• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm...way too stressed about the tier list release than I should be. Probably because of the stress I feel already and the lack of means I've had of staying mentally grounded of late, but it's very much a problem. I ended up putting together a prediction of what I think the list might look like, but it's really bitter and pessimistic.

At the same time, I do want to put it somewhere under the radar just to get the anxiety associated with it out of my head, so...view at your own risk. Keep in mind, the quotes are directed at the vocal tryhards out there who actually say such things.

4BR Tier List v4 Prediction.png

At least it's very clean and easy on the eyes, right?

I just now noticed the typo at the bottom.

So for anyone still wondering why Gen VIII might be based on Spain, it's been a running theory in the Pokémon community for a few months. Basically, here are some things that may be hints toward it:

- The Tapus and Oricorio.

Tapu Koko and Oricorio Pom-Pom represent the chicken and cheerleading, both of which can be traced back to America. Fast food and sports. This is Unova.

Tapu Fini and Oricorio Sensu represent the swordfish and traditional Japanese dance, so it links to Japan. This is Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh.

Tapu Lele and Oricorio Pau'u represent the butterfly and hula dancing, bringing about Hawaii, or Alola itself.

Tapu Bulu and Oricorio Baile represent the bull and flamenco dancing...this is undoubtedly Spain, which isn't present yet.

- Kalos is the only region that has never been revisited. Kanto has been a bunch of times. Johto had Crystal and HGSS. Hoenn had Emerald and ORAS. Sinnoh had Platinum. Unova had B2W2. Alola had USUM. Kalos only had XY and nothing after it. Spain is right next to France, and considering Gen VIII will be on the Switch, we might get to revisit Kalos if they do a two region thing like Gen II (and maybe make Zygarde relevant lol). Also it'd help bring Serena back to the anime for the shippers but that's more of a bonus than anything.

- And now Ash has the colors of the Spanish flag on his collar in the new movie.

Tl;dr: GameFreak is dropping hints, I swear. They're not above doing that, either. Remember the Strange Souvenir?
I was skeptical at first, but the further along you went, the more it started to seem like you may be on to something. Especially the point about the collar on Ash's new outfit resembling the flag--that's the kind of tiny little details we know TPC loves to sneak in.

My personal pet theory for Gen 8's region has been Australia, but I'd be up for Poké-Spain. Especially if we got to see part of Kalos again.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda want gen 8 to kick off with a remake. Kanto, Sinnoh, doesn't matter to me. But my reason is because Gamefreak has a history of struggling when moving to a new console.

Pokemon DP and XY are some notable examples of new console jank, while later games in the consoles they were in are far better (BW/2 and Ultra/SM). RS is so far the only one to mostly avoid new console jank, though the later GBA games do improve on it. Hell, just look at the very first games and then compare them to GS, it's been a thing since the start.

So for Gen 8 I'd rather them not make the first new region games be the weird kinda experimental game where they're still figuring it out and instead do that with a remake.

That said, I know folks won't agree with me on this and I also know starting the Switch era of Pokemon games with a remake is pretty risky in and of itself since they'd be the ones getting hurt by the console move jank when instead they're usually the big fanservice games.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
After USUM, all I want is the DP remakes. I don't care if they're wonky- just get it done so I can shut up about it. -_-
Maybe it will come up soon. Albeit, it's rumored that Pokemon Switch is Gen 8, so... but I doubt the remakes will just suddenly be on that system. It'd be easier to release it for the New 3DS soon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This feels like reaching a little, especially when the Tapus should have nothing to do with other regions.
While the Oricorios are just, well, dancing styles.

I don't think it's impossible for the next region to be based on Spain but this is reminding me of the Hoenn confirmed theories

"Release date 31/12/2020"
Man, and I thought Atlus was bad with localisations :^)
Real talk tho I really want to play Detective Pikachu
I think you're dismissing it too quickly. The Tapus and their islands' native Oricorio are definitely connected. The islands' names share their color, they themselves share their color, and all four link back to similar cultures.

And the best part? Reading the islands left to right, they go Poni, Melemele, Akala, Ula'Ula. Japan, USA, Hawaii, Spain. Kanto-Sinnoh, Unova, Alola, ???. They're in region order. Plus lots of legendaries have ties to regions that aren't their own.

Add in the fact that GameFreak did "research" in Spain in 2014 when promoting ORAS and that Spain is a VERY popular tourist spot for Japanese people and suddenly it isn't so much of a reach, is it?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Maybe it's just me, but I kinda want gen 8 to kick off with a remake. Kanto, Sinnoh, doesn't matter to me. But my reason is because Gamefreak has a history of struggling when moving to a new console.

Pokemon DP and XY are some notable examples of new console jank, while later games in the consoles they were in are far better (BW/2 and Ultra/SM). RS is so far the only one to mostly avoid new console jank, though the later GBA games do improve on it. Hell, just look at the very first games and then compare them to GS, it's been a thing since the start.

So for Gen 8 I'd rather them not make the first new region games be the weird kinda experimental game where they're still figuring it out and instead do that with a remake.

That said, I know folks won't agree with me on this and I also know starting the Switch era of Pokemon games with a remake is pretty risky in and of itself since they'd be the ones getting hurt by the console move jank when instead they're usually the big fanservice games.
If we get remakes, Id rather it NOT be Kanto. I want Sinnoh more then anything but man, not Kanto
And the best part? Reading the islands left to right, they go Poni, Melemele, Akala, Ula'Ula. Japan, USA, Hawaii, Spain. Kanto-Sinnoh, Unova, Alola, ???.
Im sorry, what? It may be because I just woke up but this makes little to no sense

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we get remakes, Id rather it NOT be Kanto. I want Sinnoh more then anything but man, not Kanto

Im sorry, what? It may be because I just woke up but this makes little to no sense
Look at the map of Alola. The islands, in geographic order, are Poni, Melemele, Akala, Ula'Ula. Given the connections I put in my previous posts, these form a timeline, further hinting that the next region is based on Spain.

Chrono.

But Ula Ula has the feudal Japan-esque houses in Maile.

That's more similar to Johto than anything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But Ula Ula has the feudal Japan-esque houses in Maile.

That's more similar to Johto than anything.
Culturally, yes, but I'm talking about their Tapu and Oricorio. Poni's are the Japanese one's of those, with Sensu and Fini.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
They're under a buck.
Ooh hah ok Im awake and I get it now
:174:
Look at the map of Alola. The islands, in geographic order, are Poni, Melemele, Akala, Ula'Ula. Given the connections I put in my previous posts, these form a timeline, further hinting that the next region is based on Spain.
Now this I dont understand even though I am fully awake.

Chrono.

Culturally, yes, but I'm talking about their Tapu and Oricorio. Poni's are the Japanese one's of those, with Sensu and Fini.
Oh alright, gotcha.

No wonder the theory didn't make a lot of sense to me first time around. Although I still think it's kinda dodgy, but Ash's collar stands out to me since it really clashes with the rest of his outfit so much that I think it's deliberate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I read it but it still makes no sense. Arent the Topus based on four Hawaiian gods?
It's not uncommon for Pokémon to have multiple design inspirations. Zygarde, for example, is based on both Nidhogg (to form a Yggdrasil trio with Xerneas and Yveltal) and Jormungandr (to form a trio with its 10% and Complete forms, Fenrir and Hel).

It makes perfect sense.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
It's not uncommon for Pokémon to have multiple design inspirations. Zygarde, for example, is based on both Nidhogg (to form a Yggdrasil trio with Xerneas and Yveltal) and Jormungandr (to form a trio with its 10% and Complete forms, Fenrir and Hel).

It makes perfect sense.
Mmn.. Makes no sense to me but I guess Ill wait and see where the next gen Is at

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Opossum Opossum loves this theory.

It'd be a shame if it were all just a coincidence. :troll:
If it is, so what? My issue comes from people dismissing the theory because they think it can only be coincidence, when we know GameFreak hints at things and that regions are planned out years in advance.

Chrono.

Remember when Gamefreak hinted at the Battle Frontier coming in future games after ORAS but we got nothin'. Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Though that could be considered a hint towards Annabel's return in SM.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
My issue comes from people dismissing the theory because they think it can only be coincidence, when we know GameFreak hints at things and that regions are planned out years in advance.
So? Let people have their own opinions. Its just a theory. It could bare fruit or it might not. USUM just came out. It'll be months before we hear anything about Gen 8 anyways.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm still waiting for a Canada region with tons of Ice Pokemon and an Ice/Steel Hockey Pokemon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Most of it, like; how does all that mean the next game could be in spain. Idk if Im just not thinking right but it literaly makes no sense to me. I see no legit hints that Spain could be the next place at all
I'll go through it step by step.

First, we must establish that GameFreak drops hints in the first place. It does, as seen by the Strange Souvenir hinting that Gen VII would be based on Hawaii.

Next, we need to establish that there is a connection between the Tapu and their native island's Oricorio. Each island is named after a color in Hawaiian. Melemele is yellow, as are Tapu Koko and Oricorio Pom Pom. Akala is pink, as are Tapu Lele and Oricorio Pau'u. Ula'Ula is red, as are Tapu Bulu and Oricorio Baile. Poni is purple, as are Tapu Fini and Oricorio Sensu.

With that, we establish a connection between the Tapu and the Oricorio.

The next step is going further with the connections.

Pom Pom is obviously cheerleading, while Tapu Koko is a chicken. Both of these link back to the United States, as both of these things are associated with the US (chicken production is big here, as are sports). The United States (specifically, the New York tristate area) is represented in the Pokémon world by Unova.

Sensu is a traditional Japanese fan dancer. Tapu Fini is a swordfish, which are a staple food in Japan and hold cultural significance. The first four regions (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh) are based on different areas of Japan.

Pau'u is a hula dancer, and Tapu Lele is based on a butterfly. Both of these are connected to Hawaii, which hula is associated with and has a huge amount of butterflies. This single Alolan island represents Alola itself, as the Pokémon equivalent of Hawaii.

Baile is based on a flamenco dancer, and Tapu Bulu is based on a bull. Flamenco is the signature dance of Spain, and bull fighting is a national pastime. However, there is not currently a Pokémon region based on Spain.

With that, we move on to another connection. Look at a map of Alola, and from left to right, the islands are ordered as Poni, Melemele, Akala, Ula'Ula. If we go back to the real world connections, this would be Japan, USA, Hawaii, Spain. This is the exact order of how they've chronologically appeared in the Pokémon world, with Spain being "next."

Now, we move onto reasons Spain might be chosen.

One such reason is that for Japanese people, Spain is a very popular tourist attraction, like the US/Hawaii.

Another reason is that during a visit to Spain in 2014 to promote ORAS, the team did research, which they usually do for new regions.

Next, we bring up Kalos. Kalos is, obviously, based on France. However, Kalos is also the only region that never got revisited after its debut games. Kanto had Yellow/FRLG, Johto had Crystal/HGSS, Hoenn had Emerald/ORAS, Sinnoh had Platinum, Unova had B2W2, Alola had USUM.

However, a Spanish region would be a perfect way to revisit Kalos. Generation VIII will be the first game on the Switch, which has a high processing power. What better way to show that off than to pull a Johto and have two regions in the game? Europe is very interconnected through railway, and Spain is right next to France. Making a region based off of Spain would provide a nice reason to maybe revisit Kalos in the post game, like how players revisited Kanto in the Johto games.

The final piece of evidence is the new movie trailer. Ash has one notable design change: his collar. In particular, it shares the exact same color scheme with the Spanish flag.

So with all of that said, are you still confused? And if so, where, specifically?
So? Let people have their own opinions. Its just a theory. It could bare fruit or it might not. USUM just came out. It'll be months before we hear anything about Gen 8 anyways.
So we're to kill all discussion because it's not relevant enough yet? Where's the fun in that?

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So we're to kill all discussion because it's not relevant enough yet? Where's the fun in that?
Knew you were gonna say that. :laugh:

Dude seriously. Chill. Nobody is telling you to stop. They're telling you what they think of it. You can't expect everyone to go along with it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Probably won't come up for anyone but in case any of you are ever dabbling into Sonic fan games and run into one called "Sonic Gather Battle", don't download it, it has malicious DRM in it that goes as far as tracking your browsing activity. It also gets all weird and creepy if you try to do certain things like use a cheat engine.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
If Sinnoh remakes happen, all I ask is for new Megas or Region Forms.

I starve for both, and the possibility for a white fur coated Ice/Fighting Lucario still gnaws at my bones.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Probably won't come up for anyone but in case any of you are ever dabbling into Sonic fan games and run into one called "Sonic Gather Battle", don't download it, it has malicious DRM in it that goes as far as tracking your browsing activity. It also gets all weird and creepy if you try to do certain things like use a cheat engine.

Yeesh, this sounds like a legit creepypasta

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeesh, this sounds like a legit creepypasta
The creepypasta like part isn't even the issue. It'd be a cheap scare for some, but would be fine otherwise.

Basically, the game prevents you from opening programs such as Cheat Engine while playing it. If it detects such programs, it will close them.

Opening your web browser and searching for "gather battle cheats" or "gather battle fix" or similar search terms will result in your browser being closed.

The game also briefly opens a website behind the scenes called "What's my IP Address?" and uses that to send your IP Address to the creator's cloud server.

It will also close whenever you open any programs like Avast Antivirus that could identify its malicious activity.

The game will also brick your save data and give you a folder to send to the dev. If he doesn't detect signs of tampering or using things like Cheat Engine, he will patch your save and send it back, and white list your IP Address so you can use your browser as normal again.

The game is a trojan virus essentially, and steals sensitive information, while also having an element of ransomware to it. If you ever have installed the game, you would probably have to re-install Windows to make sure all traces of it are removed.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The Fighting EX Layer beta should be going up later today.

Also Detective Pikachu lives.
I actually had no expectations of the Detective Pikachu game getting localized (then again, the movie)

But one question is the game's cliffhanger going to be addressed in some way?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

It makes perfect sense.
Zygarde is not Nighogg, I thought we talked about this Opossum!

I do see where you're going with this theory, but to be honest, I feel the Tapu point isn't that strong. It is true that legendaries can (though it's never been confirmed to be so, just speculated) take from multiple sources, but with them you can attribute their influences to other elements that don't have to do with those specific countries. Tapu Koko for instance you relate to America due to being a chicken and that's a popular food item, but chickens (or rather roosters) also have connections to other countries and cultures that could've easily taken precedence over that similarity such as Greek's Alectryon (who was supposed to stand guard for Ares while he slept with Aphrodite), one of the Hawaiian Kupua (was said to be cruel and destructive) or just cockfighting in general. Additionally, the only other Tapu you say could also be attributed to a popular delicacy in a certain country is Fini, which would leave the ideology inconsistent among the Tapus since that means two took inspiration from food items while the other two drew from other sources. Finally, that part of the theory also ignores the presence of Kalos, which is not represented in any way. If the idea is that they're connected to specific regions then it would make sense to give France some form of presence there (even if it's just a minor nod), but instead it's just being glossed over entirely which leaves a notable hole in that representation.

In general, I don't think the Tapus add to the point of this theory as conceptually it's a little inconsistent in the supposed inspiration of them and they may draw from other sources that could fit their concept much better. I can see Spain being a possibility, but I don't think the Tapus would've been the source of any hints for that.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If Sinnoh remakes happen, all I ask is for new Megas or Region Forms.

I starve for both, and the possibility for a white fur coated Ice/Fighting Lucario still gnaws at my bones.
Mega Empoleon and Mega Yanmega please.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Went to two different stores today and couldn't find that Super Mario Cereal. It wasn't because of being sold out because I didn't see a dedicated spot on the shelves.

I'll try some other day

Look at me, a grown man store hunting for a kid's breakfast product. :p

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just make a GC Virtual Console. I already have a Gamecube, but I know other people want it.Even if you can't get a ton of licensed titles or anything, at least do it for Path of Radiance. Since I'd rather not kick out 200 bucks.

Also, to make people shut up about a re-release of Melee for a little bit. And maybe, just maybe, no one has to drag a crt around with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom