• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I waited that I had something to show before saying it. Now that I have something, I can say now that I have recently started pixel art. Right now, it isn't amazing but I'm slowy getting in here. And for that, I wanted to show off some emotes that I made. So here they are.

Red Hunter Emote.png
Red Hunter laugh.png
Red Hunter Laughing Gif.gif

I am currently using Pixelart due to how good the interface is. The only problem that I have is that gif can't be transparent. If anyone know something to make gif transparent, it would help alot.

Beside that, I hope you like them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just looked outside and it's friggin' snowing

It almost never snows here

D

Deleted member

So since the Wii Shop Channel is ending I bought several new games from it, including Secret of Mana, a game whose reputation is well established.

I just finished it today.
And oh boy, oooooh boy boy boy boy boy... It's probably not a game I'll play a second time.

I'm even tempted to say it's my 3rd biggest disappointment in gaming, after Pokémon Diamond/Pearl and Skyward Sword.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So since the Wii Shop Channel is ending I bought several new games from it, including Secret of Mana, a game whose reputation is well established.

And oh boy, oooooh boy boy boy boy boy... It's probably not a game I'll play a second time.

I'm even tempted to say it's my 3rd biggest disappointment in gaming, after Pokémon Diamond/Pearl and Skyward Sword.
Secret of Mana is on the SNES Classic

I tried playing it and didn't like it much

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Honestly keeping a list of gaming disappointments seems pretty unhealthy, but I guess Metroid was a pretty massive disappointment so eh.

D

Deleted member

My biggest gaming disappointment was probably Earthbound.
I expected the ending to bring me to the verge of tears, but it wasn't even close to that (Might be because I listened to Smiles & Tears many times before I actually beat the game), the characters were not too memorable to me (Aside from Porky, but that's not in a good way, Mr. Saturn, and Dr. Andonuts), and the combat system was just standart.
I don't hate the game, I just found it disappointing because of its reputation.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Why do you say that? I've been playing through it co-op, and despite some questionable hit detection during boss fights, I'm not seeing any huge problems with it.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I expected the ending to bring me to the verge of tears, but it wasn't even close to that (Might be because I listened to Smiles & Tears many times before I actually beat the game), the characters were not too memorable to me (Aside from Porky, but that's not in a good way, Mr. Saturn, and Dr. Andonuts), and the combat system was just standart.
I think the main reason why it's so loved is due to the charm of it all (and nostalgia, partially). Unlike many RPGs, it's not set in an average medieval setting, but rather in the present. The dialogue among certain characters is memorable for a lot of people, and many players are immersed in the world and story. It's that kind of stuff that makes games more charming in general.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Honestly keeping a list of gaming disappointments seems pretty unhealthy, but I guess Metroid was a pretty massive disappointment so eh.
Red Hunter thinking.png

Your opinion is your opinion, but I'm really curious as to what Metroid game you are talking about.

D

Deleted member

I think the main reason why it's so loved is due to the charm of it all (and nostalgia, partially). Unlike many RPGs, it's not set in an average medieval setting, but rather in the present. The dialogue among certain characters is memorable for a lot of people, and many players are immersed in the world and story. It's that kind of stuff that makes games more charming in general.
Fair enough, I do see the appeal of that.
I think the settings are great, it's just that the story progression was rather slow (When there was any), and many characters were lacking in the personality department.
Still, the mental image of hitting a Hippie with a baseball bat is great.

D

Deleted member

Earthbound is one of those games you need to experience blindly, otherwise you'll never understand the hype.
Tbh, I didn't like it, combat is just bad and boring, but I can see the impact the story would have on someone who would play unspoiled.

Same thing applies to Undertale because of course, they even have shared characters

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My biggest gaming disappointment was the Wii U.

There we go, I made a normie joke, do I get my pay check now?

That is a lie though. The Switch has been the bigger disappointment for me personally.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I enjoyed Earthbound myself, but I don't have enough time to play RPGs anymore, unfortunately. Too time-consuming for me. I'm now devoted to platformers and Smash Bros. tbh. I'll play other games sometimes (like Overwatch) but RPGs take up too much time for me at this point in my life.

D

Deleted member

Why do you say that? I've been playing through it co-op, and despite some questionable hit detection during boss fights, I'm not seeing any huge problems with it.
- Very cliché'd story and characters
- Clunky gameplay
- Bad difficulty curve
- Enemy rehash extravaganza
- Also bad french translation
- EDIT: And most of all, those lame and never-ending dungeons

One thing I can't say anything bad about it though is the OST.

Other than that, I know I shouldn't be too harsh for an early 90's game, but it's not a game which aged well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
View attachment 133679
Your opinion is your opinion, but I'm really curious as to what Metroid game you are talking about.
The original.

People seem to dash back and say it's not the best after it gets that pointed out, but honestly I found the gameplay loop as a whole kind of lost my interest before I could beat it so I kind of get lost as to the sheer hype behind it. . .and some other kinds of attitudes from people at times.

Earthbound is weird. I made it about two thirds of the way through before I hit my usual RPG dropoff issues that will necessitate another playthrough, and by that point I'd managed to fall in love with the world it was set in but the characters had all the personality of dried cardboard (except Mr. Saturn, which the odd writing style forces you to focus on and adds extra punch to). I don't pay too much attention to combat as a whole, but the game certainly wasn't doing any favors to my lack of respect for desert levels.

It's just such a quirky relatable setting but that's not what the fandom focuses on at ALL.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well, I can think of a few things on why it's loved.
-Part of it revolves around the fact that it's a RPG game that takes place in everyday life rather than a medieval, fantasy or sci-fi setting. That was pretty unique back then when the majority of RPGs were fantasy games.

-The game had some key differences when it came to the gameplay. For one, you could actually save your characters from dying if you healed them in time while their HP was dropping. Already that's much different from, "Get hit above your HP, die instantly." Also, most other RPGs had one very big shared inventory while Earthbound has every character with a limited inventory that couldn't be shared with each other. So if you placed all your health items on one character and that character died, of course you are in trouble.

-Then there's charm. Alongside dialogue, imagination allows you to experience hitting hippies and destroying possessed cars with Bats, Yo-yos and Bottle Rockets. Not to mention some of the weird things that would never happen in real-life, like a police chief setting cops on you before you can go into the next town. One of my favourites is when you get to the cop that calls you "fat boy" and you get a instant critical hit on him with your first attack.(or at least, all the times I've played, I always got a crit on him.)

-The Final Boss also gets notoriety, especially for those who witness him first time without the Internet. You have the very disturbing imagery with him(The Baby!), you have the disturbing dialogue that is referencing a **** scene, you are unable to kill him normally unless you battle him for a VERY LONG TIME and so your only hope of defeating him is
resorting to Paula praying for someone to help them win and you witness all the characters you've met on your adventure hearing her prayer and they start praying too and than in one of the biggest 4th wall breaks, if you actually gave your real name to Jeff's friend Tony when he asks you to, you are the one who ends up defeating Giygas.

All in all, Earthbound is one of those games that will have conflicting opinions. But when you take a look at all the things the game offers and the time the game first came out, it's understandable to see why people like it and have fond memories of it. It's one of those games where it should be played blind and unknowing to get a better experience.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The original.

People seem to dash back and say it's not the best after it gets that pointed out, but honestly I found the gameplay loop as a whole kind of lost my interest before I could beat it so I kind of get lost as to the sheer hype behind it. . .and some other kinds of attitudes from people at times.

Earthbound is weird. I made it about two thirds of the way through before I hit my usual RPG dropoff issues that will necessitate another playthrough, and by that point I'd managed to fall in love with the world it was set in but the characters had all the personality of dried cardboard. I don't pay too much attention to combat as a whole, but the game certainly wasn't doing any favors to my lack of respect for desert levels.

It's just such a quirky relatable setting but that's not what the fandom focuses on at ALL.
The original Metroid on the NES?

I don't think alot of peoples overhype it, in contrary, while fan respect it for launching the franchise. Everyone agree that the game itself have aged very badly. So I don't know where you heard people praising it that much.

Except if you are talking about Super Metroid on the SNES. If it's that one, then I can understand that you may not like it. After all, SM physic and level design isn't very beginner friendly.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The original Metroid on the NES?

I don't think alot of peoples overhype it, in contrary, while fan respect it for launching the franchise. Everyone agree that the game itself have aged very badly. So I don't know where you heard people praising it that much.

Except if you are talking about Super Metroid on the SNES. If it's that one, then I can understand that you may not like it. After all, SM physic and level design isn't very beginner friendly.
It's just the whole praising the ground the franchise walks on scenario. The game doesn't really get much individual praise, but the franchise as a whole is such a sacred cow that you'd assume everything the name touched was blessed by some great buff Samus in the stars.

Although I tried the Super Metroid Masterpiece in Smash 4 off of all three saves and I didn't really get the impression I'd like it that much more long term either. I don't really care about games aging that much, Sonic Adventure is one of my personal favorites even if it's got rough patches, but the gameplay of wandering around with the sole goal of trying to find equipment to get open more doors while having to constantly stop to deal with enemies that you struggle to even aim at just kind of wears me out without feeling fun.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I’m reading the list of pokemon I made from last year and I’ve deleted a bunch cause I can’t even remember what they are. lol

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I’m reading the list of pokemon I made from last year and I’ve deleted a bunch cause I can’t even remember what they are. lol
Still using my Opossoul for it or nah?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
It's just the whole praising the ground the franchise walks on scenario. The game doesn't really get much individual praise, but the franchise as a whole is such a sacred cow that you'd assume everything the name touched was blessed by some great buff Samus in the stars.

Although I tried the Super Metroid Masterpiece in Smash 4 off of all three saves and I didn't really get the impression I'd like it that much more long term either. I don't really care about games aging that much, Sonic Adventure is one of my personal favorites even if it's got rough patches, but the gameplay of wandering around with the sole goal of trying to find equipment to get open more doors while having to constantly stop to deal with enemies that you struggle to even aim at just kind of wears me out without feeling fun.
Ah, so it's the whole franchise, huh?

Honestly, fan that overhype what they love do more damages than good. I know that because I do the same for Super Paper Mario.

Really, if you don't like Metroid because it's just not the kind of games you like. I am totally OK with that, we all like different games, different genres, etc... And sometime, there is that one franchise who is loved by many that we just can't get in. It's not wrong, you are not a hater or some stupid thing like that. It's just not a game for you, and aslong as you don't come to a Metroid thread and say,"you know what, Metroid was never good to begin with *wink**wink like Sonic*wink**wink*" I won't call you on that, feel free to play what you want my friend.

D

Deleted member

Ivander Ivander
I never said the game was terrible and that I don't get why people like it, I was just disappointed with it personally.
Though with all that talk about how playing a game while knowing spoilers ruins the expirience, I'm somewhat worried about how my opinion on Mother 3 will be...

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, my biggest gaming disappointment is actually Half Life.

Which I'm playing right now...

RIP me.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

RIP me.
In my opinion, the games themselves are amazing. Half Life 2 is one of my most favorite games of all time to even this day. The real disappointment to me is the fact the series STILL doesn't have a capper, and may never have one.

Officially anyways.

RIP me.
Half life is one of those games that was relly impressive for its time, but pretty much everyone has outdone it by now. . .or at least that is what people tell me because I havent played it RIP/

Biggest gaming disapointment was Shovel Knight. Thougth it was average. THen I replayed it and thought it was great.

So now it's probably either XCX or Shantae, Risky's Revenge. XCX was a sequel to my second favorite game ever that I only thought was above average but I really want to replay it, and Shantae was hyped to hell and back by smashers and I honestly hated everything about it.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Ah, so it's the whole franchise, huh?

Honestly, fan that overhype what they love do more damages than good. I know that because I do the same for Super Paper Mario.

Really, if you don't like Metroid because it's just not the kind of games you like. I am totally OK with that, we all like different games, different genres, etc... And sometime, there is that one franchise who is loved by many that we just can't get in. It's not wrong, you are not a hater or some stupid thing like that. It's just not a game for you, and aslong as you don't come to a Metroid thread and say,"you know what, Metroid was never good to begin with *wink**wink like Sonic*wink**wink*" I won't call you on that, feel free to play what you want my friend.
Yeah, I can tell Metroid is perfectly well put together, I just have a complete disconnect combined with some severe hype exhaustion.

That and just some really bad imagery association where a not unnoticeable chunk of the time where someone charges into a room to dump on something they start chattering about how much they love Metroid within minutes, if they don't just outright use the diss as a springboard to start marketing Metroid to the crowd directly. It gives me really bad flashbacks to watching genwunners when I followed the Sonic fandom and read Pokemon conversations on GameFAQs, except instead of a certain subset of a fandom trying to eat the rest of it alive it's a certain subset crawling out from under a rock to harass everyone else. It goes beyond overhyping for some people into just outright triggering memories I really don't want to think about and putting a bad taste in my mouth.

A pack of happy Metroid fans is great, though. I just have a knack for finding the butt end of fandoms even when I'm nowhere near their core crowd. Thread invasion is dumb as hell and I'd be a hypocrite to ever even think about it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Yeah, I can tell Metroid is perfectly well put together, I just have a complete disconnect combined with some severe hype exhaustion.

That and just some really bad imagery association where a not unnoticeable chunk of the time where someone charges into a room to dump on something they start chattering about how much they love Metroid within minutes, if they don't just outright use the diss as a springboard to start marketing Metroid to the crowd directly. It gives me really bad flashbacks to watching genwunners when I followed the Sonic fandom and read Pokemon conversations on GameFAQs, except instead of a certain subset of a fandom trying to eat the rest of it alive it's a certain subset crawling out from under a rock to harass everyone else. It goes beyond overhyping for some people into just outright triggering memories I really don't want to think about and putting a bad taste in my mouth.

A pack of happy Metroid fans is great, though. I just have a knack for finding the butt end of fandoms even when I'm nowhere near their core crowd. Thread invasion is dumb as hell and I'd be a hypocrite to ever even think about it.
In other word:

Fanbase ruin everything, especially those days. The games are good, but some peoples just ruin everyone fun.

Me, I'm just sad because I don't have a freakin' Switch, nor freakin' Mario Odyssey.

That my friend, is a real tragedy.:028:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Uh-oh, spaghetti-o's.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/5/16609838/sonic-forces-review

They gave it a 5/10. Didn't seem like a very well written or informative review though.

Also something something it's Polygon.
Yeaaaah I'm not clicking that.

*checks ResetERA review thread against better judgement*

Yeah we're already dipping into emotionally charged crapping and complete oblivion of mechanics that have been in the games for ages just from the excerpts people are dredging up, that's a pretty good cocktail for me rapidly losing respect for someone's input.

I don't care about the outlet per se, I just think less of any review that revels in acting like a bratty child because it's "cool."

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeaaaah I'm not clicking that.

*checks ResetERA review thread against better judgement*

Yeah we're already dipping into emotionally charged crapping and complete oblivion of mechanics that have been in the games for ages just from the excerpts people are dredging up, that's a pretty good cocktail for me rapidly losing respect for someone's input.

I don't care about the outlet per se, I just think less of any review that revels in acting like a bratty child because it's "cool."
I wouldn't describe their review as being disrespectfully worded, per se.

I just didn't think it was informative or accurate.

Like, they mentioned that "there is exploration and secrets, but you constantly have a timer ticking against you, which is annoying and frustrating because your time effects your rank".

But like...I'm pretty sure the timer counts up? There is no actual time limit for the stages. So there is no issue here. Just find the secrets on one run, and then go for a good time on another run. Replay value. People don't bring this up in games with ACTUAL time limits as well as secrets and collectibles, like many Super Mario games, so why would this be an issue here?

Also they get so hung up on how the game opens with Sonic getting defeated and captured, and make it sounds as if it's a bloody, M-rated affair that feels out of place, but I'm pretty sure he just gets bopped around a bit by Infinite and back splats against some walls DBZ-style and that's it.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I just looked outside and it's friggin' snowing

It almost never snows here
Right now live I am in the first floor of my dorm for Tornado warning... Glad I brought my Switch, I hope my other stuff can survive if the tornado does come.
A good bit more.

Doesn't really matter considering how many Moons there are.
With how many things to do in the game I think I will be dropping off Odyssey for now until I have the time to play it.
My biggest gaming disappointment was the Wii U.

There we go, I made a normie joke, do I get my pay check now?

That is a lie though. The Switch has been the bigger disappointment for me personally.
Ain't it not?
Don't get me started on that Animal Crossing board game on the Wii U...and also Starfox Zero was also a disappointment.

With that being said, are you talking about Switch not having you games want? Or just the console in general?I am really curious to know why Nintendo Switch is a bigger disappointment for you.
For personally with a awesome games like Odyssey and my holy grail Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I am satisfied with my purchase. Now I need a new Starfox and Animal Crossing for Switch then it will be perfect.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Biggest gaming disappointment? Oof. That's a tough call for me. I can't think of many games I've bought or got as a gift that I was seriously disappointed with.

RIP me.
The original game is rather outdated, admittedly, but it was pretty remarkable for it's time, and it left a big influence on gaming after it's initial release.

I do think Half-Life 2 and it's episodes hold up pretty well though, if you've yet to play those.

I'm curious.

How come?
Graphics were good I suppose.

But I was not a fan of the writing at the all. And the gameplay wasn't fun either. I was using a keyboard so maybe the controls would have been slightly better but I doubt it would have been by much. Combat and pltforming were both unintersting and basic. And then there was random backtracking that served no purpose but to make the game longer because you never did anything interesting with said backtracking.

I've been told Risky's Revenge is significantly better, but I just don't care enough.

Oh, and Fates was the real right answer for most disapointning, but im sitting here playing it and enjoying myself so. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom