• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Well, there's the problem.

For an employer, motivation = eagerness to work.

No motivation, no job.

I'd like to say you should be more motivated and focused, but a part of me will definitely want you to burn me at the stake for hypocrisy if I say that because I'm a heavy procrastinator with the attention span of that talking dog from Up.
bro. I was all sorts of eager. You could see it in my face, I asked a whole bunch of quetions about how its like working there, I said "Ive always wanted to work here" and "Ive always wanted to work with animals even as a kid"

then I gave them my application... and havent heard back in a year..then I died inside and gave up

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
bro. I was all sorts of eager. You could see it in my face, I asked a whole bunch of quetions about how its like working there, I said "Ive always wanted to work here" and "Ive always wanted to work with animals even as a kid"

then I gave them my application... and havent heard back in a year..
Oh... Did you give the right number or anything?

Because it's honestly really odd to me that they wouldn't even tell you if you got the job or not.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
"hearing"

Don't you mean hearing-impaired?
Just a heads up, many Deaf LOATHE that term because it's the medical view of being "broken and need to be fixed" while they have a cultural definition of the word "Deaf".

I'm saying "hearing" as in think, do, interact like a hearing person when you're Deaf. Those types of comments are usually towards those who didn't grow up in a Deaf family or Deaf school which I never had the opportunity to because I didn't know about the state's school here until my sophomore year of high school. These types of jokes makes me feel excluded or unwelcome at times because of the attitude towards those who didn't have the experience, yet I'm trying to stick around because I see many benefits

Yeah they're cool but what about beta Bayleef.

View attachment 147027
What the flying ****

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just a heads up, many Deaf LOATHE that term because it's the medical view of being "broken and need to be fixed" while they have a cultural definition of the word "Deaf".

I'm saying "hearing" as in think, do, interact like a hearing person when you're Deaf. Those types of comments are usually towards those who didn't grow up in a Deaf family or Deaf school which I never had the opportunity to because I didn't know about the state's school here until my sophomore year of high school. These types of jokes makes me feel excluded or unwelcome at times because of the attitude towards those who didn't have the experience, yet I'm trying to stick around because I see many benefits
Look on the bright side.

At least, the Internet's definition of your condition isn't blood-boilingly insulting.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Feels weird that it's been 3 months since the Smash Bros. reveal and still not final title.

Yes, it's 99.9% likely it'll be revealed next week but I don't see the harm telling us earlier (unless its title unrealistically contains a spoiler like "Super Smash Bros.: Big Ridley Edition" :upsidedown:)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Uni, some people are completely deaf, they just happen to know how to read lips.
That's just a myth. Not everyone can read lips and it's another term that many hate. Everytime someone asked me if I can read lips, I end up asking them if they can read my hands when I'm talking about ASL.

Look on the bright side.

At least, the Internet's definition of your condition isn't blood-boilingly insulting.
Still don't appreciate the term hearing impaired though.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Fear and Loathing in Alabama. Starring: Me. Tickets are free.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
That's just a myth. Not everyone can read lips and it's another term that many hate. Everytime someone asked me if I can read lips, I end up asking them if they can read my hands when I'm talking about ASL.

Oh, crap, I was supposed to put 2 some in that sentence, now I look like an asshole....

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
yes. cell number and everything..

I dont know why no one wants to hire me. I guess I am a pretty bad failure
Don't say you're a failure.

Sometimes, the market's just really tough and unfair.

I didn't know and now I do, so I promise not to say it again... and hopefully not forget :lol:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

then I gave them my application... and havent heard back in a year..then I died inside and gave up
So keep applying. Again and again until they hire you.

The place I got my first retail job at was a place I really wanted to work at. It was a toys and video games retailer and I wanted to work in the video game section. I had been sending them applications every few months for a while, since about late 2015. I didn't get an interview with them until late 2017, and they hired me mid-interview. They even skipped questions (which was illegal, but I didn't say anything because hey, I need a job, and it's them breaking the law, not me).

Now, that place wasn't actually all that pleasant in the end. I jumped ship as soon as I got another job locked down. But my eagerness got me hired. A company doesn't know you're eager if you just send one application and that's it. There are a multitude of reasons why they might not have hired you the first time, many have nothing to do with you. So keep trying. And try for other places while you're at it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Curious, when learning about this back in high school, we were always told to use the more technical term rather than 'deaf' because it was supposedly "offensive".
Either this is related to cultural differences(which, to be fair, has some precedent due to what are considered racial slurs here compared to the US) or that none of my teachers knew **** about actual deaf people.
I'm more willing to bet on the latter though.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Interesting that Smash Wiki put in the Vergeben "leak" in their "List of rumors" article. I don't think it's completely credible right now.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
yes. cell number and everything..

I dont know why no one wants to hire me. I guess I am a pretty bad failure
I graduated from college in 2013. I still haven't used my degree. For three solid years I was either unemployed or working part time at a job that was, frankly, beneath me. In that time I applied for dozens of jobs within my preferred field, literally none of which I ever heard back from.

But two years later, half those companies I applied for I wouldn't even accept a job from now if it was offered. I'm too good for them.

This isn't meant to just brag (not entirely, anyway). The fact is, no company wants to take a risk on an unknown quantity. When your application goes unanswered, it's easy to feel worthless. I've been there. But you weren't passed over because you aren't worth anything. You were passed over because most places no longer want to be the first to hire new blood.

A couple of decades ago most employers had no choice but to take whoever walked in off the street and hope they turn out to be good employees. Nowadays they can just wait for qualified people to find them, and the result of that is those of us with genuine skill, passion or work ethic, but no work experience, get the short end of the stick.

But never hearing back on a job application is NOT a mark of your character. It is NOT a sign of weakness, nor does it make you a failure.

I wish I had better advice for how to overcome that first excruciatingly large hurdle, but you've just got to keep trying.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Uni, some people are completely deaf, they just happen to know how to read lips.
Okay, just for the record, this sentence was supposed to actually read like this:

Uni, some people are completely deaf, some just happen to be able to read lips.

And well, if I offended you CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592 , I genuinely apologise, I've never actually communicated with a lot of deaf people in my town.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The thing I’m curious about is how each duo of dlc characters is tied together. First is movie saiyans, second is fusions, third being base goku and base vegeta... how the **** they gonna tie together Android 17 and Cooler?
17 is the coolest android
Cooler technically is pretty cool too.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Curious, when learning about this back in high school, we were always told to use the more technical term rather than 'deaf' because it was supposedly "offensive".
Either this is related to cultural differences(which, to be fair, has some precedent due to what are considered racial slurs here compared to the US) or that none of my teachers knew **** about actual deaf people.
I'm more willing to bet on the latter though.
Interesting and this doesn't surprise me at the same time. I'm willing to bet that it's the medical field trying to explain that hearing impaired is appropriate for those of us that is "different". But many audiologists don't interact with Deaf or willing to even respect our culture. Hence why the Deaf community and medical field has always been at odds when it comes to stuff such s Cochlear Implants

Even though sign language has been around for hundreds of years. it wasn't an official language until the 1960's when William Stokoe discovered ASL from observing students at Gallaudet University.

I didn't know and now I do, so I promise not to say it again... and hopefully not forget :lol:
No worries! I'm just happy to at least explain why now than never doing so ;)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A couple of decades ago most employers had no choice but to take whoever walked in off the street and hope they turn out to be good employees. Nowadays they can just wait for qualified people to find them, and the result of that is those of us with genuine skill, passion or work ethic, but no work experience, get the short end of the stick.
And I think that's the problem with employers. Or I guess society as a whole. There's so many skilled workers out there in the workforce and yet so many people are left without being able to get a job because of the stupid "must have (insert numbers of years) experience in this job field" rule and myself and other are left **** outta luck.

So in that regard, I can def empahzize with Pumpkaboo. It's a really crappy feeling and at times feels like a hopeless venture (however true or untrue). Even worse is when people lose out to other candidates due to nepotism (i.e. "my buddy works here so I was able to get a position just through knowing him").

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Damn, I probably said this before, but I feel like a picture of someone sipping a cup feels more savage that any smug ***** :V

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I see Konami releasing or re-releasing a Castlevania just to answer to IGA and his Bloodstained Project.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And I think that's the problem with employers. Or I guess society as a whole. There's so many skilled workers out there in the workforce and yet so many people are left without being able to get a job because of the stupid "must have (insert numbers of years) experience in this job field" rule and myself and other are left **** outta luck.

So in that regard, I can def empahzize with Pumpkaboo. It's a really crappy feeling and at times feels like a hopeless venture (however true or untrue). Even worse is when people lose out to other candidates due to nepotism (i.e. "my buddy works here so I was able to get a position just through knowing him").
If you want to be perfectly logical about it, getting your first few jobs in the current job climate is a hopeless endeavour. There is no logical or objective reason to hold out hope when even retailers expect four years experience for something as menial as a sales assistant position.

However, it's one of those things where it's best to go against that logical conclusion and hope beyond hope that your efforts get you a job. Because you aren't going to get anywhere without working a few odd jobs along the way. You hope because you have no other option or alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom