• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Nintendo Treehouse now have their own official tumblr blog.

https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/

Also it's a shame about JonTron being taken off Yooka-Laylee. I know he's controversial right now, but I personally don't care for that, and was looking forward to hearing him in the game. There's also his unlisted video that I feel cleared up his stance on some things, and that one debate with Destiny he had was kinda one-sided, as Destiny is known for being very manipulative in his debates with people.

Overall, it was a silly idea to take him off, because Jon could sue, and backers of Yooka-Laylee may feel a bit robbed now, as JonTron has plenty of fans who would have backed just for that.
oh yeah. I forgot about how some of the backers might feel and yeah, I heard rhat dude destiny was pretty wow fro a tuber who starts with an A. cant remeber is name but I dont follow drama so eh

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Jontron's outburst isn't "alternate views that should be respected", it's a racist screed that deserves no pretense of equal value. Even if that wasn't true, Playtonic would still have every right to remove his voice clips from the game.
Bigoted viewpoints are just as valid viewpoints as non-bigoted ones. An opinion or viewpoint doesn't magically stop being an opinion because it's offensive, intolerant, or it hurts your feelings.

"there's a difference between an opinion and hate" is just an excuse to silence people. You could just as easily say "there's a difference between an opinion and blasphemy"

----

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm guessing a lot of people haven't seen JonTron's unlisted video that he shared on his Twitter where he explains his viewpoints more coherently.

I didn't want to post it here when he posted it a couple of days ago, since I didn't think it'd be relevant here. But I might as well share it now since it's topical.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I'm guessing a lot of people haven't seen JonTron's unlisted video that he shared on his Twitter where he explains his viewpoints more coherently.

I didn't want to post it here when he posted it a couple of days ago, since I didn't think it'd be relevant here. But I might as well share it now since it's topical.

With the hate of him in this thread, you think anyone here would care if he explained himself or not?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
All I know is he mentioned something about getting rid of immigrants, despite his parents being Iranian immigrants.
That depends, did he say illegal immigrants or ALL immigrants?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That depends, did he say illegal immigrants or ALL immigrants?
He says in the video above that mass immigration, specifically, could pose issues for the country.

He also makes note of the fact that he himself is the child of two immigrants.

D

Deleted member

I had watched it too but I didn't want to revive the topic at the time
Really, this only made things worse imo, it's blatant damage control and he can't even do it right.
He plays the victim and blames it on being tired and on the people who called him out because "they want to shut down those who disagree with them".
He didn't "clear" anything up, just reinforced what he had already said while trying to make it look as if he was being "misunderstood"
"there's a difference between an opinion and hate" is just an excuse to silence people.
And "hate is just an opinion" is just an excuse for people to discriminate against others

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Oh, I see JonTron is being brought up again. No matter how well he tried to dress up his statements in the video he made after the fact, the views he expressed are still vile. As mentioned before, while Jon is clearly free to express himself, he is not clear from the consequences and criticism that comes with said words. Freedom of speech is a two way street. Just as you are free to voice your view, so are people free to critique them. Playtonic are within every right to want to separate themselves from him. Ideally this would be a lesson in humility for Jon, but something tells me he won't change, sadly.

Moving on from that mess, it's apparently National Puppy Day here in good ole USA. So let me lighten the mood with my favorite pupper in the whole wide world.

pupper.jpg

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
All this Excalibur, Hercules, and Fate/Stay Night talk makes me wish we'll see a F/SN character in an upcoming Death Battle.

Still hoping to see that Lucina vs Saber battle in the future, or even Berserker vs Hulk.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Nintendo Treehouse now have their own official tumblr blog.

https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/

Also it's a shame about JonTron being taken off Yooka-Laylee. I know he's controversial right now, but I personally don't care for that, and was looking forward to hearing him in the game. There's also his unlisted video that I feel cleared up his stance on some things, and that one debate with Destiny he had was kinda one-sided, as Destiny is known for being very manipulative in his debates with people.

Overall, it was a silly idea to take him off, because Jon could sue, and backers of Yooka-Laylee may feel a bit robbed now, as JonTron has plenty of fans who would have backed just for that.
That tumblr has some interesting stuff. Looking forward to future posts.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In other news, there were 2 Islamic terror attacks in the last 2 days. London and an attempted one in Brussels

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I had watched it too but I didn't want to revive the topic at the time
Really, this only made things worse imo, it's blatant damage control and he can't even do it right.
He plays the victim and blames it on being tired and on the people who called him out because "they want to shut down those who disagree with them".
He didn't "clear" anything up, just reinforced what he had already said while trying to make it look as if he was being "misunderstood"

And "hate is just an opinion" is just an excuse for people to discriminate against others
Nobody will deny that's it's damage control to a degree, but I don't see how that in itself is a problem.

And it did clear things up. Destiny has a history of trying to steer people into JonTron's current position when he has a debate, that is undeniable. He further emphasised that's what happened. But even without that, this video serves as his most up to date version of his opinions on the matters discussed. I mean, it contradicts some of what he said in the initial debate. Regardless of why his statements changed (be it that his initial statements were emotional reactions and not thought out, or maybe he even did some further research and thought and conceded that some of his points were invalid and as such changed his opinions between the debate and the video), the video still represents what he actually thinks.

Playtonic are within every right to want to separate themselves from him. Ideally this would be a lesson in humility for Jon, but something tells me he won't change, sadly.
He literally opens the video with saying that he wasn't prepared to handle such a debate, that he couldn't handle the pressure, and that some of the things he expressed in the debate were wrong and that he himself disagrees with them. That's the definition of showing humility.

And nobody is saying that Playtonic isn't within their rights. But as you yourself said, free speech, which Playtonic is now exercising, has it's consequences. At the very least, Jon is entitled to his money back, which I'm sure would put a dent in Playtonic's budget. He backed a lot of money to get the voice acting part, it was a reward tier on the Kickstarter.

If they refuse to give him his money back, then Jon would be WELL within his rights to sue them. Because ultimately, their only justification for removing him from the project, is a disagreement in personal beliefs. It's a completely unprofessional reason that should have nothing to do with the game's development, and it absolutely would NOT hold up in court. Even if Jon really was the most racist bigot in the world like everyone wants to make him out to be, the court would not care, as it's not illegal to hold those views, and once again, has nothing to do with the role he was to have in the game.

The other smaller, but still notable consequence, is that there may have been other backers and gamers who were going to play the game because they were promised Jon would be in it. They would be a minority, but it's still going to effect the game's reception to some. Furthermore, it could discourage other people from attempting to collaborate with Playtonic on future projects if they are going to suddenly cut ties over a difference in personal beliefs.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And nobody is saying that Playtonic isn't within their rights. But as you yourself said, free speech, which Playtonic is now exercising, has it's consequences. At the very least, Jon is entitled to his money back, which I'm sure would put a dent in Playtonic's budget. He backed a lot of money to get the voice acting part, it was a reward tier on the Kickstarter.

If they refuse to give him his money back, then Jon would be WELL within his rights to sue them. Because ultimately, their only justification for removing him from the project, is a disagreement in personal beliefs. It's a completely unprofessional reason that should have nothing to do with the game's development, and it absolutely would NOT hold up in court. Even if Jon really was the most racist bigot in the world like everyone wants to make him out to be, the court would not care, as it's not illegal to hold those views, and once again, has nothing to do with the role he was to have in the game.

The other smaller, but still notable consequence, is that there may have been other backers and gamers who were going to play the game because they were promised Jon would be in it. They would be a minority, but it's still going to effect the game's reception to some. Furthermore, it could discourage other people from attempting to collaborate with Playtonic on future projects if they are going to suddenly cut ties over a difference in personal beliefs.
I wonder if they got Jon to sign anything beforehand that would let them cut him out for any reason. No idea what's in the small print.

In any case, it's a VERY bad look not to give him his money back. "We don't want your name attached but we'll take your money." is the message it sends.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just to clarify, I'm not saying Playtonic definitely are not giving him his money back. We don't know either way right now (or at least I don't). And we may not ever know.

However, the decision is bad for them either way. Either they give him his money back but still take a notable dent in their budget which could effect future plans for other projects (such as Yooka-Laylee merchandise), or they don't give his money back, get sued, and lose even MORE money, potentially.

And even if there is some kind of fine print that allows them to keep his money and boot him from the project without any repercussions, that would be TERRIBLE for their image. Keep in mind, the gaming community puts Playtonic on somewhat of a pedestal - their entire image is founded on them being these quirky, friendly British guys with a lot of talent who have created some legendary games, but were stuck under the "big greedy corporation" Microsoft for years. But they took initiative and escaped this big greedy corporation, like prisoners breaking from a tyrants evil clutches.

If they somehow roped Jon into a situation where he legally can't get his money back, then they look no better than the greedy corporation they said they didn't want to be like.

Even more ironic - the main villain of their game is a greedy, swindling businessman.

So yeah, I really hope they thought this through.

I'll probably still buy the game though whenever I can - just as I still watch JonTron's videos. At the end of the day, I know both Playtonic and JonTron are good at their jobs (entertaining people through their video games/YouTube content), and I can still enjoy that regardless of their drama.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All this Excalibur, Hercules, and Fate/Stay Night talk makes me wish we'll see a F/SN character in an upcoming Death Battle.

Still hoping to see that Lucina vs Saber battle in the future, or even Berserker vs Hulk.
I'd love to see Saber but she'd need someone who's actually on her power level
Not only is Saber way more skilled with a sword than Lucina, but she also got a bunch of magical powers and **** which include a huge ****ing laser

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's understandable Playtonic doesn't want to associate anymore with JonTron. It's not understandable to keep his money. Either he's part of the project or not. All they have to do is give the money back and boom, everything is fine. Not only would it stop making them look petty and unprofessional, it would also make it so others would be willing to work with Playtonic.

D

Deleted member

The whole "I wasn't preppared excuse" is pretty lame, it's usually used by people like The Villigant Christiand and Brett Keane when they say stupid **** in debated. Not only that, but Destiny is aa bad debater who what I've seen from isn't all that hard to debate against.

Bigoted viewpoints are just as valid viewpoints as non-bigoted ones. An opinion or viewpoint doesn't magically stop being an opinion because it's offensive, intolerant, or it hurts your feelings.

"there's a difference between an opinion and hate" is just an excuse to silence people. You could just as easily say "there's a difference between an opinion and blasphemy"

----
I don't think the problem with your kind of opinions is that they're hateful. Being hateful is fine, for instance, I hate people that put intorelance first, and reasoning after. People that go out of there way to hate, usually justified by "alternative facts".

I hope that people like that are joked about being edgelords in the future, they've have surpassed demographics like goths and emos, that's for sure.

Where you at Rock haters? :laugh:
Rock would never make it in, they said. SNK said they'd never do it, they said.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
The whole "I wasn't preppared excuse" is pretty lame, it's usually used by people like The Villigant Christiand and Brett Keane when they say stupid **** in debated. Not only that, but Destiny is aa bad debater who what I've seen from isn't all that hard to debate against.

I don't think the problem with your kind of opinions is that they're hateful. Being hateful is fine, for instance, I hate people that put intorelance first, and reasoning after. People that go out of there way to hate, usually justified by "alternative facts".

I hope that people like that are joked about being edgelords in the future, they've have surpassed demographics like goths and emos, that's for sure.

Rock would never make it in, they said. SNK said they'd never do it, they said.
Is the dream real? I'm not really too much into SNK's fighters, but I did mess around with Rock in CvS2.

Now when's Garou Terry's costume?
Safe to say it's real, it's from the same Chinese forums that leaked Vanessa before she was revealed :p

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In case anyone was waiting for Jon to make a statement:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

and as expected, many of the people that were excited about him being in the game are pretty unhappy

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

I applaud him for being mature on this and not digging himself a deeper hole.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
JonTron has been going hard the last little while, it's understandable Playtonic would distance themselves.

However, should he request it, I believe JonTron is entitled to his money back.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm honestly curious if Playtonic is going to have another statement on this matter, or if they ignore it and just move on.

InsaneAlchemist

Smash Cadet
Eh, something tells me they would rather not suffer a lawsuit, but it will be inevitable if JonTron wants payment. Though judging by his statement it seems like he's not going to push it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm not sure how getting money back from kickstarters work. Playtonic could argue that JonTron didn't buy anything, only funded a project. Though where I think it gets complicated is when backer rewards are introduced. Could it be argued that backers "buy the rewards"?
People asking for money back when a project never comes to fruition though aren't entitled to their money. Kickstarter is not a store.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I don't think Lucina vs Saber is the right matchup, even if Lucina can use the power of the Gemstones with the Fachion. Despite having Falchion and skills like Aether with unnatural properties, Lucina is still little more than a medieval warrior while Saber is more on par with that of a superhero, not to mention a sword that shoots a big laser and Avalon giving her invulnerability. And that's not even counting what she could get from her multiple Alternate Versions, especially Lancer Arthuria.
To be more fair, I think Saber would be more on par with a character from Final Fantasy or someone like Thor. I mean, at least a character from Final Fantasy can run up along a wall with her thanks to Dissidia mechanics, not to mention characters like Squall also have their own laser beams.

Edit: Oh, just to mention, I am also aware that Lucina can have an advantage thanks to Saber being part-dragon and Falchion being strong against dragons. But Saber definitely has the advantage in terms of lots of utility and being able to do things like speed across water, run up buildings and other superhero-like things.
2nd Edit: Case in point:

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't think Lucina vs Saber is the right matchup, even if Lucina can use the power of the Gemstones with the Fachion. Despite having Falchion and skills like Aether with unnatural properties, Lucina is still little more than a medieval warrior while Saber is more on par with that of a superhero, not to mention a sword that shoots a big laser and Avalon giving her invulnerability. And that's not even counting what she could get from her multiple Alternate Versions, especially Lancer Arthuria.
To be more fair, I think Saber would be more on par with a character from Final Fantasy or someone like Thor. I mean, at least a character from Final Fantasy can run up along a wall with her thanks to Dissidia mechanics, not to mention characters like Squall also have their own laser beams.
I'm not too familiar with character, but Thor is pretty OP. A FF character seems like a good match from the little that I have seen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm honestly curious if Playtonic is going to have another statement on this matter, or if they ignore it and just move on.
I'd wager the latter.

With the statement JonTron made, I'm going to assume that any money or legal issues that might have arisen have already been resolved, or are currently being resolved and neither party forsees any complications.

It'd be better for the game anyway if they just put it to bed and not let the situation drag out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom