• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
And that's Metroid Samus Returns 100% done!

Samus Returns is a game that's aptly named, it definitely feels like a return to form after the misstep that happened before. The return to 2D gameplay has been one I've been missing since ZM and I'm glad they brought it back, and with the updates that MS added it's definitely shown some growth. The Melee Counter ends up being a good addition, it starts off a bit overpowered since your other tools aren't great and the enemies are aggressive, but as your arsenal fills out with things like the Wave Beam, Ice Beam and Super Missiles it becomes more of a usual tool rather then a clutch and works its way into that arsenal rather well. It's a tool that I was worried about but ended up liking as things went on and I hope they bring it back with maybe a few tweaks here and there. The 360 aim is also really appreciated since you don't have to move to get that sweet spot that you need on an enemy and it becomes natural after a time. The Aeon abilities are pretty decent as well, I didn't use Scan Pulse much since I like finding my own items, but the other three had some neat uses and applications across the game.

In terms of the Metroids, I think they're a step up from the original. Alphas and Gammas can be a bit too numerous and it does make the midsection a bit of slog, but the updates they do make to them makes their battles feel less repetitive. It's especially the case with the Gammas as they use their environments and different techniques to try and make them feel more varied, so it didn't grate on me nearly as much as their original counterpart. The Zetas and Omegas however? They were massively updated and it shows, they're a lot of fun to fight now as the Zetas make use of their inspiration and crawl around making use of the different surfaces to attack you and the Omegas make use of their T-Rex inspiration and are just brutes in how much power they have. Honestly, by the time I had killed the last one I was missing both of them and wished I could've fought them more since they ended up being one of my favorite battles in the game. The Queen I also have to praise as it went from "just use Screw Attack and then missile/bomb the hell out of her mouth" to "you have to use your entire arsenal to take down this behemoth" and it felt so good to fight as a result. It's rare when a boss forces you to make use of every tool and does it well, and the Queen is a great example of that, she's probably one of my favorite final boss fights in the series (well, fake-out final boss). As for the others bosses, Arachnus is good and Diggernaut has a great first two phases (ignoring the finicky hitboxes of its arms) and the third phase is fine once you know what to do, it's just that you don't get many hints for what to do in that phase and that kind of makes it more difficult then it should've been. Ridley is Ridley and is always a blast to fight, though it's kind of funny how he manages to steal away the final boss title from the Queen just like she did from him back in Other M.

In terms of story, there's not much to say as it just gives you your mission and plops you there, though I will say I like the improvements they do have. The Hatchling feels more memorable in this game as the cutscene with its initial appearance is done well and due to the fact that it assists you with Ridley and getting 100%, it's easy to get attached to the cute little guy as he's very helpful in your adventure. It shows you Samus' bond with it and it feels genuine overall, it's a good way to advance their relationship and it's done without a word of dialogue, which is pretty impressive. With Fusion being my first, I was also happy to see the call-forwards to the game through the X-Parasites as the stinger at the end shows the damage that wiping out the Metroids caused and it allows for both games to feel better connected considering before they kind of came out of nowhere. Finally, the Chozo Memories are a nice addition to the game as Metroid has always been good about showing us the lore of the past and seeing it through these screens helped develop the SR388 Chozo in a way that we haven't seen too much of. Also

I love the stinger at the end of them since it hints at a very interesting potential plotline for the next game. The manga has already implied that the Chozo used to be a warlike race that had to abandon it, but this new scene shows that there may be a rogue faction that never gave it up. That has so much potential to be an interesting storyline since it could allow for some present interaction between Samus and the Chozo and expand on what the warlike Chozo used to be like, and I hope they go with it.

All in all, it was a great game. There are still issues, some that were carried over from the original (the repetition with the Alpha's and Gamma's) and some that are original (The Diggernaut not telegraphing things well), but it's still a great adventure and one I barely could stop myself from putting it down. I'd definitely recommend it to any Metroid fans who are curious about it and I hope you all have fun with Samus on her return to SR388.

D

Deleted member

Weird... I bought a $10 eShop card but it wouldn't allow me to redeem it on my 3DS but it would on my Switch.
Is your 3DS from or set to a different country than your Switch/EShop card? Are you sure you typed the code right in both EShops? And is it some new type of prepaid EShop card?(I don't even know if the old ones work with the Switch)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Is your 3DS from or set to a different country than your Switch/EShop card? Are you sure you typed the code right in both EShops? And is it some new type of prepaid EShop card?(I don't even know if the old ones work with the Switch)

3DS and Switch are in the same region and both share the same eShop account (and Wii U). Basically said "can't use it here" And it was the new cards.

But I got the money deposited and was able to use it on my 3DS and that's all I care.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

This was posted on Konami's Facebook and had text saying "...!"

Betting fiddy bux that it's more Super Bomberman R content.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mfw when the course I want to do only has 21 vacancies and only 10 of those are for students from non-public schools
I don't even need that high of a score going by past years' results but it still puts me in a really tight spot between college life and another year of cram school
3DS and Switch are in the same region and both share the same eShop account (and Wii U). Basically said "can't use it here" And it was the new cards.

But I got the money deposited and was able to use it on my 3DS and that's all I care.
Well, that's still really weird
Wonder what's up

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Opossum Opossum I talked to my wife about the wiki. She admitted she was editing the wiki with the intention of honesty according to what she knows from lurking the site, and she said she'll be more careful about her edits.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why not have your wife Join, Jason?

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Female Robin? Not just "Robin"?
Yep, it's specifically Female Robin. You can see the Japanese character for "woman" after Robin's name in the poll option.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Ash's Pikachu with the 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt Z-Crystal code for Pokémon Sun & Moon is now live: PIKACHU20

REMINDER Before you enter the code, remember that you can only get ONE Cap Pikachu with the code so choose wisely.

Here are the times you pick for a specific cap:

· September 19–25: Original Cap
· September 26 – October 2: Hoenn Cap
· October 3–9: Sinnoh Cap
· October 10–16: Unova Cap
· October 17–23: Kalos Cap
· October 24–30: Alola Cap

I'm going with Sinnoh Cap.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ash's Pikachu with the 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt Z-Crystal code for Pokémon Sun & Moon is now live: PIKACHU20

REMINDER Before you enter the code, remember that you can only get ONE Cap Pikachu with the code so choose wisely.

Here are the times you pick for a specific cap:

· September 19–25: Original Cap
· September 26 – October 2: Hoenn Cap
· October 3–9: Sinnoh Cap
· October 10–16: Unova Cap
· October 17–23: Kalos Cap
· October 24–30: Alola Cap

I'm going with Sinnoh Cap.
Which ones are the ones that get Iron Tail again? As far as I know these are the only ones that are able to get it in Gen VII, so I want to get one that has it.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Maybe own up to doing it yourself?
And I'd like to point out something, and not as a personal attack or anything like that but something I feel should be said.

If he has a wife (that's a fair suspension) and if he is blaming her for what he did (not saying he did), then that's about as scummy as you can get.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And I'd like to point out something, and not as a personal attack or anything like that but something I feel should be said.

If he has a wife (that's a fair suspension) and if he is blaming her for what he did (not saying he did), then that's about as scummy as you can get.
I mean, I'm just saying, I find it suspicious that his wife is supposedly making edits to his wiki page at the same time that he's online on Smashboards, and seemingly only when he's on Smashboards. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Darnit, I'm still not on the wiki? Well, eh.

Also, pretty cool to see a Halo Pack on Minecraft Switch Edition. Normally this wouldn't even be more than neat, but they had previously cancelled a Halo DS game idea, meaning that this actually has a bit more impact in itself. Not that it means anything in reality, but it can certainly get people talking.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Samus VS Mega Man VS Doomguy VS Master Chief

Make it happen, boys.

If DG and Chief got into Smash, I would actually squee.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm definitely going for Univa Cap Pikachu.
Yeah, Best Wishes sucked but I can just pretend that's Hilbert's cap and honestly, Hilbert has the best design out of all protags imo.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
End of an era.
It's unfortunate, but expected in the modern era. Technology is really accessable now, it's taking over a lot of the toys kids would normally play with. Even a few short generations ago, things like Gameboy were around, but didn't stop kids from using other things.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
On Sep. 19, 1985 an earthquake destroyed México's capital, today it happened the exact same thing.

I wasn't born yet when the first one happened nor experimented a major quake, but I have an awful feeling, man.

D

Deleted member

On Sep. 19, 1985 an earthquake destroyed México's capital, today it happened the exact same thing.

I wasn't born yet when the first one happened nor experimented a major quake, but I have an awful feeling, man.
Oh man, that sucks, especially to have such a huge coincidence like this.
Hope you're okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom