• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Dream theories are really dumb.(Which don't just use dreams, they also use things like comas, being mentally unstable, and death.) I don't understand why they're so popular, of course you can explain every inconsistency to reality(could be because they're fictional?) with it being a dream. It's a pretty lazy explanation because it can excuse any inconsistencies immediately and it's not disprovable.(Because it's something that isn't set by any rules of reality.) It's not really smart at all to make a dream theory, I could make a ton really fast if I wanted to.

The only dream theory that makes sense is the grease one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Caffeine runs in these veins.

I don't want a bean, I want the bag.

I'll settle for a Jolly Rancher.
you dont know how much caffine I take in daily. Coffee 2 times a day plus tea every night...I also ate the whole bag of beans, Thats why I felt like I was dyin

I uh...also eat candy almost everyday.. my poor teeth

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
you dont know how much caffine I take in daily. Coffee 2 times a day plus tea every night...I also ate the whole bag of beans, Thats why I felt like I was dyin
You ate the...?

I concede defeat.

I'll give you what you desire, if you give me back the horn you stole so many blood moons ago.
I got two groceries within walking distance.

I'm good.

avi_uniknightmoving.gif

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Jim Sterling brought up an interesting point about the whole Pewdiepie and Jontron things
He made a hypothetical if an actor did those things and how people would react. He himself admits the things Pewdiepie and Jontron did aren't the same, as Pewd's was just a stupid joke gone wrong. Youtubers are celebrities now, more kids would know who they are than say, Jennifer Lawrence, so they should be treated like other celebrities. He also pointed out that the right to free speech has been confused with 'the right to say whatever you want without consequences whatsoever' which isn't the case

Ivander

Smash Legend
Here's a question for Breath of the Wild peeps.

What did you think of the overall story and characters?

Some people are saying they're a bit weaker than other Zeldas due to the nonlinear design of the game.

What do you think?
I think the story is about as equal as any of the other Zelda stories when it comes down to what you are doing. Although the 100 years after a failed attempt is quite an interesting perspective. I don't think it's a bad thing that it's still a basic formula. I think sticking to the basic formula was a good idea when they were going for drastically new gameplay changes. Now that people are getting used to the new gameplay, I don't see a problem with them trying out different stories with the new gameplay.

On the other hand, I think the world building really helps with the story. Seing what has happened after 100 years and actually seeing the effects it had left really gave this impression of a living world and IMO, it helps add to the story. Also IMO, the memories really help with a lot of things. The world building, the story building and pacing, establishing Link as more than just an Avatar character. The memories just give so much.

For the characters, I don't know how to accurately describe how and why I like them at the moment, but to me, they feel like they have a presence and place in the world. That was one of the reasons why I liked Majora's Mask alot as it felt that the characters were more than just random people you talked to. You got to see the effects of the world on them. You get to see them interact with the world. And the character designs also help as well. I just feel like this is the first game since Majora's Mask where the characters feel like they have a place and part in the world and that they aren't just there.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I loved these books as a kid
Absolutely love the animation style they're going for. It's very much like The Peanuts Movie.

Harold and George's voices bother me, but I could get used to it.

Loved these books growing up, if it's done right I may actually see this.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Well here's the official trailer
Keep hearing people saying it doesn't scream Death Note but EDGEDGEDGEDGEDGE
tbh that was Death Note too
Hmm. Looks like the typical bad and white-washed anime adaptation. Just stick with the orginal. No need to mess around with this nonsense.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well here's the official trailer
Keep hearing people saying it doesn't scream Death Note but EDGEDGEDGEDGEDGE
tbh that was Death Note too
Was literally coming here to post that just now... that's crazy. I've watched it like five times already, love the score.

No matter what I'm probably going to love it, I'm too obsessed with the source material not to. I'm glad it seems quite different, we already have the Japan films that are pretty faithful.

That reminds me, Death Note: Light Up the New World comes out in Japan in April, so that being translated is also something to look forward to.

Does anyone here read Platinum End? That's the pair's third and current manga series.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

I JUST GOT THE NINTENDO SWITCH BAYBEE!!!

And I was SUPER lucky too: My GameStop was only going to get a shipment of 5 consoles today AND GUESS WHO WAS NUMBER 5 IN LINE? :4wario2:

MY FRIEND CODE: SW-8539-3655-2004

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
There's a Netflix Death Note coming
Death Note's honestly lost it's appeal I'd say, especially as Netlfix already has Little Witch Academia (They funded it iirc), CastleVania, Devilman Crybaby and even ****ing Danger Mouse in terms of animated stuff
Now do what Amazon Prime did with Toei and make a Kamen Rider show damn it
OKAY BUT WILLIAM DAFOE IS RYUK AND IT WILL BE AMAZING JUST LIKE WHEN HE WAS THE GREEN GOBLIN IN SPIDER-MAN

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
everyone get to twitch now its the anniversary episode of the tommy oliver show featureing the 4 tommy olivers on power rangers

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
In case people missed it, the Parliament was subject of an attack. The attacker stabbed an officer and proceed to fire upon others. The building was placed under lock-down. The situation has taken a turn, with attacker shot by the police.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/world/europe/uk-westminster-parliament-shooting.html

Hope all you UK folks are safe.
As bad as I sound saying this, but why am I not suprised anymore. Its a shame it happens but why is it happening in europe so much?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On this day last year, the Brussels attack happened.

This is the second year in a row there's been a terrorist attack on my birthday.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So I beat Breath of the Wild...

There's a lot I want to say about this game but there's just too much for me to talk about at this very moment in great detail, but let's just say easily my new favourite Zelda game!!...Both of the incarnations of Link and Zelda in this game are now my favourites of the series as well...Excellent music, at first I thought the lack of music in the overworld was going to be a big detractor for me, but it set the mood for the game rather well, but when there was music, even if only subtle, you noticed it...

Over 145 hours of gameplay and there were very few times I felt like I wasn't having fun with the game...There was so much to discover around every corner even after over 140 hours of gameplay I was still surprised by what the game had to offer...

I do admit that it was not without it's issues, but I can definitely see how the series can move forward in the future...

This game is a masterpiece in it's own right...Greatest game of all time? At this point in the gaming industry it's really tough for any game to really have that kind of title since it's almost impossible at this point to be truly original, but I do see several aspects of the game that can greatly influence other games to come in the future, I'm talking games outside of the series of course...But then again Zelda in general is a series that has that kind of influence over the industry regardless...It's definitely a contender though...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
But yeah, if I didn't go to GameStop right after I left work, I would totally missed out on getting on the Swtich.

Right now playin' some Bomberman!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sonic Forces Colors Unleashed Generations Xplained by the way
ChikoLad ChikoLad
I didn't get a notification that you tagged me. Weird.

We talked a little bit about that last page. There's not much more I can say about the game though, from what we know, and most of what they brought up is stuff I think most Sonic fans noticed already. Still excited for it, but I think E3 will be where they go on a bigger information blowout about it and then speculation and theories can go wild.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614

This is the second year in a row there's been a terrorist attack on my birthday.
That's a real downer there, my friend. Here's to a great day ahead for you personally. Happy birthday, man!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Clearly this means you must take up arms and be the hero this world needs.

But seriously, happy birthday.

And condolences on bad things happening in the world on your birthday. Don't let it kill your mood and spoil your day.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Here's a question for Breath of the Wild peeps.

What did you think of the overall story and characters?

Some people are saying they're a bit weaker than other Zeldas due to the nonlinear design of the game.

What do you think?
Spoiler tagging my answer just in case

The overall story feels rather basic for a Zelda game. It's another tale that follows Link one his quest to stop Ganon, and here, it adds a post-apocalyptic feel to it that is similar to Windwaker, but compared to the that game, I felt more of an impact from the events of an apocalypse when seeing ruined towns and cities present throughout Hyruie, as well as the cutscene when we learn how Ganon took control of the Divine Beasts and the Guardians and used them to destroy Hyrule..

Characters are enjoyable for me so far. Sidon is already a standout character how encouraging and supportive he is, even going as far as trying to convince an older Zora (forgot the name) to throw aside his hatred and believe in Link, not to mention he has a standout personality overall. Even Yunobo was alright: cowardly, but still willing to help to advert a crisis. Teba, the Rito warrior, was admittedly forgettable though, but that's because you only run into him on the Flight Range, he tests your mid-air arrow shooting in a really easy game, and is then set to take you to Van Medoh. He really didn't have that much screentime. It's a shame because I really like his design. I'm on my way to the Gerudo Village right now, so I will probably gain more of an opinion of Riju by the time I retake Van Noboris, but from the footage I've seen of her online, I like what I'm seeing thus far.

The Champions were pretty good to me for the most part. I can see why they feel one-note, but I think that problem stems from how they didn't have much story presence outside of two memory cutscenes you need to unlock, a memory you get at each of their locations, and when you're in a Divine Beast and free them afterward. I wish the game gave us more opportunities to learn about the champions, which is what I hope the new story expansion will include during the DLC. Perhaps some more flashbacks that explore these characters more.

This wish of mine comes from how I enjoyed them from what the game gives of us. Daruk has that tribal chief personality going for him, and I think it best shows when he worries about how the Gorons have been doing since the great calamity.

Mipha reminds me of Sakura from Fire Emblem Fates in several ways: both are shy and soft-spoken characters yet carry great strength in mental and physical prowess (if Priestess Sakura is anything to go by). I also liked how the game shows us the way Mipha's death has impacted the Zoras: all the elderly Zora (except the Zora King and the Zora priest) despise Link because they blame him for dragging her into the Great Calamity conflict that ultimately led to her death, while all the younger Zora are welcoming to him because they weren't alive when the Great Calamity happened (or just very young). It shows how revered Mipha was among her people. I wasn't that impressed by her voice acting though: she sounded rather robotic at certain parts.

Urbosa's big sister-like attitude towards Zelda was enough for me to like her, because it is through that you see how understanding she is toward Zelda. In a way, I think she makes a great contrast to the way King Rhoam presents himself. King Rhoam constantly wanted Zelda to focus more on her training than on her studies, and as that one cutscene and his journal in the castle shows, he was very desperate about it and rarely treated Zelda like a daughter. Urbosa seems to be aware of Zelda's insecurities, as her cutscene in Van Naboris and the memory at the ancient gate shows. She even seems to be aware of Link's feelings as well. I still need to reach the Gerudo region first to learn about how she impacted her people in the way we see how Mipha and Daruk did for theirs. She's definitely up there for one of my favorite champions.

Revali is definitely the stand-out IMO. I mean, I know he's become known as the Falco expy and is depicted as a pompous individual with an initially low opinion of Link, but I really think he has the most personality out of the champions. He considers himself the most skilled archer of the Rito, so he thinks he can handle Ganon the easiest compared to the others. When Links comes into the picture with his Master Sword, Revali feels jealous that Link is the one destined to defeat Ganon. He wants to challenge Link to a battle to prove who's stronger, but he even shrugs the idea of and still thinks he is more skilled than Link when he realizes Link can't fly. Once Link reclaims Van Medoh from Ganon, we see how Revali warms up to Link, recognizing Link's skill. He even becomes receptive of Link's emotions, evident when he offers Link to thank him but eventually says, "Or, never mind, just go," once he realizes Link is the silent-type. Also helps that Revali knows how to make good puns, from his quote right before the Windblight Canon battle ("It defeated me 100 years ago, but only because I was winging it") and his quote upon defeating the boss ("Well, I'll be plucked.") I wish we got to see more of Revali in terms of his backstory. We don't learn about how he approached other Rito; the Rito elder only talks about Revali's skills with the bow and that's about it.

Revali also has the best English voice in the game IMO. Seriously, whoever voiced him deserves a huge raise. You can tell he put a lot of effort into Revali, perfectly understanding the kind of character he is and going all out for the job.

I enjoyed this iteration of Zelda as well. The cutscenes establish her as someone who simply wants to learn about ancient artifacts and ways to prepare for the Great Calamity (which has some cute and enjoyable moments, such as the memory when she discusses the Silent Princess and the frog), but has to constantly deal with the pressure of fulfilling her role as a princess when the time comes. The fact she can't unlock her power eats up on her, only adding to her insecurities. She also initially hates Link, but warms up to him once he saves her from the Yiga clan. Her diary in the castle definitely helps flesh her out a lot more, as it further explains her insecurities. Her development had some nice moments too, particularly when she put the Master Sword in the Korok Forest and spoke to Link again after defeating Canon. I'd say she's up there for one of my favorite Zeldas alongside Skyward Sword Zelda and Wind Waker Zelda. I do wish she was voiced better in certain scenes, particularly the memory where she cries.

Even King Rhoam is an enjoyable character once you read his journal in the castle. One memory and many of the journal's details emphasize how he puts Zelda role as princess over daughter, but reading further into the journal reveals he feels regret for treating that way, and it especially becomes clear in the moments leading to the Great Calamity when he vows to welcome her upon returning from the spring despite failing to unlock her power yet again. Even the scene he talks to Link at the beginning shows how he regrets not treating Zelda, as it can be identified with the occasional brokenness in his voice when he mentions "My daughter."

Link may be another silent character, but I really like how the game explains why this Link is rather serious most of the time. Zelda's diary details that he had to constantly live with the burden of being Hyrule's savior, so he thought it would be better if he remained silent for everyone's sake. You can't help but feel bad for the poor guy.

So in all, I do enjoy most of the major characters, but I do wish they fleshed a few of them more and gave them more screentime, particularly the Champions. Thus, my main hope is that we see some kind of expansion to the Champions' story, whether it'd be through that expanded story expansion via DLC later this year or perhaps even a "side-treat" that explores those Champions (such as Drama CDs or even a manga).

Wow, this answer was a lot longer than I expected. It even made me think about creating a poll about the Champion characters sometime soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom