• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If I'm getting any version of Forces it's the Switch version because I can't be bothered to buy a PS4 for "muh graphics" when all the games I want are on everything else too and my PC lags hard enough on pixelated games that even the Switch will probably run better.

I don't expect much out of the character creator and I'm not gonna be that prima donna posting Malcom in the Middle images because they stuck their nose up involuntarily. Just give me some decent Modern Sonic gameplay and some silly dress-up and the game meets par.
It's not really about graphics though.

It's a Sonic game.

If any game benefits from consistent 60 FPS, it's Sonic.

Or do we all just fondly remember playing Jungle Joyride at like, 10 FPS? Or dying to dropped inputs in Unleashed and Generations (console version)? Y'all know I love both games to death, but they really were held back by the hardware of those consoles.

Not saying the Switch version of Forces is going to get that bad (though it's definitely a real possibility), but acting as if people are being graphics whores is just being ignorant.

I bought Mania on Switch, PS4, and PC and that was because each version offered me something the others couldn't (Switch for portability and playing at midnight launch, PS4 for 4K and easy game play capture and getting the collectors edition, PC for inevitable mods because you know the Sonic hacking community is itching to bust this game open), but at the same time, none of them offers a significant drawback to the actual gameplay or visual style of the game.

The Switch version of Forces may have portability, but it's not worth it in exchange for a compromised gameplay experience. It's understandable to opt for the Switch version if you do not own another system or if you just REALLY need it portable, but it's nothing to act condescending about or make blanket generalisations of other console players over. At the end of the day, getting the Switch version in this case, is literally "settling". Players on other systems get an objectively better experience in both gameplay and graphics.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

It's a Sonic game.

Or do we all just fondly remember playing Jungle Joyride at like, 10 FPS? Or dying to dropped inputs in Unleashed and Generations (console version)? Y'all know I love both games to death, but they really were held back by the hardware of those consoles.

Not saying the Switch version of Forces is going to get that bad (though it's definitely a real possibility), but acting as if people are being graphics whores is just being ignorant.

I bought Mania on Switch, PS4, and PC and that was because each version offered me something the others couldn't (Switch for portability and playing at midnight launch, PS4 for 4K and easy game play capture and getting the collectors edition, PC for inevitable mods because you know the Sonic hacking community is itching to bust this game open), but at the same time, none of them offers a significant drawback to the actual gameplay or visual style of the game.

The Switch version of Forces may have portability, but it's not worth it in exchange for a compromised gameplay experience. It's understandable to opt for the Switch version if you do not own another system or if you just REALLY need it portable, but it's nothing to act condescending about or make blanket generalisations of other console players over. At the end of the day, getting the Switch version in this case, is literally "settling". Players on other systems get an objectively better experience in both gameplay and graphics.
i thunk some of us that are thinking about getting the switch version just like to be optimistic. Im getting it because Im still pretty optimistic about it dispite people ****ting so hard on it although I will say I have thought about not getting it at all because of that at times. even if I had the other consoles, Id get the switch version

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
i thunk some of us that are thinking about getting the switch version just like to be optimistic. Im getting it because Im still pretty optimistic about it dispite people ****ting so hard on it. even if I had the other consoles, Id get the switch version
I have all 3 consoles and I would get it for the Switch if I was getting it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I doubt the Switch version will be as terrible as some will be joyed to point out.

It'll take a hit in the graphics but the fact of the matter is, if they didn't believe they could make the game just as well in Switch then they wouldn't have developed it. After all, look at all the developers that refuse to put games on the switch due to it having limitations. The graphics will take a hit but considering they may be able to pack an expansive game like Forces onto a portable machine is awe inspiring. I doubt they'll let the Switch version fall far short of the other 2. I'm almost positive they'll hit 60fps before release.
The textures and shadows are also quite a bit more pixelated on Switch.

It's really not comparable honestly, the Switch version is basically running in "low-end PC" mode.
Have you watched a comparison video? Besides the obvious lack of some geometry it's really not that big of a difference.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

It's a Sonic game.

I just don't want to feel like I'm not allowed to buy a game because I don't want to buy a $300 space heater.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It'll take a hit in the graphics but the fact of the matter is, if they didn't believe they could make the game just as well in Switch then they wouldn't have developed it.
This means absolutely nothing. They're putting it on the Switch because the Switch is doing well in sales and Sonic has always sold better on Nintendo due to more kids and fans of platformers being on Nintendo consoles. Them being capable of making it play "just as well" has absolutely nothing to do with it. Nintendo themselves is guilty of such a practice - ever played Hyrule Warriors Legends on an original 3DS/XL? It's a borderline unplayable mess. The only reason they didn't limit it to New 3DS (where it plays like a dream) only was because they knew the install base was much lower for that.

I'm almost positive they'll hit 60fps before release.
This just seems unrealistic, nor do we have any objective reason to believe this would be the case. All other versions of the game so far have been demoed at a consistent 60 FPS, while the Switch version is capped at 30 FPS. It's not even an unlocked frame rate that happens to float around 30 FPS, they have literally placed a cap on it so that it's more consistent, indicating that the game is likely a lot more jumpy on Switch with an unlocked frame rate. That's a very deliberate move. If they haven't got it running at an acceptable rate when the frame rate is unlocked, then they aren't going to hit consistent 60 FPS at this stage.

Have you watched a comparison video? Besides the obvious lack of some geometry it's really not that big of a difference.
I have watched a few and read articles written by people who played both, and the differences are like night and day.

Granted, I don't think the difference is as noticeable when the Switch version is in handheld mode, but playing it in TV mode shows the shadows being much less detailed, the lighting being much more basic, and this in turn makes the models look a little worse, plus it has blurrier textures. The frame rate difference is obvious of course.

I'm not saying the Switch version is some irredeemable piece of trash, but there is no way around the fact that it's going to be an inferior port compared to the other versions. And I honestly don't know why anyone would try to defend it as anything but that. If a person opts to go only with the Switch for this current generation of games, then they should have resigned themselves long ago, to the fact that multiplat ports to the Switch will have a tendency be significantly downgraded, be it in graphics or in frame rate (the latter of which effects gameplay), almost every single time.

I just don't want to feel like I'm not allowed to buy a game because I don't want to buy a $300 space heater.
My PS4 Pro is less noisy than my Switch and doesn't get as hot as my Switch. When it's playing Breath of the Wild, anyway. Just an FYI.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Want Sonic Forces confirmed for the Switch before it was even named?

I doubt sales had much to so with it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
This means absolutely nothing. They're putting it on the Switch because the Switch is doing well in sales and Sonic has always sold better on Nintendo due to more kids and fans of platformers being on Nintendo consoles. Them being capable of making it play "just as well" has absolutely nothing to do with it. Nintendo themselves is guilty of such a practice - ever played Hyrule Warriors Legends on an original 3DS/XL? It's a borderline unplayable mess. The only reason they didn't limit it to New 3DS (where it plays like a dream) only was because they knew the install base was much lower for that.

This just seems unrealistic, nor do we have any objective reason to believe this would be the case. All other versions of the game so far have been demoed at a consistent 60 FPS, while the Switch version is capped at 30 FPS. It's not even an unlocked frame rate that happens to float around 30 FPS, they have literally placed a cap on it so that it's more consistent, indicating that the game is likely a lot more jumpy on Switch with an unlocked frame rate. That's a very deliberate move. If they haven't got it running at an acceptable rate when the frame rate is unlocked, then they aren't going to hit consistent 60 FPS at this stage.

I have watched a few and read articles written by people who played both, and the differences are like night and day.

Granted, I don't think the difference is as noticeable when the Switch version is in handheld mode, but playing it in TV mode shows the shadows being much less detailed, the lighting being much more basic, and this in turn makes the models look a little worse, plus it has blurrier textures. The frame rate difference is obvious of course.

I'm not saying the Switch version is some irredeemable piece of trash, but there is no way around the fact that it's going to be an inferior port compared to the other versions. And I honestly don't know why anyone would try to defend it as anything but that. If a person opts to go only with the Switch for this current generation of games, then they should have resigned themselves long ago, to the fact that multiplat ports to the Switch will have a tendency be significantly downgraded, be it in graphics or in frame rate (the latter of which effects gameplay), almost every single time.

My PS4 Pro is less noisy than my Switch and doesn't get as hot as my Switch. When it's playing Breath of the Wild, anyway. Just an FYI.
OK.

I don't want to buy a $300 giant paperweight.

My PS3 got neglected like mad at the end and most of the reason I used it was for Sonic and Ratchet and Clank with some Terraria at the end. I cannot justify a $300 purchase over one remake of a game I already played from a series where I felt burned with the entry before it and some games I find visually unappealing that people "swear are good."

Is that a satisfactory explanation for why it feels awkward that it feels like I'm being judged for wanting the Switch version?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
OK.

I don't want to buy a $300 giant paperweight.

My PS3 got neglected like mad at the end and most of the reason I used it was for Sonic and Ratchet and Clank with some Terraria at the end. I cannot justify a $300 purchase over one remake of a game I already played from a series where I felt burned with the entry before it and some games I find visually unappealing that people "swear are good."

Is that a satisfactory explanation for why it feels awkward that it feels like I'm being judged for wanting the Switch version?
never have I seen someone make others feel bad for getting a switch verion of a game but yet, here we are, feeling bad that we are getting the switch version

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Buy your games on whatever system you want. Just make sure you know your preferences and what system offers what.

The solar eclipse is tomorrow and excited that my city is in its path.

Good thing I'm off work early tomorrow.
Stay away from anyone named Griffith and if you see a weird red egg then just leave it unless you want to sacrifice people around you to become a God.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, considering the fact that they announced the game for the "NX" well before the Switch was even available for purchase throws a bit of a wrench in that argument.

Well, there's really no way to tell how game will finalize considering our very brief glimpses. Mind you it could very well cap out at 30 but that's just making an assumption. It isn't unrealistic though. The port to the Switch will obviously be a rougher transition than to Xbox or Playstation. It's just a matter of working out the kinks up to release. Comparative to the Xbox One and PS4, Switch has vastly different architecture it doesn't mean that it's entirely incapable of running a single one of those games smoothly.

Again, your making assumptions off of what we have readily available and, again, you could very well be correct but you're looking at this like it's impossible for anyone to possibly like the Switch version over the almighty PS4 version. Obviously the PS4 version is going to be better but how much better, marginally or exponentially, is still up for speculation.

I can definitely see that you're FAR more passionate about this than I am though so I'm just going to leave you with that. If you want to respond though, I'm more than happy to hear your opinion.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
For this eclipse, Im going to go outside, look directly at the sky and... throw middle fingers at the clouds.

Switch is my only choice for switch* and I cant see FPS. . .so that's the beginning and end of my decision

* sonic Forces
Typo master strikes again!
Also Summerslammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Didnt watch the pre-show because I forgot it existed.
New Day and Tozawa losing annoys me since they just won. Of course, Usos and Neville were both godlike champions so. . .
Naomi losing is a bit annoying because this feud had like 0 buildup. Sounds like the match wasnt good either. unlike the other 2 which were apparently great. Naomi's reign was booked pretty poorly so im hoping this shakes it up but it's Natayla so no hope there.
Sounds like baron Corbin got buried. Terrible decision. Pre-mania he was being pushed almost as much as Braun. Then he kept getting pushed and won MONEY IN THE ****ING BANK. Now he's getting buried by Cena. K WWE.

Actual show!
Randy Orton VS Rusev: **** off. Rusev is too good to be getting OHKO'd

Big C VS Big S: I didnt care enough to watch. Cass won so they are at least pushing the younger talent. The fact that Enzo and Cass split is still absurdly stupid tho.

Wyatt VS Balor: Demon Finn should have not been announced. Would have been a great surprise. Match was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but good showings from both. The end being "Finn doesnt care about the back bend so he won" is super lame though.

SHIELD *2/3 VS THE BAR: I was a Cesaro Mark, and i've been a shesaro match since I saw them start out. I haven't marked out as much as I did for New Day/ Shesaro when they one since then. This match was pretty good. I feel like Shield didnt get enough offense in, but I guess it's a tage team match haha. Was a nice mark out moment. Rest of the reign should be great.

Special referee match where the special referee didnt do much: Im ok with this. I hope this means they can move onto other feuds.

Bliss VS Banks: really good match. No complaints throughout the whole thing. . .except the end which was kind of anticlimactic. Interested to see how this one plays out

Jinder VS Nakamura:
Match happens > opponent gets momentum >singh bros interfere > singh bros get hit > Coloss> Mahal wins.
WWE STOP THIS PLEASE. MAHAL HAS NOT WORKED. HIS PROMOS ARE ALL THE SAME. HIS MATCHES ARE ALL THE SAME. STOP

FATAL 4 WA- OH MY GOD HE'S DEAD
Great match and it's everything I wanted from 4 huge dads beating each other up. Never seen a table flip spot before so that was great. Even a call-back to the chair throw.

Brock winning is sketchy if he stays MIA, but everyone came out of this looking super strong and has places they can go with it. It was great

Final Result: poor showing from an S tier PPV with mania being so spectacular, but at least the finale was good?

Last edited:
https://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/special/

Monolith Soft are recruiting for a new project

This artwork is amazing.

Xeno Souls inbound

**** I want that

About a year and a half ago I thought up a game I wanted done by Monolithsotft

Same style/time period look
Female main cahracter
as a knight

Swear to god if I manage to get a game I made up becoming a reality I will scream

I doubt i'll get the revenge story or the gay love story but i'll settle for less

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Switch is my only choice for switch and I cant see FPS. . .so that's the beginning and end of my decision

Also Summerslammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Didnt watch the pre-show because I forgot it existed.
New Day and Tozawa losing annoys me since they just won. Of course, Usos and Neville were both godlike champions so. . .
Naomi losing is a bit annoying because this feud had like 0 buildup. Sounds like the match wasnt good either. unlike the other 2 which were apparently great. Naomi's reign was booked pretty poorly so im hoping this shakes it up but it's Natayla so no hope there.
Sounds like baron Corbin got buried. Terrible decision. Pre-mania he was being pushed almost as much as Braun. Then he kept getting pushed and won MONEY IN THE ****ING BANK. Now he's getting buried by Cena. K WWE.

Actual show!
Randy Orton VS Rusev: **** off. Rusev is too good to be getting OHKO'd

Big C VS Big S: I didnt care enough to watch. Cass won so they are at least pushing the younger talent. The fact that Enzo and Cass split is still absurdly stupid tho.

Wyatt VS Balor: Demon Finn should have not been announced. Would have been a great surprise. Match was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but good showings from both. The end being "Finn doesnt care about the back bend so he won" is super lame though.

SHIELD *2/3 VS THE BAR: I was a Cesaro Mark, and i've been a shesaro match since I saw them start out. I haven't marked out as much as I did for New Day/ Shesaro when they one since then. This match was pretty good. I feel like Shield didnt get enough offense in, but I guess it's a tage team match haha. Was a nice mark out moment. Rest of the reign should be great.

Special referee match where the special referee didnt do much: Im ok with this. I hope this means they can move onto other feuds.

Bliss VS Banks: really good match. No complaints throughout the whole thing. . .except the end which was kind of anticlimactic. Interested to see how this one plays out

Jinder VS Nakamura:
Match happens > opponent gets momentum >singh bros interfere > singh bros get hit > Coloss> Mahal wins.
WWE STOP THIS PLEASE. MAHAL HAS NOT WORKED. HIS PROMOS ARE ALL THE SAME. HIS MATCHES ARE ALL THE SAME. STOP

FATAL 4 WA- OH MY GOD HE'S DEAD
Great match and it's everything I wanted from 4 huge dads beating each other up. Never seen a table flip spot before so that was great. Even a call-back to the chair throw.

Brock winning is sketchy if he stays MIA, but everyone came out of this looking super strong and has places they can go with it. It was great

Final Result: poor showing from an S tier PPV with mania being so spectacular, but at least the finale was good?
You forgot the biggest victim of ShovelSlam

RIP Beach Ball

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'll get a view at a near total eclipse since I love in North Alabama. Also got a single pair of den fancy shades for like 4 of us. But consider I'm like the only one who cares about this thing, I'm going to hog the **** out of them.:cool:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Summerslam was a PPV.

Baron Corbin and Rusev are dead.

Jinder utilizes the strongest finisher of all time, the Singh Bros Interfere And Then I Hit Them With a Garbage Looking Slam.

Braun Strowman kills Brock, but luckily Heyman had the Dragon Balls on standby.

Shield getting the tag belts was cool and they didn't even need the Big Dog My Yard to help them out.

Oh and some other stuff happened I guess

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
Japan favours pure white skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes because to them, that's exotic. It's something a Japanese girl can never naturally be.

It's like how people in North America might prefer a darker skinned Spanish girl or something (don't know what's actually popular there, just saying for the sake of argument) because that's exotic to them. Or indeed, how they might prefer an Asian girl.

Darker skinned girls also tend to have a rougher, more masculine appearance, while modern Japanese culture seems to favour pure femininity.
Kind of jumping off of this, as far as I know, there's never been a person in the fire emblem games who had completely black skin...

We've gotten tan-ish skin, but ganondorf levels of black skin has never been a thing in fire emblem (to my knowledge)

It's kind of funny. :laugh:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Kind of jumping off of this, as far as I know, there's never been a person in the fire emblem games who had completely black skin...

We've gotten tan-ish skin, but ganondorf levels of black skin has never been a thing in fire emblem (to my knowledge)

It's kind of funny. :laugh:
What's a Basilio? Is it something you eat?

EDIT: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Basilio

That's not tan, that's Nick Fury with an axe.

Last edited:
Just remembered that in that game the girl was a princess. . .this girl has a crown. WTF. Did Monolith go into my brain? Probably going to write down everything I thought of for the sake of fortune-telling

You forgot the biggest victim of ShovelSlam

RIP Beach Ball
RIP May it die in peace

i wish we had a gif of Cesaro running out like that, but i've only seen the end result

little more artwork
EDIT this might actually be from something else just as general art. .. but it's pretty so im not taking it down

Anyway, if I can sort of get the game I thought of a yera ago, can I get the game im currently thinking about too? Please????????????? I really need my tactical mech game. I have so many details already thought out :(

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Monolith Soft is moving up with new things and I still haven't got into the Xenoblade series; even though I've been recommended so many times and one I wanna get into real badly.

And for the record I have Xenogears downloaded and I've barely gotten anywhere past the beginning (wtf am I doing with myself).

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
A new project from Monolith Soft outside of Xenoblade? I'd be down for that - that is some very pretty concept art. All I'd like to see now is what sort of game it will be.

Re which platform I might get Sonic Forces on? Very likely to be the same system I get Mania on - for the Switch. If it's a decent port/version, that's fine by me. I've got too much in the PS4 backlog to add more games to it.

Chrono.

Apparently the reason Baron is getting burned so badly is because that promo he did with Cena was seen as terrible backstage and the higher ups just think he isn't ready right now. Though that hardly justifies a near Zack Ryder level burial.

Rest of the show was okay. Reddit is mad Bliss lost which is hilarious for a lot of reasons (even as a Bliss fan and as someone is tired of Sasha, it was the right call), I liked Naomi/Natalya it was a surprisingly fun match (Naomi can't run over the rest of the division when it's so small so I understand the switch), Randy/Rusev was a hot mess but Rusev has been dead for months now, Semi-Shield/Shesaro was all good stuff and my personal MOTN, Nakamura/Jinder... Oh boy, I really didn't care for either of these dudes and after seeing how this went I care even less. The 4-way was insane and the only reason it's not my MOTN is because I don't agree with Brock winning.

Re: Sonic Forces.

I'm probably getting it on Switch, only because the PS4 isn't easily accessible for me so I wouldn't be able to play whenever I wanted. But if the Switch version is waaaaay too gimped then I'll get it on PS4 anyway.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Ooh! Possible open world game by Monolith in a fantasy setting? I'm down!

Either way beat Zero Mission! Took me over 4 hours in game time and 68%...

Still satisfying as **** re-obtaining your Power suit after being bullied by the Space Pirates! PAYBACK'S A *****!!!

Anyways on to Fusion next!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Holy **** GoT was amazing.

Westeros is ****ed I tell ya

LOOOOOOL you caught me while I was editing that in. :4greninja:

So there was a rumour yesterday about Mother 3 localization plans being dead, right? Bull****, in order to he dead you need to have been alive in the first place
What is dead may never die.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My Majin Girl has Human Extinction Attack, or "Shooting Rain" as this game calls it.

And it just wipes out EVERYTHING.

It's the Attack Super Buu used to kill everyone on Earth

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't know why, but I thought that attack was called Genocide Cannon or something. Super Buu had some cool attacks at least. He even had a Blanka Roll.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Today on 'What is neogaf upset about?' iiiiiiiit's Metroid! Sakamoto said he'd love to work on more 2D Metroid games should there be enough demand for them. Neogaf is now trying to boycott the game because "THEY'RE HOLDING METROID HOSTAGE ON THE 3DS AND ARE TELLING US IF WE DON'T BUY IT WE'LL NEVER GET IT AGAIN!"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Free DLC gave me Vegito SSB and Fused Zamasu

...They are the same level as my characters but they kill opponents in 1 hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom