• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Getting sniped in consecutive eBay auctions and normal products feels batmaaaan.

Chrono.

Honestly, BotW being the new style of Zelda is dissapointning to me. I haven't played BotW yet so I have no idea how good it is, but it feels like Zelda was special. I can't think of many other games like 3D zeldas. I mean yeah, i've only beat two, but the idea of a style going away is always sad when it was so popular.
The style was used for 20 years of 3D Zeldas. I think that means it's time to move on
Not to mention I recall Aonuma or Miyamoto saying that during Skyward Sword development they ran into the issue where they didn't really know where to go with the 3D Zelda formula as development of them was getting a little monotonous.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I read the term "green algae" as "green lasagna"

It's 8 PM and I already need to sleep

I don't think that is how science works.
The thing about classification specifically...is that it is our way of branding "living" things in nature...

The Classification of species constantly changes as time goes on because our ideas behind said branding gets modified over time...which is why some species may be placed in different genus and classes as more discoveries are made...

This applies to Astronomical classification as well, ie. Pluto gets demoted from planet to dwarf-planet...

Subjectivity is a pretty big thing in science because it is largely based on discoveries through experimentation and observation...

Roy's amiibo theme is great
The style was used for 20 years of 3D Zeldas. I think that means it's time to move on
20 years that spans what, 5 games?
OoT
MM
TP
WW
SS

It isn't like the idea has been done to death and back again (I mean jeez look at how vastly different all of these are)

Doesn't really make sense to just dump an entire style forever. Like, imagine if Mario abandoned 2D or 3D mario forever. That would be horrible.

There is a reason why people have been wanting FF to go back to its roots since. . .well forever and so many people flocked to Bravely Default for being just that.

I get that BotW is super popular and all but it seems pretty mean to just give fans of one aspect of a series the series has lived on for years nothing from now on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not knowing something doesn't make you dumb. Just knowing the domains of life is remembering something. Intelligence is more than just recall. Using what you do know to solve something new is a better sign of intelligence than memorising stuff.

I mean, I haven't studied much biology so does that make me dumb compared to someone with a doctorate in biology? No it doesn't. Comparing their knowledge of what they know really well with what I might have a slight grasp on is comparing apples and oranges.

Quiz shows often make people think that "knowing a lot" = "being smart". It doesn't. Recalling something requires a low level of thinking.
I was making a joke and got an inspirational and deep post on knowledge
Thanks

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Puzzles are best when they feel like a natural extension of gameplay rather than trying to do sudoku in the newspaper, IMO.

Technically all gameplay is kinda, sorta a puzzle. But it feels much more enjoyable to me when I'm thinking "how do I make that jump" or "how do I cook that recipe in the way I want to" than "Oh look, there's four unlit torches next to each other. Wonder what the game devs wanted me to do here?"

Subtlety is a magic all it's own. If a game makes you feel clever without making you feel like you just got up from a jigsaw puzzle, that's fun for me.
I find puzzles more rewarding when you use what you already have and know how to do. It's better to go "I think this might work" and find out it does then what past Zelda games have done which is "I think I have the right item now".

Getting all your items (the runes) at the start of the game and the emergent gameplay that the freedom of BotW allowed has made for a much more enjoyable experience. I'd prefer Zelda made more games like BotW. It's not that getting the next dungeon item to go to the next area to get the next item etc... is a bad gameplay loop but I think it's better game design to have the same skills lead to a variety of puzzle solutions.

There's a comic I saw gushing over Mole Mania's game design that explains what I'm trying to say really well.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, many don't think of insects as animals because they're sooooooo different from a typical animal. An issue is that the term "animal" can be subjective for some.
Not really. Unless you're talking about outside of science, but bent definitions don't affect scientific information itself. For example, in science "theories" are not guesses, they have a good amount of evidence and many are considered facts until another theory replaces it.(Usually because new evidence is found.)

So regardless of what you believe, it doesn't change evidence itself without any new evidence of your own.

Actually it is. There's a lot of conjecture as to what exactly certian terms mean and what falls into them.

For instance, are viruses living or non-living? What is a living thing?

Even the definition for a "dead bacteria" draws debate.
Errrrr, that doesn't fit with what he's saying though. You can't just make it up whatever you want in science, classifications exist for a reason as within classifications things share similar qualities. There's no reason why an insect wouldn't be classified as an animal, they have all of the qualifications to be qualified as animal. Just because they're not sexualized by furies is not scientific evidence. :p

Of course classifications change, I even posted news here about how Theropods are likely to now be classified under Ornithischia rather than Saurischia, which is a big discovery and change.

One reason why we have such a hard time classifying what "life" means is due to us only having life on earth, there's nothing else to compare it to. And yet, some scientists would consider anything that can reproduce would be considered "life", even if a machine were to do so it'd be considering a living thing.

It's why there's no laws in biology, the difference between a theory and a law is that laws are aspects of the universe itself.(Such as physics.) A law doesn't mean that it's objectively disprovable, the only thing that's objective about reality is mathematics.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Puzzles are best when they feel like a natural extension of gameplay rather than trying to do sudoku in the newspaper, IMO.
>not appreciating the comfy and healthy practice of a good round of newspaper sudoku in the morning while sipping some tea

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Roy's amiibo theme is great

20 years that spans what, 5 games?
OoT
MM
TP
WW
SS

It isn't like the idea has been done to death and back again (I mean jeez look at how vastly different all of these are)

Doesn't really make sense to just dump an entire style forever. Like, imagine if Mario abandoned 2D or 3D mario forever. That would be horrible.

There is a reason why people have been wanting FF to go back to its roots since. . .well forever and so many people flocked to Bravely Default for being just that.

I get that BotW is super popular and all but it seems pretty mean to just give fans of one aspect of a series the series has lived on for years nothing from now on.
The same formula for Zelda has pretty much been used for every game (minus the Four Swords ones) since ALTTP. OoT merely adjusted it to 3D which then pretty much got reconverted back to 2D for the handheld games.
Not really. Unless you're talking about outside of science, but bent definitions don't affect scientific information itself. For example, in science "theories" are not guesses, they have a good amount of evidence and many are considered facts until another theory replaces it.(Usually because new evidence is found.)

So regardless of what you believe, it doesn't change evidence itself without any new evidence of your own.

Errrrr, that doesn't fit with what he's saying though. You can't just make it up whatever you want in science, classifications exist for a reason as within classifications things share similar qualities. There's no reason why an insect wouldn't be classified as an animal, they have all of the qualifications to be qualified as animal. Just because they're not sexualized by furies is not scientific evidence. :p

Of course classifications change, I even posted news here about how Theropods are likely to now be classified under Ornithischia rather than Saurischia, which is a big discovery and change.

One reason why we have such a hard time classifying what "life" means is due to us only having life on earth, there's nothing else to compare it to. And yet, some scientists would consider anything that can reproduce would be considered "life", even if a machine were to do so it'd be considering a living thing.

It's why there's no laws in biology, the difference between a theory and a law is that laws are aspects of the universe itself.(Such as physics.) A law doesn't mean that it's objectively disprovable, the only thing that's objective about reality is mathematics.
Even if classifications change, or even if they don't, not everyone is going to support it. The "scientific consensus" doesn't always have a great consensus. When studying science, we're all always told to "answer exam questions based on the definitions we give you" since some other scientists will use different definitions for the exact same word.

Take pili and fimbrae for example. My lecturer treats them as meaning the exact same thing. Other people say fimbrae refers exclusively to surface adhering, while pili are exclusively for transfer of DNA. There's no consensus on what they should mean, so best you can do when talking about them is make sure people know your definition of them. This has nothing to do with what evidence there is or isn't to seperate the terms, it's just semantics.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The same formula for Zelda has pretty much been used for every game (minus the Four Swords ones) since ALTTP. OoT merely adjusted it to 3D which then pretty much got reconverted back to 2D for the handheld games.

Even if classifications change, or even if they don't everyone is going to support it. The "scientific consensus" doesn't always have a great consensus. When studying science, we're all always told to "answer exam questions based on the definitions we give you" since some other scientists will use different definitions for the exact same word.

Take pili and fimbrae for example. My lecturer treats them as meaning the exact same thing. Other people say fimbrae refers exclusively to surface adhering, while pili are exclusively for transfer of DNA. There's no consensus on what they should mean, so best you can do when talking about them is make sure people know your definition of them. This has nothing to do with what evidence there is or isn't to seperate the terms, it's just semantics.
This doesn't quite have to do with the point I'm making though, you're talking about classifications within science, I was talking about scientific terms vs unscientific terms.

Of course not all scientists use the exact same terms, but that's due to there's no defined line between those terms. Pili and fimbrae may be interchangeable, but that's different from stating that insects aren't animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
My Squeedly-Spooch!!

He's probably messing around tho.
Nick confirmed he's working in the TV movie

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If we're talking about the concept of going through 8 dungeons in a specific order and tackling puzzles, then yes...

...but there are way more differences between 2D and 3D Zelda than that. Completely different level design philosophies, completely different combat system, completely different boss fight design, even the same item in a 3D game has a completely different functionality in 2D.

TBH BotW's only distinct differences from other 3D Zelda games are the weapon/item management and open-ended problem solving as opposed to puzzle solving. Pretty much everything else is iterated upon from other 3D (or 2D) Zelda games. Basic combat fundamentals come from OoT, fleshed out world building and NPCs come from Majora's Mask, open world setting comes from Wind Waker (Aonuma even flat out said this during the E3 2014 reveal), and of course...

...voice acting from the CD-i games. :troll:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm reading more and more Yooka Laylee reviews.

A lot of them seem to miss what people loved about the BK games.

Things like...

• "Annoying" BK like voices
  • Lack of telling where one needs to go
  • British humor
  • Laylee being a sarcastic poopbutt
  • General gameplay choices made to emulate the feel of BK
Those are all things fans want. If you don't want them, that's fine, but there seems to be a big disconnect between what the fans wanted and what the reviewers wanted.

There are some major issues with it though, mainly being...

• Framerate issues
  • Terrible terrible stuttering and glitches
  • Quizzes and apparently minigames are awful.
The game is probably a 7/10 or so. I have a feeling fans will like this a LOT more than the critics.

Lo, and behold, the harbinger of the Miz's demise.

. . .A single man with a violin. (Second mark out moment of the night for me seeing someone with a violin)

This next feud the Miz is going to have is going to be A++++++++++

I have a feeling fans will like this a LOT more than the critics.
TBH, this should have been the initial expectation when the game being reviewed is a collectathon.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
TBH, this should have been the initial expectation when the game being reviewed is a collectathon.
Collectathons have been going out of stile for a while.

It's interesting to look at reviews at the N64 versions of Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie and the X-Box Live versions.

D

Deleted member

Things like...

• British humor
Those are all things fans want. If you don't want them, that's fine, but there seems to be a big disconnect between what the fans wanted and what the reviewers wanted.

• Framerate issues
The game is probably a 7/10 or so. I have a feeling fans will like this a LOT more than the critics.
I think a lot is due to how collecthons like Banjo have been gone for so long, so having a game that replicates those games so closely can be pretty jarring. In fact, some negative reviews I've read themselves have said acknowledged this. Even calling it a remake of Banjo that doesn't really fix any of the dated problems of it.

To be fair, I think it is fair to expect a modern game to fix some glaring mistakes of older games, or heck, improving what was already great rather. For instance the terrible minigames sound like something straight out of a Rare game. :p

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
After consideration, I'm just going to play hooky on my class for the rest of the semester. I'm going to bomb the class either way, the teacher is terrible at his job, there's too much to learn in too little class time, and I can't see at all where he gets his test questions as they're barely in any of the book/slides/lectures.

I'm taking this F without any care now. Just too much BS.

Last edited:
I kind of wish Echoes wouldnt come out until May

Because I kind of want to play it a LOT, but i've been so busy with work, and homework, and studying I don't know how I will find time. I haven't been able to play conquest for weeks but I am SO HYPED for echoes, and it's going to be the first time I buy a game day one since smash 3DS. May would give me more time since classes end then.

Srsly someone give me echoes and time

EDIT see below before replying :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just because people liked it in the past doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing and they should be kept like that
They aren't missing anything, they just don't see that "appeal" as adding anything positive to the game but rather as detrimental

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I kind of wish Echoes wouldnt come out until May

Because I kind of want to play it a LOT, but i've been so busy with work, and homework, and studying I don't know how I will find time. I haven't been able to play conquest for weeks but I am SO HYPED for echoes, and it's going to be the first time I buy a game day one since smash 3DS. May would give me more time since classes end then.

Srsly someone give me echoes and time
It comes out May 19th though.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
This doesn't quite have to do with the point I'm making though, you're talking about classifications within science, I was talking about scientific terms vs unscientific terms.

Of course not all scientists use the exact same terms, but that's due to there's no defined line between those terms. Pili and fimbrae may be interchangeable, but that's different from stating that insects aren't animals.
Ah, ok.

Unscientific terms are usually just miscontrued scientific terms anway, or seperate terms used interchangeably when they shouldn't be used so in a scientific context (the amount of times I'm asked for the weight of something in Chemistry and I'm tempted to answer with something in Newtons, I swear. It's mass, damn it, mass! Mass and weight are not the same).

Whether it's non-scientists or scientists debating whether insects are animals or not, isn't it mostly the same thing? Though I guess the scientists are using more objective based facts for their arguments, providing a more valid reasoning. People shouldn't just go, "Insects aren't animals because I say so" or, "just because they're different" and don't expand anymore upon that.

If people were arguing that insects aren't eukaryotes, that's bs, barring some kind of amazing new discovery. Arguing insects aren't animals, well it might be true for your definition though of course, it wouldn't be true for the actual accepted definition of an animal.

But clearly insects aren't animals because they have no rights. If animal rights activists met up, they'd probably kill a cockroach just as fast as anyone else. /end joke.

Just as an aside, if people say insects aren't animals, I wonder how they feel about sponges, coral and other non-moving marine animals.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, I thought the Japanese release date was a worldwide release date for some reason

Thanks Shenron for granting my wish so quickly!
Thanks my ass, now I have to wait until May
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT ZEBEI, WE COULD HAVE GOTTEN A WORLDWISE RELEASE, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU MESS WITH SCHRODINGER'S THEORIES

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Even though this may upset @Shishœ, Mog the Moogle won. Both Shadow and Relm
We're pretty close, but I guess people find the idea of a playable Moogle funny.

Now this is indeed the last FF VI poll before we move on to Cloud's game. This includes two fan favorite villains and two more optional party members. Your choices are Kefka (Yes, that crazy *** clown God), Ultros, Umaro, and Gogo. The real fun will begin tomorrow.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Well, I got an email saying my Switch save data is gone. :/

Silver lining, at least that means they're actually trying to fix the darn thing and they at least have a system in place for that when the system isn't too much of a mess.

Hopefully they at least unlinked my account so I can at least re-download everything without a hassle, they did say they couldn't preserve the link either.

Not sure how my screen issues (and headphone connection issues I almost forgot and added in later) could have interfered with the save files, but maybe there was more going wrong than I realized.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
We're pretty close, but I guess people find the idea of a playable Moogle funny.

Now this is indeed the last FF VI poll before we move on to Cloud's game. This includes two fan favorite villains and two more optional party members. Your choices are Kefka (Yes, that crazy *** clown God), Ultros, Umaro, and Gogo. The real fun will begin tomorrow.

> Ultros has more votes than Kefka

How did we come to THIS? You mean people would want a silly giant purple octopus that had little impact on the plot is more wanted than a psychotic clown that was winning the whole time and become a God? This is pretty disgusting.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

How did we come to THIS? You mean people would want a silly giant purple octopus that had little impact on the plot is more wanted than a psychotic clown that was winning the whole time and become a God? This is pretty disgusting.
Look again, Kefka is kicking that cephalopod's tail now.

Never underestimate the Kefka fanboys.

D

Deleted member

You're forgetting that ultros is a pervert, people love perverts, super smash bros is already a fanservice game, people need a weird pervy monster for porn.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just because people liked it in the past doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing and they should be kept like that
They aren't missing anything, they just don't see that "appeal" as adding anything positive to the game but rather as detrimental
I'm saying that though.

If you don't want them, that's fine, but there seems to be a big disconnect between what the fans wanted and what the reviewers wanted.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Things like...

• British humor

• Framerate issues
If the game purposefully emulates poor game design, I don't think it should be given a free pass because it's meant too. Games have evolved past those elements because they were... bad.

Now I haven't played much BK, so I don't know what elements are outdated but other platformers from the time I feel have aged fine (except DK64, which I never had originally but probably wouldn't have enjoyed back when it released anyway). I hope it's just a case of Playtonic making some poor decisions with what to bring to Yooka-Laylee and not a case of the industry suddenly hating everything about 3D platformers.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Work's over....bout frikkin time...

Anyways...
I don't think BotW's open ended nature really takes away from what made the series what it is over the years...but I feel like it makes it what it is meant to be...

First of all it still offers the players a main objective which they are free to follow if they so choose...the main point of Breath of the Wild is leaving everything up to the player...You want a more linear experience focused mainly on the story and a sense of progression this game offers that, or if you want to make a bee-line for Ganon in your boxers, weilding a soup ladle and a pot-lid, you can do that as well...if you want to comb through every inch of Hyrule and discover every single secret and find everything the game has to offer after putting in over 300 or so hours and still haven't made any progress in the story...you can do that also...

One thing that BotW (and ALBW did) was remove total linearity by giving you everything you need right off the bat...If you're stuck on a puzzle it's because you can't figure it out as opposed to not having the necessary tools available yet because you are required to go someplace else first before progressing forward...

A lot of the puzzles can be completed in more than one way, there was probably an 'intended' way to solve it but other times you can 'out-smart' the game by doing it another way (or at least that's what the devs wanted you to think)...like those people who just flipped the apparatus over using the gyros to easily solve a puzzle or using Revaali's Gale to just go straight to a required terminal in a dungeon, etc...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Psychotic clowns, always.

Put me down for Kefka plz AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 . :)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If the game purposefully emulates poor game design, I don't think it should be given a free pass because it's meant too. Games have evolved past those elements because they were... bad.
I understand that and agree.

It's just that some of said designs were promised by the devs and wanted by the fans.

They aren't strictly bad choices, but some are being treated as such.

I won't defend certain issues pointed out with the game.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You're forgetting that ultros is a pervert, people love perverts, super smash bros is already a fanservice game, people need a weird pervy monster for porn.
Plus Ultros has been in more games than Kefka.

Muh relevancy :p

D

Deleted member

I WAS GONNA VOTE GOGO BUT I CLICKED ON UMARO BY ACCIDSNT
WHO THE **** EVEN IS UMARO???

*ahem* While Kefka is one of my favorite villains of all time, I think Gogo would have more to contribute as a Mimic character
I'm saying that though.
Then you're contradicting the point you started your post with
You even said "they're missing what made people love them"

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I WAS GONNA VOTE GOGO BUT I CLICKED ON UMARO BY ACCIDSNT
WHO THE **** EVEN IS UMARO???

*ahem* While Kefka is one of my favorite villains of all time, I think Gogo would have more to contribute as a Mimic character

Then you're contradicting the point you started your post with
You even said "they're missing what made people love them"
Umaro is the yeti you can get as a party member. fake fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom