• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
TIL the director for Gundam 00 said this: "The people on the Internet who complain about the show were going to hate it no matter what I did, so I don't really care about their opinions."

Yup, that sounds about right.
Well, yeah, that's pretty much should respond to every person who complaints about something they were never going to like.

Always best to actually listen to fans who give you ACTUAL proper criticism not just moan about how the show isn't what they wanted.

Chrono.

Since Kingdom Hearts 3 allows you two partners in each world now.

I swear to god if there's not a Hawaii world for Lilo & Stitch. The most iconic Disney duo to have their names in the title of their movie. I riot..
It already had a world in BBS and KH3 is only getting new worlds from Disney (Olympus aside.)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It already had a world in BBS and KH3 is only getting new worlds from Disney (Olympus aside.)
It had a prequel world. It's like doing an Incredibles world but setting it in a time before The Incredibles family even exists.

Basically? Lilo deserved to be in Kingdom Hearts with Stitch and we all know it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Since Kingdom Hearts 3 allows you two partners in each world now.

I swear to god if there's not a Hawaii world for Lilo & Stitch. The most iconic Disney duo to have their names in the title of their movie. I riot..
It won't get a world because Japan doesn't get the point of the movie. Lilo's a broken child due to the stress she had to go through at such a young age . "Oh this girl isn't a perfect rolemodel for kids she's terrible. Love the blue guy though" Everyone in Japan probably

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's also silly that he has a sprite in game that has him holding a ****ing guitar and Stitch doesn't even learn to appreciate things like that till Lilo enters his life.

Like the way Stitch was represented in BBS was basically ''Here have all the things Lilo's influence caused but none of the Lilo."

Last edited:

Chrono.

It won't get a world because Japan doesn't get the point of the movie. Lilo's a broken child due to the stress she had to go through at such a young age . "Oh this girl isn't a perfect rolemodel for kids she's terrible. Love the blue guy though" Everyone in Japan probably
Is that really it?

Because I just thought Japan liked Stitch more because, well, he's a cute monster alien.

Plus that anime.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ghast just posted another Support Science, this time on Celica:

Overall, I do think he raises good points, particularly on her reserved state since it does set up for some of her character growth in the future. However, I do think some of the issues with her writing, especially in regards to Jedah and the Duma Faithful as a whole, aren't delved into enough (or exist earlier then he suggests) as I feel they are important to why her character arc feels more frustrating then understandable and they're not given as much time as I hoped. It's for that reason why, while I do still like the video, I don't think it quite changed my mind on her execution.

Nonetheless, what do you guys think? Did he bring up some points that changed your minds on the character? Do you think there are still issues that hold her back? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
Good video as always, but ultimately doesn't change anything for me. She's still my least favourite character in SoV and second least favourite FE character so far. I already picked up on most of this in my first playthrough but ultimately my feelings on Celica boil down to her being bland and uninteresting during Act II, and just being constantly frustrating to watch from the end of Act II on. And while I perfectly understand what they were going for with her, that doesn't change the fact I've seen it done much better elsewhere. If she wasn't one of the main characters, I wouldn't be nearly as harsh on her, but because she's so central to the narrative, you have to constantly put up with her if you don't like her.

The writers had a clear ambition in mind with her and that is commendable, but narrative ambition alone won't make me like a character.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I remember seeing Stitch appear right alongside the Sensational Six (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Daisy and Pluto) in Disneyland merchandise for several years.

And not just him with the Six in addition to them appearing alongside other Disney characters; no, it was either only him with the Sensational Six, or he stood closer to the Six than any other Disney characters appearing in/on the merchandise, barring other characters straight from Walt's cartoon shorts like Chip & Dale.

I'm not totally sure why that was, but I've taken it as a sign that Stitch is pretty huge in popularity (and he's certainly very marketable) here in the States. After learning about that anime, it doesn't surprise me that he's a fairly big deal in Japan, too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

>Broken children characters aren't popular in Japan

Gundam, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, the list goes on.

D

Deleted member

>Broken children characters aren't popular in Japan

Gundam, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, the list goes on.
Broken child character is the whole shtick of shonen anime and manga.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

Luffy and Goku are some of the few I feel dodge the whole broken child schtick in shonen.

Also most Jojos.

EDIT: Thinking about it now, we only see Goku cry twice in the entire series. First time when he sees Grandpa Gohan and has to say goodbye, second time in Super when he thought Roshi had died.

Luffy cries a lot but EVERYONE in One Piece cries a lot. It's kinda their thing.

Either way, neither of them are broken children.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I remember seeing Stitch appear right alongside the Sensational Six (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Daisy and Pluto) in Disneyland merchandise for several years.

And not just him with the Six in addition to them appearing alongside other Disney characters; no, it was either only him with the Sensational Six, or he stood closer to the Six than any other Disney characters appearing in/on the merchandise, barring other characters straight from Walt's cartoon shorts like Chip & Dale.

I'm not totally sure why that was, but I've taken it as a sign that Stitch is pretty huge in popularity (and he's certainly very marketable) here in the States. After learning about that anime, it doesn't surprise me that he's a fairly big deal in Japan, too.
I remember someone theorizing that the Stitch Mania back then had to do with two things:

1.) The obvious one being, Lilo and Stitch was a financial hit, the movie itself was great, and the character was insanely marketable, and you know Disney, when something's a hit, they'll sure let you know.
2.) As a follow up to the first point, Lilo and Stitch was Disney's only successful animated film at that time. Treasure Planet and Atlantis bombed, so of course Disney would put all their merchandising power in this one film that did really well. Even to the point of putting him with Mickey and the gang in merchandise.

Regardless, it says something about a character and movie when their film was released 16 years ago and still has a sizeable portion of the Disney Store and Theme Parks.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
*sigh* fine, broken GIRL child is what Japan didn't like
That's still wrong though. Though not often the literal main character, plenty of the same anime I listed have girl characters who are also broken from a young age.

Hinata from Naruto is a perfect example. She was so popular she became the canon lover of Naruto, yet her backstory starting out was basically "I'm an outcast within my clan's hierarchy and my cousin hates me and is always giving me grief. On top of this, I have crippling social anxiety".

Lilo being less utilised in terms of marketing has nothing to do with her being a broken child, and more to do with the fact that Stitch is the obvious Animal Mascot of that franchise. Lilo is a fantastic character but doesn't have quite the same marketability.

As far as Kingdom Hearts goes, Hawaii not being a world in KH is probably just because it would be difficult to make an interesting world out of. Lilo herself wouldn't really work as a party member.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, really, find me a shonen with a bunch of kids as the main characters where those kids DON'T have a ****ton of issues.
Just look at MHA and find me one(1) completely functional kid in class 1-A, I dare you.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think what Gwen is upset about is the fact that instead of adapting Lilo in the anime version they added a new character and essentially told the same stories with a Japanese girl.

The real problem with replacing Lilo with Yuna for me was that you took this chubby little oddball girl who spoke for a quiet minority in animation and Disney films and replaced her with a conventionally cute tomboy character who we see A LOT of.

And I think that might be what Japan didn't like about Lilo. She wasn't someone they tried to put in their animes/animation. Not because she was broken, but because she was far from their traditional image of a hero character.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I mean, really, find me a shonen with a bunch of kids as the main characters where those kids DON'T have a ****ton of issues.
Just look at MHA and find me one(1) completely functional kid in class 1-A, I dare you.
Tooru?

I mean what is she about other than invisible jokes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think what Gwen is upset about is the fact that instead of adapting Lilo in the anime version they added a new character and essentially told the same store with a Japanese girl.

The real problem with replacing Lilo with Yuna for me was that you took this chubby little oddball girl who spoke for a quiet minority in animation and Disney films and replaced her with a conventionally cute tomboy character who we see A LOT of.

And I think that might be what Japan didn't like about Lilo. She wasn't someone they tried to put in their animes/animation. Not because she was broken, but because she was far from their traditional image of a hero character.
But as has literally just been said, "Broken Child" is one of the most commonly used hero tropes in Japanese media, specifically those marketed towards kids, such as Naruto and Gundam.

Japan doesn't have any noted dislike towards Lilo. Also, if you want to be technical...

Lilo is in the Stitch anime, the reason she isn't the "main girl" is because she's grown up and is going to college. The main girl of the Stitch anime is looking after Stitch for her because Lilo can't bring him to college. So they still acknowledge her and even develop her as a character, providing us with a genuinely logical reason as to why she isn't gallivanting around with Stitch anymore.

Plus, they already made a TV series in the West where Lilo was still the main girl anyway. All of Lilo's issues were resolved by the end of the first movie anyway so they're irrelevant to her extended usage in other media.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
But as has literally just been said, "Broken Child" is one of the most commonly used hero tropes in Japanese media, specifically those marketed towards kids, such as Naruto and Gundam.

Japan doesn't have any noted dislike towards Lilo. Also, if you want to be technical...

Lilo is in the Stitch anime, the reason she isn't the "main girl" is because she's grown up and is going to college. The main girl of the Stitch anime is looking after Stitch for her because Lilo can't bring him to college. So they still acknowledge her and even develop her as a character, providing us with a genuinely logical reason as to why she isn't gallivanting around with Stitch anymore.

Plus, they already made a TV series in the West where Lilo was still the main girl anyway. All of Lilo's issues were resolved by the end of the first movie anyway so they're irrelevant to her extended usage in other media.
That's all well and good, but in the strictest terms of animated characters often tend to stay stagnant and not age, especially known ones like Lilo.

The point was that Yuna and later Ai from that Chinese show they have now. Just replace a character who was different with someone who is far more conventional to have in a leading role.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's all well and good, but in the strictest terms of animated characters often tend to stay stagnant and not age, especially known ones like Lilo.

The point was that Yuna and later Ai from that Chinese show they have now. Just replace a character who was different with someone who is far more conventional to have in a leading role.
And they decided to break that norm with Lilo, which is actually commendable.

Personally, I'd rather they replace Lilo with another girl (or boy, it really doesn't matter) than retcon Lilo's development just to make some wacky cartoon adventures and have her re-learn everything. At the end of the day, those shows are about Stitch, not Lilo, and even her "replacement" is much less relevant than Stitch. There's no "Japan hates Lilo" conspiracy here, these just aren't her shows, plain and simple.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Sugar Man I guess, he's also the least interesting of the group I feel.

Not that EVERY character HAS to have emotional baggage, but there's a reason why many characters in fiction do.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel like both animes kind of missed the point still though. Yeah, they continued the story in America with sequels and a TV series, of which I have not watched, mainly because I felt the story of Lilo and Stitch was beautiful and I didn't need to know any more than that that family would stay together forever.

It's neat they tried to continue and show that because of the popularity of the original, I just had no interest in seeing what those stories had to tell because the perfect story about family had already been told in the first film.

And that's what the two animes missed about Lilo and Stitch and made them feel ultimately unnecessary and missing the point.

Lilo and Sitch was about how a family isn't necessarily what you think it's going to be. The film has a repeating mantra of the fact that now that Stitch and Lilo have found one another. Neither will be left behind. Family means that no one ever gets left behind.

This further extends to Pleakely, Jumba, Bubbles, and David by film's end. The ending montage shows that this rag tag group of people have formed their own sense of family and will never leave one another.

Stitch! and Stitch and Ai basically saying ''Okay, after Lilo gets older and goes off to college. She's just going to leave Stitch with other random little girls across the world."

It directly goes against the first film's message and ending.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
looked up Stitch and Ai. Ai looks adorable, imma have to watch this anime

All this reminds me of is when Animal crossing or other fans got up in arms about Spinoff games and shows. They are called spinoffs for a reason. They Spin off

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
What does it mean "Friends Helped"?

n i c e
Not sure either.

My guess is that it's related to Rivals Domains and Grand Conquests. In other words, how many times friends use your character in their brigades.

Could be wrong though. But if I'm right, y'all really love my Grima :V

Last edited:

Chrono.

I feel like both animes kind of missed the point. Yeah, they continued the story in America with sequels and a TV series, of which I have not watched, mainly because I felt the story of Lilo and Stitch was beautiful and I didn't need to know any more than that that family would stay together forever.

It's neat they tried to continue and show that because of the popularity of the original, I just had no interest in seeing what those stories had to tell because the perfect story about family had already been told in the first film.

And that's what the two animes missed about Lilo and Stitch and made them feel ultimately unnecessary and missing the point.

Lilo and Sitch was about how a family isn't necessarily what you think it's going to be. The film has a repeating mantra of the fact that now that Stitch and Lilo have found one another. Neither will be left behind. Family means that no one ever gets left behind.

This further extends to Pleakely, Jumba, Bubbles, and David by film's end. The ending montage shows that this rag tag group of people have form their own sense of family and will never leave one another.

Stitch! and Stitch and Ai basically saying ''Okay, after Lilo gets older and goes off to college. She's just going to leave Stitch with other random little girls across the world."

But Stitch having other friends doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't care or left his old one. It just means he expanded his "family." Lilo and co make appearances in these sequels too from what I've seen.

It's kinda like that in real life too. Eventually you'll move on from your parents, maybe even across the world. But they'll always be family no matter how far away they are.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I feel like both animes kind of missed the point still though. Yeah, they continued the story in America with sequels and a TV series, of which I have not watched, mainly because I felt the story of Lilo and Stitch was beautiful and I didn't need to know any more than that that family would stay together forever.

This further extends to Pleakely, Jumba, Bubbles, and David by film's end. The ending montage shows that this rag tag group of people have formed their own sense of family and will never leave one another.

I don't think that really goes against the film's message at all. I don't know the full context of the characters Lilo leaves Stitch with and why she does, but she isn't leaving Stitch behind or forgetting him. You're always going to have to briefly part ways with your family, that's inevitable. What's important is that you come back for them and don't forget them. Lilo doesn't forget Stitch and does come back for him. So it's still in line with the message of the original film.

At the end of the day though, these cartoons aren't supposed to be taken too seriously. They're there market Stitch specifically since he's still a big mascot.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn

These are the 3 main characters in my comic book series:

Thunderhead: She is a short white teen girl who gets hit by a lightning strike and she slowly gets the powers of cloud creation, electricity and water based powers.

Hourglass: She is a taller black teen girl (I haven’t figured out how she gets her powers yet). She has sand bending powers. She also has glass bending powers(I mean she can control glass that is around her not that she can just bend glass). She also can make a field of effect around her that slows or speeds up time if she has sand on her.

Packrat: He is a tall white male in his 30’s. He has no super powers. He has a backpack that can store an infinite amount of items(as long as they could believably fit in the back pack. He’s pretty much Batman if he had the income of a common person.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But Stitch having other friends doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't care or left his old one. It just means he expanded his "family." Lilo and co make appearances in these sequels too from what I've seen.

It's kinda like that in real life too. Eventually you'll move on from your parents, maybe even across the world. But they'll always be family no matter how far away they are.
Stitch! begins with Stitch leaving Lilo and being a little **** again, his motivation in that show is to rule the galaxy after being blessed by a god who rewards good deeds iirc. They also made Stitch a LOT more of a eater iirc

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of the extended canon of Lilo and Stitch, from what I've seen Japan kind of adores Angel, of all characters. For those that didn't watch the series, she was experiment 624 and had basically siren powers turned up to eleven, being able to use her voice to control any of the previous experiments (leaving only 625 and Stitch immune because Jumbaa didn't care about forwards compatibility). Basically she became Stitch's love interest.

But it's just neat, I think, that she's pretty much the only character from Lilo and Stitch: The Series that stayed lastingly popular, to the point where she's the only Disney spin off character to appear in Disney Magic Kingdoms, Disney's park building mobile game.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn

These are the 3 main characters in my comic book series:

Thunderhead: She is a short white teen girl who gets hit by a lightning strike and she slowly gets the powers of cloud creation, electricity and water based powers.

Hourglass: She is a taller black teen girl (I haven’t figured out how she gets her powers yet). She has sand bending powers. She also has glass bending powers(I mean she can control glass that is around her not that she can just bend glass). She also can make a field of effect around her that slows or speeds up time if she has sand on her.

Packrat: He is a tall white male in his 30’s. He has no super powers. He has a backpack that can store an infinite amount of items(as long as they could believably fit in the back pack. He’s pretty much Batman if he had the income of a common person.
I'd like to see Thunderhead and Hourglass be really bad at fighting while Packrat is the badass normie that's basically their combat teacher.

Then again, you said he was Batman on a budget, so I'm sure the whole "badass fighter" part was already thought of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom