• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I usually don't like to go back to recent topics too quickly, but I'm bored as of now and just feel like talking.

So we've discussed what makes a good villain, but what exactly makes a bad villain?(Not in terms of their morals, I just mean in terms of quality.) Examples would be nice too.
A villain that is only bad so the hero/es has/have someone to overcome.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There was a problem fetching the tweet

To nobody's surprise, Ridley had won. I've did you a favor while you're talking about Dragon Maid on Twitter AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 .

Thank God you are moving on to Prime soon. My vote will got for Dark Samus. Sylux is cool, but I'd give to it because it was the antagonist for two titles. And please leave the Federation Force soldiers out of this.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The perfect example of a bad villain is unfortunately is Sigma from Megaman X.

He has very little motivation and just wants world domination/control because of a virus.

He feels like he's less in control of himself.

While he is badass, he's so one dimensional it kinda hurts

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Edit: Eh, I'll just wait and see. It's not like I'm in a hurry

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Now I'm debating if I want to get the Switch at launch. It doesn't help that preorders are probably long gone after waiting.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

To nobody's surprise, Ridley had won. I've did you a favor while you're talking about Dragon Maid on Twitter AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 .

Thank God you are moving on to Prime soon. My vote will got for Dark Samus. Sylux is cool, but I'd give to it because it was the antagonist for two titles. And please leave the Federation Force soldiers out of this.
How about no? :troll:

But speaking seriously, there aren't many good popular options for Prime characters when looking at the ones I've picked.

Dark Samus is self explanatory, no one gives a crap about the Prime Hunters other than Sylux (who's been teased multiple times as a incoming villain), and MP3 fans care more for Rundas than the likes of Gandrayda or Ghor.

So I will have a Federation Marine as an option if only because Federation Force is the latest entry in the Prime series (or for the people who might want them as joke choices). It's obvious that either Dark Samus or Sylux would dominate in the end.

D

Deleted member

Oh man, **** GBA Nightmare Modules
Like, I'm doing what I'm supposed to, I change the character's starting items and apply the changes, yet nothing changes.
Ugh, and I remember that I got to make stuff like this with FE6 so why isn't FE8 working?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

But speaking seriously, there aren't many good popular options for Prime characters when looking at the ones I've picked.

Dark Samus is self explanatory, no one gives a crap about the Prime Hunters other than Sylux (who's been teased multiple times as a incoming villain), and MP3 fans care more for Rundas than the likes of Gandrayda or Ghor.

So I will have a Federation Marine as an option if only because Federation Force is the latest entry in the Prime series (or for the people who might want them as joke choices). It's obvious that either Dark Samus or Sylux would dominate in the end.
But I like Trace and Ghor....

Though I can see why you chose the FFM's in the end. I doubt they would have that same Tingle-esque following when it opens.

D

Deleted member

I think a villain that falls flat is one fails to engage on some level. I mentioned before that a good one can make you understand where they're coming or just flat out entertain you. A weak one does neither of these things.

A really good example of a weak one is Garon from the FE Fates games. He's very much your stock "evil emperor" type with shoddy characterization and weak motivation. He also fails to be entertaining in any sort of way. Just a one dimensional character around there.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Garon. And right there is the problem, I don't really feel much about him. Especially after the spoiler that
It's not even him in control making decisions for his own reasons. When if anything Garon would've been a much better villain if he was in full control of his actions and was actually capable of persuading his children that they're on the morally right side.

I mean, in contrast Zephiel is a great villain because of how despicable he is. But the thing is that he's in full control of his actions and in his mind he thinks he's just doing something for the greater good. And for him to be the way he is was also established considering that his parents were total *****. Cliche, sure, but I don't think it's that bad of a cliche considering that psychologically a common major reason people end up so bad is often due to childhood trauma. I don't mind tropes like these too much as they make sense at least. It's the tropes that don't make any sense and that bring negatives that are bad.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
@Shishœ - I've yet to see any one take Ross. I'll buy a place on that roster, as that one guy who contributes to conversations time-to-time and likes everyone's crazy posts that happen when I stay off the boards for three days. :p

And yes, I'm back; took a leave because I had a bad skin infection recently, but it's now on the mend and the antibiotics are doing their job.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The perfect example of a bad villain is unfortunately is Sigma from Megaman X.

He has very little motivation and just wants world domination/control because of a virus.

He feels like he's less in control of himself.

While he is badass, he's so one dimensional it kinda hurts
Sigma's alright, but Vile's more interesting. If only because he's less of a "grand scheme" type of bad guy and is wanted revenge for Mega Man X beating him.

It's mostly in the X1 remake and in X8 that Sigma's given slightly more interesting motivation. In that he wants to either bring out Reploids full power/migrate them all away from Humankind in X8.

I also liked the X-Hunters. A team of villains isn't really common in games like that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sigma's alright, but Vile's more interesting. If only because he's less of a "grand scheme" type of bad guy and is wanted revenge for Mega Man X beating him.

It's mostly in the X1 remake and in X8 that Sigma's given slightly more interesting motivation. In that he wants to either bring out Reploids full power/migrate them all away from Humankind in X8.

I also liked the X-Hunters. A team of villains isn't really common in games like that.
Aren't all humans dead in the X series?

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Oh lord, I was going through Rennac's supports and I found his support with Tethys... that one's going to be awkward as hell in the our version for numerous reasons.

:081:

D

Deleted member

@Shishœ - I've yet to see any one take Ross. I'll buy a place on that roster, as that one guy who contributes to conversations time-to-time and likes everyone's crazy posts that happen when I stay off the boards for three days. :p

And yes, I'm back; took a leave because I had a bad skin infection recently, but it's now on the mend and the antibiotics are doing their job.
I'm surprised you want to be in
Screenshot_2017-02-13-00-32-06-1.png

Didn't expect that at all
Unfortunately, Ross has already been taken.
Amelia, Selena, Hayden, Orson, the minor bosses and two NPCs are the only unnamed ones at the moment.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I thought people liked Weavil. And Spire was my main in Prime Hunters.

Aren't all humans dead in the X series?
No. You just don't really see them. But you do see Dr. Cain in MMX2 and MMX3. But by the Mega Man Legend series, humans and reploids become a single species or something like that.

A lot of the plots for Mega Man X can be summed up as "Sigma wants a race war, we should stop that."

D

Deleted member

View attachment 126033
Amelia, Selena, Hayden, Orson, the minor bosses and two NPCs are the only unnamed ones at the moment.
I remember not too long ago this weekend I came back to the site with SIXTEEN alerts all of the sudden and then I saw it was @redfeatherraven just liking most of my posts. :p Man I wonder how much I jack up other people's alerts.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The story to Mega Man X is different than what I thought it has been for years

For some reason I thought the story was that the virus caused robots to go maverick and they ended up wiping out all of humanity

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I thought people liked Weavil. And Spire was my main in Prime Hunters.
I can say that Weavil, like Sylux, at least had some backstory to him like being a Space Pirate with the latter haboring that huge hate for Samus and the Galactic Federation. Though Sylux is clearly the most popular of them all.

Spire was cool, he does have that magma get-up gong for him. But I was all over Sylux for that sleek blue design and Lockjaw.

I might do an all Metroid Prime Hunters poll if there's enough demand for it. I would like to see if there are some people who doesn't want Sylux in Smash out of all of them.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

For some reason I thought the story was that the virus caused robots to go maverick and they ended up wiping out all of humanity
That seems way too dark for a Mega Man game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IDK, after Mega Man 1 I didn't see any people. I actually didn't play Mega Man X2, and in X1 I think the only person you run into is the holographic ghost of Prof Light. And I know in Adventure all the people you run into are like computer programs or something

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The Zero series gets pretty close to being that edgy. Which, while it's a good series, is one of the reasons I didn't like it as much. It was kind of "try hard".

Meanwhile, at the same time, Battle Network had a pretty lighthearted tone most of the time and felt similar to the original series. Only getting serious when it needed to.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Zero series gets pretty close to being that edgy. Which, while it's a good series, is one of the reasons I didn't like it as much. It was kind of "try hard".
Complete with lots of blood in the Japanese version of the games. :troll:

Or red ignition fluid unless robots didn't magically get hearts.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I've managed to beat Chapter 9-5 Normal on my first try in Fire Emblem Heroes, but it was a pretty close battle.

My team going into it was Minerva, Roy, Young Tiki, and Lissa. All units were around Level 23.

Looks like Xander's comment from Chapter 2 explains why he's here in this map (typical Camus), and now he's back in the final chapter.

Anyways, Roy took care of Xander pretty easily, while Tiki took out the other sword-user on the right. This left Veronica, the other tome user, and the staff user. Roy took out the staff user above Xander, and then he went down to the other tome-user. It took about two turns for Tiki to take out that enemy unit, leaving only Veronica. Veronica took out Minerva as she tried to hide for a bit, leaving only Lissa and Tiki. What followed was Tiki bringing Veronica toward the center right, and a few turns of Lissa healing up Tiki while Tiki tried to lower Veronica's HP. Veronica took out Lissa, but Tiki beat her immediately after.

And then the Mysterious Man shows up after we get some backstory on Veronica and her kingdom

He tells the Order of Heroes to stop looking for Zacharius. I bet he's just saying as a way of saying, "I'm right here guys."

Yeah, at this point, I really think the Mysterious Man is Zacharius.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Minecraft added new blocks!

Concrete!

In 16 colors! Perfect for roads and modern things

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...And glazed Terracotta which...

Is ugly but I suppose could be useful.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

The new Metroid poll is up.

And lol at the many votes the Federation Force soldier is getting. It is a Tingle-like following after all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

The new Metroid poll is up.

And lol at the many votes the Federation Force soldier is getting. It is a Tingle-like following after all.
Given the fact that Sylux is losing to mere GF fodder, something tells me this will end in lots of salt.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Trotting through Urtraghus...giving the Space Pirates a bad day
...and yes that is the actual name of the Pirate Homeworld...

Can't really keep myself away from Corruption, I do have the day off today and there's like 20 feet of snow outside so I can't really be bothered to do anything else...
Did a bunch of backtracking and cleared all pickups in both Skytown and Norion, there's still a few that I was not able to get in Bryyo just yet and I'm currently working on the Pirate Homeworld...Also obtained 8 Power Cells, if I remember correctly there's 9 total so Valhalla will be done all at once, which makes for a better experience there...

Anyways...I managed to obtain the Nova Beam, best part about the Nova Beam is that when paired with the X-ray visor, you can snipe and insta-kill certain enemies...Phazon Metroids were once annoying as ****...not anymore....

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
View attachment 126033
Thought I'd join in the festivities of this game you're devising. Not too bothered about not being Ross though; I guess a supporting role like Hayden wouldn't hurt me at all, since I'm a relatively infrequent poster nowadays, but don't mind joining in when I feel like it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I forgot about Garon. And right there is the problem, I don't really feel much about him. Especially after the spoiler that
It's not even him in control making decisions for his own reasons. When if anything Garon would've been a much better villain if he was in full control of his actions and was actually capable of persuading his children that they're on the morally right side.

I mean, in contrast Zephiel is a great villain because of how despicable he is. But the thing is that he's in full control of his actions and in his mind he thinks he's just doing something for the greater good. And for him to be the way he is was also established considering that his parents were total *****. Cliche, sure, but I don't think it's that bad of a cliche considering that psychologically a common major reason people end up so bad is often due to childhood trauma. I don't mind tropes like these too much as they make sense at least. It's the tropes that don't make any sense and that bring negatives that are bad.
A mind controlled character can still be a good villain, even if they themselves aren't the main villain. While it's easy to see how mind control can be seen as a cop-out, bad mind control is the stuff that literally comes out of nowhere with no hinting and no backlore. Literally out of nowhere.
Fates has this problem due to focusing on the characters a bit too much and not enough backlore or backstory. We hear of Anankos early on in Conquest, but rather than give cryptic hints at Anankos' and Garon's true nature, they just went straight to the point in order to give the player a not-so-well done motive to go after Hoshido rather than have Garon manipulate Corrin using the fact that Nohr is slowly dying and losing resources and why Hoshido needs to be conquered to help Nohr from dying.
Anyway, it's not impossible to have well-done mind control. Good mind control shows when there is a mixed balance between hinting at mind control and hinting at being the real deal and the backlore showing a good deal on both the real deal and the mind controller.
To me, the best kind of mind control comes from the controller controlling the real deal very closely to what the real deal would do if he wasn't controlled and the real deal is actually willing to do some dark or major things even if he wasn't controlled that there would only one minor thing or key detail that would show what the real deal would not do that the controller is doing or does at some point. You see the hints at being mind controlled, but the backlore and character of the real deal are able to make you think that it's possible the real deal might not be. Bonus points if part of the reasoning for the controller being able to control the real deal is because of similarities between them or some possible empathy or sympathy from the controller.
That's just my thoughts on the whole trope. But much like any trope, there are both bads and goods for each one and even if one trope is not handled that well and most showings of that trope tend to be bad, that there are always exceptions.

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

It used to be that, but it kinda turned away from the original plot around Mega Man X4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom