• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I really want to play Odyssey but my brain forces me to play Smash Bros. Wii U.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It has a very unique take on power-ups by allowing you to literally become your enemies.
Track down a copy of Space Station Silicon Valley. It's old, it's janky, it's not very polished, but the ideas in that game make it worth playing. There's a game that takes the possess-your-enemies-to-steal-their-powers gimmick and full embraces it. The creativity in the puzzles the game asks you to do with these stolen powers, often asking you to manage and switch between multiple ones at a time, are exactly the kinds of things I feel Odyssey lacks.

Odyssey has the budget, the polish, the Nintendo level of care put in to it making sure everything works as intended, but it never does enough with its core conceit. It constantly feels like it's just on the cusp of greatness, too unsure of its own ideas to take a gamble and fully utilize them.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Track down a copy of Space Station Silicon Valley. It's old, it's janky, it's not very polished, but the ideas in that game make it worth playing. There's a game that takes the possess-your-enemies-to-steal-their-powers gimmick and full embraces it. The creativity in the puzzles the game asks you to do with these stolen powers, often asking you to manage and switch between multiple ones at a time, are exactly the kinds of things I feel Odyssey lacks.

Odyssey has the budget, the polish, the Nintendo level of care put in to it making sure everything works as intended, but it never does enough with its core conceit. It constantly feels like it's just on the cusp of greatness, too unsure of its own ideas to take a gamble and fully utilize them.
With how well Odyssey sold, maybe the next game (or heck, some DLC) could fully go forward with the idea? Some kind of Odyssey 2, basically.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I don't much care for Odyssey, either, frankly.

Mario himself controls better than he ever has. Movement is tight, Cappy jumps add an extra layer that's not as brainless as Sushine's hovering or even Galaxy's twirl. The camera is the most polished, least frustrating 3D camera I've ever seen. The framework is in place for an amazing experience.

It's just too bad the game never gives you anything to do with it.

It's not a critique of the ease of the game, though it is the easiest 3D Mario yet, I have no problem with a game being easy, particularly when it appeals to kids. I just wish the game ever asked you to utilize the controls it gives you. I don't think there's a single point in the game where bouncing off Cappy is actually required. I can't remember ever needing to long jump or triple jump. The only time you need to wall jump they stick you in tiny gap between two walls that makes it trivial to do so.

I'm controlling the best Mario there's ever been and instead of asking me to use these awesome mechanics, the game instead just asks me to carry giant seeds all the way across the map. Or it constantly asks you to take control of whatever new gimmick badguy the level has, none of which have movepools half as deep or interesting as Mario's himself.

The end result is a frustrating lack of potential.
this too!!!! don't even get me s t a r t e d

the controls are really good, but what each world actually has you do, isn't very fun or fitting for the controls.

I will admit that the game looks gorgeous, and it feels even better. It's reaaaaaaal sleek. But there just isn't many worthwhile things to do in Odyssey. Almost nothing takes advantage of the wide moveset Mario has. Each time I do decide to give it a try, I'm outstanded at the world, I'm floored by the music, but I soon find that aside from running around, there isn't much else to do, because that's all that's required. There's so many actions even though you only need to do three; jump, run, and throw Cappy. Why even have an action guide if we only will ever need three of them?

You mentioned the seeds, and that's a really good point; I just want to get out and explore, but I have to carry these seeds to some pots and wait half an hour to get my Moon. And once again, that only requires jumping, and running. Moons like these only further exacerbate the problem.

When will I need to throw Cappy, and keep him paused there? When will I need to jump on Cappy? Throw him up or down, instead of straight ahead? Rolling and sideflipping are underutilized. Why put so much work into the actions, the mechanics, and the abilities of Mario if you won't ever use half of them?

It's like having sprinkles without the ice cream. I don't want that! :'^(

///////rant

D

Deleted member

this too!!!! don't even get me s t a r t e d

the controls are really good, but what each world actually has you do, isn't very fun or fitting for the controls.

I will admit that the game looks gorgeous, and it feels even better. It's reaaaaaaal sleek. But there just isn't many worthwhile things to do in Odyssey. Almost nothing takes advantage of the wide moveset Mario has. Each time I do decide to give it a try, I'm outstanded at the world, I'm floored by the music, but I soon find that aside from running around, there isn't much else to do, because that's all that's required. There's so many actions even though you only need to do three; jump, run, and throw Cappy. Why even have an action guide if we only will ever need three of them?

You mentioned the seeds, and that's a really good point; I just want to get out and explore, but I have to carry these seeds to some pots and wait half an hour to get my Moon. And once again, that only requires jumping, and running. Moons like these only further exacerbate the problem.

When will I need to throw Cappy, and keep him paused there? When will I need to jump on Cappy? Throw him up or down, instead of straight ahead? Rolling and sideflipping are underutilized. Why put so much work into the actions, the mechanics, and the abilities of Mario if you won't ever use half of them?

It's like having sprinkles without the ice cream. I don't want that! :'^(

///////rant
Stop whining and get those moons already.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Sooooo, compared to FLUDDless Mario in Sunshine, how smooth the Oddysey Mario feels? :V

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This makes me wonder if we'll see more Odyssey DLC with more stages to really give you more to do that requires those new techniques. Challenge levels and all.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
With how well Odyssey sold, maybe the next game (or heck, some DLC) could fully go forward with the idea? Some kind of Odyssey 2, basically.
Modern Nintendo desperately needs to learn to iterate again. Every other game company does it. Yes, almost always too much, we don't need eight sequels to every game. But practically every big franchise that isn't Nintendo, the second game released two or three years after the first and was better in every conceivable way. Because they iterated.

Nintendo instead does this once-a-console re-start-from-scratch thing that only hurts their games. Galaxy 2 was way better than Galaxy 1, because they could build on the foundation of the first, but since then they just seem unwilling to do it again.

Modern Nintendo seems to have this pathological need to re-invent the wheel instead of just making what was already good even better.

Imagine Breath of the Wild but with, like, the Z-Targeting system that was born perfected in 1998 and ripped off by other games countless times since. Instead they completely changed the way Z-Targeting has always worked, changed the camera from a polar coordinate setup to a cartesian coordinate setup, and it's just worse in every way. And I feel like the only justification for the change was to be different for the sake of being different.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Stop whining and get those moons already.
His complaints have value though.

As much as I love Odyssey and how it handles most of everything, the usage of its controls is sadly not one of them.

At best, the techniques you have allow you to do shortcuts, but ultimately, most of them aren't necessary to complete the game and at worst, you're punished for even trying to experiment because it gets you killed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is something wrong with me.
I have all of these cool games, but my willingness to try them out is difficult.

Like I am too lazy to try to complete Odyssey. Why?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Though I've yet to beat it, I'm loving Odyssey so far, and while I do think it's one of the best Mario games yet, there are a few issues I take with it, not limited to just completely excusable nitpicks. My biggest one however, is that it's not as much of an open-world game as I expected.

I know there's multiple worlds/levels, so that's one thing, but I thought each world was going to be a lot larger than they turned out to be. It's not just that I'm disappointed that I didn't get what I simply assumed I was gonna get, either. I really do think the game's exploration aspect, while good for what it is, could've been put to better use if more of the worlds were a bit bigger and open than they are. Perhaps some of Mario's controls as well as Cappy's abilities also could've been put to better use with both different level designs and larger, expanded worlds, offering tons of challenges to the player and their skills, both required and optional.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Though I've yet to beat it, I'm loving Odyssey so far, and while I do think it's one of the best Mario games yet, there are a few issues I take with it, not limited to just completely excusable nitpicks. My biggest one however, is that it's not as much of an open-world game as I expected.

I know there's multiple worlds/levels, so that's one thing, but I thought each world was going to be a lot larger than they turned out to be. It's not just that I'm disappointed that I didn't get what I simply assumed I was gonna get, either. I really do think feel the game's exploration aspect, while good for what it is, could've been put to better use if more of the worlds were a bit bigger and open than they are. Perhaps some of Mario's controls as well as Cappy's abilities also could've been put to better use with both different level designs and larger, expanded worlds, offering tons of challenges to the player and their skills, both required and optional.
That's honestly another nitpick of mine.

It brands itself as an open-world game where you have the freedom to do things, but most moons, even the ones outside of the bonus rooms, end up being incredibly linear in nature, forcing you to follow a set path.

It honestly feels closer to Galaxy 1 than it does to Mario 64. Not that it's a bad thing since the Galaxy games are great too, just... feels like false advertising.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When I fight Karla, I always beat her.

Like she has great stats but why is she not a threat to my team and super easy to defeat?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That's honestly another nitpick of mine.

It brands itself as an open-world game where you have the freedom to do things, but most moons, even the ones outside of the bonus rooms, end up being incredibly linear in nature, forcing you to follow a set path.

It honestly feels closer to Galaxy 1 than it does to Mario 64.
I want to say Mario 64 feels kind of linear, too, but that's probably more due to the fact that 64's levels, while not tiny, are certainly way smaller than most of those from every 3D Mario platformer that succeeded it. 64 allowed you to explore more regardless of having missions, but it still feels rather limited, a consequence of how small most of the game's levels really are.

I think the Odssey would've been better off it had larger, more open worlds, like Breath of the Wild. The actual level design pertaining more to the Mario-style to still properly suit the gameplay, of course.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
idk, I'm thinking about it, and maybe that's part of the reason why I like YL way more?

The abilities Yooka and Laylee have are limitless, but you learn them as you go along, giving each move a purpose. You learn Lizard Lash, a move that lets your tongue act as a hookshot, in the third world and in that world and after you'll use it frequently, making Lizard Lash actually feel like a part of Yooka's moveset rather than something that's just there (cough: throwing Cappy and jumping on him). Laylee's Sonar Shot, a single sonic blast, is learned during the first world, and that world and every other world incorporates this ability as it is required for many of the puzzles, Pagies, and Quills.

The pacing of the abilities also works quite well in the game's favor, too. Once again, Sonar Shot; first world, used on enemies, this will stun them. In the third world, although you learn Laylee's Sonar 'Splosion, which is Sonar Shot but, an explosion :laugh:, its higher stamina cost still allows Sonar Shot to be useful as Sonar Shot will be infinitely more practical on one-on-one situations, which are a majority of the battles. On the other hand, in later worlds, Sonar 'Splosion will still be relevant in crowds of enemies and the puzzles.

Even the simple enhancement moves you learn (such as Glide after World 1 or Lizard Leap during World 2) are present throughout the rest of the game, as the extended flight time or higher jumps is crucial to some of the puzzles in later worlds.

Yooka Laylee makes use of the team's extended moveset and gives each and every move a purpose, both in and out of the world you learn it. This purpose makes you feel as though you have achieved something (satisfaction!!!), strengthened your player character, and overall made progress in the game.

Odyssey? Not so much :'///

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
OH HELL YUS! The physical rewards for the Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter are now being shipped! Can't wait to get my big load of Shantae goodies!

Hard to believe that Kickstarter started 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
>An IS dev said the SP Glitch is free to use without any backlash.

Ayyy lets go.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nintendo instead does this once-a-console re-start-from-scratch thing that only hurts their games. Galaxy 2 was way better than Galaxy 1, because they could build on the foundation of the first, but since then they just seem unwilling to do it again.

Modern Nintendo seems to have this pathological need to re-invent the wheel instead of just making what was already good even better.
Galaxy 2 was only 8 years ago chill out dude

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've played and beaten Yooka-Laylee, played 53 minutes of A Hat In Time, and played a few minutes of Odyssey a few times on other people's Switch consoles.

A Hat In Time was the best of the 3D collectathon games of 2017.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Galaxy 2 is almost 10 years old.
Not too long ago I saw someone on Twitter say "man, I need to get Rayman Legends, I've been getting this nostalgia for Rayman because I played a lot of Rayman Origins when I was a kid".

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
*gets fishtank*

*looks beautiful*

*looks amazing*

*spends a few hours fantasizing about it*

*notices crack*

*notices a metric ton of cracks*

"If you look closely, you can see the exact moment where her heart broke clean in half."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not too long ago I saw someone on Twitter say "man, I need to get Rayman Legends, I've been getting this nostalgia for Rayman because I played a lot of Rayman Origins when I was a kid".

I mean, if the guy was 18 when Legends came out, he played Origins when he was 11.

EDIT: Worded that terribly. Legends only came out 2 years after Origins. If he was 18 now, he would've played it when he was 11.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You worry about how old things are when you should worry about how old things are getting now.
BotW already aged a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom