• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Really?

I'd argue the precedence Nintendo set with Smash (the Invitationals, making GC controllers work for that one game, and what not) and it's continued success in the competitive community, is the only reason Nintendo are trying so desperately to push ARMS as a serious fighter in the first place. Probably so they can act like the Switch has a big new fighting game until the next Smash comes out or they get a big third party one on the Switch.
I mean you literally said it...

Arms is getting a big competitive push likely because of how popular Smash is competitively...

Also I wasn't saying that Nintendo never supported the competitive scene at all, but Nintendo has never really given competitive gaming much thought until now with Arms, Splatoon, and Pokken DX and with the new Nintendo VS...Smash will likely be huge when it comes out for competitve gaming...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So...I'm not really feeling Max Brass atm...

As a heavy, he's pretty darn slow, that's for sure...Spring Man has a lot more fluidity with his movement with the same abilities...

His...Super Chest, I'll call it, isn't too dissimilar to Min Min's Dragon Arm since it requires a full charge to get, but I'm so used to Min Min's speed that it just feels so clunky...sure he has Spring Man's Blue Bounce but Min Min has her backflip kick so it's not really a big advantage...It's still early though so you never know once I get used to the character...

Sky Stadium is a great stage though, it would definitely be one of my favourites on a competitive level, simple enough that there's no shenanigans but still requires a certain level of strategy...I feel like this may be the Smashville of Arms tbh...

Also good riddance to Snakepark in Ranked...It's a fun as hell stage don't get me wrong, but on a competitive level it's so damn stupid...I feel like they should've made those platforms items instead of a stage mechanic so then we can still have competitive battles of snakepark, sure it's big which makes it easy to run and camp but at least it won't be outright broken...

Ever know about a spoiler, and then you get to an episode that seems to completely contradict all of the logic there? because that is what I just hit with MHA after Episode 24 . . .
EDIT Episode 25 didn't make things any better . . .

Also im running out of episodes D:

Last edited:

Chrono.

Splatoon had patch notes, there were even jabs thrown at the Smash fanbase being salty because Splatoon had them and Smash didn't.

Pokken had patch notes too.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I've got a question though...

When they increased the penalty in Ranked....Increased what exactly? Does the player get a loss for DCing? Do they lose rank exp? Do they lose in-game currency? Are they banned for a short time?

Either way it's one thing I'm glad they are addressing at least cuz it was really annoying doing well in some matches then "Oh **** I suck, bye!" and I get nothing and it just wastes my time...

Also I noticed Hydra got nerfed...one of my main Arms but having played a bit more Ranked, it doesn't feel too detrimental when playing and I usually since to a Medium or Heavy if hydra's not working...

I am a weak wiiled man

https://www.humblebundle.com/capcom-rising-bundle

Just got second tier of this. It's a pretty great deal, but I hate spending money,
So now I own Strider, REmake, RE0, DmC, RE6, for $7.30

Im not sure my PC can play any of them but I hope so. Would be nice to play Strider, which has been on my wishlist since release, and finally play a RE game.

Srsly though, great time for PC gamers who have some capcom games in their wishlist.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Oh, Nico Nico Douga is coming to Switch's Japanese eShop this week.

It'll be the first media app for the system. I hope other ones like Youtube, Twitch and Netflix and WWE Network come soon.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Patch notes!
3 images worth. Thanks nintendo

SNAKE PARK IS NOT A RANKED STAGE ANYMORE
Let me recap what this means for me.

- No Snake Park in Ranked
- Sky Arena in Ranked
- Minor nerf to Kid Cobra, fix that effectively slightly nerfs Ribbon Girl
- Nerfs and fixes that all hit light arms
- Slapamander slaps Helix properly

Just gonna sit here and be a giddy Min Min main main.

At least until I run into all the brand-new Brassholes.

Congradulations, you just described SiIvaGunner 100% of the time.

Do yourself a favor and look up BotanicSage[BS]
Devil's advocating, but [BS]'s channel recycles a couple things itself. His endless Quad City DJs mixes, for example, or the Chip freestyle in more recent material.

However I do think he's gone the opposite direction as SilvaGunner overall in that regard; where Silva initially drew from a wide pool and narrowed to some popular memes, BotanicSage started with a couple memes and began branching out much further within the scope of his mashups.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, I'd more expect the people doing the actual patches(Sakurai's team) to give the patch notes then Nintendo themselves so...

But eh. Considering the Smash fanbase tends to look through the data anyway, it never much mattered. Hard to say why Sakurai didn't deem it necessary to give to the userbase, though. But he didn't want to for some reason.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So...

Spring Man: Springs
Ribbon Girl: Ribbons
Ninjara: Chains
Master Mummy: Bandages
Mechanika: Wires and Cables?
Min Min: Noodles & Dragon
Helix: Deoxyribonucleic Acid
Kid Cobra: Snakes
Twintelle: Hair
Byte & Barq: Clock coils
Max Brass: Belts

Who's next?
Ropes
Vines
Strings (Marionette would be neat)
Yarn
Eels/Fish
Kelp/Seaweed
Duct Tape (Red Green for Arms when!!!)
Barbed Wire
Candy (Candy Cane, Taffy, licorice, bubblegum etc)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So in honor of the reveal that Berkut is in the next GHB, I'd figure we should have some discussion about him. Some of us here have mentioned some things about Berkut every now and then, but we've never had a true discussion pertaining to him. Let's do that now.

What is your opinion of Berkut as a character? Is he sympathetic? Do you think he is a well-written villain or not?

Most Fire Emblem fans on the Internet seem to think Berkut is a really well-written villain, but I've also seen a good number of fans who argue the opposite (last time I was on Serenesforest, the community was divided on Berkut, with half saying he is well-written while the other half arguing that he is a horribly written antagonist). Some have even made comparisons between Berkut and Anakin Skywalker.

I'm curious to hear what our fellow Fire Emblem fans here in Nintenzone think of Berkut. I'll give my response to the question later.
Berkut is a mixed bag. On the one hand, his presentation is excellent, he has a great voice actor and Ian Sinclair nailed the role, his design is great, and he has a good premise to him as he's supposed to be a foil to Alm as well as be a tragic figure. Overall, he has the makings of a good villain as all the pieces are there.

However, that's where the problem lies, the pieces are there, but they don't come together well and I feel it comes down to how the game plays out his premise and role. To start, he's supposed to be an up and coming general and as such should carry a strong presence and leave an impression on you. However, as mentioned before, the game does a poor job conveying this aspect of him. Every time we fight him he gets trounced by Alm and it's not portrayed to even be close between them in terms of level of skill, Alm is just flat out better then him when it came to the battlefield and thus he doesn't feel threatening since your team is superior from the get-go. The fact that these defeats are also followed with him yelling in frustration (typically at Rinea) makes it worse since he does come off as a whiny kid who's not getting his way rather then a young man who just doesn't understand why he's being outdone by this new young general. He really needed a couple scenes where we see him get a good couple battles under his belt so that we can see how strong he is as a general, or at least give him the stats and story presence to make it seem like he's powerful and should be someone to keep an eye on. Either of these would've allowed him to come off as a strong young man with a bright future ahead of him in terms of his battle prowess in the army, and by doing that you not only get a villain who feels like you're accomplishing something in defeating, but also a villain where we see and understand how far he falls when we do defeat him.

That also leads into the problem with him being a tragic figure, we don't get to fully appreciate how much he's fallen. We don't get the opportunities to see how strong of a general he is before Alm starts beating him down, his relationship with Rinea has zero chemistry and little development so it fails at humanizing him as a character, and the pacing of the story doesn't allow for us to fully understand his downward spiral. In general he feels like he could've used more time in the story to flesh out his beginnings, his fall, and his tragedy and unfortunately that does affect his effectiveness as a villain. He's not necessarily a bad one, but he is one that has a lot of missed opportunities and thus one that doesn't fully succeed at what the story wants him to be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You've seen "People die when they're killed".
You've watched the exciting sequels "The Archer class is really made of archers" and "Just because you're right doesn't mean you're correct"
Now get ready for
FB_IMG_14998395353146483.jpg

So in honor of the reveal that Berkut is in the next GHB, I'd figure we should have some discussion about him. Some of us here have mentioned some things about Berkut every now and then, but we've never had a true discussion pertaining to him. Let's do that now.

What is your opinion of Berkut as a character? Is he sympathetic? Do you think he is a well-written villain or not?

Most Fire Emblem fans on the Internet seem to think Berkut is a really well-written villain, but I've also seen a good number of fans who argue the opposite (last time I was on Serenesforest, the community was divided on Berkut, with half saying he is well-written while the other half arguing that he is a horribly written antagonist). Some have even made comparisons between Berkut and Anakin Skywalker.

I'm curious to hear what our fellow Fire Emblem fans here in Nintenzone think of Berkut. I'll give my response to the question later.
I think he's pretty overrated
The fact both of his so-called strenght and love for Rinea are only Informed Traits is what hurts because all we ever see is him whining and lashing out on her.
He makes for an entertaining villain and his final moment is heartwarming but I don't really like him as a character.
I feel like Fernand was done slightly better

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So...

Who's next?
Ropes
Vines
Yarn
Eels/Fish
Kelp/Seaweed
Barbed Wire
Not gonna lie, I would not be surprised if we end up getting a biker thug fighter with barbed wire arms eventually.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The problem is that you can't hotlink images from Pixiv - that is, you can't just take the link to the image and stick it in an [img] tag, because Pixiv blocks that on their end. Instead, you should upload it somewhere like Imgur first, and then post that link instead.
Sooo, like this?

If it doesn't work, then I give up.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Might as well respond to my own question.

I am in-between regarding Berkut. On the one hand, he is much better than the likes of Garon, Iago, Hans, Validar, and Grima. Those five villains were cartoonishly evil and that was pretty much it. Berkut is different from those five in that he felt like a more realistic villain: realistic in the sense that he had human motivations behind his goals. Due to Rigel's standards and his familial upbringing, he's been hammered with the idea that he needs to become an exceptionally strong and capable soldier. He also wants to become the next ruler of Rigel, hence why he assists in the invasion of Zofia. When Alm comes into the picture, Berkut finds a rival and antagonist that stands in his way. At first, Berkut is arrogant towards Alm and believes he can easily beat him just because Alm is a farm boy, but with each victory Alm gains over him, Berkut becomes more desperate to surpass him. This leads to the mirror and Duma scenes, both were moments where he turned to a last resort to beat Alm.

I also have to praise Ian Sinclair for doing a fantastic job voicing Berkut. He really nailed the character's emotions well, making Berkut an enjoyable character to listen to. I also like Berkut's design, and all of his themes are among the best tracks in Echoes (his final battle theme, the Scions Dance in Purgatory, being one of my top three favorite tracks in the game).

On the other hand, I was not a fan of Berkut's relationship with Rinea. Rinea is supposed to be there to present Berkut's good side, but what we get of Berkut and Rinea's interactions doesn't really show that. Most scenes of the two involve Berkut lashing out at her (i.e. following his Act 4 battle, he screams "shut up" to her at the top of his lungs). This eventually culminates in Act 5 where Berkut does the unthinkable and kills his own lover just to strike a deal with Duma, and why did he do it? All because Rinea refused to become his empress. That really didn't put Berkut in a good light, and with all the interactions he had with her prior... yeah, it just comes to show using Rinea as a tool to present Berkut's sympathetic side didn't really work. The only times we truly see the two having a heart-to-heart aside are during Berkut's final moments (which felt forced to the point I didn't truly feel bad for his death) and that memory prism where we see how the two first met.

Speaking about Berkut's final moments, one thing that bugged me about it was Alm's reaction to it. While I enjoy Alm as a character, I find it odd that he still forgives Berkut and even grieves over his death. Berkut doesn't do anything nice to him the whole game. What really tops off Berkut's treatment to Alm is when Berkut says this to Rinea in his final battle:

^That line speaks of pure hatred!

Another problem with Berkut is that we aren't really shown of his battle accomplishments. Such events presented in the game could've better depicted him as a more sympathetic character by demonstrating how he has become a powerful soldier on his own merits just like how he states that his parents raised him to be. I would say this is another one of those cases where a villain could've had more screen time in certain areas to make them more redeemable.

But what we got of Berkut, we ultimately have a character who comes across as a whiny manchild. The game tries to make him feel sympathetic with the whole "he was raised by his parents to be a strong, capable warrior who must fulfill his duty" and his relationship with Rinea, but ultimately, such sympathy is lacking when we don't really see his successes nor genuine moments of bonding with his lover.

I liked Berkut better than Fernand though. To me, Fernand was an irredeemable scumbag in my eyes, to the point I felt no remorse when he died. At least the first Rise of the Deliverance DLC map painted Fernand in a better light, but it wasn't enough for me to truly take a 180 on the character.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
After seeing that I wish it didn't worked.
That blue image sure bombed my mind. ._.

You can blame Moydow for that. If he didn't tell me how to upload it on Imgur first, then it would have never been uploaded at all and your mind would been spared of this blue demon that still stare at my soul.

But atleast now, being the sucker because of pixiv damn shenanigans would have been worth it in the end.
It worked.

I give up.
Nah, you are cool, don't give up.

Chrono.

Gundam Versus is starting to sound a little less desirable than initially.

Single Player content got gutted when compared to Extreme VS and Full Boost (Mission Mode is completely gone, in it's place is Ultimate Battle, which is a dull 30-40 survival match against mook hordes) and, while the roster is the largest in series by far, a lot, and I mean a lot, are filler/grunts with no real unique movesets. This is coupled with the fact that series like G Gundam and Gundam X are completely missing.

I'm still buying it though since I want to support the franchise and getting more Gundam games localized is always good.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Marie has some funny things to say when the player doesn't shut the **** up

I don't like pineapple pizza either...
I remember there was a Splatfest theme Pro pineapple vs Anti pineapple in the Europe and Oceania region. So I guess that dialogue could be the reference to that. And Marie obviously was on the anti pineapple, so Europe and Oceania fans probably already know that Marie hates pineapple pizza.
And the result was anti pineapple pizza won.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, it looks like we have not one, but two new banners on the horizon for Heroes this week, both based on Echoes:

Alm: Mathilda, Gray, and Delthea
Celica: Leon, Saber, and Sonya

Of course they split the fan favorites across two banners, IS you clever dastards...

Edit: Also, it looks like Clive is in the new Chapters, you can see him in the corner above Sonya. So he may be another GHB unit that appears here, but won't be available for a little while like what happened with Legion and Clarisse.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Well, it looks like we have not one, but two new banners on the horizon for Heroes this week, both based on Echoes:

And of course they split the fan favorites across two banners. IS, you clever dastards...
Not gonna lie, Delthea looks pretty horrid.

Also smh no Kliff, hope he isn't the only villager left out.

Sonya looks the best imo.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Question:
If you crash a car against another one in the US and you don't have insurance, how ****ed you are in terms of money?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Question:
If you crash a car against another one in the US and you don't have insurance, how ****ed you are in terms of money?
Well, for starters, it's illegal in all 50 states. So you got at least the state and the other party's insurance coming after you.

Exactly how ****ed you are is probably up to the other motorist's insurance company, but it's not gonna end well regardless.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm watching dbz abridged

"Sweetie, I don't see a sandwhich with that beer"

LOL

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Of course they split the fan favorites across two banners, IS you clever dastards...

Edit: Also, it looks like Clive is in the new Chapters, you can see him in the corner above Sonya. So he may be another GHB unit that appears here, but won't be available for a little while like what happened with Legion and Clarisse.
Me: "Gee, I just got 5-Star Alm and 5-Star Mae, I think I should save my orbs for something really good"

IS: "But you can get Delthea, Sonya, Saber, Gray, Leon, and Mathilda now"

Me: "It's fine, I didn't want my money anyway"

Joking aside, I might just wait for their stats to come out to see if they're really worth pulling for. I'd love to get all of them (they literally chose most of the characters I would want left from Echoes, all that's left is Masked Knight, Clive, and Mycen).

Also, seeing all the love Echoes is getting in Heroes is making me wish even more that Echoes was a big represented game in FE Warriors.

D

Deleted member

I feel so lost in this city I have no idea how to sepak their language and I feel like speaking English here is considered a national offense
Basically, what I'm trying to say is that this is truly the Lumiose City experience
Leon, Saber, and Sonya
Literally my 3 favorite Celica units I hate this game

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
After looking at the trailers, Mathilda, Sonya, Leon, and Saber look like they could be really good. They have some very interesting skills. Just need to see stats now.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i am 95% done from modeling Harry from teleroboxer the only thing left for me to finish is the knee and some edge details

i cant believe its been 2 months since i started modeling him i usually finish any model i make in less than 2 weeks but i am lazy

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So...

Who's next?
Ropes
Vines
Yarn
Eels/Fish
Kelp/Seaweed
Barbed Wire
Calling it now. Accordions.

This makes fifteen playable heroes from Echoes, sixteen with Clive probably being a GHB, and twenty when including the Whitewings and Camus.

This means the only non-playable ones are:

Alm's Route: Kliff, Silque, Forsyth, Python, Tatiana, Luthier, Mycen
Celica's Route: Valbar, Kamui, "Masked Knight," Atlas, Jesse, Deen, Nomah

Seven left per route if I counted correctly and didn't forget anyone. Knowing that they don't tend to add literally every hero, I really hope we still get Silque one day. I'd go back into Colorless Hell for Silque. :p

Really excited for Gray, Mathilda, Saber, and Leon.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So...

Who's next?
Ropes
Vines
Yarn
Eels/Fish
Kelp/Seaweed
Barbed Wire
Accordions, balloons and phone cords.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i dotn see acordians being a futre arms characters arms because every arm so far has been in a piral pattern this leads me to belive that the final characters will be simon, yoko and kamina from gurren lagan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom