank Galleon?

Personally I love the instrumentals I don't like the rap. I know the lyrics and it's kinda cool but why is it so quiet?

Chrono.

Personally I love the instrumentals I don't like the rap. I know the lyrics and it's kinda cool but why is it so quiet?
I wish the vocals were louder but this is a jam otherwise.

Still like the F-Zero Medley more, was surprised to see most being kinda down on it.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Easily most favorite of the released songs by a long shot and love everything about it. It definitely puts the Brawl version to shame.

Kinda wish the lyrics were understandable though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Easily most favorite of the released songs by a long shot and love everything about it. It definitely puts the Brawl version to shame.

Kinda wish the lyrics were understandable though.
Someone has already translated it. It's Engrish rap, but I don't recall the lyrics themselves.

D

Deleted member

I always played as Young Link.

At higher levels and with the right build you're basically playing with a walking nuke.
The difference between Melee Link and Melee Young Link players is that Young Link players are more skilled, but there are more Link players.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
whelp we chose to fight these ******** so fight we shall, i geared on up our close liners, melee fighters plus coricus and chose to hole on up in a abandoned hut west of he siege, shishoe is moving way to slow to even participate in the battle so he'll just chill at home, he nearly died from the plauge so he can't move or fire a gun so he'll just have to walk slowly towards
View attachment 157800
and here we are, minutes before chase down these ******** for attempting to blow up our home, fam just in case what happens, it'll be good, the far back gunners of androobie, red, and shiny chug out part of the wall so they can hide inside to fire, while uni, praline, and cori get closer to deal more damage using the chunks up there and for woomy just the own sandbags, while the brawlers stay inside to ambush and i'm sneaking down south to play sniper support
View attachment 157801
and first fires shot, already we striked, i crippled the snieper in one shot blowing off his right arm, effectively removing their sniper, while the rest of the gang just kill that poor sap whos still trying to remove that tree while cori gets closer to deal damage, got a good jump but a few of them did get oraganized to retaliate
View attachment 157802
here you can see them starting to fire back and we just exhange in gun fire, the animals are taking some stray bullets for us and lily got slightly tore up, but mostly cori is playing tank useing their own sandbag against them and trying to absorb as many bullets as possible, you can see shishoe is starting to show up and in the middle were rippling more of them

from this point though after they finally got organzed is when things started to turn hairy, we put a few more down to the ground but they started to collaborate their fire more onto us, the guys in the back row only took stray bullets but cori took a lot of concentrated fire, she played tank badly there and delievering retribution back with her shot gun being a killer and taking several bullets
View attachment 157809
and then finally we dropped enough of them to where they started fleeing, took, but we sure as hell didn't let the leave scott free and continue fire while the brawlers took to the lines
View attachment 157805
turns out that was a bad idea and the sudden change of chase shooting actually caused some bad friendly fire, yellow took some bullets and red actually forced coricus to go down in shock! damn dude... so we weren't the most effective killing the survivors
View attachment 157807
three got away of the 9, one compeltely unscathed, though would be surprised if gil lives with a freaking shotgun shell in his neck

oh well the ending got sloppy, but in turn we broke the siege and chased the ******** out, good day, will check injury report in a bit.
Oh, we actually won, guess I underestimated our abilities. :V

whelp....****ty news guys
View attachment 157853
i got the dreaded "error loading map" bug
something bungled on up in the code of the game

i can still edit the game file, but....i can't play the game file because something is going wrong on line 148156 position 24 in the code

sooooo...until i fix that error, games pretty much on the crapper :V

and i'm not fully sure how to edit a RWS file particularly well enough to find a line 100,000 into it .-. I've been useing bloody notepad

if anyone got any idea to help me find that specific line in an RWS file katt would appreciate it :/
Oh well. RIP everyone.

I said, RIP EVERYONE.

Don't worry, I'm the polar opposite when it comes to approaching combat in RPGs so you're not alone LOL.

On the other hand if we can't reel them in do I get anything for just standing back well outside combat range and playing Wigglytuff's Theme on the bagpipes while they make poor decisions?
Well, that's certainly a tune. I'm totally gonna get you to record that on bagpipes now. jk

I see a lot of Grimas tonight.

Makes me happy.

Panic Ploy and Chrom are myths, there is only Grima's Truth.

I stand by the theory that mini-me shooting Cori caused a logic error. Seriously mini-me, what the actual hell.

Regardless, sucks, but you know how colony games like this go. They all gotta end sometime. Least ours ended on a high note.

I'm up for the next one if you're looking to start a new colony.

Phew. Glad I can count on you.

Nominating Cori for party face.

Don't see why not. :040:

Early in my cleric's campaign our rogue turned a tense but reasonable negotiation with some lizardfolk into an all-out combat with an ill-advised True Strike.

My cleric literally pulled out a book and sat down in the first round. Every action thereafter was "turn the page." I'd been showing sympathy and reason to the lizardfolk, so they refused to attack me. The rogue, not so much.

Eventually combat stopped; rogue lived, the most and least dickish of the lizardfolk, respectively, did not. We managed to broker peace with the rest of the tribe. They're actually decently important NPCs now.

Rogue has also learned the error of his ways - you would be amazed how fast you can come to a party understanding when the healbot sits one out.
Cori's the Bard, Bards are supposed to be the face by default. Also, this mean you've played Shadowrun red?

Also, good times, I remember the one time the session where my group didn't have our Sorceress, we spent so many times smashing and shooting the boss, it took forever without our Black Mage dropping the hit points down. Also didn't help my dice decided my ranger was going to have bad aim that day. :V

Same as yours.

Uni's basically immortal.

Cool, cool.

I'll keep reading, keep me apprised.

Eh. Don't think you'll be that bad.

Shish on the other hand...
Well, as long as he doesn't do something that forces me to have to have his God revoke his powers, he should be fine.

man who created fire emblem and then left nintendo and tried to make sony a fire emblem game only to get sued by nintendo and lsoe...tWICE
is proud to announce he hasnt learned his lesson and is making a new game thats just basically fire emblem

But, all he had to do was change the name, nothing wrong for him to make a game in the same genre.

Also, I'm ready for Thracia levels of BS once again. Bring it on Kaga.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Just saw Incredibles 2...
It was pretty good. The villain twist was a little obvious, but still well-executed. It was a solid.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
These past few days have been some of the wildest i've ever experienced. And also some of the most terrifying.

Chrono.

Dokkan Battle problems

>Pull the Physical type SSR Cooler god lead
>Turns out I can make a good team that synergizes well with him
>Go to boss event to test team out
>Realize your team will be gimped no matter what because Extreme Physical is a dead team and you're unable to find other Coolers for your Guest lead

RIP

The difference between Melee Link and Melee Young Link players is that Young Link players are more skilled, but there are more Link players.
We're talking about Hyrule Warriors dude.

D

Deleted member

What do you call a cowboy who fell off his horse?

Edit: No answers for you. :V

Last edited by a moderator:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I think I figured out the perfect way to reveal geno.

The trailer opens up and we see it’s the smash 64 opening!?
But what does it mean!?

It plays out and then at the end we see another doll come to life, it’s geno!

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Good lord.

Just reviewed my Armor Emblem potential and while I was chasing Grima off this banner I accidentally put together a solid team.

I've now got a +Atk/-Res Hardin+3 and a +Atk/-Spd Effie+2 to pile in with Zelgius+1 and Grima+5.

They're no Dragon Emblem but if I get some builds for these guys together I may just have a decent little side-project.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
A little late but my favorite characters to play as in Hyrule Warriors were Sheik, Impa, Ganondorf, and Volga.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I got it from a stupid joke book I was told about.
Heh, reminds me of my old joke book.

How do you know when you have four elephants in your refrigerator?
The lights are on and there's a Volkswagen parked outside.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Good lord.

Just reviewed my Armor Emblem potential and while I was chasing Grima off this banner I accidentally put together a solid team.

I've now got a +Atk/-Res Hardin+3 and a +Atk/-Spd Effie+2 to pile in with Zelgius+1 and Grima+5.

They're no Dragon Emblem but if I get some builds for these guys together I may just have a decent little side-project.
Finally, you're becoming cultured :V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom