• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Vr is not going to last i give it like another 2 years before it gets dropped
its a money pit for non gamers who want to show there friends the cool thing they got

also why are we comparing the switch a system that isnt out to the lifetime sales of every other nintendo system and saying thats why it will fail?
You got any reasons why you believe this?

Really, the main issue with VR is that it takes a lot of power and equipment to set up. But it's not going to die off soon. There's already been tons of games and applications that show off what VR can do. It's more a matter of when will VR become a more stable option rather than, "when will it die?"

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Kimishima confirmed the Switch's online service will cost 17.50-26.50 bucks a year, converted from yen of course. Aren't XBL and PSN 60 a year?
ok, thats good right there. better then Xboxs 60 for a year. I may actually pay for online now
Nintendo ACTUALLY did a Super Bowl commercial?!
That isnt the first one. They did a pokemon Super bowl ad before
Aw yis, I have proven to be the ultimate Gweninja on the online fees. You guys just aren't Dandy enough
you're not Space Dandy, so you aint dandy at all

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Worst part is that there are probably people that are serious about it
I'm reading the NeoGAF thread for the pricing right now and half of them are relieved and the other half are calling the first half lemmings and bashing Nintendo for even charging for online at all while mocking the feature set Nintendo revealed and Nintendo's past online services and in a couple of cases just outright making false assumptions.

So yeah, probably.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
That's honestly good, because VR can be translated as "Privilege goggles", you need lots of money for it and it can be bad for the eyes depending on the person, so that's less potential VR players
That's how I view VR currently...pretty much just an overpriced pair of goggles...

People are raving about VR being the future of gaming, yet it's pretty much an overpriced gimmick at this point...
Yet they wouldn't hesitate to criticize Nintendo for their gimmicks, even though it wouldn't cost as much as a new system on it's own...

While of course there are some games I wouldn't mind VR (Metroid Prime) I can't see myself using it for extended periods of time...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Scrooge is heading to Death Battle next.

Hopefully his opponent is anything but Shovel Knight.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You got any reasons why you believe this?

Really, the main issue with VR is that it takes a lot of power and equipment to set up. But it's not going to die off soon. There's already been tons of games and applications that show off what VR can do. It's more a matter of when will VR become a more stable option rather than, "when will it die?"
I think it's niche.
Do you want to watch games on a large TV screen or on a headset?

Besides the prohibitive price, I'm worried that it might fall into the same trap as motion controls. Anything that uses movement from a human body as input is going to be less precise than a digital control option.

So that means traditional control schemes will remain the main way to play for dedicated gamers. Which in turn makes VR simply a different way to immerse yourself into a game, not a new way to play games altogether.

And that makes it an optional feature which can go either way depending on the developer, as VR not only needs more powerful hardware to play, it also increases development costs.

I think it won't die, but adoption across the industry is going to take years at the very least. I don't expect widespread VR before 2025.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm reading the NeoGAF thread for the pricing right now and half of them are relieved and the other half are calling the first half lemmings and bashing Nintendo for even charging for online at all while mocking the feature set Nintendo revealed and Nintendo's past online services and in a couple of cases just outright making false assumptions.

So yeah, probably.
well yeah, i dont like the fact they are paying for online but 26 bucks a year is better then 60 a year and Id gladly take the 26.50

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Also pretty glad to hear the pricing for the online service...that's just over two bucks a month...

Just need to see how much it actually improved from the Wii brand's online services...because even though it's relatively cheap, I'm just wondering if it's service will actually hold up...

But as I mentioned it's free for the first few months so we'll get an idea of how it will fair before we have to pay for it...I just wonder though, if eshop downloads are not going to be linked to the console anymore but actually linked to an account...

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I think it's niche.
Do you want to watch games on a large TV screen or on a headset?

Besides the prohibitive price, I'm worried that it might fall into the same trap as motion controls. Anything that uses movement from a human body as input is going to be less precise than a digital control option.

So that means traditional control schemes will remain the main way to play for dedicated gamers. Which in turn makes VR simply a different way to immerse yourself into a game, not a new way to play games altogether.

And that makes it an optional feature which can go either way depending on the developer, as VR not only needs more powerful hardware to play, it also increases development costs.

I think it won't die, but adoption across the industry is going to take years at the very least. I don't expect widespread VR before 2025.
That's what I see. Maybe not as late as 2025, but I definitely see it being a gradual thing rather than a boom like the Wii.

And in that time we'll probably figure out new and improved ways to experience it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
well yeah, i dont like the fact they are paying online but 26 bucks a year is better then 60 a year and Id gladly take the 26.50
That's pretty much my sentiment.

Paying the price of a full game for online would have been a bit scary, so paying significantly less than that is at least worth breathing a sigh of relief even if it's not the perfection of free. Disaster scenario averted, basically. If we're already stuck paying for online, may as well pay something a bit more affordable.

And I'm willing to at least give the one month classic game rentage a shot since they're actually going to the trouble of modifying those games to have online play. Most of them probably wouldn't be the kind of games I would normally pick up but would probably still be higher quality than just dumping random Eshop fodder on me, so hey, why not at least try them?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Say, why is the online price posted as range?
($17.50 to $26.50)
Probably not finalized or a PREMIUM premium subscription
Also lol I found out Matpat ****ed up badly in a Pokemon Go theory video by saying Razz Berries are rare in XY and BW based on their description. XY's description says "they're rare in Unova". He also shrugged the anime as 'questionable canonicity' but later used it as a source despite how it heavily debunked a previous point.
But after all, they can't say you're full of **** if you say it's just a theory

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That's how I view VR currently...pretty much just an overpriced pair of goggles...

People are raving about VR being the future of gaming, yet it's pretty much an overpriced gimmick at this point...
Yet they wouldn't hesitate to criticize Nintendo for their gimmicks, even though it wouldn't cost as much as a new system on it's own...

While of course there are some games I wouldn't mind VR (Metroid Prime) I can't see myself using it for extended periods of time...
Pretty much this.

Nintendo knows this. Until they can actually make a unique game for VR, they aren't touching it.

Say, why is the online price posted as range?
($17.50 to $26.50)
Likely to account for regional differences.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't get anarcho capitalists

They still want courts and jails, they just want them to be privately owned

Privately owned courts. That sounds fair and balanced.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I don't get anarchy anything.

But I guess it's just something I have to educate myself on before passing judgement.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Let me know when this happens, Imma deal out some justice.

D

Deleted member

I don't have any plans to buy the Switch at the moment and even if I had, I sure wouldn't be paying for online
Yeah yeah, it's cheaper than other consoles but here the price would likely be around R$60,00 for year. And that's assuming Nintendo would even bring back the brazilian EShop, otherwise I'll have no means to even pay it.

I'm of the belief that if you're gonna implement an anarchy, you need to go full out with it, no property or government. Go big or go home. What are you, a *****?
I'd say it would fall quickly but there wouldn't be anything to fall

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Privately owned police forces with privately owned courts and jails

Anarcho Capitalists believe in having EVERYTHING up to the free market.

In other words, imagine different groups of cops competing against each other

I imagine one possibility is that private police would act more like enforcers, private military, or mercenaries. There is also the fact mercenaries don't really put their life on the line for their job unless the pay is good enough.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

Hold up a stinking second, isn't one of the biggest criticisms against USA Jails, is that they're privately owned, and don't focus on rehabilitation like their supposed to?

Cause that idea sounds incredibly stupid.

Straight up Jails are something that I feel 100% should be run by Governments, so that they actually focus on reforming criminals so they don't commit another crime

And we all know what would happen if courts are privately owned, just how many unjust lawsuits would get through?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hold up a stinking second, isn't one of the biggest criticisms against USA Jails, is that they're privately owned, and don't focus on rehabilitation like their supposed to?

Straight up Jails are something that I feel 100% should be run by Governments, so that they actually focus on reforming criminals so they don't commit another crime

And we all know what would happen if courts are privately owned, just how many unjust lawsuits would get through?
Another problem I see is that if one court doesn't acknowledge your case all you have to do is find it's rival company

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Privately owned police forces with privately owned courts and jails

Anarcho Capitalists believe in having EVERYTHING up to the free market.

In other words, imagine different groups of cops competing against each other

I imagine one possibility is that private police would act more like enforcers, private military, or mercenaries. There is also the fact mercenaries don't really put their life on the line for their job unless the pay is good enough.
Well, that sounds like a disaster, the point of a police force is to protect and serve, not compete against each other to protect the public.

Another problem I see is that if one court doesn't acknowledge your case all you have to do is find it's rival company
Well, all this goes to prove that the best kind of government is one that is near the center, not one that goes far right, or far left, cause both lead to oppression, just different kinds.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

No, the majority of jails aren't privately owned. But the ones that are have lower quality than the government ones

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I. . .I think Nintendo payed for fourth quarter ad placing upon reading the NeoGAF topic for the Superbowl ad a few pages.

Since I saw someone on NeoGAF who wasn't American had asked what that means, I'll explain just in case. Fourth quarter is the final quarter of an American Football game's time and usually the part people pay the most attention to. It's also the part advertisers have to pay the most for.

In other words, Nintendo paid for a more expensive spot at an already expensive event in order to get more views.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

No, the majority of jails aren't privately owned. But the ones that are have lower quality than the government ones
Well I more meant, one huge criticism that USA Jailing system gets is that it has private own jails, since its shown that they don't all work.

Also, I maybe looking for the wrong wording, maybe its not private owned Jails, but its For Profit Jails.

I think the US government leases out buildings owned by private companies or something like that.
I'll leave it at that, since I don't know much about the USA Jailing system, all I know is that its criticised for not probably rehabilitating its prisoners so they don't recommit crimes, but that criticism applies to a lot of jailing systems.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So I just saw GameXplain's video about the Switch's online service.

I was a bit surprised that the range of what you'd have to pay every year is estimated between 20 and 30 bucks. I honestly expected worse, but I'm okay with this over having to pay 60 bucks for PlayStation or XBox online services every year. Then again, I guess it's because there are more child friendly games on Nintendo stuff. If Nintendo thinks they can get by with only charging half as much as Sony or Microsoft for online features, more people with Switches might buy into it, so I'd say it helps them more than it hurts them.

Then of course they talked about VR, but personally, I'm not interested in that.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
anarchism advocates for a stateless, classless society to quench disparities so that the world may be more equitable

anarcho-capitalism abandons this ideal for "let the rich get richer" bull**** while the gvmnt is utterly powerless to intervene

anyways, I saw this and I'm speechless

There was a problem fetching the tweet

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't get anarcho-anything either. It feels like a recipe for a "might makes right" system. Ties in to the "Bomb throwing anarchists" trope, I suppose.

Anyway, anarchy can only really function at a local scale, where it's okay to let the people decide on the what the rules will be rather than leaving it to the government. It's just another form of regional autonomy. Doesn't work at higher levels though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
But what the heck is Anarcho Communists?

How the heck can you have a communist state without government control?

D

Deleted member

If even a cheapskate like me finds it cheap, then yeah, good job, Ninty.
I can see myself paying for that. Hopefully this means paid online will be better though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom