• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Today on 'What is neogaf upset about?' iiiiiiiit's Metroid! Sakamoto said he'd love to work on more 2D Metroid games should there be enough demand for them. Neogaf is now trying to boycott the game because "THEY'RE HOLDING METROID HOSTAGE ON THE 3DS AND ARE TELLING US IF WE DON'T BUY IT WE'LL NEVER GET IT AGAIN!"
To be fair, most of 'em probably read all the clickbait headlines going around. Even I had only heard lines like "Samus Returns' success will determine Metroid's future" until, well, you explained it just now.

Have I mentioned I hate deceptive clickbait like that? Especially since "hey guys, they're considering making more 2D Metroid games if Samus Returns does well" is pretty damn compelling news without any alarmist spin!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Today on 'What is neogaf upset about?' iiiiiiiit's Metroid! Sakamoto said he'd love to work on more 2D Metroid games should there be enough demand for them. Neogaf is now trying to boycott the game because "THEY'RE HOLDING METROID HOSTAGE ON THE 3DS AND ARE TELLING US IF WE DON'T BUY IT WE'LL NEVER GET IT AGAIN!"

How do they even get from point A to point B?

Like... There's a difference in not seeing demand and holding a series hostage...

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Here lies Yantra; who drew a ****ton of breasts on his notebook but still struggles. This is hard.
The positive side is that nothing looks like a Senran Kagura falling blimp.

Time to practice eyes and hands again.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

How do they even get from point A to point B?

Like... There's a difference in not seeing demand and holding a series hostage...
The Title of the thread spun it in a much worse light then it actually was. The title reads: Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns, which carries a much more forceful tone to it then the original quote, and more then likely a lot of people just saw the title and lashed out as a result.

With that said however, the original quote was also in the first post, so it still doesn't reflect well on them to have gotten on their hate wagons when what was originally said is right in front of them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Title of the thread spun it in a much worse light then it actually was. The title reads: Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns, which carries a much more forceful tone to it then the original quote, and more then likely a lot of people just saw the title and lashed out as a result.

With that said however, the original quote was also in the first post, so it still doesn't reflect well on them to have gotten on their hate wagons when what was originally said is right in front of them.
I'm just confused as to why people are upset about being transparent about simple economics.

I mean, he's saying if you want more 2D Metroid, buy more 2D Metroid....

It should not be inflammatory in the slightest.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just beated Marble Zone.

While Sonic physic doesn't go well when it come to precise platforming. I admit, this level wasn't as bad as I thought it will be, thanks to the various shortcut here and there.

D

Deleted member

@mario123007
On RE:Creators
Welp, sidn't expect Magane to be that nice, giving back Hangakure and removing the lock for Sota's character to become real. I'm just kinda disappointed we ended up never seeing Magane fighting with Hangakure though.

Blitz clearly doesn't like betraying Altair but he'll do anything for his daughter.

And lol at Sho and Yuuya talking and Yuuya spoiling their manga to the whole audience
Screenshot_2017-08-20-16-55-34.png

Like, poor guy, how can he write the manga now if everyone knows the damn plot twist?

And finally, the Altair fight continues, with(almost) everyone turning against her; everything seems hopeless for her and Celesia, Rui and Alice prepare one final move
Screenshot_2017-08-20-16-57-55.png

No kidding, this gave me chills.
But then came Charon cockblock us
Screenshot_2017-08-20-16-58-30.png

So I guess this why he was nowhere to be seen before, he was Altair's trumpcard
Why he's fighting against Celesia, we'll have to wait and see

And I wonder if we'll see Sota's character next week

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I was looking through pending updates for some of my games when i remembered that XB1 is overhauling their avatars.

Once the avatar overhaul for XB1 comes out this fall, I really hope some good avatar games are released as well. I don't know if there's any good ones currently, but considering how good these new avatars are, I actually want to play with them.

I'm like a little girl with her little Pixar dolls. :173:

D

Deleted member

Sonic Mania for sure will be one of the first games I'll get once I'll have the Switch.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Is that a satisfactory explanation for why it feels awkward that it feels like I'm being judged for wanting the Switch version?
Nobody is judging you for wanting the Switch version, I just don't get why you suddenly felt the need to act condescending and passive aggressive towards people who want other versions of the game. That's the only reason I went into any of this.

Well, considering the fact that they announced the game for the "NX" well before the Switch was even available for purchase throws a bit of a wrench in that argument.
Fair point, but the bit about Sonic games selling best on Nintendo due to the demographic that buys Nintendo systems still stands. Colours sold more than Generations despite only being on Nintendo platforms, and all of the Wii Sonic games achieved satisfactory sales.

Well, there's really no way to tell how game will finalize considering our very brief glimpses. Mind you it could very well cap out at 30 but that's just making an assumption. It isn't unrealistic though. The port to the Switch will obviously be a rougher transition than to Xbox or Playstation. It's just a matter of working out the kinks up to release. Comparative to the Xbox One and PS4, Switch has vastly different architecture it doesn't mean that it's entirely incapable of running a single one of those games smoothly.
There's absolutely a way to tell - based off what we've seen so far. What we've seen so far indicates that the Switch version had to make compromises. Which should surprise nobody. Again, like I said, if you decided to go Switch-only this gen, you should have accepted this fact before you bought the thing.

Also, the Switch's architecture isn't that vastly different from the other systems. That's why it's getting more third party support, because it's easier to port to than the Wii U. However, it does have significantly less power than the other systems, which is why we see games like Sonic Forces having to make compromises on the system.

Again, your making assumptions off of what we have readily available and, again, you could very well be correct but you're looking at this like it's impossible for anyone to possibly like the Switch version over the almighty PS4 version.
Making an assumption based on the information we have available is a lot more rational than assuming it will run at 60 FPS and graphics on par with the other versions with literally nothing to support your claim.

And no, I do not view it as impossible for someone to prefer the Switch version. I flat out listed reasons why one might prefer it, if you were paying attention to my posts. However, that does not make it rational to get passive aggressive towards people who are opting for other versions, and to assume they must be concerned solely with graphics. Forces has a gimped frame rate with drops on Switch so far. We know this for a fact, and that effects gameplay quite seriously in Sonic games, as we saw with Unleashed and Generations.

It's alright to get the Switch version for it's portability or if you have no other options, but please stop getting irrationally defensive over it and making these blind assumptions that this is going to be some 60 FPS, uncompromised beast of a portable game on the Switch. Also stop assuming people are "judging you" for simply outlining the objective caveats of your version of choice when nobody here is doing that.

Also FYI I never even said the PS4 Pro version will be the best version either. The Xbox One X version will be better than even that, and the game is coming out on PC too, so assuming the PC port is done well, it should be the best version, especially once the modding community from Generations PC cracks it open.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Sometimes all it takes are the wrong words in the wrong context to create a huge mess.

By the way, liking your new avatar. You wouldn't happen to frequent the speculation threads, would you?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Breh wait till Labyrinth Zone. I want to drink those tears of despair
Honestly, I'm not that worried about it. Don't get me wrong, I know it's going to suck. But I am already mentally prepared for it.

Plus, how can I have tears in water?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
How can our dreams be real if our memes aren't?

I'll stop
Yeah, the memes are going too strong at this point.

But you know what they say, the more the merrier!:denzel: (I stop, I stop...)

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Nobody is judging you for wanting the Switch version, I just don't get why you suddenly felt the need to act condescending and passive aggressive towards people who want other versions of the game. That's the only reason I went into any of this.
When have I-

. . .

I'm too scrambled to figure out where the disconnect is, so I'll just try to sort out what I meant.

I'm not against people having the PS4 version. I don't even care about the console/handheld distinction that much, I can concede it's going to be a better version. All I think is that people should buy the version that best suits their personal needs.

The thing is, probably due to an accident, you tend to give the impression that you just outright think no one should buy the Switch version regardless of their personal situation because the PS4 version will be so vastly superior. I made an exaggerated comment about the PS4 being a space heater (admittedly based off of my PS3 turning a small room into a sauna, something the Switch has yet to pull off) as an extension of the fact that for my personal experiences it's not a good fit, and you went to correct it without acknowledging the intended point. At a certain point it felt like you're trying to sell me a PS4.

And I mean, you want to have an objective standpoint. That's understandable. But I know you know there's times when the particular way you put something ends up tripping over the message, and considering you managed to launch into a debate and I wasn't the only one who felt guilted I'm pretty sure it's not just me that got a borked impression. It's not that you're wrong, I can comprehend the Switch version having major downgrades even if I'm willing to accept it anyway, it's that the tone whiffed.

Here, have a peace offering cupcake.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
When have I-

. . .

I'm too scrambled to figure out where the disconnect is, so I'll just try to sort out what I meant.

I'm not against people having the PS4 version. I don't even care about the console/handheld distinction that much, I can concede it's going to be a better version. All I think is that people should buy the version that best suits their personal needs.

The thing is, probably due to an accident, you tend to give the impression that you just outright think no one should buy the Switch version regardless of their personal situation because the PS4 version will be so vastly superior. I made an exaggerated comment about the PS4 being a space heater (admittedly based off of my PS3 turning a small room into a sauna, something the Switch has yet to pull off) as an extension of the fact that for my personal experiences it's not a good fit, and you went to correct it without acknowledging the intended point. At a certain point it felt like you're trying to sell me a PS4.

And I mean, you want to have an objective standpoint. That's understandable. But I know you know there's times when the particular way you put something ends up tripping over the message, and considering you managed to launch into a debate and I wasn't the only one who felt guilted I'm pretty sure it's not just me that got a borked impression. It's not that you're wrong, I can comprehend the Switch version having major downgrades even if I'm willing to accept it anyway, it's that the tone whiffed.

Here, have a peace offering cupcake.
You say you think people should just buy what suits their personal needs, but that's not what this line (the very one that made me respond in the first place) seemed to convey:

If I'm getting any version of Forces it's the Switch version because I can't be bothered to buy a PS4 for "muh graphics"
It's fine if you don't want a PS4, but you don't really need to follow up with a snide remark that implies the people opting for the PS4 version are lesser, unintelligent people who only care about "muh graphics" (which is exactly what "muh *insert thing here*" is supposed to mean - if you didn't realise that, then you shouldn't use it). It also implies that, even outside of Forces, people only buy PS4s for "muh graphics", which is also definitely not the case. Even without the Switch's port problem, it misses out on tons of amazing games that other systems get, some of which don't even put much of an emphasis on amazing graphics.

Like I already pointed out, frame rate effects gameplay. Unleashed HD and Generations on home consoles had issues regarding their frame rates dropping and also having dropped inputs due to not going as far as 60 FPS. These things effect gameplay, especially in a game about going really, really fast and reacting to split second obstacles. They lead to unfair deaths that wouldn't otherwise happen.

Therefore, it stands to reason that people opting for the PS4 version are doing it because they want a more comfortable gameplay experience that won't have as many cheap deaths. Not because of "muh graphics".

And I haven't seen a single person here put anyone down for wanting the Switch version, most definitely not myself, considering I said this in my initial response to you:

It's understandable to opt for the Switch version if you do not own another system or if you just REALLY need it portable, but it's nothing to act condescending about or make blanket generalisations of other console players over.
I've also made similar points in the past on this same topic.

So no, you do not get to pull the "I think you convey yourself as being biased against Nintendo" card. Nothing about my posts conveyed that, and to try and insinuate I did at this point - especially now that I actually have a Switch of my own that I've played for around 200 hours - is damage control and a blind unacceptance to anything that might even resemble a criticism of Nintendo or the Switch.

On that note, my critique of Forces on Switch isn't really a critique on the Switch itself. The Switch version is shaping up to be the worst version, yes, but Sonic Team are the developers. While I don't think it's shaping up to be a disaster so far - just a version that has obvious and understandable compromises, but at least has portability to somewhat make up for it - I do think it's ultimately up to third-party developers to decide if the Switch can run their game without too many compromises. If it can't and they try to force the game onto the system anyway for the sake of sales, then it's on them if the game reviews poorly on Switch and doesn't sell well, not on Nintendo. While it would be nice if the Switch had a bit more horsepower, third party devs should have the sense to know when what it does have isn't enough.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I completely forgot Mario+Rabbids was even a thing...

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You say you think people should just buy what suits their personal needs, but that's not what this line (the very one that made me respond in the first place) seemed to convey:

It's fine if you don't want a PS4, but you don't really need to follow up with a snide remark that implies the people opting for the PS4 version are lesser, unintelligent people who only care about "muh graphics" (which is exactly what "muh *insert thing here*" is supposed to mean - if you didn't realise that, then you shouldn't use it). It also implies that, even outside of Forces, people only buy PS4s for "muh graphics", which is also definitely not the case. Even without the Switch's port problem, it misses out on tons of amazing games that other systems get, some of which don't even put much of an emphasis on amazing graphics.

Like I already pointed out, frame rate effects gameplay. Unleashed HD and Generations on home consoles had issues regarding their frame rates dropping and also having dropped inputs due to not going as far as 60 FPS. These things effect gameplay, especially in a game about going really, really fast and reacting to split second obstacles. They lead to unfair deaths that wouldn't otherwise happen.

Therefore, it stands to reason that people opting for the PS4 version are doing it because they want a more comfortable gameplay experience that won't have as many cheap deaths. Not because of "muh graphics".

And I haven't seen a single person here put anyone down for wanting the Switch version, most definitely not myself, considering I said this in my initial response to you:

I've also made similar points in the past on this same topic.

So no, you do not get to pull the "I think you convey yourself as being biased against Nintendo" card. Nothing about my posts conveyed that, and to try and insinuate I did at this point - especially now that I actually have a Switch of my own that I've played for around 200 hours - is damage control and a blind unacceptance to anything that might even resemble a criticism of Nintendo or the Switch.

On that note, my critique of Forces on Switch isn't really a critique on the Switch itself. The Switch version is shaping up to be the worst version, yes, but Sonic Team are the developers. While I don't think it's shaping up to be a disaster so far - just a version that has obvious and understandable compromises, but at least has portability to somewhat make up for it - I do think it's ultimately up to third-party developers to decide if the Switch can run their game without too many compromises. If it can't and they try to force the game onto the system anyway for the sake of sales, then it's on them if the game reviews poorly on Switch and doesn't sell well, not on Nintendo. While it would be nice if the Switch had a bit more horsepower, third party devs should have the sense to know when what it does have isn't enough.
Alright, I apologize for using terminology that I clearly didn't understand the full context of. I didn't realize that a single sentence of frustration at the fact that there seems to be conclusion jumping that worse specs will make the Switch version nearly unplayable would spiral into that.

At the end of the day, I as a consumer wish to purchase games on the system that actually has an ecosystem I can enjoy while understanding the tradeoffs. The idea that I should be denied single player games as a consumer because they cannot reach the maximum current FPS standard even if the title still reaches an industry bar strikes me as deeply unappealing despite the potential gameplay ramifications, and while I wish for the developers to polish their product if it if push comes to shove and it's not outright embarassing then I would prefer the game. Criticisms about graphics being toned down are worth noting if one has multiple ecosystems and wishes to buy one version but when treated as an object of worry feels shallow.

The Nintendo Switch has an unfinished UI with more holes than swiss cheese, a mobile app they honestly shouldn't even have bothered with, and a plethora of uncertainies as to basic details. There's simply a matter that much criticism tends to either escalate to a fever pitch or is potentially misdirected. Criticism is important, but I've seen it spiral into an extreme lack of level headedness or even comprehension of the situation so often that I tend to jump a few steps ahead and weigh the level of reward of complaining before conversing. Usually the topic is common enough for it to be nil. The main thing I take issue with from Nintendo right now is a lack and poor quality of communication, something that people tend to forget when arguing the end results of it and thus more worth my time. If they can actually get out their end, determining actually fixable issues to press will be easier on mine.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Does anyone else feel distanced as a fan by Beyond Good and Evil 2?

Like, it feels like Beyond Good and Evil but the amount of cursing in the trailer and the fact that the cliffhanger ending of the first STILL isn't getting resolved are both really jarring to me. Honestly, those have kind of killed my hype for it.

Also, Monster Hunter XX comparison video for anyone who cares.
Yeah it's a HUGE difference. Obviously.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I beat Halo 1 on Legendary mode and got the Hugging Elite ending. :3

Next is Halo 2 on Legendary. Like I said before, I've done this once already but its not calculated on my Halo list. So we're gonna get that done.

Damn it. Sorry. The first post didn't register.

Last edited by a moderator:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Like, it feels like Beyond Good and Evil but the amount of cursing in the trailer and the fact that the cliffhanger ending of the first STILL isn't getting resolved are both really jarring to me. Honestly, those have kind of killed my hype for it.
I am to be honest.

The fact that this is a prequel has me concerned. If this game bombs, we'll never see a continuation of Jade's story.

However, I do have faith in Michel Ancel. The man is one of my favorite game developers. So if he believes this is the best direction to take it in, I'll trust him.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Also, Monster Hunter XX comparison video for anyone who cares.
Yeah it's a HUGE difference. Obviously.
Honestly, yeah, I feel the same. Especially since they said it's going to have a focus on online interaction.

Kinda feels like they made a game that ought to be a new IP and slapped the BG&E2 name on it for getting it some attention.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Actually, shower thoughts time.

You know what really bothers me with some Nintendo games?

Reminders that I should get off.

And normally it's harmless really. A waste of time for all parties involved, but easily navigated out of.

Aaaand then you have Chibi Robo: Photo Finder.

Wait times long enough to make Sonic '06 blush. Every hour. When it takes a good 45 minutes just to play normally in a level. To criticize me for playing it.

Honestly with that apex of awful implementation I never want to see it again. Just let parental controls handle it if moderation is necessary, if it's actively destroying gameplay it's no longer valid as a waste of time.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I wish I can say I play Splatoon 2 have fun, not to get bumbarded by politics but I dont have a twitter to post a picture. Man, People in this gane really live to ride bandwagons into the ground rant rant rant rawr rawr raw blah blah

Speaking of Twitter, I feel I should get one just so I can post pictures in the hub and screenshots

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I wish I can say I play Splatoon 2 have fun, not to get bumbarded by politics but I dont have a twitter to post a picture. Man, People in this gane really live to ride bandwagons into the ground rant rant rant rawr rawr raw blah blah

Speaking of Twitter, I feel I should get one just so I can post pictures in the hub and screenshots
Get one so we can follow each other!

D

Deleted member

Real talk though, why NoA has been so cautious about Mother 3's localization?

Is it because the game contains many references to sensitive subjects in America or... ?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Get one so we can follow each other!
If her Tumblr is any indication, she'd definitely be a good follow regardless of activity. Both my Twitter and my Tumblr hardly follow anyone yet (lazy and curate way too much simultaneously), but my Tumblr follows her and it's a wave of gold.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If her Tumblr is any indication, she'd definitely be a good follow regardless of activity. Both my Twitter and my Tumblr hardly follow anyone yet (lazy and curate way too much simultaneously), but my Tumblr follows her and it's a wave of gold.
****, I keep abandoning my tumblr pfff

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Real talk though, why NoA has been so cautious about Mother 3's localization?

Is it because the game contains many references to sensitive subjects in America or... ?
It's got VERY effeminate crossdressing men as a major plot point. Considering how the US always has a huge bunch of people **** their nappies when they're told LGBT people exist, it's BOUND to cause controversy, especially in this "muh sjws ruining muh video games by making everything gay" age

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I have a Tumblr too. ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom