• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I wouldn't know jack about "perspective and anatomy". As someone who's trying to get better at drawing through tutorials and other stuff.

What do you mean by that exactly?
Let's look at the girl, because she's the worst of the three.

Terrible perspective on her left our right eye. And the entire shape of her head is very boxy and uncharacteristic of Sugimori, who is fond of much rounder shapes with actual hints of anatomical curves.

Compare her to these trainer arts:

Note how much more visually appealing all of these girls faces are at much the same angle as seen in this "leaked" art

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's implying they have fangirls in-universe.
And no, don't show me Gary's fanclub from the anime or I swear to God...
Pokemon has obsessed fan trainers so yeah I think they would get lucky lol.
Red and Blue sounds like a great sitcom
My favorite episode is the one where Red steals Blue's job.
Well actually if you used Blue's Japanese name, Green then it would be the Red & Green show lol. Referencing the show that used to air on Comedy Central of course.

Terrible perspective on her left our right eye. And the entire shape of her head is very boxy and uncharacteristic of Sugimori, who is fond of much rounder shapes with actual hints of anatomical curves.

Note how much more visually appealing all of these girls faces are at much the same angle as seen in this "leaked" art
That's a good point but as someone who's crap at art and doesn't know much about art theory it would probably go past me unless it was really bad lol.

I personally like the designs. To each their own I guess.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
RE: Fliers
Most of my best units have generally been fliers. Bad first few levels, but by the time they are promoted they are beats

Caeda is probably the best unit I have in SD right now (better than Marth lol), Florina, Heath, Hinoka (of course that's BR), Camilla, Cordelia, etc. All beasts.

Coricus are you posting from the 40s?

:061:
I'm pretty sure my area votes from the 40's, at least.

And most of the people that actively like this place were probably born then.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As long as it's different enough from current Pokemon, it could be genwunn, gentoo, or whatever, I'd buy it.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Sugimori has the same problem Toriyama does. His art doesn't really look like anything anybody else is drawing, so every halfwit with a digital pen thinks they can emulate it if they just draw the eyeballs in vaguely the same shape.

Except these guys are actually good at their craft. Decades of experience. If it was that easy to do what they do, there'd be more crap out there that looks just like it.

Chrono.

Then Red is getting it on with his aunt. :urg:
Step Aunt.

Big difference, so it's all good!

No it's not, incest is very bad, kids. Even non blood related.

What about the possibility of them being somewhat rough sketches like the starter leaks from Gen 7? (Though the fact that these new ones emulate those is suspicious enough as it is.)

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I just noticed none of the characters on the supposed leak is showing those freaking buck teeth Sugimori has been drawing for a while. Hell, they look weird because all have their mouths closed.

Yeah, fake :V

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I see Spla2n is being hacked.

I'll just wait until the next Splatfest to hopefully see it gone (or as much as possible).

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Sugimori has the same problem Toriyama does. His art doesn't really look like anything anybody else is drawing, so every halfwit with a digital pen thinks they can emulate it if they just draw the eyeballs in vaguely the same shape.

Except these guys are actually good at their craft. Decades of experience. If it was that easy to do what they do, there'd be more crap out there that looks just like it.
. . .That does explain why every fakemon I've every seen looks visibly off, LOL.

That and people having absolutely zero grasp on how animals grow and mature/not caring that Pokemon actually pays attention to that.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Step Aunt.

Big difference, so it's all good!

No it's not, incest is very bad, kids. Even non blood related.

What about the possibility of them being somewhat rough sketches like the starter leaks from Gen 7? (Though the fact that these new ones emulate those is suspicious enough as it is.)
If they're real they aren't drawn by Sugimori. Not even as a rough sketch. You can't just turn off your understanding of shape language. And moreover, why would you even if you could?

Chrono.

If they're real they aren't drawn by Sugimori. Not even as a rough sketch. You can't just turn off your understanding of shape language. And moreover, why would you even if you could?
The starter leak from back then was from the anime staff and not Sugimori.

Could be a similar case here but I'm not holding my breath.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The starter leak from back then was from the anime staff and not Sugimori.

Could be a similar case here but I'm not holding my breath.
But these look even less like the anime character designs than they do Sugimori's artwork

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't really have an opinion on any given leaks either way yet in terms of likelihood (although I have salt to spare about some iterations, LOL), but I do remember the general principle of "what everyone thinks is real is fake and what everyone thinks is fake is real."

I'm not gonna argue if someone wants to pick something apart. If they use Photoforensics or whatever it's called they're grasping at straws and it's probably real. Otherwise due process is pretty lit.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't really care what the characters look like, especially if there is customization in the game. What I care about is the Pokemon

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Because I'm a nerd for this kind of thing:

A big issue with anime character design in general, and a big reason you're doing yourself a massive disservice by learning to draw anime style before learning realistic fundamentals, is 90% of anime styled drawings out there don't understand the shape of the skull. And it goes way beyond "stylization."

Our skulls have a distinct corner to them, which gives us a flat front face and a flat side face. We're not walking around with big spheres for heads, as so many amateur artists draw them. Our skulls are also missing huge chunks out of them where the eyes go; this is what lets you see out the side of our eyes and gives us peripheral vision.

This corner is basically invisible in front views and in side views. Most artists, even bad ones, tend to be able to draw a halfway decent front view or side view. It's the 3/4 view that they butcher, because they don't know how the face functions at that angle, and with cutesy, heavily stylized anime faces, it's the jawline that gets screwed up the most. Sugimori doesn't have that problem.

Because anime characters have big, flat eyes, most artists struggle with how to define the shape of the face in 3/4 view. And they do exactly what this leaker did. They make the side of the head basically a perfectly straight up and down line.

Sugimori solves this problem with a very clever bit of contrasting. He curves his eye socket in too far. The effect this has when paired up with giant flat eyes, is it creates a very aesthetically satisfying curve to the cheek that is both completely, technically incorrect, and yet still feels like the way a face actually functions.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

A big issue with anime character design in general, and a big reason you're doing yourself a massive disservice by learning to draw anime style before learning realistic fundamentals, is 90% of anime styled drawings out there don't understand the shape of the skull. And it goes way beyond "stylization."

Our skulls have a distinct corner to them, which gives us a flat front face and a flat side face. We're not walking around with big spheres for heads, as so many amateur artists draw them. Our skulls are also missing huge chunks out of them where the eyes go; this is what lets you see out the side of our eyes and gives us peripheral vision.

This corner is basically invisible in front views and in side views. Most artists, even bad ones, tend to be able to draw a halfway decent front view or side view. It's the 3/4 view that they butcher, because they don't know how the face functions at that angle, and with cutesy, heavily stylized anime faces, it's the jawline that gets screwed up the most. Sugimori doesn't have that problem.

Because anime characters have big, flat eyes, most artists struggle with how to define the shape of the face in 3/4 view. And they do exactly what this leaker did. They make the side of the head basically a perfectly straight up and down line.

Sugimori solves this problem with a very clever bit of contrasting. He curves his eye socket in too far. The effect this has when paired up with giant flat eyes, is it creates a very aesthetically satisfying curve to the cheek that is both completely, technically incorrect, and yet still feels like the way a face actually functions.
*ignores actual writing learning instructions and makes mental note of Sugimori shortcut*

:036:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I think I just won't look deeply into Pokémon Switch for the time being. I'm WAY more focused on Super Smash Bros. & Octo Expansion right now and I haven't seen enough from Pokémon (rumors/leaks and zero official) to keep me caring. Maybe when they officially reveal it that'll change.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well I would try to learn those things better if I had the resources to learn them. I'm just basically doing tutorials off the internet to improve my drawing ability.

Would take an art class if I had the time and money.

D

Deleted member

Ok, now can you translate it to stupid? I understood about 30% of what you said.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Well I would try to learn those things better if I had the resources to learn them. I'm just basically doing tutorials off the internet to improve my drawing ability.

Would take an art class if I had the time and money.
Use tutorials for the technical side of things. How to use photoshop. How to determine line weight, how to shade, how to blend colors.

Don't use tutorials for how to see. That's the real job of an artist. You've got to understand what you're drawing. Only when you understand form and function can you make real, determined choices on all the technical stuff.

You'll learn way more about drawing by buying an anatomy textbook and studying the way people are built than you will by picking up a pencil and mindlessly following how-to-draw books.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I got Super Mario 3D World running at 4K60. Just need to figure out the precompiled shader cache and then it's running flawlessly.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Use tutorials for the technical side of things. How to use photoshop. How to determine line weight, how to shade, how to blend colors.

Don't use tutorials for how to see. That's the real job of an artist. You've got to understand what you're drawing. Only when you understand form and function can you make real, determined choices on all the technical stuff.

You'll learn way more about drawing by buying an anatomy textbook and studying the way people are built than you will by picking up a pencil and mindlessly following how-to-draw books.
Don't forget about how light bounces and goes through things.

---

Welp, just made it to the Indigo plateau in crystal. Was wondering where all the trainers were and all of a sudden Silver shows up.

A boss im not ready for, piloswine is down, and I dont have my boy :062: because HM slaves.

. . .beat him without losing a pokemon. RIP Silver

Did a little bit of grinding, but only like a level or two. Umbra (i couldnt think of anything better and it fits because im playing bayonetta) finally involved into umbreon on Victory Road!

Also found the earthquake TM so Pilowswine just became a monster.

:157: - Tai
-Lvl38
-Flame Wheel
-Strength
-Quick Attack
-Smokescreen

:062: -Froppy
-Lvl 37
-Surf
-Body Slam
-Submission
-Hypnosis

:125: -Phosphora
-Lvl 38
-Thunderpunch
-Dizzypunch
-Strength
-Lightscreen

:197: - Umbra
-Lvl 38
-Bite
-Shadow Ball
-Quickatttack
-Sand-attaack

:018: - Roc
-Lvl 37
-Wing Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly
-Sand-attack

:221: - Piloswine
-Lvl 37
-Icy Wind
- Earthquake
-Strength
-Powder Snow

Im sure I cant beat the E4 since if I remember correctly they are mid/late 40s, but they wont be bad training. Better than goldbat and golems lol

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

So what you're saying is draw by eye, not by step-by-step guides?

That's both easier AND more relatable to me, LOL. Although I guess not as complacent for some people.

Granted, I don't see myself any more likely to actually read an anatomy book than a how-to-draw book, but I at least have the size/body shape chart from the art class I took a few years back in a drawer somewhere. And I did get marginally more understanding of anatomy from that. Which I only rarely actually take the time to try to apply.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

That's all true and I don't disagree but using drawing tutorials is a good way to at least improve drawing ability somewhat right?

Like i've improved a little bit by doing tutorials though i'm not even close to being decent at drawing. Studying anatomy is very important yes but would it help me draw better?

Of course as a prospective artist (eventually I hope lol) anatomy and theory is something I would definitely study and learn more. Just have a lot of things going on in my life to be spending money on that.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Don't forget about how light bounces and goes through things.

---
Haven't had a chance to paint anything in over a year because I've been so busy in 3D. But doing stuff in 3D has taught me so much about the way light interacts with surfaces that I know I'm better at painting now than I was then.

Welp, just made it to the Indigo plateau in crystal. Was wondering where all the trainers were and all of a sudden Silver shows up.

A boss im not ready for, piloswine is down, and I dont have my boy :062: because HM slaves.

. . .beat him without losing a pokemon. RIP Silver

Did a little bit of grinding, but only like a level or two. Umbra (i couldnt think of anything better and it fits because im playing bayonetta) finally involved into umbreon on Victory Road!

Also found the earthquake TM so Pilowswine just became a monster.

:157: - Tai
-Lvl38
-Flame Wheel
-Strength
-Quick Attack
-Smokescreen

:062: -Froppy
-Lvl 37
-Surf
-Body Slam
-Submission
-Hypnosis

:125: -Phosphora
-Lvl 38
-Thunderpunch
-Dizzypunch
-Strength
-Lightscreen

:197: - Umbra
-Lvl 38
-Bite
-Shadow Ball
-Quickatttack
-Sand-attaack

:018: - Roc
-Lvl 37
-Wing Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly
-Sand-attack

:221: - Piloswine
-Lvl 37
-Icy Wind
- Earthquake
-Strength
-Powder Snow

Im sure I cant beat the E4 since if I remember correctly they are mid/late 40s, but they wont be bad training. Better than goldbat and golems lol
Update: I've already been Crit and paralyzed by the same body slam
:062:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I admit I started having more fun while drawing my **** when I stopped looking at tutorials.

The only anatomy thing I religiously check is boobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom