• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
One hour into BotW.

I already have TWO very serious issues with this game, and I'm dumbfounded that many people are giving this game a perfect score. It's not a bad game (to early to judge) but it's certainly not flawless.
To be completely honest here, I feel like most would play way past an hour (within a range of 5-10 hours or even more due to how big this game is) before they actually get a perspective or have a review on the overall game. To me, you're judging the game way too quickly for the one hour you've played it for and I believe you should give it more time before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Skyrim is a dumb game for weebs, it's just a waifu simulator with a bunch of yaoi fangirls.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The far majority of people seem to like Breath of the Wild a lot.

But if this leads to the next iteration of the Zelda cycle.

@Akxareth

Y O U C A N T B R E A K T H E C Y C L E

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Speaking of Venom, I just found out this is a thing today and I'm so pumped:

Wow, they even threw in Poison(a different version of Peter Parker who became stuck with the Venom suit.)

They were done realistically. Bigger question to me is how are they compared to Shadow of the Colossus?
I get the point of that control style, I really do. To make the game feel realistic, that you are actually riding a horse instead of a vehicle. But I feel like anything that is made to be intentionally annoying is stupid design. **** immersion if its to the player's determent.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Meanwhile on Death Battle

Bane will get torn a new one when he has few means to defend himself from a savage Symbiote like Venom. Even better intelligence won't save him.
ScrewAttack sure has a thing for making mismatch battles.

It depends on the host but Eddie Brock with the Symbiote is around 25 tons with high durability, regardless of the host he's at least always stronger than Spider Man if I recall. Meanwhile Bane is around 2 tons max on his Venom. Unless Bane throws him into a fire, figures out he's weak to sonics or the venom symbiote leaves the host bane loses. He literally isn't capable of winning based on physical stats.

D

Deleted member

He's naked wearing a chef's hat riding a sabre cat in the streets of Solitude on a sunny day.

This proves everything.
Hmmm.... You've got a pretty good point there, it explains a lot, like how 15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance. But it doesn't explain why big foot was found on a wheat field of a farm.... Or Indonesia... Mars is explainable though.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So yeah, my Switch seems to be working just fine. Got to play a bit of Breath of the Wild. Not alot, but enough to get a normal feel for the game. And apparently by what I heard, the current e-Shop cards in stores(Wii U & 3DS) do work for the Switch e-Shop, but I can't confirm that for myself yet.

Also found this gem. The Fire Emblem and Castlevania fans in me approve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So yeah, my Switch seems to be working just fine. Got to play a bit of Breath of the Wild. Not alot, but enough to get a normal feel for the game. And apparently by what I heard, the current e-Shop cards in stores(Wii U & 3DS) do work for the Switch e-Shop, but I can't confirm that for myself yet.

Wow, they did a pretty great job, nice find, I was hoping to see something along these lines. I still think Fire Emblem would mix well with Castlevania.

But then again I think that a lot of things would mix well if done right, but still. Especially ones with settings such as FE, MH, and CV. Perhaps I'd love Zelda too if I tried out one of the games that is not Wand of Gamelon. :p (Which is so far the best game of all time.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Neat stuff Reminds me of these KanColle FEH sprite gifs someone did a while back.

And speaking of Heroes, I went through my army and checked the natures of all the units I've pulled that I could(meaning those at level one or above level 20). Figured out that my Catria and M!Robin got kinda eh natures (+Def, -Spd and +Res, -Atk respectively), so I might be on the lookout for replacements the next time I do a pull.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

That Shanoa makes me happy

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

No Richter? Well that's just unfortunate.

D

Deleted member

No Richter? Well that's just unfortunate.
None of them are Belmonts, the artist could always do one with Belmonts, I suppose. Because those are all of the metroidvania characters that aren't Juste Belmont who's my avatar right now. :p Shut up, it's cute.

D

Deleted member

None of them are Belmonts, the artist could always do one with Belmonts, I suppose. Because those are all of the metroidvania characters that aren't Juste Belmont who's my avatar right now. :p
I realize those are all the starter characters in the 360 version of Harmony of Despair. Simon, Richter, Julius, Maria, Yoko, and guest character Getsu Fuma were all DLC in that game, except for Julius and Yoko in the PS3 port.

D

Deleted member

None of them are Belmonts, the artist could always do one with Belmonts, I suppose. Because those are all of the metroidvania characters that aren't Juste Belmont who's my avatar right now. :p Shut up, it's cute.
Nevermind, this is incorrect. I almost forgot about poor Nathan from Circle of the Moon. But I haven't played it yet so I often forget that it's a metroidvania game.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
aDrive and MunchingOrange brought an interesting idea up.

What if in the anime, during an Aether Arc, Pikachu is kidnapped by Lusamine and frozen like the one in the Aether Mansion?

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

What if in the anime, during an Aether Arc, Pikachu is kidnapped by Lusamine and frozen like the one in the Aether Mansion?
Ash would recover his inmense strength and break the ice with his own fists.

D

Deleted member

Hmmm.... You've got a pretty good point there, it explains a lot, like how 15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance. But it doesn't explain why big foot was found on a wheat field of a farm.... Or Indonesia... Mars is explainable though.
Actually, I take it back. Behold, the unsolved biggest mystery of the 21st century.
Screenshot (130).png
What does it mean? Who knows, no one probably knows.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I was trying to stockpile orbs for the next focus but I couldn't resist doing a pull tonight. :?
Not bad, all things considered. This Gordin is worse than the one I have already, but the Beruka is better. And the rest have decent enough natures.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm so pumped, I finally got the D.Va Cut Sticker in Overwatch. Now I have the pixel and cute sticker for both my main mains, D.va and Junkrat.

I got a quintuple kill twice in the round I got in Temple of Anubis. Once by launching into the first point's fountain, taking out their teleporter, and team mates there and teleporting. I then launch it from the right into the left corner on the second point and got the quintupple kill again.

Pretty awesome, now if only I can get Solider's since I met the achievement before but never got it.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Accurate to me playing Breath of the Wild...

Also I shot a squirrel with an arrow and it turned into an acorn....waht?

So I'm pretty much ready to leave the plateau having acquired the Paraglider...though I'm going to have another round on the plateau to see if I can get anything I missed, I remember passing over some rock walls I needed bombs for...Deciding where to leave the Plateau will be difficult...I could go towards the next objective but that just sounds boring :p

Either way, I'm very much enjoying this game so far...I feel like all I've experienced so far was nothing more than just a taste of what the game offers...but the amount of distractions I'm seeing already, I can tell I'm going to be putting a lot of hours into this game...

Also...
To the surprise of no one the old man was indeed the King of Hyrule, I already forgot his full name but it seems they really wanted to outdue the Wind Waker in that aspect...lol...but this story is already proving to be quite sad since he's a literal ghost and has spent the last hundred years watching his kingdom slowly deteriorate...

I can also appreciate how lively the game feels...was just exploring randomly and I see the old man crouched in amoungst some trees, he was hunting, then he get's tired and hangs out by a campfire...I later meet him again at the Woodcutter's lodge also resting by the fire...I sleep in the bed till morning and he's cutting trees...this game is really showing some

I also have no problem with how the graphics look, and the weapon degradation to me just adds to the game's challenge and encourages exploration since you have to keep up with inventory as it drops...I find myself using weaker weapons more often since I don't want to waste Battle axes on Keese and Chu's and get stuck with a torch or stick against a Blue Bokoblin...

----

As for the Switch and how it's performing, I'd say it's doing pretty damn well...

I see some minor framerate issues as well, but it only occurs on the TV and not while playing handheld which could mean it has something to do with the HDMI connection rather than the game itself...

No problems with the joy-cons desyncing, even while I was testing similar to GameXplain to see if the issue is there or not and the only time I notice any sort of distruption was when I was standing more than twenty feet away from the system with the joy-con behind my back and it was only a slight stutter...while playing the game for an extended period of time there was no issues whatsoever...
Although, there was this one hiccup that occurred while I was at the top of the Temple of Time on the steeple, I was pressing B repeatedly to climb down and nothing was happening, I then pressed X and of course that works and end up I jumping off and I fall and die...but nothing else other than that slight hiccup that got me killed...lol

The Joy-con grip is proving to be quite comfortable over long periods and most of the time I hardly really notice the difference compared to most other traditional controllers, however the issue I do have is with the joy-sticks, for one they don't have very much range and I feel like I'm trying to force things a bit too much as well as my finger sliding off due to the short range, I have a similar problem with the circle pad on the 3DS though it's not as bad with the joy-cons since they are actual joy sticks...the second issue is the awkward placement of the right stick as I feel like I have to search for it with my thumb (doesn't help that I'm still used to the right stick being placed above the buttons) it's not positioned in a place that allows for natural movement so I often have to feel the controller to use it, though this kinda can't be helped due to the nature of the joy-cons...Also regarding the triggers due to L and R being very thin on the joy-cons I do find myself pressing ZL or ZR a lot by accident...as mentioned previously both L/R and ZL/ZR are only wide enough for one finger as opposed to pretty much every other console controller that allows for both the index and middle fingers...I could use two fingers but that's actually quite uncomfortable holding it that way...

Ultimately these issues with the joy-cons simply come down to just getting used to the control set-up as they aren't really technical faults at all...

I do have to say that I'm really liking the Switch though...

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Ash would realize Lusamine is crazy, and then he'll try to jump right into saving Pikachu somehow. Lusamine stops him and challenges him to a Pokemon battle, telling him, "It looks like I'll need to silence you first," just like she did in the games.

That's about the best I can come up with, but the idea of Lusamine freezing one of Ash's Pokemon would definitely be an interesting plot point.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Cleared another set of four shrines, like the one found above Kakariko Village, and even one that I just felt like gliding to in an area I hadn't explored, and the vast scope of this Breath of the Wild's environment is amazing; I love how it let's the player feel control of how they want to play - agency at it's finest. Climb to the top of a hill, then glide to a swamp/marsh area from there, while carefully monitoring your stamina as you do so - had to drop down a few times to save strength - and then tackle the Shrine. At one point, I was thinking 'I have to stop time so that I can move the metal cup and ball over to the depression where the ball needs to be' but then I came to a simpler conclusion; just put the ball on top of the cage, and just put the cup back on top of the switch and it'll open the roof, making the ball drop down into the depression. Breath of the Wild's direction in puzzle solving through these shrines is really neat - makes you think things through, sometimes in creative ways, or if you want to complete everything and get all the treasure. I guess it's relatable to Portal in how you approach things, a start point and maybe a theme to the level you're in, then how you solve the puzzle is all up to you. I really like it.

Story-wise, I've met up with Impa (not too disappointed she isn't the samurai-esque depiction of her from SS or HW, and learned that I have to free the Divine Beasts from Ganon's influence. Not too shabby, but I want to explore the rest of the world, so I'm not too restricted by time... I don't think...

And I had the Blood Moon event occur for the first time; I was in the clothes shop at Kakariko when it happened, so it was a small jumpscare to see the sky turn blood red. Remilia, what are you doing in Hyrule? I'm guessing that to truly nullify it for good, I might need the Master Sword to permanently kill them, but I don't know about that at all, so it's just wishful thinking. I didn't look at any spoilers, but apparently one of the Wikipedia tags says...
'Games with alternative endings.'
I'm suspecting that it could be a major thing where you need the Master Sword in the end game, or else something bad happens, and a good ending if you slay Ganon with it. But I don't want to look at spoilers.

So all's well so far. And no Hookshot? Disappointing, yes, but there could always be a next-time.

I'm thinking of some getting some digital stuff; mainly something to scratch a Neo Geo/SNK itch... Samurai Shodown VI's going for a reasonable bargain on PlayStation Plus (I think on this note, I'd like to appreciate how cheap Nintendo will be offering their paid online service; a year's subscription to PS Plus is as much as a retail game, so I only go for the three month subscriptions; Nintendo's promising a yearly service for a fee of ¥2000-¥3000 (I imagine that conversion and the pricing for us Australians will probably end up around $26-$32 Aus - around the 3-month subscription price for the other services), and maybe get King of Fighters '95 and Metal Slug for the Switch. I think I can survive with those two alongside BotW, and maybe later I'll get Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove.

That's all from me, time to get back to BotW.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The alternate ending is actually determined by...

Whether you get all the memory cutscenes or not.

Gotta find them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I get the point of that control style, I really do. To make the game feel realistic, that you are actually riding a horse instead of a vehicle. But I feel like anything that is made to be intentionally annoying is stupid design. **** immersion if its to the player's determent.
It depends for me, but that post wasn't in defence for BotW's horse controls, but so that I knew how it was compared to Agro, who I didn't enjoy riding

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It depends for me, but that post wasn't in defence for BotW's horse controls, but so that I knew how it was compared to Agro, who I didn't enjoy riding
I see. I guess you could say I have a more firm opinion on the matter at least.

D

Deleted member

Neat stuff Reminds me of these KanColle FEH sprite gifs someone did a while back.

And speaking of Heroes, I went through my army and checked the natures of all the units I've pulled that I could(meaning those at level one or above level 20). Figured out that my Catria and M!Robin got kinda eh natures (+Def, -Spd and +Res, -Atk respectively), so I might be on the lookout for replacements the next time I do a pull.
Wait, Heroes has Natures???
Actually, I take it back. Behold, the unsolved biggest mystery of the 21st century.
What does it mean? Who knows, no one probably knows.
It's a mystery I guess

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The alternate ending is actually determined by...

Whether you get all the memory cutscenes or not.

Gotta find them.
So is the 'Golden Ending' if you find all of Link's memories, and a standard ending if you miss most of them out?

D

Deleted member

Aw, that sucks about the hookshot. It was always my favorite Zelda item.

Still definitely plan on getting BotW when I get a Switch sometime this summer.
Definitely give it a go, I'm not saying this to deter people from playing the game, but it's still criticism that is worth pointing out amid the sea of "10/10s perfect game!!."

To be completely honest here, I feel like most would play way past an hour (within a range of 5-10 hours or even more due to how big this game is) before they actually get a perspective or have a review on the overall game. To me, you're judging the game way too quickly for the one hour you've played it for and I believe you should give it more time before jumping to conclusions.
But I'm not giving a "review" of the game. I said multiple times myself that it's too early to judge, but those to criticisms are two things that can very well be pointed out with very little play. With 1 hour of play, I've had a decent sample of the combat, and I can already see the problem with it. I'll be playing a bit more in a few, but again, this is criticism that NO ONE has bothered to even mention amid all the praise. It's not a 10/10 game, people need to calm down their hype for it. It's TP all over again, upon release, this was the EXACT reaction from the public. Then it turned out, TP wasn't THAT great, and people started to see the flaws. I remember people freaking out cause IGN gave it an 8.8m and tbh, 8.8 is a fairly accurate score for TP in hindsight.

This coming from the same person who, if I remember correctly, wanted Zelda to take some influence from Skyrim.
There's a difference between taking influence from Skyrim, and re-skinning Skyrim into Zelda. I'll say more on this once I've played more, but just from already beginning, I feel like I've got to make a list of all the things BotW could have done, but didn't, and all the game design flaws it's got.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
10/10 is the highest recommendation.

Not perfection.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
10/10 is the highest recommendation.

Not perfection.
Recommendations happen indirectly through reviews - sometimes directly if the critic says as much - but it's my understanding that reviews are meant to... review the product, with scores reflecting its quality. A 10/10 does indicate perfection. Oftentimes there will be an "Editor's Choice" or a "Staff Pick" to denote actual recommendation, which tends to exist somewhat separately from the product's ultimate score.

Imo nearly every game that widely scores tens would fit better somewhere between 9.7-9.9 (because 10/10 is asking for about as much as you can ask), and BotW is no exception. At least of the outlets that do a decimal scale review system.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The only 10/10 Games are TETRIS, Panel De Pon and Puyo Puyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom