• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So...

Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta were stated to be the last Smash series amiibo.

No Smash 4 + port?
I doubt it means anything. They could easily be like "Here's the Smash Series 2 amiibo"

And that it just means this first set is done. Plus it could be just a statement so that people don't starting overhyping the port( or more then they have).

I really don't see it meaning anything though.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I don't know if this was posted yet but :4corrinf: & Skyward Sword Link amiibo are both Amazon exclusive

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So...

Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta were stated to be the last Smash series amiibo.

No Smash 4 + port?
That is possible. Lies are possible. And the port being re-branded is also possible.

edit: Oh and don't forget the possibility of the port just not having new characters, right.

Last edited:

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Perhaps because it's a demand they find to be negligible or not part of their plan.

This is of course all just speculation. But judging by the fact that they didn't push too many shipments and shut it down after the Switch released, it doesn't seem like it was ever meant to be a long term thing regardless of the demand.
Was probably made just to keep stock holders happy until the Switch came out. Wouldn't surprise me if they were taking a hit when making them (as per most consoles) and they were worried about devaluing the original ROMs (VC sales & system hacking).

Still for plenty of reasons there should have a been enough incentives based on pre-established market trends/common sense to have kept these in production for a longer period of time or have had more at launch. This is disappointing and a disservice to fans more than anything.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I have 29 shrines left.

Is the Gut Check challenge one hard? For some reason I'm nervous about that one.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Kinda hit a wall in terms of what I can do in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe right now. There's no way for me to get more Gem Apples right now and I need them to open more missions.

Not a fan of this system. I think this game should have been handled like Super Mario Run if they weren't going to give it online play (play some levels for free and pay to unlock the rest). I mean, they said it was free-to-start, but that's not really what we have here, this is just F2P/P2W. Except the micro-transactions don't work yet.

Here is my progress so far anyway.

IMG_20170413_213557.jpg

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Kinda hit a wall in terms of what I can do in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe right now. There's no way for me to get more Gem Apples right now and I need them to open more missions.

Not a fan of this system. I think this game should have been handled like Super Mario Run if they weren't going to give it online play (play some levels for free and pay to unlock the rest). I mean, they said it was free-to-start, but that's not really what we have here, this is just F2P/P2W. Except the micro-transactions don't work yet.

Here is my progress so far anyway.

View attachment 127918
Not trying to sound like a fangirl, but are you sure there are no more heroic missions to do? There's even stuff as mundane as accessing the eshop from the options menu, or sharing an image

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not trying to sound like a fangirl, but are you sure there are no more heroic missions to do? There's even stuff as mundane as accessing the eshop from the options menu, or sharing an image
I did those two just before I made that post, actually (that's where the image came from, lol).

But yeah, nothing I can really do right now. Stamina has to recharge. And the only missions I could feasibly do right now are the tedious ones like "Clear quests X amount of times" and "Get a total High Score of XXXXX".

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, my Awakening write up. Took me a few hours to write.

Gameplay: Not much to say here other than that the pair up system feels rather primitive once you're used to the superior version used in Fates.

Music: The music in Fire Emblem Awakening is, in a word, solid. This is one point most everyone will agree on. It is on the same high standards as the rest of the series. My favourites are Prelude (Ablaze), Id (Purpose) and Conquest.

Map Design: This is unfortunately one place where I have to agree with the game's critics. While the maps do attempt to give different flavours depending on the location of the chapter, the variations in them are simply not significant enough to merit a different strategy from the player. Add this the extremely limited set of objectives - literally only "Rout the enemy" and "Defeat the Commander", so there is basically no incentive for the player to do anything besides grind up and kill 'em all.

Plot Setting: Awakening does a decent job at world building. The continent of Ylisse is quite fleshed out with Ylisse, Ferox and Plegia taking up unequal amounts of land and having their own way of ruling. Valm was rather weak though. The only things you can deduce are there are East Asian styled dynasts (based on Say'ri and Yen'fay) as well as European style Rosanne on the continent. So a missed opportunity there. Still miles better than Fates.

Story: [SPOILER WARNING]
Awakening has received some controversy over its story, and while it's certainly not the best storyteller out there, it's story is actually quite par. It's coherent, and you can make sense of what's going on. The story is basically three mini-plots in sequence with Gangrel, Walhart and Grima as the the bosses of each part. That's fine, but the problem arises when the game tries to build Grima as the final boss, but the foreshadowings and hints it drops have no immediate consequence on what's going on, so they don't really tie the whole thing together.

The sub-plots by themselves are fine and quite well-written, and the villains are okay (Gangrel in particular is pretty entertaining), but the sum total is a bit underwhelming as no villain gets enough focus to leave that much of an impact.

Characters: Ah, the other thing Awakening often gets criticised for. Overall, the game focuses only on a handful of characters - most importantly on the dynamic of Chrom and Robin, and to a lesser extent Frederick, Lissa, Say'ri, Lucina, Flavia and Basilio. Outside these eight characters, others don't get much (if any) screen time other than their initial appearance, which is a bit short to get the player to care. The obvious remedy to that is support conversations, but even they focus too much on the character's single defining trait. (Lon'qu being afraid of women, Sumia always tripping, etc.) Of course, there are exceptions to this, most notably Virion.

The other issue I had with the games is the unnecessarily sexualised designs of some female characters - notably Cherche, Tharja, Nowi and Olivia. It's not much of an issue in-game as the game won't let you ogle them, but it's still a sore point.

Though, on the positive side, the eight characters I mentioned are treated well. Not all of them undergo character development, but are certainly presented in a way to get the player to like them and care about them. The relationship between Chrom and Robin, in particular, is where the game truly shines. True companions to the end. Two halves of a whole, as they like to put it. (I actually regretted not marrying my Robin to Chrom.)

As an aside, I chose the ending where Robin gets the final blow on Grima and the following cutscene actually moved me to tears. Though it made the credits at the end all the more satisfying.

So, to conclude...
I had gone into Fire Emblem Awakening expecting a mediocre game, and I was quite happy to be proven wrong. While the game does have flaws here and there which make it look weak compared to the games before it, it is still a good entry in the series and an excellent entry point for newcomers. Nintendo and IntSys's strategy obviously worked, as Awakening ended up saving the franchise making it Nintendo's new darling.

Hours sunk into the game: 34

Recommendation: YES

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I did those two just before I made that post, actually (that's where the image came from, lol).

But yeah, nothing I can really do right now. Stamina has to recharge. And the only missions I could feasibly do right now are the tedious ones like "Clear quests X amount of times" and "Get a total High Score of XXXXX".
Question, did you buy the vigour upgrades when you started the game? That's what I did, one point every 5 minutes now and I can upgrade it further if I need to

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Gameplay: Not much to say here other than that the pair up system feels rather primitive once you're used to the superior version used in Fates.

Music: The music in Fire Emblem Awakening is, in a word, solid. This is one point most everyone will agree on. It is on the same high standards as the rest of the series. My favourites are Prelude (Ablaze), Id (Purpose) and Conquest.

Map Design: This is unfortunately one place where I have to agree with the game's critics. While the maps do attempt to give different flavours depending on the location of the chapter, the variations in them are simply not significant enough to merit a different strategy from the player. Add this the extremely limited set of objectives - literally only "Rout the enemy" and "Defeat the Commander", so there is basically no incentive for the player to do anything besides grind up and kill 'em all.

Plot Setting: Awakening does a decent job at world building. The continent of Ylisse is quite fleshed out with Ylisse, Ferox and Plegia taking up unequal amounts of land and having their own way of ruling. Valm was rather weak though. The only things you can deduce are there are East Asian styled dynasts (based on Say'ri and Yen'fay) as well as European style Rosanne on the continent. So a missed opportunity there. Still miles better than Fates.

Awakening has received some controversy over its story, and while it's certainly not the best storyteller out there, it's story is actually quite par. It's coherent, and you can make sense of what's going on. The story is basically three mini-plots in sequence with Gangrel, Walhart and Grima as the the bosses of each part. That's fine, but the problem arises when the game tries to build Grima as the final boss, but the foreshadowings and hints it drops have no immediate consequence on what's going on, so they don't really tie the whole thing together.

The sub-plots by themselves are fine and quite well-written, and the villains are okay (Gangrel in particular is pretty entertaining), but the sum total is a bit underwhelming as no villain gets enough focus to leave that much of an impact.

Characters: Ah, the other thing Awakening often gets criticised for. Overall, the game focuses only on a handful of characters - most importantly on the dynamic of Chrom and Robin, and to a lesser extent Frederick, Lissa, Say'ri, Lucina, Flavia and Basilio. Outside these eight characters, others don't get much (if any) screen time other than their initial appearance, which is a bit short to get the player to care. The obvious remedy to that is support conversations, but even they focus too much on the character's single defining trait. (Lon'qu being afraid of women, Sumia always tripping, etc.) Of course, there are exceptions to this, most notably Virion.

The other issue I had with the games is the unnecessarily sexualised designs of some female characters - notably Cherche, Tharja, Nowi and Olivia. It's not much of an issue in-game as the game won't let you ogle them, but it's still a sore point.

Though, on the positive side, the eight characters I mentioned are treated well. Not all of them undergo character development, but are certainly presented in a way to get the player to like them and care about them. The relationship between Chrom and Robin, in particular, is where the game truly shines. True companions to the end. Two halves of a whole, as they like to put it. (I actually regretted not marrying my Robin to Chrom.)

As an aside, I chose the ending where Robin gets the final blow on Grima and the following cutscene actually moved me to tears. Though it made the credits at the end all the more satisfying.

So, to conclude...
I had gone into Fire Emblem Awakening expecting a mediocre game, and I was quite happy to be proven wrong. While the game does have flaws here and there which make it look weak compared to the games before it, it is still a good entry in the series and an excellent entry point for newcomers. Nintendo and IntSys's strategy obviously worked, as Awakening ended up saving the franchise making it Nintendo's new darling.

I will argue that Olivia's design is justified in that she is a dancer.

I agree with pretty everything else though.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

So, to conclude...

Most characters in an FE don't get screen time unless they are the lords or certain major other characters.

Also Olivia's design makes sense since she is a dancer.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Question, did you buy the vigour upgrades when you started the game? That's what I did, one point every 5 minutes now and I can upgrade it further if I need to
I bought one first thing, but due to how expensive the next one was I've held off and focused on Gear and the Material Codexs instead. It doesn't take too long to charge, it's just that I have no way of getting more Gem Apples without playing the same missions over and over.

A part of me hopes that the Kirby game for Winter is just an expanded version of this concept with online play and actual levels, but still has the RPG mechanics. Because I love the idea of a Kirby action RPG but the F2P stuff and the repetition is holding the concept back for me (and the whole servers not even working).

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Here is a better look at the 4 characters not shown for ARMS in the direct. There are two robots, another girl, and some guy with a mask.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

So, to conclude...

Glad you liked it! Also props for recognizing Virion's greatness. :p

But yeah, I did notice that too, the fact that the only characters who even show up after their recruitment chapter are few and far between.

Chrom, Robin, Lucina, Lissa, Frederick, Virion, Sumia, Say'ri, Basilio, Flavia. And even then Virion and Sumia only show up once (though her being the canonical wife for Chrom gives her a few additional scenes too). That was actually the basis of my latest gimmick run: using only those characters throughout the entire game. :p

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Most characters in an FE don't get screen time unless they are the lords or certain major other characters.

Also Tharja lives in a super hot desert country. I wouldn't expect to her wear much

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also Tharja lives in a super hot desert country. I wouldn't expect to her wear much
I mean, to be fair, Henry and Validar are Plegian as well, and they're much more clothed. :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

About that, Olivia's dress is still more revealing that the previous dancers in the series. Just compare her to Tethys from Sacred Stones.
People in desert countries don't wear black clothes.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
New Sonic character confirmed to be Slim Big by the meme man.
What the guy above me said. And Grima probably gave Valider AC in his castle
I know my avi is Dan the mother****ing man with a plan but eeeeeh I don't like being called guy[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

I know my avi is Dan the mother****ing man with a plan but eeeeeh I don't like being called guy
[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. I didn't know

I'm sure most people don't care about Halo, but as a huge fan, this gets me excited
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-m...k-showcased-during-its-korea-r5-launch-event/

For all we know, it could just be a mistake, or it could be a hint towards Halo 3 Anniversay. It has been 10 years since it's initial release. If true, I sure hope they release it with ODST remastered.
HELL YES I'M PREORDERING THIS SO HARD I LOVE HALO 3 SO MUCH ONE OF MY TOP 5 GAMES

I'm sure most people don't care about Halo, but as a huge fan, this gets me excited
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-m...k-showcased-during-its-korea-r5-launch-event/

For all we know, it could just be a mistake, or it could be a hint towards Halo 3 Anniversay. It has been 10 years since it's initial release. If true, I sure hope they release it with ODST remastered.
Getting a remaster of my favorite game in the series (ODST) and the one I probably played the most (3, although im sure Reach rivals it) that would be great.

Having anyway to play them if they release would be greater though :(

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Sorry about that. I didn't know

HELL YES I'M PREORDERING THIS SO HARD I LOVE HALO 3 SO MUCH ONE OF MY TOP 5 GAMES
What would really make my day is if they announced a Master Chief Collection redo that actually worked, along side H3:Anniversary and full Halo 5 all on PC. I'm craving some hella Halo action, but since I sold my Xbox Ones for a Switch and Halo 5: Forge is very limited (and poorly optimized), I'm out of luck.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>meme lord and meme intern start streaming
>they start playing Sonic Mania
>they pick Green Hill Zone
>"We know you guys have been saying you want more Green Hill Zone, so get ready for 3 hours of Green Hill Zone"
>mfw

sonic_absolute_madman.jpg

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Checking my birthday discounts on My Nintendo.

upload_2017-4-13_23-35-23.png

4 are games I already own.
1 is 1/3 of a game I already own.
1 is a port of a game I already own.
1 is a game with a sequel imminent that will soon make the original obsolete.
1 is a niche game that could have good gameplay but the tone just completely throws it off and it's still expensive even discounted.
And 1 is a Pokémon game and I don't often care about those.
And 1 is Animal Crossing and Wild World on the DS gave me my fill.

Nintendo knows me so well. :')

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I've got my review for Yooka Laylee. I give it a solid 4.5/10. I hate it. It frustrates me completely.

The camera is bad, the main villain is bland. The ice world is pretty much the least fun world I've played in a video game. None of the characters have the charm or humour that was in Banjo Kazooie. All of the worlds are the most basic level designs. The controls are frustrating. The quiz games are dumb. I got questions for **** I didn't even know about. Ugh.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I've got my review for Yooka Laylee. I give it a solid 4.5/10. I hate it. It frustrates me completely.

The camera is bad, the main villain is bland. The ice world is pretty much the least fun world I've played in a video game. None of the characters have the charm or humour that was in Banjo Kazooie. All of the worlds are the most basic level designs. The controls are frustrating. The quiz games are dumb. I got questions for **** I didn't even know about. Ugh.
Yooka-Laylee's divisiveness is fascinating to me.

I haven't seen a game like this in a while.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Checking my birthday discounts on My Nintendo.

View attachment 127923

4 are games I already own.
1 is 1/3 of a game I already own.
1 is a port of a game I already own.
1 is a game with a sequel imminent that will soon make the original obsolete.
1 is a niche game that could have good gameplay but the tone just completely throws it off and it's still expensive even discounted.
And 1 is a Pokémon game and I don't often care about those.
And 1 is Animal Crossing and Wild World on the DS gave me my fill.

Nintendo knows me so well. :')
Just get Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
Please
I need more people to play that game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom