• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just get Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
Please
I need more people to play that game
Buuuuut it's expensiiiiive. :c

And I'm kinda half considering buying a Switch or a Wacom tablet or something tomorrow.

Honestly I have too many games as is.

D

Deleted member

So, my Awakening write up. Took me a few hours to write.

Gameplay: Not much to say here other than that the pair up system feels rather primitive once you're used to the superior version used in Fates.

Music: The music in Fire Emblem Awakening is, in a word, solid. This is one point most everyone will agree on. It is on the same high standards as the rest of the series. My favourites are Prelude (Ablaze), Id (Purpose) and Conquest.

Map Design: This is unfortunately one place where I have to agree with the game's critics. While the maps do attempt to give different flavours depending on the location of the chapter, the variations in them are simply not significant enough to merit a different strategy from the player. Add this the extremely limited set of objectives - literally only "Rout the enemy" and "Defeat the Commander", so there is basically no incentive for the player to do anything besides grind up and kill 'em all.

Plot Setting: Awakening does a decent job at world building. The continent of Ylisse is quite fleshed out with Ylisse, Ferox and Plegia taking up unequal amounts of land and having their own way of ruling. Valm was rather weak though. The only things you can deduce are there are East Asian styled dynasts (based on Say'ri and Yen'fay) as well as European style Rosanne on the continent. So a missed opportunity there. Still miles better than Fates.

Story: [SPOILER WARNING]
Awakening has received some controversy over its story, and while it's certainly not the best storyteller out there, it's story is actually quite par. It's coherent, and you can make sense of what's going on. The story is basically three mini-plots in sequence with Gangrel, Walhart and Grima as the the bosses of each part. That's fine, but the problem arises when the game tries to build Grima as the final boss, but the foreshadowings and hints it drops have no immediate consequence on what's going on, so they don't really tie the whole thing together.

The sub-plots by themselves are fine and quite well-written, and the villains are okay (Gangrel in particular is pretty entertaining), but the sum total is a bit underwhelming as no villain gets enough focus to leave that much of an impact.

Characters: Ah, the other thing Awakening often gets criticised for. Overall, the game focuses only on a handful of characters - most importantly on the dynamic of Chrom and Robin, and to a lesser extent Frederick, Lissa, Say'ri, Lucina, Flavia and Basilio. Outside these eight characters, others don't get much (if any) screen time other than their initial appearance, which is a bit short to get the player to care. The obvious remedy to that is support conversations, but even they focus too much on the character's single defining trait. (Lon'qu being afraid of women, Sumia always tripping, etc.) Of course, there are exceptions to this, most notably Virion.

The other issue I had with the games is the unnecessarily sexualised designs of some female characters - notably Cherche, Tharja, Nowi and Olivia. It's not much of an issue in-game as the game won't let you ogle them, but it's still a sore point.

Though, on the positive side, the eight characters I mentioned are treated well. Not all of them undergo character development, but are certainly presented in a way to get the player to like them and care about them. The relationship between Chrom and Robin, in particular, is where the game truly shines. True companions to the end. Two halves of a whole, as they like to put it. (I actually regretted not marrying my Robin to Chrom.)

As an aside, I chose the ending where Robin gets the final blow on Grima and the following cutscene actually moved me to tears. Though it made the credits at the end all the more satisfying.

So, to conclude...
I had gone into Fire Emblem Awakening expecting a mediocre game, and I was quite happy to be proven wrong. While the game does have flaws here and there which make it look weak compared to the games before it, it is still a good entry in the series and an excellent entry point for newcomers. Nintendo and IntSys's strategy obviously worked, as Awakening ended up saving the franchise making it Nintendo's new darling.

Hours sunk into the game: 34

Recommendation: YES
I really feel like they should have given more focus to Gangrel rather than stopping his arc at 1/3 of the game and starting the equivalejt of an anime filler arc.
Walhart and his army are cool(Mustache Man tho) and that part has my favorite maps in the game(not that it matters at all when Awakening's combat is Enemy Phase-oriented) but Gangrel had so much potential and they could also tie in the whole Grima thing better if they extended the focus on Plegia.
People in desert countries don't wear black clothes.
They do if they are EVIL

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think I was more excited for my young nephews after yesterday's Direct than for myself. Plenty of games they'd enjoy. Personally, nothing grabbed my attention. I'm holding my breath for E3.

They do if they are EVIL
Truth. Evil feels no heat.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I really feel like they should have given more focus to Gangrel rather than stopping his arc at 1/3 of the game and starting the equivalejt of an anime filler arc.
Walhart and his army are cool(Mustache Man tho) and that part has my favorite maps in the game(not that it matters at all when Awakening's combat is Enemy Phase-oriented) but Gangrel had so much potential and they could also tie in the whole Grima thing better if they extended the focus on Plegia.

They do if they are EVIL
Or crazy stalker chick who wants bird dong

D

Deleted member

Someone should teach Nintendo that these wallpaper rewards are pointless because people can just release them online

Last edited by a moderator:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, anyone here watch It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia?
Just asking because I personally love it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Someone should teach Nintendo that these wallpaper rewards are pointless because people can just release them online
Or they could be like every other gaming social media and just post them on their Twitter or something.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I don't, but a lot of my friends love it.
I personally recommend it. I don't know if it's your thing because the show does get pretty sadistic, but it's funny as a black comedy. It doesn't just cross the line twice. it crosses it, steps on it, and then lights it on fire.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
The amiibo hunt is on.

Preordered the three Player One amiibo and Cloud Player Two. Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess Links were sold out when I woke up, which doesn't surprise me; they probably got cleared out within minutes of their announcement this morning. No word yet on Majora's Mask LInk or the Spla2oon amiibo.

Leave it to the pikachu to have a bad case of gotta catch em all.

Regarding the NES Classic, definitely gone too soon. As of now, you're going to be paying this from a scalper to get the thing:

upload_2017-4-13_19-15-43.png

And the hardened amiibo hunter says **** that, which should tell you everything you need to know.

If you're gonna spend over $100 to play old-school games, and Ninty ain't gonna help, then spend it on this:

upload_2017-4-13_19-21-45.png

>meme lord and meme intern start streaming
>they start playing Sonic Mania
>they pick Green Hill Zone
>"We know you guys have been saying you want more Green Hill Zone, so get ready for 3 hours of Green Hill Zone"
My heroes.

My salty tears mug is ready.

Or crazy stalker chick who wants bird dong
Fun fact.

Only around 3% of bird species have dongs.

Primarily large flightless ones, waterfowl, and ones you find on Tumblr.

This has been Red's Science Corner. Now you know.

That's a whippin'!
No, Swamp.
avi_presenting_paddle.png

That's a paddlin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Or they could be like every other gaming social media and just post them on their Twitter or something.
That's kinda the point I'm making
I only spent those 50 coins because I have, like, +1000 and nothing to use them on.
So if anyone wants one of those Echoes wallpapers, I got the goods

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I didn't see anything NEW I wanted out of the Direct, but I got a release date for something I know I want and that should mean it'll go up for preorder on non-Amazon retailers sooner rather than later.

I'm picky and pretty much trying to focus in on the Switch at this point, though. And actually who knows if I get desperate I might get another copy of Minecraft or something because that's releasing a whole lot sooner than I expected it to.

Why should I be disappointed, though? I've already got so many games I'm at least curious about that I'm left wondering what's going to happen if 2018 has even MORE of them. They're not going to announce any major Switch first party outside of the summer window before E3 and if they had any big games dated before then we would know it by now.

The Direct announced way more than could possibly be expected from the way it would be advertised, and who am I to take the value of those games away from people by going "Meh, there wasn't anything I wanted, so it sucked." No, it didn't suck, it was actually pretty good. I'm just picky, and that's fine. E3 is in two months, if I need something more there's a good chance I'll get it there.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Random thought, but:

Is it just me, or does casually tweeting about this stuff kinda de-value it somewhat?

I dunno. Just comes off as weird to me.

Meanwhile in Canada :V

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I started it today. It's great.
Random thought, but:

Is it just me, or does casually tweeting about this stuff kinda de-value it somewhat?

I dunno. Just comes off as weird to me.

Meanwhile in Canada :V

Canada supports the evilest game company? Ewwwww

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I started watching it around last week. Should be around the end of Season 2/beginning of 3 by now. My bro and friends have been watching it for over a year now, and I've over refused to since I didn't get it. Gave it a chance, amazing.

D

Deleted member

On Conquest Chapter 27, just did the 3rd Invasion and Niles died
And honestly, I couldn't give a ****, Ballistician is such a complete joke, it doesn't even try to compete with its female counterpart, the skills are useless outside of it and its incredibly weak with no strong pointa outside of Str which don't help Niles at all.
And the cannon is useless 90% of the time because you'll just end up hitting your own units and the range is nothing to write home about. And you don't get EXP either which makes the Ballistician considerably weaker than the rest of your army.
The only 10% it's good for is for cheesing bosses(lol rip Iago) and AOE Setsuna's Yumi(which most of the time hits you aswell)

Tl;dr **** Ballisticians, should just have made Elise a Witch

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm liking that Kirby RPG Deluxe thing. I'm sticking with Sword for as long as I can. But Beam is cool too in this one.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
That's been confirmed for a while
Honestly like three quarters of the video games I play are darker timelines and I mostly play colorful cartoony stuff.

Now if we end up summoning a skyscraper sized abomination of madness with an army of monsters, then we can make an argument. Until then the humans here are comparably as dumb as NPCs but without the mass extinction at the hands of giant dragons and whatever sleeps at the center of the earth.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Now if we end up summoning a skyscraper sized abomination of madness with an army of monsters, then we can make an argument.
trumptower.0.jpg

If that fruit hung any lower I would've scraped my shin on it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That show is great. Despite being on for a good while, it's quality hasn't petered out too much. But it does get zanier as time goes on.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
View attachment 127932

If that fruit hung any lower I would've scraped my shin on it.
Yeah, but can he shoot lasers out of his mouth?

This is an important part of the sorting algorithm, I swear.

At any rate, counting actual skyscrapers is a little cheaty. Lots of villains own skyscrapers and go out like wusses. Not like the thing can get up and walk.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's been a while and I'm happy to announce that I'm back to rolling with these Smash polls on Twitter again. As who won the last one before I've gotten sick, it was actually a tie between Seifer and Ultimecia. But I've went with the latter because, she's juts got more potential as a fighter. And not because of her time and space form (which is disturbing as it gets).

Now it's one to the last PS Final Fantasy game before the PS2 era of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XI. Your choices are Garnet, Vivi, Zidane, and Adelbert. Watch the adorable Black Mage win this because he's so cute.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's been a while and I'm happy to announce that I'm back to rolling with these Smash polls on Twitter again. As who won the last one before I've gotten sick, it was actually a tie between Seifer and Ultimecia. But I've went with the latter because, she's juts got more potential as a fighter. And not because of her time and space form (which is disturbing as it gets).

Now it's one to the last PS Final Fantasy game before the PS2 era of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XI. Your choices are Garnet, Vivi, Zidane, and Adelbert. Watch the adorable Black Mage win this because he's so cute.

Good good, now watch as my fellow Vivi loving brethren raid that poll tonight.

Sorry Zidane fangirls. Totally not Black Mage bias at all. :troll:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Yeah, but can he shoot lasers out of his mouth?

This is an important part of the sorting algorithm, I swear.

At any rate, counting actual skyscrapers is a little cheaty. Lots of villains own skyscrapers and go out like wusses. Not like the thing can get up and walk.
I have GIMP.

Both can be arranged.

redfeatherraven redfeatherraven You forgot to mention the most important fact.

A bird's dong expands by sheer force of anger alone.
By this metric Falco's got the erection version of the Shining Finger Sword.

IX Aussie, not XI.

We'll have to get our Shantotto another day.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just learned that SMB 3 was made for experienced players but SMW was made for beginners

I find that interesting/

Especially considering SMB 3 was my first game

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Saw this on reddit and died. It was captioned with "When your barracks are overbooked."

No but in all seriousness this stuff should never die. Let United remember what they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom