• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
My biggest problem with Wonder Woman was that
they killed Ludendorff. IRL he actually lived until 1937. He even played a role in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
My 7-year old cousin is more critical than, like, almost everyone in my family.
She just said Wonder Woman is okay because the whole Evil God thing is boring as it's been done numerous times before and that the villain is just "super evil" like in all superhero movies.
A 7-year old shouldn't have this level of critical thinking.

To be fair a "sympathetic villain" has been done a lot more (if not in other types of movies)

D

Deleted member

I can't ****ing believe my 7-year old cousin started an actual discussion in this thread when I fail to do so 90% of the time.
My biggest problem with Wonder Woman was that
they killed Ludendorff. IRL he actually lived until 1937. He even played a role in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch.
Wait, he's an actual person? Just shows how I know **** about history.
Ludendorff for Rider Class Servant
To be fair a "sympathetic villain" has been done a lot more (if not in other types of movies)
If done right, a sympathetic villain is usually better than a good "all evil" one, gray morality makes the setting more realistic and makes the viewers question the meaning of the conflict.
Not that "For The Evulz" villains can't be good, or even better than sympathetic ones, just look at Kefka for example, it's just that at base, one requires better writing skills than the other and it adds more to a character and a story.
EVERY kind of villain has been done before. Even though I can't thimk of anyone like Dan the Man, I'm certain he's been done before
Nothing is new, everything falls under an existing trope.
What matters is how it's used.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Gurren Lagann
Lordgenome knew about her being the anti-spiral vessel, I think it's said somewhere but I can't remember where

Kittan and Yoko hit ne really hard, she had finally moved on from Kamina and was going to start anew... then the man she loves dies again. Being Yoko is suffering

Nah, Nia is dead for real

And you forgot the best part of the episode when Kamina shows up when they're trapped in the anti-spiral dimension
Viral's illusion was actually quite sad tbh and Simon's was just a heartwarming moment

The movies are like the first two Madoka movies, just the same story as the anime, the difference here being that there are many more changes from the anime and no censors to stop anime tiddies
I haven't watched them but I'd bet they're good, I at least watched its version of the final battle and it's even better than the anime one
RE:Creators
I don't mean just the animation(which was great) but the shots they made: all of Altair's shots are able to tell what is going on with her and there's some clear foreshadowing with her disappearing many times and the action shots at the end just look so good
My favorite part is the 7 shots of the main Creations at the start, it's simple but it tells something about each of them and they're greatly directed:
-Selesia's hospital garb flies away as she looks at the moon, while facing away the camera, showing she has recovered and is ready to do what needs to be done.
-Meteora is shown preparing her magic but the camera is shown from above, representing that no matter how much she has done or knows, she is still just a Creation.
-Alice can only be fully seen through her reflection, she is ashamed of herself due to her actions. Also, in the reflection you can see her holding Mamika's ribbon.
-Yuuya's is obvious, Hangaku's shadow shows that he has lost her and he just stands there, despite him being a hothead which shows that losing Hangaku is more than just losing some power.
-Blitz stands alone in a room and is the one farthest from the screen, considering how loyal he is to Altair, he's likely all-in for her plan and that means he's sort of a Nihilist, especially if we take in consideration the likelihood that his daughter died too, which gives him a reason similar to Altair, and that distances and isolates him from everything else.
-Kanoya is eating atop Gigas Machina, he really doesn't care much about it but sinve he has to do it, he already has it in ready when it's time to go.
-Magane sits really near the screen, blurring herself, while eating carefree and observing what seems to be the stage of the crossover.

Maybe I'm stretching it but just wait until it's over and Geoff tears it to shreds because he was very enthusiatic about this show

Gurren Lagann
- Yeah, but Lordgenome also plays a huge role on explaining those weird Spiral techs and the history between the war of the Spirals and Anti-spirals.
- I also bet TRIGGER got some inspiration from Nia when designing Diana's hair.
Edit:
I mean look at this pic and you will know what I meant.
I was thrilled when I found this on LWA Discord group:

Glad I finished Gurren Lagann I know which scene is that pic is reference to: Where Simon saves and cover Nia since she's naked after she lost the Anti-spiral suit.
- I mean even Anti-spirals design is really chilling, he's even more creepier than slender man, but his mech a bit typical as well. You should know the creator of LWA was the one who design the mechs in Gurren Lagann.
- Nah, that part was kind of a breakthrough for Simon, and the most mindshocking is where Boota turned into a humanoid... that was just unbelievable...
- Another minor thing to rant is how one cliche occurs a lot whenever a characters dies in their mech. They just got hit and sudden big flash of light covers them. Not a bad thing but this appeared quite a lot lol.
- Well, by having some experience looking at my anime fanarts. Yoko is probably the most popular due to her... ya know, a bit questionable outfit but tough attitude. After watching the entire series, Yoko is also a very tragic character when it comes to romance... well, nevertheless Yoko is a kind of female character where fandom won't ship her to anyone...
- I have watched 12 minutes of the first movie, it is literally recap with additional scene on how they prospered and then jump straight to episode 16. And I... don't really know Madoka... curious to know though
- More review on the show is I love how they changed commercial break skit after episode 15 the mid from a cool rock tone to rock tone "Yo, fight the power!". It was just awesome! However, I'm not a big fan with most of Gurren Lagann's ost... they weren't that good for me.
- Also episode titles changed from quote from Kamina's from 1~7 to Nia's quote and style to Rossiu and then Simon himself.
Re:Creators
Hm... nice in depth analysis :)
Also the minor drama between the Creators in the episode is inevitable, but glad they worked out eventually.
Shota want to involved in the project is kind of stupid if you know he isn't good a drawing yet, but his ideas were stupid but also interesting, I really wonder what it could be.
Also found this MODv version of Brave the Ocean, it's pretty good. I might have said this before but, the reason why I watch Re:CREATORS was at first because the composer is Hiroyuki Sawano, my most favorite Japanese composer.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I can't ****ing believe my 7-year old cousin started an actual discussion in this thread when I fail to do so 90% of the time.

Wait, he's an actual person? Just shows how I know **** about history.
Ludendorff for Rider Class Servant

If done right, a sympathetic villain is usually better than a good "all evil" one, gray morality makes the setting more realistic and makes the viewers question the meaning of the conflict.
Not that "For The Evulz" villains can't be good, or even better than sympathetic ones, just look at Kefka for example, it's just that at base, one requires better writing skills than the other and it adds more to a character and a story.

Nothing is new, everything falls under an existing trope.
What matters is how it's used.

The thing about a For the Evulz character is that writers seem to be under the impression that if they lack a motivation, they don't actually need to write a personality for the character that consists of anything beyond a blunt obsession with being evil.

Make them suave, make them funny, make them have opinions on topics that have nothing to do with evil. You'll catch more fans for them than most sympathetic characters.

The thing about a sympathetic character as well is that there are two kinds: one who's CURRENT motivation is sympathetic, and one that has a freudian excuse. The former is usually worth brownie points, but the latter is usually written even worse than a character doing it for the evulz because it's FAKE depth to the point that their sympathy level from the audience after their backstory is established is directly proportionate to how physically attractive they are. Daddy not loving you enough is literally a worse excuse for being a supervillain than not having an excuse at all.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Make them suave, make them funny, make them have opinions on topics that have nothing to do with evil. You'll catch more fans for them than most sympathetic characters.
Vouching for this personally.

It's definitely worked for me.
It also helps that my evil lair is made out of BBQ wings. So, you know. Quirks.

@Space Stranger red has a plan.

Begin tag storm.
Speaking of evil.

If Space brings the wrist laser, I'm blaming you.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So as it stands now....my current wishlist for Switch and 3DS

High Priority (I WANT IT YESTERDAY)
-Metroid Samus Returns
-Metroid Prime 4

Priority (Will get)
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Rocket League
-Pokemon Switch

Low Priority (might get)
-Skyrim
-Splatoon 2
-Sonic Forces
-Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle
-Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon
-Pokken Tournament DX
-Fire Emblem Switch
-Fire Emblem Warriors

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That Castlevania series was pretty good so far. But it was short as hell.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

High Priority (I WANT IT YESTERDAY)
-Metroid Samus Returns
-Metroid Prime 4

Priority (Will get)
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Rocket League
-Pokemon Switch

Low Priority (might get)
-Skyrim
-Splatoon 2
-Sonic Forces
-Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle
-Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon
-Pokken Tournament DX
-Fire Emblem Switch
-Fire Emblem Warriors
I will put my wishlist as well, since I don't have any budget to buy those games for now (Personal note is I have kind of been scoffed by my dad after buying my Switch...)

High Priority:
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- Super Mario Odyssey

Priority:
- Splatoon 2
- Ever Oasis
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Second Priority:
- ARMS
- Ultra Sun & Moon
- Pokken Tournament DX
- Fire Emblem Warriors

Interested but no plans to buy at this point:
- Sonic Forces
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Rocket League
- Skyrim

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Tables, Ladders & Chairs is the only TLC that matters.:068:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought Bombs, ropes and ladders were classic wrestling items?
Tables and Chairs most often. Ropes are part of the regular arena, not separate weapons as often. I never heard of bombs being used. Outside of the name of some moves, anyway.

Some games go overboard with options, like stop signs, etc. I don't know how many were used in the regular Professional Wrestling or were just added for the fun of it. Things like pipes, nightsticks, etc(which are called props in the games sometimes) might just be character accessories that never get used. Of course, these items still hurt when used in real life. Professional Wresting may be fake overall, but it's no less damaging to one's body. They intentional whiff stuff, but it still is painful and hard to take. It's why many retire fairly early on. Usually in their 30's bar accidents that take them out of the game earlier than that.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You're talking about the TV channel?

If so, I avoid that channel like the plague. Almost all their shows feel like something I'd see on Jerry Springer.
Ih I dont watch that stupid channal there is just another "story about parents with kids" ad going on on cartoon network for some reason

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It's been 3 days since the Splatoon 2 Direct and I still can't stop playing the "Pick your Character" song all day.

It's basically crack for me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Last night was crazy. It ended in a hospital because two of the girls we were with think they were roofied.

I'm not sure about that, and they never actually saw the doctor because "It's taking too long" so we'll never know

I think they probably just drank way too much

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Hahahahaha

Someone was ruffled enough that they went out of their way to name themselves #HatePearl in Splatoon.

I guess they didn't listen to the part about "don't get cooked," because I can smell something boiling from here.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I guess I'll join the party.

Getting the game+console bundle so I'm getting it whether I want it or not (would otherwise be "maybe", but it'll get some use anyway so might as well grab the bundle):
- Splatoon 2

Will buy:
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Fire Emblem Switch
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Etrian Odyssey V

Probably buy:
- Lady Layton (I forgot the actual title and can't be bothered to look it up)

Might buy:
- Arms

Not buying unless they sack the character artist, because Pyra's design is over-sexualised and doesn't bode well for things to come:
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Indifferent:
- more or less everything else

...Hm. I have a pretty short list, actually. But most of my time lately has been spent checking out older games, so I have plenty to keep me occupied anyway. I could come up with a much longer list of older games I want to check out eventually.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I wouldn't say the community hates Pearl.

I'd say some are just not fans of her design (at least how I see it)
Her skin color and clothing is just too much white/bright coloring. At least Marina has a nice mix of green, black and dark skin. Pearl has a bit of pink, but not enough to ward off all of the white.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Here's some questions for you alll:
  • Have you ever had/currently have the experience of following a TV show/book/anime/manga/video game series where you only follow it for one specific character because he/she is the only character there you like?
  • Has something bad happened to that character (whether it'd be death, going MIA, falling into comatose, etc.) in that series to the point they haven't appeared at all for the rest/a good chunk of the series? Did that misfortune to the character make you quit the series or no? If you didn't quit the series, how did you cope with that character's misfortune (death, going MIA, falling into comatose, etc.)?
  • What do you think of people quit a series just because a certain character dies, goes MIA, or falls into comatose for a long period of time?
I've seen people on the Internet who talk about how they follow a certain series only for a certain character that they really like, and then quit when something bad happens to that character. I'm curious to see if anyone here is like that, and/or you have met people like the questions describe.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Her skin color and clothing is just too much white/bright coloring. At least Marina has a nice mix if green, black and dark skin. Pearl has a bit of pink, but not enough to ward off all of the white.
I think they are supposed to be like Yin and Yang

Opposites

Light and Dark

invert.png

Edit: If you invert their colors, many of the colors switch

Last edited:

Windstar

Banned via Warnings
Oh crap, a new dude joined the social? I missed him, darn it. Well, might as well make up for lost time.

Welcome to the Social Cafe, @Silver117! We have coffee, soda, beer (21+), lemonade, hot chocolate, and even blood exclusive to paying vampires! Oh yeah, btw, we have free Wi-Fi. Enjoy your stay, at the Social Cafe!

@Zebei, I didn't miss any beverages, did I?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last night was crazy. It ended in a hospital because two of the girls we were with think they were roofied.

I'm not sure about that, and they never actually saw the doctor because "It's taking too long" so we'll never know

I think they probably just drank way too much
"its taking too long" My ass.
Hahahahaha

Someone was ruffled enough that they went out of their way to name themselves #HatePearl in Splatoon.

I guess they didn't listen to the part about "don't get cooked," because I can smell something boiling from here.
I dont hate pearl... i just hate how she looks

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Not buying unless they sack the character artist, because Pyra's design is over-sexualised and doesn't bode well for things to come:
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
I know that is your opinion but... it's literally impossible. Censoring Pyra's outfit could be possible though, but even that is a bit unlikely.

Sorry but my reaction on that is:

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I know that is your opinion but... it's literally impossible. Censoring Pyra's outfit could be possible though, but even that is a bit unlikely.

Sorry but my reaction on that is:
Well, that and the Xenoblade Chronicles series has always had embarrassingly lewd outfits. This is the first time it's been the primary outfit instead of about every other alternate armor you pick up, but the series isn't exactly sinking to new lows here.

It's more than OK to not like looking at someone's underpants showing over their hotpants, but that isn't exactly a reason to decide to buy or not buy these games compared to the previous ones because Xenoblade has ALWAYS been overly sexualized. This isn't a sign to come of diddly squat.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pyra isn't that bad honestly.

I'm more interested in how she's written.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh yeah, two things I'm impressd with about Homecoming. MCU's never been that close to saying the F word, not even the Netflix shows iirc, those being some of Peter's schoolmates talking about what they'd do to the Avengers and the other one being
Aunt May accidentally seeing Peter suit up as Spidey at the very end of the movie
The other thing being that Homecoming might have actually connected the Netflix shows to the movies!
Spoilers for Homecoming and Luke Cage
Vulture and his goons made money by selling weapons made of Chitauri tech or Ultron's arms and stuff, in Luke Cage, the Judas bullets where made with Chitauri metals
The Punisher actually drops the F-bomb in Daredevil Season 2. While he's talking to Daredevil on the rooftop. Apparently that was Jon's fault. He got so into the character that he felt like it needed to be dropped at that point and they just kept it in.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, that and the Xenoblade Chronicles series has always had embarrassingly lewd outfits. This is the first time it's been the primary outfit instead of about every other alternate armor you pick up, but the series isn't exactly sinking to new lows here.

It's more than OK to not like looking at someone's underpants showing over their hotpants, but that isn't exactly a reason to decide to buy or not buy these games compared to the previous ones because Xenoblade has ALWAYS been overly sexualized. This isn't a sign to come of diddly squat.
Also with it unlikely to change blade's outfit, I can understand to some extent.
But again I respect everyone's reason for buy or not-buying a game, even for reasons like "Having over-sexualised clothing", I am also completely fine for those who doesn't like the artist Saitou since he does draw hentai fanarts. I mean I have already heard some individuals who don't like the anime style but still excited for the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The Punisher actually drops the F-bomb in Daredevil Season 2. While he's talking to Daredevil on the rooftop. Apparently that was Jon's fault. He go so into the character that he felt like it needed to be dropped at that point and they just keep it in.
The fact it was accident proves my point really. I also forgot Punisher was getting a show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom