• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yes, in my opinion it is weird to be serious on a fictional character...
SORRY...
No no no its ok
I was just sharing an opinion, but I agree, it is pretty weird to be that serious about a fictional character and even funnier the user the tweeted that isnt even a chick with big breasts

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A different strategy also works as well. Sometimes it might not be your level, but what you are doing. Sometimes if what you are doing currently doing isn't working, even changing a bit of your currant strategy can have drastic results. Where's that, "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting results to be different each time." quote? And probably a less crushing answer compared to showing XC level 120 Superboss getting beaten at level 40.
This didn't pop up when I hit 'show more posts' but I did change my strategy. Multiple times. For the XC1 boss anyway, because that didn't suddenly introduce stupid gimmicks and expect you to know without context. There was also a boss that randomly changed if it was immune to physical attacks or projectiles iirc and the game's only indicator is a tiny detail on the boss you wouldn't easily notice

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Found a DDLCxFE thing on r/DDLC.
Funny enough, I just got done watching the Grumps do part one of their playthrough of this today.
Poor Dan's gonna be scarred because Arin is acting like it's a normal dating sim. I'm just waiting for it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Everything circles back to boobs it seems.
I can't tell if there is a hidden pun or if it's my immaturity rounding one up.
The issue people have isn't that the design is targeted to a certain group, but rather the group that's being targeted: the Lowest Common Denominator.

And comparing Link to, say, Pyra is kind of disingenuous, especially when the latter is basically designed as a sex object (literally, too, considering she's a sword). It's pandering and arguably sexist.
Aren't all attractive Female characters pandering?

Seriously, when any person has creative control of a character, they have full control on what they want to look like. Every attractive female character is meant to be attractive in the first place. Making a character attractive is already pandering, regardless on the crowd it chooses or how good of a character they are. When it comes to pandering, Pyra isn't any different from characters like Samus, Cammy or Lara Croft.
One of the reasons why it's silly to make a big deal about a created fictional character. Cause if someone wants to make an attractive character, let them. It's ultimately their product. It's not like that character is Helen of Troy and that character's beauty brings actual gruesome war around them.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Funny enough, I just got done watching the Grumps do part one of their playthrough of this today.
Poor Dan's gonna be scarred because Arin is acting like it's a normal dating sim. I'm just waiting for it.
And Dan will probably have the most affection for Sayori or Yuri and that never ends well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Kos-Mos in Xenoblade 2 is cool.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Thanks EA.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo pushed the Direct to February because of this. Though I doubt it personally.

And lol ResetERA. The same website that didn't let me register because i'm using a free e-mail address. As if me using a paid account makes me any difference.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo pushed the Direct to February because of this. Though I doubt it personally.

And lol ResetERA. The same website that didn't let me register because i'm using a free e-mail address. As if me using a paid account makes me any different
That's them being strict to not let just anyone in, or potential alt accounts iirc

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
And lol ResetERA. The same website that didn't let me register because i'm using a free e-mail address. As if me using a paid account makes me any different
It's to prevent a flood of trolls and alt accounts though some do slip through the cracks.
Great place to have discussions on stuff without people that unironically spout crap about "teh evil SJWs" getting in the way constantly.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Welcome to crazya after dark
big donk tity

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The issue people have isn't that the design is targeted to a certain group, but rather the group that's being targeted: the Lowest Common Denominator.
Any proof on that?
Just how on earth did you come up with the term "The Lowest Common Denominator"? Try to make a stereotypical term on a certain design... just saying...
And it's not like I am fond with every of those kind of designs, I still have my own line...
And not being a coward or anything, you should also reply this on AkaiRiot's Twitter and see what he thinks...
"Maybe you aren't its target audience" is what I hear when people defend bad shows from legit criticism. A design can appeal to a specific audience but it should try to not turn away others immediatelly.
And you may still enjoy it but that doesn't change the fact it may be bad.
Here's the cue... this isn't a show persay... this is a video game that you can decide whether you want to buy it or not.
Should I bring up XCX's censorship again? Where people actually criticize on some of the censorship like the removal of bust slider?
The main problem isn't the big boobs(which is one, no woman should have boobs that big and a functional back at the same time), it's the sexualisation with no reason for being so, it's literally only done in that way to appeal to a very specific group. To others, it breaks their suspension of disbelief which is literally the second last thing you want in a story.
It really shouldn't be the issue in my opinion, since I didn't really care too much about Pyra's bust and her design... it is those who specifically points out Pyra's breast are those who cause this problem... if you don't like it then don't even bother buy the game in the first place, everyone has their own taste when it comes to video games, you can't bash on a certain genre/design/troupe just because you don't like it. But it is okay to give your two cents nonetheless, but it is also my right to have my own two cents on your two cents.
And as long as the design doesn't affect the plot, or the characters toy around with Pyra's design, I'm fine...
Pyra's design wouldn't even be bad if it showed less skin, the color palette fits nicely and the outfit looks good but one misplaced piece breaks it apart.
It's the same problem Awakening!Celica had(and the lolification) and no one can convince me that THAT thing is godd design.
I wouldn't be mind either, but again... is show more skin bad? you ahve to agreed with me it would be awful if they did censorship on Pyra's design in the west, it will be laughably sad...

If it's not your favorite design then fine... and that's really not lolification if she was set as an actual loli in awakening... but hey I don't really know much about the term of lolification so don't quote me on that...
Again, you're implying that because something awful happens a lot, it isn't a big deal. It ABSOLUTELY is a big deal that people get harassed for giving their opinion.

Xenoblade 1's final boss was a tough challenge that tested your abilities. Phase 2 out of 5 of XCX's final boss was "Oh, you didn't KNOW about this thing that we suddenly introduced behind your back without foreshadowing and didn't tell you about? Tough ****!"
It summons 7 orbs that buff the final boss, a few boost stats of the boss, one attacks you, one heals the boss and one makes the boss INVINCIBLE. And they only take double digit damage from Skells, the things that are incredibly powerful and never had anything that specifically resisted them before this point if you merely played the main game. Then if you survive Phase 3 begins and you're forced to fight 10 monsters at once, and Xenoblade's combat system doesn't allow players to attack multiple targets at once. Then the final 2 phases are incredibly powerful and have a "**** you player" attack that instantly make Skells have zero fuel regardless of what they had or just outright nuke them randomly. Oh, and the final area is a point of no return, so if you don't have your Skell anymore, tough ****, you aren't getting it back unless you quit the game and load your save file again
That's not a challenge, that's just ****ting on the player left and right. Especially as the final moments of a game are your final impressions usually. Doesn't help the characters were being dumb and artificially added 3 phases.
That said, since XCX and XC bosses are different, I am not gonna say anything about that... however...

Battling the final boss isn't the final moments in the game, the ending is... and XC's ending was amazing...
Oh god isn't it the same designer?
Coincidentally, yes.
I even compare her design with Pyra and they both share similarities, hell Shishoe even used to say Pyra's design is way better than Celica's...
And comparing Link to, say, Pyra is kind of disingenuous, especially when the latter is basically designed as a sex object (literally, too, considering she's a sword). It's pandering and arguably sexist.
In my opinion... this quote is even more of a sexist... at least this is how I think... I mean Link is okay who is a dude (Even be able to dress up as a girl in Botw) and Pyra who was recently introduced... is not okay...
No no no its ok
I was just sharing an opinion, but I agree, it is pretty weird to be that serious about a fictional character and even funnier the user the tweeted that isnt even a chick with big breasts
You should know that that tweet was sarcasm... and Akairiot and me awares that not everyone agrees with this... his point was even Link's design seems unrealistic as well... you don't see a real warrior fighting without armors... and you can't just criticized on a certain gender not okay and the other okay...

Aren't all attractive Female characters pandering?

Seriously, when any person has creative control of a character, they have full control on what they want to look like. Every attractive female character is meant to be attractive in the first place. Making a character attractive is already pandering, regardless on the crowd it chooses or how good of a character they are. When it comes to pandering, Pyra isn't any different from characters like Samus, Cammy or Lara Croft.
One of the reasons why it's silly to make a big deal about a created fictional character. Cause if someone wants to make an attractive character, let them. It's ultimately their product. It's not like that character is Helen of Troy and that character's beauty brings actual gruesome war around them.
At least people also went wild on Mario wearing boxer shorts on Odyssey... that made sense since Odyssey is an E10+ game...
But you are arguing on a T rated game... same with how there was a controversy on the removal of one of Tracer's old pose where she just literally shows her back... and some also get offended by that... also yeah, some still criticizes Tracer, Window Maker and even D. Va's design being sexualized... so not a surprise I guess...
It was my fault...

Jojalole

Henshin a go go baby!
Switch FC
SW 7943 9867 0675
So, I think it's time I make my debut in this page... Nice to meet you all guys! I've been reading this thread for more than a year, and made this account just to follow this single thread. I never intended to take part, but after some time, I finally decided to introduce myself. So yeah, I'm new, but also I am not...

There's not much to say about me right now, just a guy that likes videogames and want to share opinions on the Internet! I'm really excited to take part in this thread.

But why today of all days? Well, tomorrow is the big day, and the reason I bought the Nintendo Switch is coming finally. All this talk about Xenoblade made me want to take part, and contribute a little about it.

Just for the record, I love Xenoblade, and just wanted to give some shoutouts to mario123007 mario123007 , because he always came here talking about Xenoblade with passion and love for the game, and I'm glad there are great fans of the franchise in here! Just know that I appreciate the posts you've made about this game.

So yeah, that's my introduction. From now on, I'll try to contribute to this thread as much as I can. Pleased to meet you all, hope we can have some great times in here!

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
crazya after dark 2
my hobby is marching into the battlefield wearing nothing except a chainmail crescent covering my buttcrack and ding dong

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So, I think it's time I make my debut in this page... Nice to meet you all guys! I've been reading this thread for more than a year, and made this account just to follow this single thread. I never intended to take part, but after some time, I finally decided to introduce myself. So yeah, I'm new, but also I am not...

There's not much to say about me right now, just a guy that likes videogames and want to share opinions on the Internet! I'm really excited to take part in this thread.

But why today of all days? Well, tomorrow is the big day, and the reason I bought the Nintendo Switch is coming finally. All this talk about Xenoblade made me want to take part, and contribute a little about it.

Just for the record, I love Xenoblade, and just wanted to give some shoutouts to mario123007 mario123007 , because he always came here talking about Xenoblade with passion and love for the game, and I'm glad there are great fans of the franchise in here! Just know that I appreciate the posts you've made about this game.

So yeah, that's my introduction. From now on, I'll try to contribute to this thread as much as I can. Pleased to meet you all, hope we can have some great times in here!
Welcome to Smashboard and this thread! I hope you have a great time!^^

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Same with me back in 2014, I have visited Smashboard some times, only until August I joined.

Same with me, even though Odyssey was also the reason why I bought Nintendo Switch.
But it was all because Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that I gave Nintendo Switch presentation a pass, and have been postive on Nintendo Switch, and glad the system is a seller.

Thanks for the shoutout bro, but right now you will notice I am in a midst of many complaints on Pyra's design... and I was the one who started it...
I mean it seems that XC2 got plenty of criticism on many trifle things, such as the new anime artstyle, Pyra's design, Rex's baggy pants etc... those are fair share of personal nitpicks but it's so odd how some people take them seriously.
Also I am a bit disappointed on XC2's Metacritic score, I know we should take review scores too seriously but 85 on Metacritic is only one point higher than X, X was okay but it had linear story. Whereas this game is trying to grasp those who enjoyed both. So sad that it only got generally favorable reviews rather than critical acclaim. But I believe the designs weren't the main factor.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Here's the cue... this isn't a show persay... this is a video game that you can decide whether you want to buy it or not.
Should I bring up XCX's censorship again? Where people actually criticize on some of the censorship like the removal of bust slider?

It really shouldn't be the issue in my opinion, since I didn't really care too much about Pyra's bust and her design... it is those who specifically points out Pyra's breast are those who cause this problem... if you don't like it then don't even bother buy the game in the first place, everyone has their own taste when it comes to video games, you can't bash on a certain genre/design/troupe just because you don't like it. But it is okay to give your two cents nonetheless, but it is also my right to have my own two cents on your two cents.
And as long as the design doesn't affect the plot, or the characters toy around with Pyra's design, I'm fine...

I wouldn't be mind either, but again... is show more skin bad? you ahve to agreed with me it would be awful if they did censorship on Pyra's design in the west, it will be laughably sad...

If it's not your favorite design then fine... and that's really not lolification if she was set as an actual loli in awakening... but hey I don't really know much about the term of lolification so don't quote me on that...

That said, since XCX and XC bosses are different, I am not gonna say anything about that... however...

Battling the final boss isn't the final moments in the game, the ending is... and XC's ending was amazing...

Coincidentally, yes.
I even compare her design with Pyra and they both share similarities, hell Shishoe even used to say Pyra's design is way better than Celica's...

In my opinion... this quote is even more of a sexist... at least this is how I think... I mean Link is okay who is a dude (Even be able to dress up as a girl in Botw) and Pyra who was recently introduced... is not okay...

You should know that that tweet was sarcasm... and Akairiot and me awares that not everyone agrees with this... his point was even Link's design seems unrealistic as well... you don't see a real warrior fighting without armors... and you can't just criticized on a certain gender not okay and the other okay...

At least people also went wild on Mario wearing boxer shorts on Odyssey... that made sense since Odyssey is an E10+ game...
But you are arguing on a T rated game... same with how there was a controversy on the removal of one of Tracer's old pose where she just literally shows her back... and some also get offended by that... also yeah, some still criticizes Tracer, Window Maker and even D. Va's design being sexualized... so not a surprise I guess...

It was my fault...
It doesn't need to be a show, that argument gets used for games too.
XCX's only 'censorship' issue was the bust slider but only because it outright removed something in the character customization
"If you don't like the designs don't buy the game" I'm a fan of Xenoblade, I have the Shulk amiibo, the collector's edition of X, the Xenoblade New 3DS (as in the one that came with a free theme, coverplates and the game). I'm a fan of Xenoblade but don't like the designs here due to the different direction, and although Kamen Rider seasons taught me "Hey maybe the bad designs aren't a sign of the show/game's quality", I don't like how it's more lewd and pervy in terms of design than previous games, then there's stuff like Rex and the fact that you can no longer customize clothes
It isn't just more skin, it's just unneeded. For example, Bayonetta, who becomes outright naked in her games when you use Wicked Weaves. I don't mind that because Bayonetta's personality makes me think "Yeah this is ok" because it fits her character. Just slapping sex appeal for no reason is just there for people to masturbate over
Shish means that she looked like a child (see Nowi from Awakening as a character people want to have more clothes on)
Better doesn't mean good. Sonic Forces has a better story than 06 for example
I'm aware they're different. That's why I compared them
The ending of X was **** too, but I already felt bitter for having to fight that awful 5 phase boss. It isn't fun, it's frustrating, and a final boss being beaten shouldn't make me feel "****ing finally I'm so sick of that ****"
It'd be more accurate if Link's chest was exposed, had nothing but a speedo and a big ass bulge in said speedo. Plus, Link's design fits the fantasy setting
If the tweet was sarcasm why use it as a genuine point for your argument?
In terms of that Tracer pose, it was actually criticized for being plain for such a spunky character. The person who first gave criticism said the new pose fit her

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
When I get a Switch and Xenoblade 2, I'll play it the right way.

-Disregard every other Blade
-KOS-MOS only
-TENERITAS DESTINATION

D

Deleted member

Who the hell even pays for e-mails when you can have one for free? Like, I can get the idea of preventing trolls and alt accounts but that just screws people who aren't willing to spend money on things they can get for free
You can also choose to watch a show or not but that's not the issue.
Pyra's design isn't a dealbreaker to me, all I'm doing is providing criticism to something that could be improved.
(I'm still not buying XC2 but that's because I'm simply not interested)
You may not care, but a lot of people do.
Pointing out the elephant in the room isn't what's causing the problem, it's the elephant itself. Ignoring it just makes it worse.
And bashing a trope one doesn't like is perfectly valid unless I'm supposed to accept Deus Ex Machinas or stuff like that simply because some others do.
Censorship isn't inheretly bad. I'd rather have a decent design.

Showing skin isn't inheretly bad either but Pyra shows WAY too much, there needs to be a balance. The way she is it looks like she's wearing pajama shorts with an armor that doesn't cover her whole torso.
Celica was turned into a little girl in Awakening for no reason. You can't argue that they simply changed it for Awakening because she was always the same age as Alm who is clearly adolescent in Awakening.

FEA!Celica also has the sane pajama shorts problem and it doesn't even seem like she's wearing anything but a flappy piece of cloth
Link has never been outright sexualised and wears reasonable clothes for a person. You don't see him running around on his underwear.

Also, the design needs to fit the character, a character who WANTS to show skin SHOULD show skin but there's nothing about Pyra that suggests that.
There's also the need of context.
It's why and Charlotte's designs looks good while Camilla's and sucks ass:
Charlotte's fits her character and the fact she foregoes armor is shown through her Fighter class who are known for their ****ty defense. Camilla's may fit her character but she's riding an undead wyvern: riding horses without pants is already painful now add scales, flying motion and whatever nasty diseases a flying corpse carries. Not to mention that she's supposed to take hits so how the hell dow she do that without a proper breastplate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivander

Smash Legend
This subject better come to an end soon. Even I won't let this go on forever without consequence. Don't make me break out the box of nightmares.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
XCX's only 'censorship' issue was the bust slider but only because it outright removed something in the character customization
People also complained about Lin being more covered up in her swimsuit gear despite her being a minor.

This subject better come to an end soon. Even I won't let this go on forever without consequence. Don't make me break out the box of nightmares.
Or you can post something actually constructive to try and start a new subject.
But sure whining that people are talking about something totally works...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's them being strict to not let just anyone in, or potential alt accounts iirc
It's to prevent a flood of trolls and alt accounts though some do slip through the cracks.
Great place to have discussions on stuff without people that unironically spout crap about "teh evil SJWs" getting in the way constantly.

I get that, I was excited to see what my experience would be like on ResetERA but that never came to pass because of the E-Mail rule.

I get that they want to prevent trolls and stuff but I don't see the difference being on a paid e-mail service would make. They still have to approve the account and even then the could just ban people who do those kinds of things if they registered.

Smashboards has it's trolls every now and then but it's still manageable. Mods do their job well in that aspect.

All in all it's a dumb rule and i'm not going to spend money for an E-Mail service I can get for free just to be on that site. They should think of an alternative that's more practical to enforce.
Wait, free email? So I cant sign up if I use Gmail?

Paid/free email is still weird to me
Yeah. Totally impractical. Who would ever want a paid e-mail service anyways? Anyone can get that stuff for free.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I get that they want to prevent trolls and stuff but I don't see the difference being on a paid e-mail service would make. They still have to approve the account and even then the could just ban people who do those kinds of things if they registered.
It's a necessary extra step. Not everyone is willing to pay for an email and not everyone is going to be in a position where they are supplied with their own email for College/Uni/Work.

Smashboards has it's trolls every now and then but it's still manageable. Mods do their job well in that aspect.
Smashboards is a far smaller forum than ERA. ERA is a general gaming forum with an off topic area that covers pretty much everything. Smashboards' primary focus is on Smash which is only a small part of gaming as a whole. The non-Smash stuff doesn't really get much activity either outside of Nintendo stuff. Even then it's still really just this thread.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
"If you don't like the designs don't buy the game" I'm a fan of Xenoblade, I have the Shulk amiibo, the collector's edition of X, the Xenoblade New 3DS (as in the one that came with a free theme, coverplates and the game). I'm a fan of Xenoblade but don't like the designs here due to the different direction, and although Kamen Rider seasons taught me "Hey maybe the bad designs aren't a sign of the show/game's quality", I don't like how it's more lewd and pervy in terms of design than previous games, then there's stuff like Rex and the fact that you can no longer customize clothes
Well... you gotta realize something... there were some lewd armor back in the original Xenoblade and X, but I do give you a benefit of the doubt that this time Pyra's design is default and not optional, that said it's pretty odd you are complaining about this in a T rate game don't you think? As for Rex's that's a totally reasonable opinion, even though I didn't really care that much, but no customization is a huge pity...

It isn't just more skin, it's just unneeded. For example, Bayonetta, who becomes outright naked in her games when you use Wicked Weaves. I don't mind that because Bayonetta's personality makes me think "Yeah this is ok" because it fits her character. Just slapping sex appeal for no reason is just there for people to masturbate over
But you see Pyra utilizing any of her sexual aesthetics in the game... for now...
And tbh... this isn't even enough for me to masturbate over... only the actual lewd ones can... which is normal...right? (Don't quote me on this one... sweat...)

Shish means that she looked like a child (see Nowi from Awakening as a character people want to have more clothes on)
So... a child in a game... with cloths and shorts is bad?
I also take back about Shishoe saying Pyra's design is better than Celica, he implied he started to worry about the designs... I can't find the quote...
Better doesn't mean good. Sonic Forces has a better story than 06 for example
It depends the game in general... it seems that XC2 has some things that doesn't appeal to most people, and I'm not talking about the designs.
The ending of X was **** too, but I already felt bitter for having to fight that awful 5 phase boss. It isn't fun, it's frustrating, and a final boss being beaten shouldn't make me feel "****ing finally I'm so sick of that ****"
Bah, X's story wasn't that good anyway...
It'd be more accurate if Link's chest was exposed, had nothing but a speedo and a big *** bulge in said speedo. Plus, Link's design fits the fantasy setting
But... isn't Xenoblade also a JRPG that fits a fantasy setting?
It called XENOBlade for a reason...
If the tweet was sarcasm why use it as a genuine point for your argument?
The sarcasm was a parody for those who criticizes the designs not being practical or says it is for sexual appeal... in a humorous way

In terms of that Tracer pose, it was actually criticized for being plain for such a spunky character. The person who first gave criticism said the new pose fit her
Um... the more vocal criticism were that "Blizzard gives in to those SJWs" etc... but I digress, I was always neglect those controversies, only until the game I like also "sort of" involves in this..

You can also choose to watch a show or not but that's not the issue.
Pyra's design isn't a dealbreaker to me, all I'm doing is providing criticism to something that could be improved.
(I'm still not buying XC2 but that's because I'm simply not interested)
You have right to criticize certain designs but it shouldn't be regarded as something that needs to be "improved". I think it is better of you said "I wish Pyra's design can show less skin", like this I am totally fine with your opinion.
Tl;dr
In my opinion, you can criticize the design but please respect the design first. The artist (Not only Saitou) from Monolithsoft took years making and designing those characters....
You may not care, but a lot of people do.
Pointing out the elephant in the room isn't what's causing the problem, it's the elephant itself. Ignoring it just makes it worse.
And bashing a trope one doesn't like is perfectly valid unless I'm supposed to accept Deus Ex Machinas or stuff like that simply because some others do.
PROOF PLZ, I mean those like me who really likes Xenoblade care that much about the designs? You said you aren't getting the game, so why should I bother?
Really? I mean, does that elephant cause any disaster? if not, then don't find trouble....
Sorry if I suddenly sound offensive, I just think you (And some users here...) are taking the designs way too deep.
Censorship isn't inheretly bad. I'd rather have a decent design.

Showing skin isn't inheretly bad either but Pyra shows WAY too much, there needs to be a balance. The way she is it looks like she's wearing pajama shorts with an armor that doesn't cover her whole torso.
I am fine with religion censorship since these are really the ones that are serious...

Again, that's only your opinion... you can only wish her having less skin revealed but don't say less skin= better...
Celica was turned into a little girl in Awakening for no reason. You can't argue that they simply changed it for Awakening because she was always the same age as Alm who is clearly adolescent in Awakening.

FEA!Celica also has the sane pajama shorts problem and it doesn't even seem like she's wearing anything but a flappy piece of cloth
You did mention you were worrying on Saitou's design, but you seem to be bothered by his design...

Link has never been outright sexualised and wears reasonable clothes for a person. You don't see him running around on his underwear.
59fd05b1364dd63b3bd1f058574baa0e.jpg

Well... I do give you a benefit of the doubt that at least you can customize Link... but still...
I just Monolithsoft didn't ditch out the customizable armor... so odd that Botw and Odyssey has it, but Xenoblade 2 doesn't have it this time...
It's why and Charlotte's designs looks good while Camilla's and sucks ***:
Charlotte's fits her character and the fact she foregoes armor is shown through her Fighter class who are known for their ****ty defense. Camilla's may fit her character but she's riding an undead wyvern: riding horses without pants is already painful now add scales, flying motion and whatever nasty diseases a flying corpse carries. Not to mention that she's supposed to take hits so how the hell dow she do that without a proper breastplate?
Again, another reasonable but personal opinion... even though my most fav is... Pieri... who wears armor for god's sake...

Camilla again you have some fair points, even though some wish Camilla have more practical armor but it's the design...
I'll just leave AkaiRiot's tweet regarding opinions:
Whew boy...time to get away from the Twitter for awhile. Stating an opinion always leads to neverending debates. = _ = My closing statement: I recognize that different people will value different things, and that's okay. Do your thing, let other people do their thing.
FYI I actually have aware AkaiRiot's fanarts. I remember I notice his fanart when I was checking some Rosalina fanarts on KnowYourMeme and Deviantart back in 2014... his first fanart was a Rosalina fanart... it was good looking.. but also a bit NSFW...

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Or you can post something actually constructive to try and start a new subject.
But sure whining that people are talking about something totally works...

You mean some of us didn't before? Or does talking just about Xenoblade's gameplay instead of it's designs still count as talking about designs and sexiness? Does Fire Emblem Heroes talk count as well? Regardless, as Swamp put it, everything circles back to boobs it seems.

What I am saying now is since the subject hasn't been getting better, change it to something else or I will change the subject to something unfavourable that will involve me haunting the dreams of everybody here.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Friendly reminder that if anyone intends to play Gravity Rush 2, the online services for the game end after January 18th, cutting you off from some of the unlockables.

Just got the last of those unlockables for myself.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
You mean some of us didn't before? Or does talking just about Xenoblade's gameplay instead of it's designs still count as talking about designs and sexiness? Does Fire Emblem Heroes talk count as well? Regardless, as Swamp put it, everything circles back to boobs it seems.

What I am saying now is since the subject hasn't been getting better, change it to something else or I will change the subject to something unfavourable that will involve me haunting the dreams of everybody here.
Let's just enjoy these SFW Xenoblade fanarts then...
I'm having a Nice Young face on this pic...
What does Pyra have to do with Manchester City FC?
Also to appeal those who prefer Pyra's cloths showing less skin...
HAPPY NOW?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Guys, less subject we already covered yesterday, more welcoming party for Jojalole Jojalole .

I remember when I lurked a social here for months before pulling the trigger. Can't help but feel kinship on that.

Also FYI as far as the ResetERA topic goes college emails and ISP emails count towards paid accounts if you have one of those.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
What do people have against arena fighters? MHA wouldn't really fit with as a 2D fighter.

It's obviously 3D though, but whether it is actually a fighting game or just an action game isn't clear(I still believe it's a fighting game because that's what makes the most money for Bamco nowadays)
People said that about Dragon Ball, and ArcSys made it work. Give it to them and they could easily make it work in a 2D environment.

D

Deleted member

You have right to criticize certain designs but it shouldn't be regarded as something that needs to be "improved". I think it is better of you said "I wish Pyra's design can show less skin", like this I am totally fine with your opinion.
This conformist behaviour is what leads to these issues being constant. If we simply accept it, it's going to continue there. If something can be improved or fixed then we should aim for that goal.
In my opinion, you can criticize the design but please respect the design first. The artist (Not only Saitou) from Monolithsoft took years making and designing those characters....
I'm not going to respect a design that didn't even respect the character itself
PROOF PLZ, I mean those like me who really likes Xenoblade care that much about the designs?
Why do you think the "I fixed Pyra hire me Nintendo" meme even started? Or why this whole debate is going on?
You said you aren't getting the game, so why should I bother?
What does this even have to do with anything?
Really? I mean, does that elephant cause any disaster? if not, then don't find trouble....
Because that just means more problems will arise in the future since they believe they can get away with it.
Pyra may not be a dealbreaker but all the other Blades have the same kind of design and that ends up with a huge part of the game being Problematic™
I am fine with religion censorship since these are really the ones that are serious...

Again, that's only your opinion... you can only wish her having less skin revealed but don't say less skin= better...
Just saying it's my opinion doesn't take away the criticism, by this logic I can say that Pyra's design being good is just your opinion so don't say "more skin=better"

Well... I do give you a benefit of the doubt that at least you can customize Link... but still...
I just Monolithsoft didn't ditch out the customizable armor... so odd that Botw and Odyssey has it, but Xenoblade 2 doesn't have it this time...
-He isn't sexualised
-Official materials depict him wearing clothes
-Not wearing anything is prejudicial
-There's story reasoning for starting like that
-HE ISN'T SEXUALISED
Again, another reasonable but personal opinion... even though my most fav is... Pieri... who wears armor for god's sake...

Camilla again you have some fair points, even though some wish Camilla have more practical armor but it's the design...
Like, no, it's not my opinion.
Her design doesn't make sense, it literally doesn't fit her character.

And Peri has the same opening in the back of her armor as Effie and every other female character(which males don't have btw!!!!)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Apollo Justice is following me.

This pleases me greatly.

Also hi.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Let's just enjoy these SFW Xenoblade fanarts then...

I'm having a Nice Young face on this pic...

What does Pyra have to do with Manchester City FC?
Also to appeal those who prefer Pyra's cloths showing less skin...

HAPPY NOW?
I never thought Id see my dads main soccer team in XC fanart

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Any proof on that?
Just how on earth did you come up with the term "The Lowest Common Denominator"? Try to make a stereotypical term on a certain design... just saying...
And it's not like I am fond with every of those kind of designs, I still have my own line...
And not being a coward or anything, you should also reply this on AkaiRiot's Twitter and see what he thinks...
The LCD in this case refers to people who just want to ogle scantily-clad female characters. That's the lowest common denominator and it's clearly what they were going for when designing some of the characters. And I'm not making a throwaway Twitter account to get into a debate about lewdness in games.

Someone can absolutely give their opinion on a character design without buying the game. I'm not wasting sixty bucks on a game for a system I don't even have in a series that isn't my cup of tea to "validate" my opinion of a character design. It's fine that you're fine. But it's also fine that others aren't.

I don't agree that it'd be awful. I'd see it as an improvement on said design.

That's misrepresenting my argument completely.

Link is okay because the design has more than a shred of dignity. Pyra's barely wearing clothes at all. Add in the fact that her outfit accentuates her legs, ass, and already-accentuated boobs, and it becomes clear that sex appeal came first with Pyra's design, undermining her worth as a character as little more than eye candy, from what we've seen. And she's literally objectified, being an object used by Rex.

A proper comparison would be if Link were nude save for a banana-hammock barely concealing his massive junk, highlighting his well-toned butt, and sporting an eight pack.

This is also something I just want to point out: in medieval times, not everyone could afford armor. Villagers had a breastplate if they were lucky, and most peasants had none. Only nobility had full suits, for the most part. OoT Link comes from a village in the middle of the woods. Chances are he couldn't afford armor.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I find Pyra with a Manchester City shirt more offensive than any lewd.
Mythra in a ManUnited shirt FTW

Jk, I hate soccer.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
People said that about Dragon Ball, and ArcSys made it work. Give it to them and they could easily make it work in a 2D environment.
Which is weird since there's been quite a few 2D Dragon Ball games. The only real question is whether or not said game would get the time and development like certain Marvel and DC Licensed games would get. Not just from their fighters, the Spider-Man, Batman and occasional X-Men game usually get more time and/or money put into them. Which is why things like Ultimate Spider-Man or the Arkham series are remembered well, they get time put into them.

I don't doubt the MHA game is likely some lower tier title. But the franchise is still fresh and hasn't had many games at all, it'll be a good way to test its popularity game-wise I think.

Besides, if ArcSys does another Jump fighter, it'll probably be One Piece or Naruto, even if JoJo or MHA would be more hype.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Supa' Manchester Lad and the Invasion of the Fih Robot Bihs" is the most controversial video game of 2017 for some reason.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
A proper comparison would be if Link were nude save for a banana-hammock barely concealing his massive junk, highlighting his well-toned butt, and sporting an eight pack.
Thanks for the unwanted but incredibly well detailed mental picture, Opo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom