• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think I've eaten a lot more today than I have in many months.

Not like I mind much since I tend to indulge more on special occasions like Independence Day, but still. At least I had a blend of healthy and not so healthy foods.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon cause that cartoon has got the boom anime babes that make me think the wrong thing.

You expected quality content? Too bad! It was me, ****post!

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I rarely look at this site on desktop and when I do it's like wow, all of your signatures suck

Edit: oh god my signature sucks too. why is there an unown sprite and a link to my ancient mario maker levels

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon cause that cartoon has got the boom anime babes that make me think the wrong thing.

You expected quality content? Too bad! It was me, ****post!
These lyrics are creepier when you realize that the sailor scouts are 14-17 through the entirety of the manga/anime.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Legendary Hector Banana is about to end; post your damage report.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've thought about watching Sailor Moon but I'm just not sure.

Only reasons I'm considering it amount to hearing a lot of good things about it, and because it had a fair amount of influences on Star vs. the Forces of Evil.

I rarely look at this site on desktop and when I do it's like wow, all of your signatures suck

Edit: oh god my signature sucks too. why is there an unown sprite and a link to my ancient mario maker levels
My signature is nothing but text right now (because most images I've wanted to trying putting in it just keep breaking). Does it still suck? :p

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
These lyrics are creepier when you realize that the sailor scouts are 14-17 through the entirety of the manga/anime.
Well yes.

That would be why it's the wrong thing.

Legendary Hector Banana is about to end; post your damage report.
Still haven't bested Infernal.

Guess it's time for a last-minute strat lookup.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I don't care if my sig sucks!!! It's full of Yoshis, so it's good enough for me!!!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Please, what plebs
Everyone knows that MY SIGNATURE that i made back in like 2014 and looks horrible and oh my god i really didn't know how shapes work it looks disfigured someone help this poor boy he needs volume and shape IS THE BEST HERE.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I've thought about watching Sailor Moon but I'm just not sure.

Only reasons I'm considering it amount to hearing a lot of good things about it, and because it had a fair amount of influences on Star vs. the Forces of Evil.

My signature is nothing but text right now (because most images I've wanted to trying putting in it just keep breaking). Does it still suck? :p

As someone who got into Star Vs. beacuse it is influenced by SM, I can say you're gonna feel at home watching the adventures of Usagi and co.
The series has aged pretty well, has a nice balance between comedy, romance and drama and has amazing visuals.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Manga is explicitly targeted to specific demographics, and Sailor Moon is shojo...
I thought Sailor Moon was ecchi.

Girls jumping around in short skirts, showing off their legs.

Real talk, the Sailor Moon anime is hilarious. I watched and the first ep since I had nothing better to do and ended up watching the entire series over a few months. I'm also currently collecting the manga.

Honestly feel people who don't watch it because it's a shojo are missing out.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I thought Sailor Moon was ecchi.

Girls jumping around in short skirts, showing off their legs.

Real talk, the Sailor Moon anime is hilarious. I watched and the first ep since I had nothing better to do and ended up watching the entire series over a few months. I'm also currently collecting the manga.

Honestly feel people who don't watch it because it's a shojo are missing out.
Oh I understand that I shouldn't judge shows just because they have the "shojo" label. I'm just saying that because of the way manga and anime is categorized, Sailor Moon is explicitly targeted to young girls

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh I understand that I shouldn't judge shows just because they have the "shojo" label. I'm just saying that because of the way manga and anime is categorized, Sailor Moon is explicitly targeted to young girls
Though anime-wise it seems just the original might be. Crystal seems to be for more teenage girls.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Isn't Crystal supposed to be more faithful to the manga?
I hear that a lot but as someone who's reading the manga with a friend who watches Crystal it doen't seem to be that much more faithful to the manga.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Isn't Crystal supposed to be more faithful to the manga?
That was the idea, but they ruined that completely by forcing a romantic storyline that replaced some comedy/slice-of-life bits in the manga that completely killed the personalities of the Inner Senshi at least during seasons 1-2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The artstyle is so goddam offputting though
Eh. Didn't bother me at all, really.

But yeah, had no idea it was only a slight improvement over the previous dubs.

Brotherhood from what I remember is significantly more faithful in comparison. And I enjoyed both FMA dubs. I don't remember the exact differences, besides animation evolution(Brotherhood looks a lot better in comparison), just that they're very different. It's been years since I've seen both.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Breh, now Imma write a rant about why Crystal 1-2 was a bloody trainwreck, brb.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
DiC Sailor Moon is the best. I need a good home release of that the same way Funi released the original 53 episode Ocean run of DBZ a couple years back.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
DiC Sailor Moon is the best. I need a good home release of that the same way Funi released the original 53 episode Ocean run of DBZ a couple years back.
Thissssssss.

I mean, as someone who watched both Crystal and the DiC dub? I admit I actually overall like Crystal more storyline-wise. However, they're both great in their own right and the dub theme that DiC uses is still amazing. Sure, the words are slightly hard to make out at times, but it still works. I've heard the Japanese theme, and it doesn't get my blood pumping as much. Probably nostalgia talking, heh.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
God this dub talk brings me back to 4Kids

And how Matt Mercer makes a terrible Star Platinum

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
God this dub talk brings me back to 4Kids

And how Matt Mercer makes a terrible Star Platinum
Hoo boy. Though at least their Pokemon dub was overall good, despite a few dumb things(like removing Japanese culture). One Piece had an enjoyable theme song, and the dub voices honestly weren't an issue, but the censorship was beyond dumb. They have knives later on yet still have a stupid-ass random contraption in the first episode? A hammer thingy? Bleh. I was at least used to the dub names, but to be fair, Zorro was still an active franchise, so I get why turning his name to Zolo at the time was done. I don't mind either version of his name, to be perfectly honest. Both work, imo.

Another interesting one is Mew Mew Power. It's so damn cheesy and you can clearly tell is inspired by Sailor Moon in some ways. It has actually really good music, but it was another mediocre dub(at best). I would've liked it more if they were able to finish it. I even saw somebody try to fandub more episodes. It was badddddddly done. Tons of voice scratching and random voice changes that just don't work. We're not talking about Abridged Series stuff, which are generally fun to watch(quality be damned at times).

Then there's Ultimate Muscle. This one I actually enjoyed a lot more. It still felt like it kept a very good show, though I can't remember how faithful it was overall to the Japanese storyline. It also had some pretty good dub names. Like Gazelleman being changed to Dik Dik Van Dik.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah 4Kids censorship was honestly the dumbest stuff. While the gun into a hammer thingy was funny, turning sharp darts into weird plunger things that remind me of Raving Rabbids wasn't very keen. Then there's the whole Shadow Realm stuff that built the concept of death in card games as a lie. Yugi straight up murders people in the YGO manga, he gives no ****s.

I'll say it again with links, I dislike Mercer's Star Platinum. Solely because Viz also had Seitz (the voice of dub Dio) voice him at first, but since he also voices Dio's Stand it'd probably look weird to have the same voices yell at each other. So they flip flopped VAs of Star Platinum until Mercer stuck. Honestly, I think it was a big mistake.

Seitz' Platnium:

Mercer's Platinum:

Seitz' is more fluent in how he pronounces is while Mercer uses it like he has a stuttering problem. Though, the JP Star Platinum is unbeatable, probably because Ora is pretty easy to pronounce constantly if you're fluent in the language.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah 4Kids censorship was honestly the dumbest stuff. While the gun into a hammer thingy was funny, turning sharp darts into weird plunger things that remind me of Raving Rabbids wasn't very keen. Then there's the whole Shadow Realm stuff that built the concept of death in card games as a lie. Yugi straight up murders people in the YGO manga, he gives no ****s.

I'll say it again with links, I dislike Mercer's Star Platinum. Solely because Viz also had Seitz (the voice of dub Dio) voice him at first, but since he also voices Dio's Stand it'd probably look weird to have the same voices yell at each other. So they flip flopped VAs of Star Platinum until Mercer stuck. Honestly, I think it was a big mistake.

Seitz' Platnium:

Mercer's Platinum:

Seitz' is more fluent in how he pronounces is while Mercer uses it like he has a stuttering problem. Though, the JP Star Platinum is unbeatable, probably because Ora is pretty easy to pronounce constantly if you're fluent in the language.
Funny thing about the Shadow Realm is that it basically traps a person's soul to be tortured for eternity in many cases.

It's sometimes even worse than straight-up death. This also meant characters could be rescued. So it's not necessarily a bad thing what the dub did. I honestly felt like it improved the series overall.

I never watched Japanese JoJo, so I won't comment on that bit.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Seitz' Platnium:

Mercer's Platinum:

Wow, Seitz's is definitely more impactful sounding, but I'm not sure if I'd call Mercer's "stuttering", but it's too high pitched. Sounds "lighter" than Jotaro himself.

I'm surprised they even dubbed Star Platinum since all he has to say really is "ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA". But yeah the OG stand cry is the best.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I never watched Japanese JoJo, so I won't comment on that bit.
I only read, I'm not a fan of the anime. I just know tidbits here and there.

Though, that isn't completely truthful. I think Parts 1 and 2 were masterfully recreated, but David dived into the money pit from Part 3 onwards.

Part 3 was extended far too long and should've been about 10-12 episodes shorter since that's closer to the real length than Part 4, which is about 20 chapters longer than the Part 3 manga? It made the latter parts of Part 3 really lackluster, not in the sense that it was pacing on for too long (it was, but it wasn't terrible), but in the sense that you could tell theb udget was diminishing really fast. Then Part 4 had terrible management, a shoddy animation studio, and had a lot of really bad moments and unnecessary changes to character designs, like

The hell am I looking at?

The color contrast is also thing I don't like. Parts 1 & 2 were vibrant and colorful, and while Parts 3 and 4 shared the same, they were bleak in their defaults. A lot of browns and blacks, and in Part 4 piss yellows. Of course they had their flare here and there, but honestly I dislike the presentation in 3 & 4, but I'm a fan of how they treated Parts 1 & 2.

Part 5 apparently has even worse management and lost the director that made some parts of Part 4 bearable to look at (the Ratt episode was really good and detailed actually but that's mostly due to the special guest director that helped), and although the preview has its moments and they're going in a better art direction, I can't say it'll look pretty in the endgame. I'd just read the manga. That's what I've been doing since 2013.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I only read, I'm not a fan of the anime. I just know tidbits here and there.

Though, that isn't completely truthful. I think Parts 1 and 2 were masterfully recreated, but David dived into the money pit from Part 3 onwards.

Part 3 was extended far too long and should've been about 10-12 episodes shorter since that's closer to the real length than Part 4, which is about 20 chapters longer than the Part 3 manga? It made the latter parts of Part 3 really lackluster, not in the sense that it was pacing on for too long (it was, but it wasn't terrible), but in the sense that you could tell theb udget was diminishing really fast. Then Part 4 had terrible management, a shoddy animation studio, and had a lot of really bad moments and unnecessary changes to character designs, like

The hell am I looking at?

The color contrast is also thing I don't like. Parts 1 & 2 were vibrant and colorful, and while Parts 3 and 4 shared the same, they were bleak in their defaults. A lot of browns and blacks, and in Part 4 piss yellows. Of course they had their flare here and there, but honestly I dislike the presentation in 3 & 4, but I'm a fan of how they treated Parts 1 & 2.

Part 5 apparently has even worse management and lost the director that made some parts of Part 4 bearable to look at (the Ratt episode was really good and detailed actually but that's mostly due to the special guest director that helped), and although the preview has its moments and they're going in a better art direction, I can't say it'll look pretty in the endgame. I'd just read the manga. That's what I've been doing since 2013.
Part 3 is the one with Jotaro, right? That's where the dub is.

I've barely read much Manga compared to seeing various anime, dub or sub. I read some early stuff of the translated Shonen Jump stuff, though. Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, etc. I do however own at least one Translated volume of Yugioh(which became Season 0).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Part 5 anime was confirmed?

Damn can't believe I missed that but I'm very excited nonetheless.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Sit down boyes and grills, because Im gonna explain the Problem with Sailor Moon Crystal

Spoilered as it covers the first 2 arcs of the manga:

Not faithful to the Manga:
Starting from episode 3 the series started to deviate heavily from the manga; in the anime, Rei transforms into Sailor Mars and forces Jadeite to retreat. What happens in the manga? Mars flat out incinerates Jadeite and in the following chapter we can see Nephrite swearing revenge on the Senshi while looking at Jadeite's charred carcass.

This writing deviation snowballs as the season continues as the other Senshi also fail to kill the other Dark Generals (all had gruesome deaths at the hands of our girl squad in the manga). One would think "cool, now we gonna have a Battle Royale between Senshi and ****tenou", but nope; midfight Venus stops everyone and states that the Sailors and the Generals were lovers in their past Silver Milennium lives.
In a subsequent fight they struggle to fight them because feelings but they manage to give them their memories back.... and then Metalia erases them with a huge thunderbolt leading to a very awkward crying scene,

They basically rewrote half of the season to try to canonize a ship just to completely drop it at the end and make all the Scouts look weak as no one not called Usagi capitalized a kill.

Toned down:
The manga is characterized for some gruesome stuff, examples include Jadeite getting Sigurd'd as I said before, a little girl getting fried in the Black Moon arc, etc. None of the stuff was fanservicey, but graphical instead; Morgana is cute compared to the stuff that happens in the following chapters.

The biggest example comes from another major rewrite: Queen Beryl's death.
In the manga, Sailor Venus impales Beryl with her sword
In Crystal, Sailor Moon picks the sword and uses it to break Beryl's "magical necklace" causing her to dissolve to dust
Not only dumbed down the kill, but also stripped Minako of her badass moment. This leads to another problem.

It's all Me:
The incompetent director of the first two seasons forgot the teamwork concepts in SM to turn shoujo to the max by focusing everything on Usagi and her sentimental life. The previously mentioned comedy bits in the manga were removed in favor of Usa/Mamo stuff, while removing the traits of personality of the other characters; the Senshi were a complete hivemind for most of Seasons 1 and 2; a hivemind completely devoted to Usagi that forgot they also are teenagers with a life beyond being a superhero. (Superheroes that remained knocked out for a total of 27 minutes during the two seasons tho.) The thing is that Usagi only cared about Mamoru on Season 1, coming out as rude with her friends and Luna sometimes; that is not the Usako we know and love.

Trying to hard:
While they removed the gritty stuff they still tried to look like serious business by giving a dark tone to the series with the characterization and music. However they failed flat as the characterization looked... flat; Sailor Venus looked overly serious on their first appareances and every attempt at some drama clashed with the tone down of the series (see Usagi's suicide).

This issue also leads to the most infamous and glaring problem of S1-2, the Animation:
One thing is having modest budget and another greenlighting awfully animated scenes, like the whole episode 3.

Yukie Sato is glorified for no good reason as his designs simply doesn't work on animation unless you have a NBA cap space budget, same could apply to Takeuchi's first designs as the pretty girl archetype that looks great and elegant on the manga cannot be translated 1:1 to animation without some heavy tweaking on the proportions.

Who's to blame?, Takeuchi for allowing this to happen?, Sato?, the first director? or Toei?

It is Toei, for their lack of interest on the franchise, they could have banked if they had put more faith on the project like they did with Card Captor Sakura.

Thankfully the arrival of Chiaki Kon on Season 3 (seriouesly, S3 is a whole different beast, and it is great) fixed most of the issues and Im glad she's staying in S4. And with the return of Kazuo Tadano I can see a bright future for a franchise that got mistreated for too long,

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Part 3 is the one with Jotaro, right? That's where the dub is.

I've barely read much Manga compared to seeing various anime, dub or sub. I read some early stuff of the translated Shonen Jump stuff, though. Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, etc. I do however own at least one Translated volume of Yugioh(which became Season 0).
1. Jonathan
2. Joseph
3. Jotaro (You're right)
4. Josuke
5. Giorno
6. Jolyne
one mad gay priest later
7. Johnny
8. Josuke (Josk8 or Gappy is used to differentiate him, he's also the guy in my avatar)
Yes, he is. I read the entire YGO manga pirated becuase I was bored, it was pretty fun. The only manga's I've really gone out and read until completion was JoJo, YGO, Berserk, Hokuto no Ken, and Vagabond. I want to read that gambling series sometime, but I just forget about it. I tried getting into One Piece, but I got bored once I got to Usopp's introductory arc.

Part 5 anime was confirmed?

Damn can't believe I missed that but I'm very excited nonetheless.
It was announced around E3 time I believe in some convention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom