• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I think you missed my point.

Nobody is denying that being good helps. It always does. In some cases, it's all you need. If you want to work as a creative mind within the industry, be it programming or artwork or anything in between, your standards should be professional at a minimum.

But it's never enough for every situation. For instance, some people get turned down from jobs simply for the software they are familiar with. You could be an expert in Blender and be capable of pumping out ninth generation models at an incredible rate, but that won't matter if the company uses 3DS Max and doesn't realise how easily meshes and data can be ported between the two programs (IMO it's best to know both, along with any other software you can get your hands on). The opposite can also happen of course, despite 3DS Max being viewed as better suited to professional AAA game development.

And since you brought up schools and colleges, that's another relevant issue. Your background in those can make or break your chances regardless of your skills. Some colleges will literally offer you direct connections towards getting a job due to their ties with a specific company, so a lesser skilled individual would have more of a chance as long as they worked at and acceptable level and rate, as opposed to someone coming from a less prestigious educational background who worked at a superior level and rate because they use their free time to hone their skills, as opposed to the first guy who only does the work at college. The former individual would have the goodwill of friends of the company, after all. Problem is, the more prestigious colleges cost way more to get into. Or, if you're coming straight from secondary school, you have to score really well in exams to get into the best colleges. But you will be doing so in areas that don't relate to your field and you just don't understand as well.

Even just your country of birth can be an inhibitor. I live in Ireland, and there are **** all game dev jobs here, and not many prestigious colleges for the field. I know this and I intend to pursue a career in this field anyway by my own methods, but you can't deny that there are way more opportunities for someone born in America or Japan or the UK as opposed to someone born in Ireland. It is flat out harder to break into the industry if you're living in Ireland. You have more hurdles, one of the most likely ones being money and the mental hurdle of leaving loved ones behind for a long time.

I'm not denying the importance of honing your skills and doing the research on the most relevant tech. Being good at your job will always be of help, and it's important. But talent and skills alone don't secure a job for everyone. You kind of pointed that out yourself by mentioning things like schools teaching dated techniques and software (something I can vouch for - I was taught UDK when UE4 had been out for a while).

It's really up to the individual to explore the avenues they have, and what can specifically land them a job they want. However, simply telling people to "git gud" isn't going to help them. Anyone trying to get into any creative industry probably realises that they should be doing that.
This isn't for you specifically, but for people who want to do this kind of thing in general.

Please don't use Blender, or Gimp, or any other free program.

It's not that these programs are bad. It's not that you can't do great work in them. If you're just a hobbyist, you'll be fine with these and you'll find that they really are capable of most everything the big ones can do. But you won't be as fast at it as someone of equal "talent" using the professional programs.

In fact, most of the really big studios don't even use 3DS Max anymore. It's all Maya these days. Sony, Naughty Dog, Blizzard, Riot, Bioware, Bungie. It's all Maya. A lot of smaller studios still use Max because changing licenses is expensive. But Maya is the Industry Standard these days and there's so many students out there still being taught 3DS Max for some reason.

And I'll say this to you personally. If you want to be a games artist, apply to Gnomon. I'd be glad to look at your portfolio and tell you what they look for in applicants. Gnomon is the only art school in the world that will actually prepare you for this field, and it's worth every cent. Each year they have between a 97 to 100% job placement rate, and these aren't just average jobs, these are the big name jobs people actually aspire to get when they choose to enter this field.

?????????????

Smash Master
That's great Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei ! I'm just wrapping up my fourth year of teaching myself, and I'm starting all over at a new school next year!

...In school terms, "next year" is "a few months from now."

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Then why is ****ing Majora the sidekick?

The world really must be in big trouble when the being with world-ending ambitions and possession abilities wants to work with Link while letting him be the damn hero.
Well spoilers but Majora uses Link the whole game, and takes over the final boss in the true ending.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well I thought of it being a creepy Zelda game. Majora’s Mask would return again and be Link’s sidekick. Also I thought of a new item, it’s a magic spear that Link can toss to attack enemies at long range or to use in puzzles in conjunction with the grappling hook. There’d be tools that have been forgotten like the switch hook or gust jar too.
That sounds really cool. I do like those creepy games.

Majora's Mask is one of my favorites, after all. Thinking about reusing any of the masks?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Oh, that makes a lot of sense.

Gonna assume this isn't the same Link as in MM then. Otherwise, it's stupid.
Nah it’d be a different Link in a different branch of the series, probably after Adventure of Link or something.
That sounds really cool. I do like those creepy games.

Majora's Mask is one of my favorites, after all. Thinking about reusing any of the masks?
Thought about it. Probably Bunny Hood if anything.

I gave him a congratulations on Discord so I feel no regret in saying this.

Calling yourself sensei AND your avatar choice means you're a ****ing weeeeeeeeeeb
:061:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thought about it. Probably Bunny Hood if anything.
Gibdo Mask is one of my favorites~

Mask of Truth too.

I've always liked the idea of combining items too. Besides the Bomb Arrows, we don't really see it at all in the official series, do we?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It’s not really combining items more just using them together to solve puzzles.
Ah.

Not what I had in mind, then.

I've been working on my own, but it's on hiatus right now. I'm still figuring out how to make entrances in Zelda Classic. >.<

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ah.

Not what I had in mind, then.

I've been working on my own, but it's on hiatus right now. I'm still figuring out how to make entrances in Zelda Classic. >.<
I also want to bring back the Spinner. I liked that tool.

Also another “new” tool is the thunder boomerang. What it does should be obvious.

D

Deleted member

Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei
I know I already congratulated you, but teach those kids well.
You know how to whip me up to shape. I am sure you can whip your students up to shape.

I legit think you will be a good teacher.

Also Europe vs Japan will be Grand Finals.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I also want to bring back the Spinner. I liked that tool.

Also another “new” tool is the thunder boomerang. What it does should be obvious.
Let us hope the Thunder Boomerang stuns and/or damages Peahats. >.> Cause seriously, screw Peahats. :|

My general concept is remaking items based upon the spells. Water Pillar Bombs. Fireball Candle. Wind Cutter Boomerang. Rock Wand. Staff is your "sword" as is, but fairy different. Slash is a must to make it work well, but yeah.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It's BackSquids vs GG Boyz for grand finals tomorrow. Nice first part of the Splatoon 2 World Championship.

But tomorrow is where the REAL magic begins for Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom