• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Then you're contradicting the point you started your post with
You even said "they're missing what made people love them"
By "they" he means the critics, not playtonic games.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I WAS GONNA VOTE GOGO BUT I CLICKED ON UMARO BY ACCIDSNT
WHO THE **** EVEN IS UMARO???
Umaro is the Berserker Yeti that you can recruit for your team.

And he's one of Mog's closest friends.

EDIT: Greninj'd

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Umaro is the Berserker Yeti that you can recruit for your team.

And he's one of Mog's closest friends.

EDIT: Greninj'd
But the difference is that you added some mog info in there to add a little salt. :p

Man, I think he was right when he told me that it was "Shame shisho day"

D

Deleted member

Nevermind then, but now I'm even more confused as now I don't know what your point even was. :p
This
They[reviewers] aren't missing anything, they just don't see that "appeal"[things people loved] as adding anything positive to the game but rather as detrimental
In response to
A lot of them seem to miss what people loved about the BK games.
I don't get what's so confusing(?)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Then you're contradicting the point you started your post with
You even said "they're missing what made people love them"
I just think that reviewers should comment on whether a decision appeals to a large group of people even if the personally dislike it.

Listing those things as pure negatives despite being what fans want feels odd to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't see how Swamp is contradicting himself is what I mean.
Saying that the reviewers are "missing the point about it" and then saying it's okay to not like those things.
Though now with his post above I understand what he meant

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If there are glaring gameplay issues I'd say that's a lot more crucial than the fact that homage might be paid to BK-like voices, British humour, and a sarcastic sidekick. So it makes sense that the nice little throwbacks don't alleviate more serious flaws, which is then reflected in the reviews.

I wouldn't want to deal with N64-level camera even in a game that is inspired by the N64 era, because we've progressed since then. Some stuff is worth saving and other stuff isn't. It's not like Shovel Knight was beholden to all the restrictions of an NES, it simply based itself off that era.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I wonder who would win in a fight between Pennywise and Kefka. Let's throw in God Emperor Joker too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Saying that the reviewers are "missing the point about it" and then saying it's okay to not like those things.
Though now with his post above I understand what he meant
That's not contradicting himself, what he's saying is that some reviews don't acknowledge that some of their critiques are things that people find appealing. Things like the dialogue style and comedy that's replicating BK games.

Then he said at the end that what the fans want is different from the reviewers want. Which matches with what he previously stated being that critics and fans have different taste.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
funnt because others have gotten their save data transfered
Yeah, the email sounds like they tried but my system was too corrupted to pull it off.

I imagine most people won't have a problem, my Switchy's just a little special. LOL

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Man, one of the Super Bomberman R multiplayer stages (Labyrinth) is broken: People use the rising platforms as a place where bombs can't reach them and camp there for an easy win.

I'm just going to quit the match if they pull that bull ****. I don't care if I lose BP points for quitting.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Y'know, I've seen "Game Theory" videos talking about how much gold coins are worth in Mario

Well, if you've ever played Super Mario Bros 3 it CLEARLY shows that each gold coin is worth a dollar

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Getting over the initial disappointment on the review scores, I decided I'm still getting Yooka-Laylee.

I wanted a game where I play as colorful characters in a colorful world, collecting a bunch of colorful things. And that's what Yooka-Laylee is.

However, it probably will be awhile before I play it. For three reasons.
1.) I need to clear up some of my backlog
2.) I want to get it for the Switch. Mainly because this is the kind of game I want to play on a Nintendo console, and since Playtonic themselves are developing the Switch, I'm waiting to see if they'll fix things such as the framerate.
3.) I never beaten Banjo-Kazooie or Tooie, I've played both and gotten pretty far in Kazooie, but never beat them. I want to do that first before getting to Yooka-Laylee.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I wouldn't make any humans and animal people become couples in my cartoon cause that'd be weird... right?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
avi_peeking_post.png
G'mornin.

Give me an animal and a gender and I'll add them to my cartoon as a recurring character.

Unless they are an animal that already has a main character in my cartoon.
Male ferret.

2.) I want to get it for the Switch.
Also why I'm holding off at present.

And I too am hoping they use some of the feedback from their reviews and patch that version up.

I wouldn't make any humans and animal people become couples in my cartoon cause that'd be weird... right?
See also: Sonic '06.

Stashing for future use.

Thank you sir.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
View attachment 127655 G'mornin.

Male ferret.

Also why I'm holding off at present.

And I too am hoping they use some of the feedback from their reviews and patch that version up.

See also: Sonic '06.

Stashing for future use.

Thank you sir.
I've been trying to forget about that game for 11 years.

Male ferret? That idea stinks.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Male ferret? That idea stinks.

Well, I got an email saying my Switch save data is gone. :/

Silver lining, at least that means they're actually trying to fix the darn thing and they at least have a system in place for that when the system isn't too much of a mess.

Hopefully they at least unlinked my account so I can at least re-download everything without a hassle, they did say they couldn't preserve the link either.

Not sure how my screen issues (and headphone connection issues I almost forgot and added in later) could have interfered with the save files, but maybe there was more going wrong than I realized.
RIP Cori's saves.

Sorry it went down that way. I really do hope they're able to make data recovery a universal thing soon, rather than a crapshoot.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm trying to think up some weird characters for my cartoon. The first animal person the 2 main characters meet is a pig conman by a bay. His name in the credits would be "Bay Con". :p

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Just throwing that out there but I'm a big fan of Mustelids...
:215::157::162:

But seriously though I like weasels....I used to want a pet ferret when I was young, never managed to get one though...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What? But bugs are one of the first things you learn that ARE animals. Hell, just by the way they act shoild be enough for anyone to differentiate from, I dunno, plants or bacteria
I could understand it being hard to see something like Sponges as animals but bugs fit the general idea of "visible and moving"
I'm 33. I was taught that over 20 years ago. Do you think I remember every tiny little thing I'm taught? No, I don't. I didn't have an interest in biology. So I'm not going to think of that stuff. If it weren't for that chart that posted earlier, I wouldn't have remembered, and nothing you said gave me any information to help me remember. Next time just assume they might've made a mistake and explain why it's a mistake and what the correct thing is. You'll notice it's far more helpful at that point.

Also, many people don't have a proper education. Thankfully I did, but what would happen if I didn't? Let's say I dropped out or never was able to go to school. Now tell me, how is "You should've been taught this" helpful in any situation? What does that actually tell them at all? The answer is absolutely nothing.

Next time you want to talk to someone who clearly is wrong, give reasons they are, and don't pull a "you should know this" card. It's honestly entirely useless in a good debate and does nothing to help anyone.

I'm going to say that when it comes to stuff everybody should know, it's entirely contextual. For being on this site, you should know the rules so you don't break them or cause drama. That's important. If somebody doesn't know something here beyond that? That doesn't matter. They can learn. If they misremember? Give information to help them remember. The most important part of a debate is being constructive. Basically acting like everybody would know this is honestly very unhelpful and just annoying to others at best. Now please next time provide proper information for those who don't know or can't remember so the conversation can actually be constructive in itself. And yes, this is kind of a major requirement to really debate. A debate is worthless if it doesn't add constructive points, after all.

D

Deleted member

I'm 33. I was taught that over 20 years ago. Do you think I remember every tiny little thing I'm taught? No, I don't. I didn't have an interest in biology. So I'm not going to think of that stuff. If it weren't for that chart that posted earlier, I wouldn't have remembered, and nothing you said gave me any information to help me remember. Next time just assume they might've made a mistake and explain why it's a mistake and what the correct thing is. You'll notice it's far more helpful at that point.

Also, many people don't have a proper education. Thankfully I did, but what would happen if I didn't? Let's say I dropped out or never was able to go to school. Now tell me, how is "You should've been taught this" helpful in any situation? What does that actually tell them at all? The answer is absolutely nothing.

Next time you want to talk to someone who clearly is wrong, give reasons they are, and don't pull a "you should know this" card. It's honestly entirely useless in a good debate and does nothing to help anyone.

I'm going to say that when it comes to stuff everybody should know, it's entirely contextual. For being on this site, you should know the rules so you don't break them or cause drama. That's important. If somebody doesn't know something here beyond that? That doesn't matter. They can learn. If they misremember? Give information to help them remember. The most important part of a debate is being constructive. Basically acting like everybody would know this is honestly very unhelpful and just annoying to others at best. Now please next time provide proper information for those who don't know or can't remember so the conversation can actually be constructive in itself. And yes, this is kind of a major requirement to really debate. A debate is worthless if it doesn't add constructive points, after all.
I mean, no offense, but it is pretty bizarre, I can just as easily say argue that in his mind knowing that a bug is animal is pretty obvious. I myself have never met anyone who doesn't know that bugs are animals, it just seems like common sense, let alone some obscure fact about biology.

He's not trying to debate you, he's just shocked. Though to be fair, I've noticed that both you and praline are older than most members here, perhaps it is due to how knowledge in biology is a lot more accepted and encouraged nowadays in contrast to back then. Along with improved education.(Though it's still not all that great in the USA at least.)

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Interestingly though, fungus counts as a fauna

IDK, you'd think with their nature they'd count as a flora.

Edit: Eh, now sources are saying it's counted as flora

I guess it can be whatever it wants to be

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The complete lack of skill it takes to be good at Mei in Overwatch is completely infuriating. They need to nerf her into oblivion. She's too viable to the point that a basic nobody can pick up Overwatch and just disrupt the gameplay of pretty much every other character.

D

Deleted member

The complete lack of skill it takes to be good at Mei in Overwatch is completely infuriating. They need to nerf her into oblivion. She's too viable to the point that a basic nobody can pick up Overwatch and just disrupt the gameplay of pretty much every other character.
You're almost a year late for this rant. :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know TF2 gets around this problem by having less characters, thus less problems with balance

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure fungi are in their own category apart from plantae and anamalia.

There are some things I'm not sure why I know, and that's one of them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, no offense, but it is pretty bizarre, I can just as easily say argue that in his mind knowing that a bug is animal is pretty obvious. I myself have never met anyone who doesn't know that bugs are animals, it just seems like common sense, let alone some obscure fact about biology.

He's not trying to debate you, he's just shocked. Though to be fair, I've noticed that both you and praline are older than most members here, perhaps it is due to how knowledge in biology is a lot more accepted and encouraged nowadays in contrast to back then. Along with improved education.(Though it's still not all that great in the USA at least.)
Never assume common sense is common among everyone in the world. That's a bad way to debate.

If they don't know, explain. If they do know, cool. It's understandable he thought it was common sense. However, that doesn't make it a constructive point to make either way and still adds nothing of use to the conversation. The point is to always try to help somebody remember or teach them something if they're wrong.

I stopped using common sense as a legit point when I realized that it's actually subjective. What's easy for one person to understand may not for another. People think differently. Could be mental issues, different opinions, etc. I get why he said it. But it still was an issue because it provided nothing constructive.

And yes, you have to remember that education has changed a lot. As you said, some things aren't as emphasized. Hell, I don't remember anything about Biology outside of high school, and about all I remember at best was DNA stuff, and barely. I'm pretty sure Math, Health, Gym, and Social Studies were significantly higher points at where I went to. Another thing is that I went to Catholic Schools. Evolution was definitely not a high priority due to that at the time. Thankfully that's changed a lot, but it wasn't when I went there. I don't remember honestly any Biology stuff during Grade School. Now, it could be because I had zero interest in it, or it was because it wasn't taught properly. I don't remember. But yeah, as you said, different priorities now.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I call shenanigans on the grounds that I get my ass ripped apart every time I play Mei.

It got so bad I switched over to a focus on Lucio.

Counterpick something that engages at medium range and moves faster than Roadhog and you'll clean scrub Meis right up.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, not sorry.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I call shenanigans on the grounds that I get my *** ripped apart every time I play Mei.

It got so bad I switched over to a focus on Lucio.

Counterpick something that engages at medium range and moves faster than Roadhog and you'll clean scrub Meis right up.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, not sorry.
Yeah, except no. Scrub Meis are still pretty inept at taking out even the faster heroes like Solider and Sombra.

Symmetra does some damage for me because of her long range but even she falls pray to the overpowered queen of Ice.

The character simply needs a giant ****ing nerf or retooling. She's essentially a beginner's cheat box as is.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I literally cannot find the site I was using that listed Fungus as fauna in the area.

But apparently flora + fungus are known as "Biota"

Edit: This is kinda getting freaky

Because I found in my search history when I looked this up but clicking it leads to "Google home"

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Animal: a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.

Insects are most definitely animals.

Chrono.

Man, anyone feel like the Sheikah Sensor is a little wonky at times?

Was at the Hebra mountains, noticed the Shrine radar go off, follow to where the signal is at is strongest. Ended up getting lost somehow, frequently too.

Went around the mountains looking for opening, double checked, etc etc

Turns out the Shrine it was detecting wasn't even close to where I had ended up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom