• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
Unpopular opinion: BlazBlue Cross Tag Hallabalooh is overrated.

It's only beloved because it's better than Marvel Infinite yet ironically has even worse DLC practices behind it. The base roster is so bad that it even makes Street Fighter V's looks good. Before someone says "Play the demo," I skipped it on purpose since I knew the gameplay would be no different from BlazBlue.

Besides, we all know Smash is the king of fighters. And if we want count traditional fighters, Dragon Ball FighterZ trumps it.
thank you

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The Narrator of Dragon Ball/Z/Super in the Latin American Dub passed away today.

The next season/series is going to feel so empty without him.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wait, someone agrees with me?

I guess I am not the only one that feels that way after all.
No one is the only one.

Even fans that are interested in the game hates the DLC expenses as well. But nothing will top all the money spent to get ALL Smash 4 DLC.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No one is the only one.

Even fans that are interested in the game hates the DLC expenses as well. But nothing will top all the money spent to get ALL Smash 4 DLC.
It was practically like buying the game twice. I did get all the DLC for both versions. No regrets, but eh.

Chrono.

No Blanco but this was pretty good.
INT Frieza is one the best units rn but I don't have much of a place for him atm.

Gonna come in handy for those Potara Medals though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It was practically like buying the game twice. I did get all the DLC for both versions. No regrets, but eh.
Won't surprise me if a good fraction of the Smash fandom did the same thing.

So much money blown away on characters, stages, and Mii Fighter costumes. Especially the latter since who cares about the Miis?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

So much money blown away on characters, stages, and Mii Fighter costumes. Especially the latter since who cares about the Miis?
To be fair, Miis are super popular. And I really liked the costumes. The Viridi costume allowed me to make a decent alternate Brian build. I do wish we got a Ridley costume, though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Insert "But I main the Miis and dress them up" comment here.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I love the part where Blazblue had a dedicated universal overhead button, tags and assists. I love how CTB keeps a button for their drives, keeps the barrier mechanic and has charge motions and 720 motions instead of keeping it simple.

Oh wait.

The DLC practice is bad but the game isn't released at full price. It's barely more than normal price in total when you have all characters.

If you're gonna have an opinion then at least be informed properly

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
To be fair, Miis are super popular. And I really liked the costumes. The Viridi costume allowed me to make a decent alternate Brian build. I do wish we got a Ridley costume, though.
The lack of a Ridley costume was still odd.

He IS the most popular and most wanted Smash newcomer next to K Rool.

I guess things like the wings and tail would had looked too silly for a costume.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The lack of a Ridley costume was still odd.

He IS the most popular and most wanted Smash newcomer next to K Rool.

I guess things like the wings and tail would had looked too silly for a costume.
At least the Dragon costume sufficed. Not the same though.

On another note, Daisy is a costume in Smash. Twice!

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Unpopular opinion: BlazBlue Cross Tag Hallabalooh is overrated.

It's only beloved because it's better than Marvel Infinite yet ironically has even worse DLC practices behind it. The base roster is so bad that it even makes Street Fighter V's looks good. Before someone says "Play the demo," I skipped it on purpose since I knew the gameplay would be no different from BlazBlue.

Besides, we all know Smash is the king of fighters. And if we want count traditional fighters, Dragon Ball FighterZ trumps it.
thats a ****ing bad take if i ever heard one, the characters actively play ntohign like they do in blazblue to the point the competitive scene had to say "dont play characters you like or else youll be upset"

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I STILL want the Ridley costume. If we can have Bad Box Art Mega Man in Street Fighter x Tekken, who looks goofy as hell, then we can have a silly purple dragon costume for our Miis.

On another note, Daisy is a costume in Smash. Twice!
How to trigger the "Forbidden One" in one sentence.

thats a ****ing bad take if i ever heard one, the characters actively play ntohign like they do in blazblue to the point the competitive scene had to say "dont play characters you like or else youll be upset"
So if I play the game, all the BlazBlue characters will be nerfed?

If I were to choose one fighting game for the year, I would take Smash Switch over BBCTB any day.

Better roster, more hype, and the franchise has MORE history in comparison.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
So.
Real talk for E3.
:4olimar:
Where the peck is Pikmin 4, Miyamoto?
"Nearly complete" for 2 and a half years now.
It’s called Hey Pikmin, the sequel everyone wanted! On a related note, it still blows my mind how amazing a finale to the Animal Crossing series Amiibo Festival was. It’s a shame we’re not getting any more console titles but what a great way to cap it off

Ivander

Smash Legend
I bought the characters and stages for both. I also did buy some Mii costumes, but not all of them. Only the ones I was very interested in, like the Black Knight costume, the Monster Hunter costumes, Geno, Lloyd, ProtoMan, Megaman.EXE, Viridi and Dunban. I may have gotten a couple others, but I can't remember at the moment. But regardless, I simply bought the costumes I wanted as I refused to pay a whole bunch for the whole set that included costumes I didn't want or felt were cheap, like the Link, Samus, Fox and Captain Falcon outfits.

If Mii Costumes come back, I hope most of them or at least the cheap ones are put into the game by default.

Oh, doesn't help that I'm from Canada where the prices are frickin' insane. To give the general idea, just getting both the characters and stages for both systems was about $70-$75. If I paid for all of the Mii Costumes as well, that would've been an additional $50-$60. That equals about $130. And I don't think that even includes tax.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I STILL want the Ridley costume. If we can have Bad Box Art Mega Man in Street Fighter x Tekken, who looks goofy as hell, then we can have a silly purple dragon costume for our Miis.
If we can have Bad Box Art Mega Man in Street Fighter x Tekken, then we can have a silly purple dragon costume for our Miis.
f we can have Bad Box Art Mega Man in Street Fighter x Tekken
Bad Box Art Mega Man
We do not speak of one of Capcom's biggest mistakes ever.

It still hurts us Mega Man fans to this day.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

If I were to choose one fighting game for the year, I would take Smash Switch over BBCTB any day.

No, they just play differently by virtue of the simple inputs. Tager is amazing here but he's **** in the main games.

I'd hope Smash has a better roster, more hype and history considering how long it's been around

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

How to trigger the "Forbidden One" in one sentence.

It isn't that Blazblue characters got nerfed, it's that they don't feel like their previous incarnations? Think Juri from Street Fighter, she plays completely differently and with a new gimmick in V to the point loads of fans don't like playing her anymore

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So if those Pokemon leaks are real, it sounds pretty underwhelming, honestly.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If Smash gives me Rayman, I would shower Sakurai with gold.

If we get a Rabbid, then I will cancel the preorder.

It isn't that Blazblue characters got nerfed, it's that they don't feel like their previous incarnations? Think Juri from Street Fighter, she plays completely differently and with a new gimmick in V to the point loads of fans don't like playing her anymore
Oooooooh. So it's more like how Jill playes like the perfect homage to Resident Evil with zoning in Marvel vs Capcom 2 and became a discount Nina Williams with a rushdown fighting style just to fit her Resident Evil 5 counterpart.

But the idea that they made Tager better is kind of drawing me in. Damn it with my Tager fanboyism.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Also, I thought BBA Mega Man wasn't exactly a bad idea. Kind of funny, even if I would have preferred a legit Mega Man and Pac-Man in SFxTK instead. But it had the WORST timing ever. Not having a Mega Man in Marvel 3, Legends 3 and MM Universe getting canned and Inafune leaving. Which made it feel more insulting than just a weird crossover idea.

But Capcom was ****ing up in a lot of ways at the time. SFxTK DLC issues, Okamiden releasing at nearly the same time as the 3DS itself AND a new Pokemon game. Basically everything surrounding DmC: Devil May Cry.

Mind you, if the BBA thing happened a couple years earlier, like before Mega Man 10 came out or so, it'd been a non-issue. Hell he was gonna be in Mega Man Universe, and people didn't mind.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
...I like that design. Still better than the Captain N one. Albeit, Roll looks pretty nice in the BBA style.
I know it was meant to be a joke, but it hurts knowing that Capcom's beloved mascot was reduced to a middle aged fratboy cosplaying as Mega Man with a mediocre moveset to the boot.

Agreed, far better than Derp Mega Man.

Also, I thought BBA Mega Man wasn't exactly a bad idea. Kind of funny, even if I would have preferred a legit Mega Man and Pac-Man in SFxTK instead. But it had the WORST timing ever. Not having a Mega Man in Marvel 3, Legends 3 and MM Universe getting canned and Inafune leaving. Which made it feel more insulting than just a weird crossover idea.

But Capcom was ****ing up in a lot of ways at the time. SFxTK DLC issues, Okamiden releasing at nearly the same time as the 3DS itself AND a new Pokemon game. Basically everything surrounding DmC: Devil May Cry.

Mind you, if the BBA thing happened a couple years earlier, like before Mega Man 10 came out or so, it'd been a non-issue. Hell he was gonna be in Mega Man Universe, and people didn't mind.
Ah DmC, the one game that turned Dante into the most edgy unlikeable piece of **** ever.

Even Shadow the Hedgehog has more charm than him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ah DmC, the one game that turned Dante into the most edgy unlikeable piece of **** ever.

Replace Shadow with Silver or Infinite and the point still stands.

Even the the most controversial Sonic character is tolerable compared to Donte.

Except for Chris and Elise. Those two might as well be related to him.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
New FEH Banana featuring Camilla, Corndude and Clair.

Free pull gave me +HP-Res Cordelia

>The rest of the orbs are green
ew, no

Yeah, I'll happily avoid this Banner :V

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Replace Shadow with Silver or Infinite and the point still stands.

Even the the most controversial Sonic character is tolerable compared to Donte.

Except for Chris and Elise. Those two might as well be related to him.
Infinite vs DmC Dante.

The battle of the edge.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a question for you guys.

Are gamers too critical?

Do we spend so much time focusing on the flaws of a game that we force ourselves to not enjoy it when we normally would?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Are gamers too critical?

Do we spend so much time focusing on the flaws of a game that we force ourselves to not enjoy it when we normally would?
Eh, Probably. Nowadays, it seems easier to pick something apart than it is to honestly enjoy it. But being critical at least shows that people care about the content. Though personally I see more of a divide between the many people in the community rather than anything else. I feel like I've seen too many people try to act like they are better than everyone else for liking this or that or what have you.

At the end of the day, I still like what I like, I know Mega Man X6 isn't a great game by any means, but I still enjoyed playing, so I'd call it a guilty pleasure of sorts. I've seen people fairly disappointed with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire too, and I thought those were good games honestly.

I know it was meant to be a joke, but it hurts knowing that Capcom's beloved mascot was reduced to a middle aged fratboy cosplaying as Mega Man with a mediocre moveset to the boot.

Agreed, far better than Derp Mega Man.

At the end of DmC, Donte he was much less of an edgelord. Which was supposed to be the whole point of his character in that game's narrative. He was going to be even edgier, but Capcom backed down from it. They should have backed down from re-booting it entirely and focus on improving what they set up in DMC4, though I get they were worried about people being tired of the series.

Still worse than OG Dante, a fun-loving over the top guy who can still manage to have some emotion without it feeling too forced.

We need Uncle Dante back.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

Are gamers too critical?

I'll keep it simple: Yes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ah hell yeah! I did it

I figured out how to use the coin case glitch to turn any pokemon shiny!

Edit:

"LEGAL" Shiny Mewtwo, Shiny Legendary Beasts, Shiny Legendary Birds, Shiny Celebi

Only not legal shiny mew because I am not going to attempt to get the right Trainer ID to be able to transfer it

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Are gamers too critical?

No. Most I see want to avoid criticism altogether and try to filter it out. And when they are "critical", it's not genuine criticism, but rather just overly particular expectations rather than specifically critiquing what game they are playing and it's specific mechanics and features.

I wish people knew how to be a little more objective.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh boy BBTAG? Oh man I have a whole thing about that. Let my copy paste from a Discord I'm on.
Sub from a Discord said:
So, the thing that bugs me about Cross Tag Battle, and I think what makes it go from okay to garbo, is that essentially, it's retail mugen. Here's what I mean. Like, understand, 90% of this game is essentially assets taken from the other games. Like honestly, you could replicate Cross Tag Battle in Mugen with little stopping you. The sprites, the effects, the sounds, you can find all that already. You could make a better game using the exact same resources, and it'd be for free. And yeah there's the RWBY characters, but they're like 4 new sprites in a game with around 40 characters. And the two new sprites and assets newly made for this game only? Free DLC.

Meanwhile the content that has existed in other games for years and have essentially been hackjobbed into a diet anime fighter? About 30 bucks. That's 3/4ths the retail price. You are essentially buying the game twice just to get more reused assets. With that same amount of money you can get Mario Odyssey, and still have like 10 or so bucks left over.
Like, I love Arcsys and all, they know how to make good games. But I'm essentially buying their recyclables. This is some Mugen passion project I could've gotten for nothing.

Most of the characters don't play like they do. Every character I've talked about I've always seen someone say "oh they're so much fun in this game". Like essentially I should just be playing Central Fiction, or Unist, or Persona 4 Arena. Because every character I've played feels shallow and repetitive, which makes sense because they are store brand knock-off versions of themselves.

The thing I found hilarious about the comboing is that intricate combos aren't the way to go for Tag. The smart combos are actually better that trying to do any fancy schmancy combo. Like with Nu-13 all I needed with the B combo. You can mash your way through the game and it's fine, it's optimal. I was able to completely dominate matches at times by just Gordeauing and sending in Nu-13 when I had to. But like the other thing I found was a fun mixup with Ragna. That essentially used his 5B as a launcher and you could do small but fun Marvel-Like combos. Turns out the mechanics make it to where air combos aren't actually that good.
You can either combo break it, or like nothing goes into it afterwords. There's jumping C, but it's weird whether you can connect it into a Distortion or not. It feels like you need to be a certain height for it to input.
Basically Tl;Dr it's a fun casual romp. But I'd be lying if I called it a good representation of an Anime fighter. Hell I'd argue even as a gateway into anime fighters it doesn't do the series justice. Hell DBFZ does what BBTAG could've (and honestly should've) done but didn't sacrifice the depth a lot of anime fighters have.

Honestly the more frustrating is trying to figure out which audience it wants. Because it's clearly trying to go for a more casual anime gaming audience with RWBY and potentially Senran Kagura, but then also wants to bring in the hardcore anime fighting game fanbase with Unist and Blazblue, two fighting games basically unknown outside of being stupid complicated.

Side note, I played 10 or so hours of that demo. Both offline and online.
I mained Gordeau and Nu-13.

Edit: Right should mention something about the combos.
It's... it's button mashing. I never thought I'd say this for a fighting game but button mashing is the most optimal route. The game is built around mashing. Like even DBFZ wasn't this bad about autocomboing being the best thing in the game. Smash has deeper combos.

Are gamers too critical?

I feel like there's definitely an argument for this, but at the same time I don't think there's a bad thing with criticism. Honestly the bigger case I've seen is an overt defensiveness towards media; this us vs. them mentality that something is either perfect or the spawn of Satan. Which is a horrible way to look at any media, it's unhealthy to blindly see something as just good or bad. Yes I'll certainly critique games, but I don't do it because I hate video games or am "too salty". I do it because I want to see gaming do better, and there are certain aspects we've fallen in. I can still enjoy something while also acknowledging the faults in the product.

Look at Smash for example. It's one of my favorite fighting game series, but I can tell you it's not perfect. It's a toss between party game and fighting game every installation, the balancing is utterly atrocious, we still get a power creep of the top tiers being absolutely perfect and lower tiers being useless at best, and any attempts at depth seem to be whisked away or patched out, if changed at all (Jiggs).
But I can still say all that and still enjoy the games. You don't have to agree with every point I make, but I at least hope you don't see this as an attack on Smash or me being hostile. Which is, again, something I see a lot of gamers do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are gamers too critical?

I'll put another topic following this one:

Do you think previous console generations should have lasted longer?

Like, should we have still stayed in the PS2-XBox-GCN era today?

Last edited by a moderator:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Are gamers too critical?

Sometimes I think it's just assholes being way too cynical for their own good.

Other times, I do think people can be too critical. I once saw a Zelda discussion on people's favourite entry which just devolved into angry monkeys slinging their own dung at each other because there seemed to be an innate need to write essays on why people's opinions are wrong. I would have been less annoyed if there was some actual constructive criticism but the complaints were on things like the amount of frames in Link's attack. Like how ****ing anal retentive do you have to be to pick up such unnoticeable aspects like that to develop your angry forum posts on why your favourite is mightier than the other person's?

So yeah, there's not just a problem with focusing on flaws but there seems to be a need to find flaws and make them bigger than what they are.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
After all my problems with getting a shiny Lugia, I decided not to use it because I tested the shininess out on Xatu, and the only reason I was going to use Lugia was because I couldn't get a shiny male Xatu. Since I have one, I don't really need to use Lugia.

D

Deleted member

Are gamers too critical?

Here is my stance:
Yes, we do.
This is also a trend in movies as well. People love to look at the bad side of the games, because and reasons why it is bad gets much more attention than why it is great. So expect a lot of bad reviews made by gamers for attention, focusing on the flaws. People really need to appreciate the factor of positivity and how much of a better gift it is than negativity. Sure, people get a more interesting reaction dealing with negative subjects at hand than positive ones, but.... still.... Positivity is important.

D

Deleted member

BBCTB's problem is certainly not its gameplay, it has solely to do with the DLC practices and roster imbalance.

I think there's a huge boner in the fighting game community for "deep combo 2D games" where all that matters are if the game has a wide gap between casual and competitive players and if the game doesn't do that it's bad. Literally any game that doesn't focus on a "press buttons in specific order to combo" gets **** for being "shallow" or "repetitive", regardless of its own actual strengths. All it looks like is whining that the game isn't like the ones they're used to play and that it doesn't pander to the way they think a fighting game should be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom