• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like my posting here has dropped significantly. I blame mafia.

Anyone here an avid reader and have any recommendations? My professors have all already told me we don't have homework (lucky coincidence) and I purposefully did not bring my switch to my dorm so I wouldn't be tempted. But this free time could go to use. Might get a book from the library, and wouldn't mind a suggestion instead of just grabbing at random. If no one says anything i'll probably grab Fahrenheit 451 (which was recommended to me like 5 years ago) or something from Shakespeare that I wont be smart enough to understand..

:061:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

Anyone here an avid reader and have any recommendations? My professors have all already told me we don't have homework (lucky coincidence) and I purposefully did not bring my switch to my dorm so I wouldn't be tempted. But this free time could go to use. Might get a book from the library, and wouldn't mind a suggestion instead of just grabbing at random. If no one says anything i'll probably grab Fahrenheit 451 (which was recommended to me like 5 years ago) or something from Shakespeare that I wont be smart enough to understand..

I wouldn't classify myself as an "avid" reader, but And Then There Were None and 1984 are both excellent reads and some of my favorite stories devised in any medium within fiction. The former is a mystery novel, and the latter is a dystopian thriller.

D

Deleted member

I love reading myself. I say you should read something from Shakespeare, or a nonfiction book. When you want to learn, it is fun. I say you also try to read juicy long books for fun like I do. Have you tried to Kill a Mockingbird or the Ilaid / The Odyssey. I know you do not care for me but I love reading myself ( no joke ), so I just want to give you recommendations.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'd definitely second the recommendation of Fahrenheit 451. Fantastic book.

I wouldn't classify myself as an "avid" reader, but And Then There Were None and 1984 are both excellent reads and some of my favorite stories devised in any medium within fiction. The former is a mystery novel, and the latter is a dystopian thriller.
1984 I actually read about 2 years ago. Was pretty good.

A mystery novel actually sounds pretty good though. Will probably check it out, assuming my attention span of a 4 year old doesnt make me forget.

D

Deleted member

I'd definitely second the recommendation of Fahrenheit 451. Fantastic book.
Now I want to read the book because of you. I will read it during school when all of my work is done.

A mystery novel actually sounds pretty good though. Will probably check it out, assuming my attention span of a 4 year old doesnt make me forget.
I like reading novel mysteries. You trying any other books out?

Last edited by a moderator:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584

I highly recommend The Communist Manifesto

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
1984 I actually read about 2 years ago.
There goes my recommendation.

More details on your reading preferences and what you're looking to get out of it? Might be able to come up with something else.

Gonna have to give me a few hours though.

D

Deleted member

I highly recommend The Communist Manifesto
Added that to my reading list.

Have you read to Kill a Mockingbird? Good book.
Sorry for double quote, but try the Lord of the Rings book.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A Distant Demon A Distant Demon

I will always recommend the original Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.

It's very different from the movie. I won't spoil it all but let's say certain characters who lived in the movie died and certain characters who died in the movie lived. Also napalm.

If you want something a little more serious.

The Pianist is a very good autobiography about a Polish Holocaust survivor.

Things Fall Apart is an interesting look at the clashing of traditional African values and the new values of the colonial white man.

Rain Reign is a sweet yet heartbreaking book about a girl with autism and her dog.

I got more if you want, but tell me what you think of those suggestions.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

It's very different from the movie. I won't spoil it all but let's say certain characters who lived in the movie died and certain characters who died in the movie lived. Also napalm.

Things Fall Apart is an interesting look at the clashing of traditional African values and the new values of the colonial white man.

Rain Reign is a sweet yet heartbreaking book about a girl with autism and her dog.

Ooh, that reminds me. If you want even more autobiographies of Holocaust survivors, Night is great. Heart wrenching, as is to be expected from a Holocaust survivor autobiography, but a fantastic read.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You realize that 99% of what alek posts is a ****post and that the remaining 1% is a reaction to a ****post, right? :troll:

Why are you saying sorry for this, of all things?

Gosh, you really sound Canadian right now. :V

Which one? There's like, three of them :p
Leave the Cinnamon Roll alone, you evil Korn!

D

Deleted member

You realize that 99% of what alek posts is a ****post and that the remaining 1% is a reaction to a ****post, right? :troll:
He did not look joking to me.
I am going to the library to get some books tomorrow, looks like it is time for reading.
Ooh, that reminds me. If you want even more autobiographies of Holocaust survivors, Night is great. Heart wrenching, as is to be expected from a Holocaust survivor autobiography, but a fantastic read.
I actually read Night way back! Oh the memories!
That book was one of the most heart wrenching and best reads I have ever read.
Elie Wiesel was definitely an inspirational and strong person.
AH I was actually going to read that book for a project but I chose "Go Ask Alice" instead.

You know, I might chose this book in the library tomorrow, I am into sci-fi stuff.

A Distant Demon A Distant Demon have you ever read to Kill a Mockingbird? ( I might of said this question like three times, I do not know ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A Distant Demon A Distant Demon have you ever read to Kill a Mockingbird? ( I might of said this question like three times, I do not know ).
To Kill A Mockingbird is a wonderful book.

But it's also in like every high school's reading curriculum.

He probably has.

If he hasn't Zeb, what's wrong with you?

Last edited:
Appreciate the recommendations. Will try to remember them for later. Gonna stick with Hat's first recommendation just because a mystery novel sounds neat right now.

Jurassic Park I want to get to one day, but I think I would prefer to rewatch the movie I don't remember instead lol

Not really interested in the Pianist or Rain reign (Pianist just in general, Rain on the concept, not the genre). Things fall apart sounds cool though
Read that one in school. Pisses me off how awful it was (the events, not the book). Maus too actually. . .
To Kill A Mockingbird is a wonderful book.

But it's also in like every high school's reading curriculum.

He probably has.

If he hasn't Zeb, what's wrong with you?
Yup. Read it. Was good.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Oh gosh, I haven't read a novel in so long. . .

Of course, it doesn't help in my case that A: Anything depressing is pretty much an immediate "no" due to the empathy bombs that ensue and B: TV Tropes pretty much shot my ability to enjoy non-interactive media to hell. And offers a more convenient place to research said media which also involves spoiling it all.

And C: The Red Badge of Courage pretty much destroyed any respect I had in classic literature as a label when I was forced into reading it in grade school. I learned pretty deeply that I have a hatred of incessant darkness and dramatic irony from that.

*EDIT* Funny thing is that I was a super avid reader as a kid. Now I mostly channel that into occasionally browsing TV Tropes and the SCP Foundation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom