• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Complaining about the hamster in Overwatch is like complaining about the kangaroo and dinosaur in Tekken.

Oh wait, people actually did that too.

Moral of the story is that you can never please everyone.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Complaining about the hamster in Overwatch is like complaining about the kangaroo and dinosaur in Tekken.

Oh wait, people actually did that too.

Moral of the story is that you can never please anyone.
People wouldn't be complaining as much if they had gotten a gay guy first, which I think is dumb.

Not saying adding a gay character is dumb, just that wanting to add a gay just for the sake of having a gay to fill a "quota" feels... wrong. :urg:

It removes the value of that potential gay character to nothing more than his sexual orientation, which could easily pass off as offensive.

A reason Overwatch handles the diversity so well is because it's there, but it doesn't take the majority of the character.

Tracer is a good example. She's a lesbian, but she's not gonna scream "I PERFER GIRLS!" in the middle of a match.

And you're not gonna hear Doomfist say "POWER TO THE BLACK!" either.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I mean, I'd argue Tracer's got the bare minimum. It's been like, a year and Emily still hasn't got a last name
It was still enough for people to go crazy about getting a lesbian, iirc.

And while Emily needs more time, they really don't need to make a yuri special out of it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It was still enough for people to go crazy about getting a lesbian, iirc.

And really, while Emily needs more time, they really don't need to make a yuri special out of it.
Because she's a rather iconic character considering her unique design and arguably the most wellknown LGBT video game character.

The lore of Overwatch sucks in general, when it first came out Mercy was the one who turned Reaper into what he is, implying she's more sinister and there's a side we didn't know. "Lol actually it's the piss weeb we just came up with". Same with D Va's retcon about being a Starcraft player being after joining the military

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Because she's a rather iconic character considering her unique design and arguably the most wellknown LGBT video game character.

The lore of Overwatch sucks in general, when it first came out Mercy was the one who turned Reaper into what he is, implying she's more sinister and there's a side we didn't know. "Lol actually it's the piss weeb we just came up with". Same with D Va's retcon about being a Starcraft player being after joining the military
I always thought Mercy turning Reaper into what he is was just a huge **** up and she sworn to protect what's left of Overwatch as best as she can out of guilt... or something like that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I always thought Mercy turning Reaper into what he is was just a huge **** up and she sworn to protect what's left of Overwatch as best as she can out of guilt... or something like that.
Well Blizzard doesn't want that and theu retconned it. They did this stuff in WoW too from what I heard, killing a character off in the canon yet he still appeared in new stuff

D

Deleted member

I woke up in 12:30 AM and had to take my cat to the vet before eating breakfast.
But now that's all said and done, and I ate my breakfast.... er, lunch, and now I'm ready to start my day.
What's up everyone?

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
I woke up in 12:30 AM and had to take my cat to the vet before eating breakfast.
But now that's all said and done, and I ate my breakfast.... er, lunch, and now I'm ready to start my day.
What's up everyone?
talking about overwatch and the bull**** of minorities quotas

while me i'm tired but slept to much so basically pulled an all nighter and now i feel like my avi

D

Deleted member

talking about overwatch and the bull**** of minorities quotas
I see. Well, then I guess that would be a good time to return to my Kirby marathon since Overwatch really isn't my thing, so see ya later.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just find the cultural diversity of Overwatch to be completely arbitrary and irrelevant, and don't understand why people care so much about it.

It's completely surface level. The characters dress up in clothes that may or may not vaguely be tied to the culture they represent, and they have a bit of an accent with the odd quip in their native language.

That's it, that's your diversity. The game is an online shooter/team strategy game with minimal context or story, there isn't a lot you can do to properly represent culture within the game itself, so I don't understand why people look to this game for cultural representation so heavily and specifically.

Then you have something like Tekken, where a character's cultural background actually is integrated into their gameplay and even their story, and since Tag Tournament 2, characters now speak 100% in their native languages. And nobody talks about that fact.

And Tekken can even manage to make a character gay and nobody says anything because it's introduced so deftly in their character development.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Who in Tekken is gay?

The reason Tracer is/was a BIG deal is she's essentially the mascot character. The face of Overwatch. She's on the cover. If there's crossover material. She's the first front and center to the point she was just in a blockbuster movie.

She's essentially like Street Fighter making Ryu gay.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Maple leaves.

it's a field of maple leaves :V
Well, either way, the UK certainly enjoyed running her fingers through Canada's tasty Maple leave fields.

Canada certainly was tasty for the UK.

:v

Man thinking about it Goku would be too cool in Smash.
Agreed, but hey wouldn't it be cool to have a Bo staff user in Smash.

After all, Goku from Yuyuki is such a cool character. :troll:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Who in Tekken is gay?

The reason Tracer is/was a BIG deal is she's essentially the mascot character. The face of Overwatch. She's on the cover. If there's crossover material. She's the first front and center to the point she was just in a blockbuster movie.

She's essentially like Street Fighter making Ryu gay.
Lili is gay.

She starts off straight but literally falls for Azuka Kazama as a result of her rivalry with her.

There was also this Namco developed crossover game called Queen's Gate that's basically an ecchi harem game featuring loads of Japanese fighting game characters and the like. Lili is the Tekken the representative, and she ogles over the other girls with the male protagonist.

Just gonna link this and say it's pretty NSFW, but it's a cutscene that shows it pretty blatantly.

https://youtu.be/4vplgJbSxdI

D

Deleted member

YouTube is 13 years old...
I feel old...
This was the first YouTube video ever made if you are curious.

D

Deleted member

I swear, if I see someone saying the words "forced" and "representation" together in the same sentence one more time I'm gonna flip
overwatch is far more diverse than most other aaa titles, but that doesn’t mean we should fall into complacency (especially since many existing characters are stereotypical). complaining about hammond not being a black woman feels kinda weird and whatabouty though. if you want to see yourself in art that’s intrinsically 100% valid and important, and doesn’t need extrinsic justification by tearing down characters other people like
I saw you all ignoring this post despite it being the best post during this entire discussion.

OW is surely better than the average AAA title but that isn't saying much.
I will say I appreciate the nationality diversity a whole lot as I find it really fun to have a cast from all around the world. Sure, some of them may be founded in stereotypes, Lúcio may be one, for example, but I, as a Brazilian, still like him a lot for being Brazilian and he's at least not a negative stereotype.
She starts off straight but literally falls for Azuka Kazama as a result of her rivalry with her.
"Starts off straight"
Yeah, that's not good

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I swear, if I see someone saying the words "forced" and "representation" together in the same sentence one more time I'm gonna flip

I saw you all ignoring this post despite it being the best post during this entire discussion.

OW is surely better than the average AAA title but that isn't saying much.
I will say I appreciate the nationality diversity a whole lot as I find it really fun to have a cast from all around the world. Sure, some of them may be founded in stereotypes, Lúcio may be one, for example, but I, as a Brazilian, still like him a lot for being Brazilian and he's at least not a negative stereotype.

"Starts off straight"
Yeah, that's not good
I say she starts off straight, but her being straight wasn't a big focus to the point it's debatable as to whether or not she really ever was.

There was a slight implication that she wanted to be with a man who was like her father, as she has a deep love and respect for her father. In Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, she comments on how Ganryu has attractive eyebrows that remind her of her father's.

This is really the only point where her sexuality could have been inferred before she was confirmed lesbian, and again, it's debatable.

Don't really see what the problem would be even if she was straight to start with though. Not everyone's sexual orientation stays the same throughout their entire life.

Starlight_Lily

.... i feel violated :urg:
Why, don't you live in the USA? The UK only enjoyed Canada's fields. :v

I say she starts off straight, but her being straight wasn't a big focus to the point it's debatable as to whether or not she really ever was.

There was a slight implication that she wanted to be with a man who was like her father, as she has a deep love and respect for her father. In Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, she comments on how Ganryu has attractive eyebrows that remind her of her father's.

This is really the only point where her sexuality could have been inferred before she was confirmed lesbian, and again, it's debatable.

Don't really see what the problem would be even if she was straight to start with though. Not everyone's sexual orientation stays the same throughout their entire life.
Dude, the problem is you said she starts out straight. Fact of the matter is, nobody starts out one sexuality then suddenly switches to another, its that they realised they were actually whatever sexuality they were the whole time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What Cure said. No one "turns" another sexuality.
Just sounds like Tekken bull****ting stuff.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Why, don't live in the USA? The UK only enjoyed Canada's fields. :v

Dude, the problem is you said she starts out straight. Fact of the matter is, nobody starts out one sexuality then suddenly switches to another, its that they realised they were actually whatever sexuality they were the whole time.
What Cure said. No one "turns" another sexuality.
Just sounds like Tekken bull****ting stuff.

No, people who literally change sexual preferences midway through their life exist. It's called sexual fluidity and there is scientific evidence to back it up.

It's not a particularly common phenomenon, but it does exist.

Starlight_Lily

No, people who literally change sexual preferences midway through their life exist. It's called sexual fluidity and there is scientific evidence to back it up.

It's not a particularly common phenomenon, but it does exist.
That's not really changing your sexuality though, that's more being becoming more in tune with your sexuality and sexual prefences.

Also, just for the record, a lot of yuri stories have it where a girl falls in love with just one particular girl, and she isn't gay, but she just loves that girl, and well that kind of has some unfortunate implications when it comes to sexuality for Lesbian sexuality.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Uhm, so, you guys remember how Valentines Hector had a note on his announcement saying "something something this isn't the Hector from the Choose Your Legends event"? I believe Fallen Celica had it too. But I can't seem to find it on Legendary Hector's announcement and I'm willing to bet neither does Ephraim.
Where do I want to get with this? What if these ARE their CYL variants?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's not really changing your sexuality though, that's more being in tune with your sexuality.

Also, just for the record, a lot of yuri stories have it where a girl falls in love with just one particular girl, and she isn't gay, but she just loves that girl, and well that kind of has some unfortunate explanations when it comes to sexuality for Lesbian sexuality.
No, it is changing your sexuality.

As an example, if I, a male, spent my teenage period trying to date girls and just never clicked with them, and never got a sexual rise from them, and then tried dating guys and do click with them and get a sexual rise, that means I was just homosexual the whole time.

If I, a male, dated girls and DID click with them and get a sexual rise, and then decided to date guys and ALSO click with them and get a sexual rise - then I was probably bisexual the whole time.

However there is a third scenario.

If I, a male, dated girls and clicked with them and got a sexual rise from them, suddenly STOPPED getting that rise, only to then discover that guys now give me that rise, that's sexual fluidity. I was genuinely heterosexual, but became homosexual. And I could potentially go back to being heterosexual again.

The distinction here is obviously that my sexual and romantic experiences with those girls in the past were genuine. I would have enjoyed them as any heterosexual male would. I would have just stopped enjoying them suddenly one day, only to find I now like boys. And I might suddenly go back to exclusively liking girls again.

Literally just google it and you'll find plenty of studies and personal stories on sexual fluidity.

Sexual fluidity even has distinctly identifiable causes. One of the most common is same sex schools. You put a straight guy in a school with only other guys for a few years, and there is a good chance that they might just stop being interested in girls because they are exposed to the male sex, and masculine sexuality, for so long to the point where they practically forget their attraction to girls.

And I can actually vouch for that. While I'm not sexually fluid, I went to an all male secondary school and knew a few guys who were. Their struggle was distinctly different from the gay guys and bisexual guys I knew.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
This speedrun for Catherine is annoying with the “new record. New record. New record. New record”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom