• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
He was added because Final Fantasy is a highly popular series, and I bet Final Fantasy was among one of the most requested series on the ballet.
So, can I get a video of Cloud doing ballet now?
Preferably with R.O.B. and G&W.

Super Ballet Bros is the best new fighting game.
Screw DBFZ, BBCTB, Noctis in Tekken, and all the rest
Oh no no P5 so belongs there, for sure
Agreed.
It wasn't my favorite game this year, but I loved it, and it definitely deserves its place.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
To no ones surprise Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are GOTY nominees...as well as a billion other categories...Horizen Zero Dawn in the same boat...surprised Nier Automata wasn't nominated, people were raving pretty hard about it early in the year...

Metroid is nominated for best handheld so at least its present!!

Also noticed Arms is nominated for best fighting game...lol

Chrono.

nah it belongs there, it was my game of the year uptill odysse (breath of the wild was lacking in a few areas)
To be honest my biggest issue with the game is the writing. It plays it way too safe and doesn't let it's character develop much farther than their Designated Anime Trope.

Gameplay and presentation wise it's top notch (and despite my gripes with the writing, it's still the only Persona game I can say it's fun)
> Looks at GotY nominees
> " PUBG"
> Still in Early Access and doesn't leave until it after The Game Awards
> Mixed Reviews on Steam

Damn I thought it was actually finished.

Guess they REALLY wanted a multiplayer game in there.
To no ones surprise Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are GOTY nominees...as well as a billion other categories...Horizen Zero Dawn in the same boat...surprised Nier Automata wasn't nominated, people were raving pretty hard about it early in the year...
My entire Twitter feed is up in arms about PUBG getting in over Nier so they're still raving.

D

Deleted member

Sacred Stones is the game that made me love Generals and you know why? It's not even because of the cool ass design, full WT or BFS. Nope. It's because of this ****ing skill
1997 - Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (U)(TrashMan)_02.png

Great Shield, aka Big Shield, negates all damage when it's activated. The catch is that its trigger % is equal to the unit's current level. What level is Gilliam, you may ask?
1997 - Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (U)(TrashMan)_03.png

4%. 4 ****ing percent chance to activate and it did. God****ingdamnit I love Gilliam so much. Look at him, he just laughs at your damage. The best part is seeing the skill activation animation before the enemy even attacks, it just puts you in a good mood and gives you plenty of time to laugh at them.
Only game to ever make Generals as good is Fates with its Wary Fighter but who needs that when you're doubling the main villain?

Still, nothing will ever beat the frustration of having Eirika attack Tirado with a 100% hit expecting him to die only for the ****** to trigger Great Shield. Tirado is a ****ing Lv1 General.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
To be honest my biggest issue with the game is the writing. It plays it way too safe and doesn't let it's character develop much farther than their Designated Anime Trope.

Gameplay and presentation wise it's top notch (and despite my gripes with the writing, it's still the only Persona game I can say it's fun)
Plays it safe?? it literaly had teacher ****** one of his students, physical abusing another and had one of said students try to kill themselves By falling off of the school roof

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Damn I thought it was actually finished.

Guess they REALLY wanted a multiplayer game in there.

My entire Twitter feed is up in arms about PUBG getting in over Nier so they're still raving.
Yeah...that one was the biggest headscratcher....P5 at least had a lot of hype behind its release so I can understand its nomination, but PUBG over Nier?...not so much...

But what do I know? I only played BotW and Odyssey out of the nominees...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Only major disappointment about the nominees is that Sonic Mania didn't at least get into Best Soundtrack. Honestly wouldn't mind Sonic Forces being there too.

It's in Best Family Game but it it's in there with three Mario games...

EDIT: God damn even the devs know.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really hope they fix the name issues with Fire Emblem Heroes and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

It irks me.

Chrono.

Only major disappointment about the nominees is that Sonic Mania didn't at least get into Best Soundtrack. Honestly wouldn't mind Sonic Forces being there too.

It's in Best Family Game but it it's in there with three Mario games...

EDIT: God damn even the devs know.

Mario Kart is probably winning here but it wouldn't shock me to see Splatoon take the win.

D

Deleted member

On Cloud: Say what you will about his lack of relevance to Nintendo, but the hype that surrounded his reveal was unmatched by most, if not all other Smash 4 newcomers. Probably no other Final Fantasy protagonist would've met with the same excitement from the general Smash community, and I honestly can't think of many characters in general (both "related to Nintendo" or otherwise) that would even come close if they were revealed for Smash 5.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
He was added because Final Fantasy is a highly popular series, and I bet Final Fantasy was among one of the most requested series on the ballet. He did consider Terra and Bartz, but Cloud is easily the most popular FF character. We're talking about the game that pretty much pushed the PlayStation even further than the Nintendo 64 and it sold more than previous FF games. Cloud not only represents Final Fantasy, but JRPGs as a whole and it made the genre more popular than it was before. After FF7, there was a large influx of RPG games on the PS1, making it the go-to system for RPG games.
Not to mention Cloud also plays a sour spot when it comes to Final Fantasy's relationship on Nintendo consoles. FF VII also marks the beginning of the series being on PS systems and Nintendo only gets the spin off series and never get the main games. This was also why a lot of people never expected Cloud to be in Smash Bros in the first place because we all used to thought characters that never appeared on Nintendo console won't be in Smash. And Cloud somewhat breaks that limit (See what I did there?)

Man, as far as the GOTY nominees go, Persona 5 really feels like it doesn't belong there.
In my opinion it is going to be the best JRPG this year (If there's no Xenoblade 2 in the list)

That said, here are my predictions, some choice are obvious while some are just guesses, so don't take it too seriously:

GOTY:
Super Mario Odyssey

Best Game Direction:
Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Best Narrative:
Nier: Automata

Best Art Direction:
Cuphead

Best Score / Music:
Persona 5

Best Audio Design:
Super Mario Odyssey

Best Performance:
Claudia Black, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Games for Impact:
Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Best Ongoing Game:

Overwatch

Best Mobile Game:
Fire Emblem Heroes

Best Handheld Game:
Metroid: Samus Returns

Best VR / AR Game:
Resident Evil 7

Best Action Game:
Wolfenstein II

Best Action / Adventure Game:
Super Mario Odyssey

Best Role Playing Game:
Persona 5

Best Fighting Game:
ARMS

Best Family Game:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Best Strategy Game:
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Best Sports / Racing Game:
Forza Motorsport 7

Best Multiplayer:
PlayerUnknown’s Battleground

Best Anticipated Game:
Red Dead Redemption II

Best Independent Game:
Cuphead

Best Student Game:

Trending Gamer:

Best eSports Game:
Overwatch

Best eSports Player:
Lee sang-hyeok “Faker”

Best eSports Team:
Lunatic-Hai

Best Debut Indie Game
Cuphead

Best Chinese Game
ICEY

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Question about Rocket League: Can you receive keys for crate from playing matches or is it purchase only?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I keep getting scam pop ups while using mobile with this site. Just this site.

Anyone else get those on mobile?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
On Cloud: Say what you will about his lack of relevance to Nintendo, but the hype that surrounded his reveal was unmatched by most, if not all other Smash 4 newcomers. Probably no other Final Fantasy protagonist would've met with the same excitement from the general Smash community, and I honestly can't think of many characters in general (both "related to Nintendo" or otherwise) that would even come close if they were revealed for Smash 5.
I imagine a reaction to someone like Doom Slayer would be the closest thing.

Cloud and Snake though, phew, they blew the doors off the internet when they were revealed it'll be hard to beat that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So Illumination Studios is doing a Mario movie.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Could it be bad? Always a possibility.

Will it look like as if the director knew jack **** about the series like its 1993 brother? Absolutely not.
Oh no doubt. That film was pretty much the sole reason Nintendo became so protective of their IP. :p

D

Deleted member

Have you seen this beautiful man? If so, please return him to FEH, I need him to come home

This art cleared my skin and cured my depression
Please IS, let my husband come home
So Illumination Studios is doing a Mario movie.
Oh man, I'm so excited for the Mario vs. Rabbids movie adaptation :kappa:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Honestly, while bad, I actually had some enjoyment from watching the 1993 Mario movie.

But a Mario movie I REALLY liked was "Super Mario Bros.: Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen!" (Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Peach). You find it easily online in either subs or even fan dubs.
My only complaint about that movie was that the ending suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Heh, with the news of Illumination doing a Mario Movie I feel that Despicable Me is a perfect candidate for Saturday's movie night.

Or literally any Illumination film for that matter.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Heh, with the news of Illumination doing a Mario Movie I feel that Despicable Me is a perfect candidate for Saturday's movie night.

Or literally any Illumination film for that matter.
The Minions are so everywhere that I don't remember any other movies that Studio made other than Despicable Me 1,2,3 and the Yellow Abominations Movie.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Could it be bad? Always a possibility.

Will it look like as if the director knew jack **** about the series like its 1993 brother? Absolutely not.
Illumination studio are known for cheap animation and reusing character models. And not the best writing...

They could make a popular movie. Probably not a good one

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The Minions are so everywhere that I don't remember any other movies that Studio made other than Despicable Me 1,2,3 and the Yellow Abominations Movie.
Yeah, the Minions shilling can be a problem. It's to the point where they are the mascots of Illumination Studios.

But all Despicable Me films are perfect. Minions? Well, it suffers from the same problem as Cars 2. Having an secondary character who's known to be annoying be the main focus.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not to mention Cloud also plays a sour spot when it comes to Final Fantasy's relationship on Nintendo consoles. FF VII also marks the beginning of the series being on PS systems and Nintendo only gets the spin off series and never get the main games. This was also why a lot of people never expected Cloud to be in Smash Bros in the first place because we all used to thought characters that never appeared on Nintendo console won't be in Smash. And Cloud somewhat breaks that limit (See what I did there?)
That isn't true with Cloud, actually. While characters appearing on a Nintendo console is a requirement, Cloud has had appearances in games on their consoles, albeit minor ones. He appeared in two Kingdom Hearts games and two Theaterhythm games before he got in Smash 4.
If it wasn't for these minor roles, Cloud would never get in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Despicable Me 1 was great.
DM2 was okay, not bad but meh.
I haven't watched DM3 but I can bet my ass it's 80% Minions and 15% "secret twin brother plot because these are always so fun". The other 5% are probably good tho.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Yeah, the Minions shilling can be a problem. It's to the point where they are the mascots of Illumination Studios.
Similar to the case how Ubi, or at least Ancel went from having Rayman as his mascot to the Rabbids.

But all Despicable Me films are perfect. Minions? Well, it suffers from the same problem as Cars 2. Having an secondary character who's known to be annoying be the main focus.
Yeah, that's right, though I have gotten the time to actually watch fully the 3 movies because...eh, I grew tired of the Minion overload.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
EA and Activision sure are doing a lot of things to make them likable.

Am I right? :troll:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
EA and Activision sure are doing a lot of things to make them likable.

Am I right? :troll:
It was confimed that the button was never removed but them saying "Taken your money" has them shooting themselve in the foot they already shot

I wonder how their AMA is going

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Someone translated the Japanese script of Sonic Forces and I'm watching it right now.

Shadow confirmed FE lord.

Also I can't post the image, but Knuckles refers to Infinite as a certain word that rhymes with "brick".

EDIT: Sonic calls him it too, damn! They REALLY hate Infinite in the JP version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom