• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Ridley in Samus Returns?

Well that's some kind of turn of events....It would also explain how he and the Space Pirates attacked Ceres Station so quickly after Samus departed because they might have been following her...

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Why is my phone telling me this site isn't safe?

EDIT: For real this is the first time I've ever seen this. The hell?

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
How often do days like these come around? Because I've never seen this on any site before.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Remember when I said I was debating whether or not I'd do a review of Attack on Titan Season 2?

Well, I can now post my overall thoughts after thinking about it.

Story: The plot continues from Season 1 left off, showing the aftermath of Eren's second battle with the Female Titan and exploring the Wall Titan mystery that the season 1 finale introduced. Then, there's news that Wall Rose has been breached by Titans. As the military travels to warn soldiers and locate the hole, mayhem ensues when the Titans arrive. This is also where we are introduced to the Beast Titan, a mysterious, strong, and intelligent Titan that can talk and seems to have degree of command over other Titans. The Beast Titan is only around for a few scenes after it makes its debut in episode 1, but its presence alone is enough to heighten the sense of mystery and that feeling of "you do not want to mess with this guy." In the second half of the season, more antagonists are introduced, and what follows is some intense events that heighten the drama and the mystery.

The flashbacks this season can be hit or miss. Most of them did a good job establishing several characters' backstories and motivations. Characters like Ymir and Sasha definitely benefitted from them IMO. On the other hand, some of these flashbacks drag on for a little too long, which damages the pacing at some parts.

Speaking about pacing, there are times where it was still an issue. Episodes 3 and 8 definitely come to mind in that regard, as both episodes felt more like a slog compared to other episodes (namely that in episodes 3 and 8, the only parts that truly felt engaging to me were the beginning and ending scenes). Other than that, I thought the majority of the episodes were well-paced enough so that I didn't feel bored. Then again, I'm one of those people that understands Attack on Titan will be a longer-running series that definitely won't end at 50 episodes, so I have come to accept what will come from a show that is adapting what will be 100+ chapters.

As for everything else, Attack on Titan Season 2 follows the same story that Season 1 introduced. It still has that sense of a post-apocalyptic drama, and the Titans still have their horrifying charm. The deaths are still graphic. In fact, the first half of the season had some gut-wrenching deaths, especially the one in the first episode. There is also some shocking, big twists. One of these plot twists was shown in a very unique way that no other anime or movie I've seen has done before, and that made it very memorable as a result. Action is still a defining part of the plot, but there isn't as much of it as the first Season had. Yet, as the next part will discuss, this had a payoff.

Characters: One of the biggest criticisms I noticed regarding AoT is the characters, and I can see why. Back in Season 1, there was so much action going on that there wasn't much time left to develop the other characters. As a result, most of the characters felt one note and thus harder to get attached to. Even I will admit there weren't that many characters that I could truly care for back in season 1 except for a few.

Season 2, however, fixes this issue. Compared to the first season, Season 2 has less action so that it takes the time to give several characters that development they needed, making them feel more fleshed out than they previously did. The side characters are the ones that especially benefit from this. You liked Potato Girl Sasha back in Season 1? Then you will love the second episode of Season 2, because most of the episode gives her that backstory and character development she really needed. Other side-characters that receive more focus and development this season are Ymir, Reiner, Bertolt, Connie, and Krista (to some extent, as I would argue she really develops and gets fleshed out in the next arc). Because of the focus these characters get, you are more likely to be attached to them by the end of the season.

By focusing on the side characters, this also means our main protagonists, the EMA trio, get less screen time in the first half, to the point they take a backseat until Episode 6. Eren, Mikasa, and Armin are largely the same from what they were in Season 1, so what your opinions of the three were in the first season will likely carry over to Season 2. Are you one of those people who likes Mikasa because she's badass, or are you one of those people who dislikes Mikasa because she revolves around Eren, doesn't have much development, and is just unnaturally OP? Either side you are on within the Mikasa debate, you will likely stay on that side because she's basically the same from who she was in the first season. I'm in the camp that doesn't care for Mikasa. There are moments when I root for her when she battles, but there are also moments where I wish she had that extra "ooomph" in character development. I will say though, there is one moment this season where I felt attached to her, but I won't spoil what it is.

Armin is still the calculated strategist that he was in Season 1. Unlike Season 1, there aren't any moments where he wimps out, but there is a later moment in the season that was pretty good for his character in my eyes, and I would argue that does develop him a bit. Like with Mikasa, what your opinion of Armin was from Season 1 will carry into Season 2's end. Personally, I did like him back in Season 1 (I'm a sucker for the underdog-type of characters like him), and I still like him now.

Eren is in a similar boat to Armin. He's still the same as he was in Season 1, but he does have moments of character development. During the main battle of the season, he thinks strategically during the fight rather than letting rage purely dictate his moves, the latter being very common in his first season battles. At the end of Season 2, he also develops in regards to his relationship with a certain character (without spoiling too much, this development is related to a flashback we see in the first episode of the second season). Am I saying Eren finally becomes a truly likable protagonist this season? No. Though he is mostly unchanged, he does have small sprinkles of development here and there that I appreciated. I can confirm Season 3 will do major justice in regards to his character, to the point your opinion of him will probably change for the better (I know it did for me, to the point he is one of my favorite characters now).

Animation: It is as awesome as the first season was. WIT Studio delivers with some intense actions scenes, especially in the battles. Even the CG Colossal Titan turned out to be better than I expected. To me, it didn't look too out of place with the background. I'd say it's one of the few times I've seen in TV shows and movies where CG is used correctly. There is only one moment where the animation looked jarring and that was with some 3DMG shenanigans in episode 10. Besides that, all the scenes are well-animated.

Soundtrack: Stellar just like Season 1. Hiroyuki Sawano proves he's a great music director yet again, with music that fits the mood of each scene. The opening intro isn't as good as the first two IMO, but it did grow on me after a while to the point I really like it now.

Overall thoughts:

Attack on Titan Season 2 was a fun ride. The character issue from Season 1 is fixed by placing more focus on the side characters this season. This allowed me to feel more attached to those characters than I previously had. The story remains the action-packed horror & mystery drama that many remember it for, so depending on what you look for in a plot, whether you like or dislike the story comes down to those preferences. To me, the story was what drew to me the series in the first place: there is something about that Titan mystery that allures me, and I want to see how these answers will unfold. The action and the music are still really good. The combination of these two created some heart-pounding moments.

As a manga-reader, I already knew what was coming, but this was an arc I was looking forward to seeing animated, and I think the anime adapted that manga arc really well. In fact, the anime helped improve some of the scenes by showing more of what was going on in certain moments. The only parts that I think the anime could've done a better job adapting were the first two episodes, where there were a few lines removals that, in the manga, helped develop some of the characters. Other than that, I thought this was a fantastic adaptation. Seeing the same scenes I read four years ago but now fully animated with a good soundtrack and stellar voice acting brought back those same emotions I experienced back then. I had my heart pound pretty hard, I had feels inside me, I was rooting for certain characters, you name it.

The second season of Attack on Titan ultimately ends on a pretty good cliffhanger that delivers hype for the next season. It's clear the series is far from over, but Season 2 still brought new mysteries, plot twists, and reveals that reminded me of what drew me to the series in the first place. I look forward to seeing Season 3 next year and the arcs that will be animated, because I know next season is when things get even more interesting and exciting for me, especially in that second arc following the one Season 2 covered.

Well, that was fun writing a review. It's been a while since I last wrote a full, overall review of a series/season.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I've been thinking of maybe playing Path of Radiance soon, but at the moment I'm still working on completing Tales of Xillia, so I think I might wait a bit longer.

Path of Radiance presents the problem of price, but I'm still kinda interested.

Chrono.

NEW DIRECT BOYS
Dragon Quest XI Direct that is. Japanese exclusive.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
How often do days like these come around? Because I've never seen this on any site before.
I'm honestly not super familiar with the details of acquiring new SSL certificates or setting them up. A quick google search suggests they last between 90 days to 3 years.

They do expire though, and this kind of extra-cautious browser stuff is supposed to happen with expired certs afterwards.

I presume how you renew them depends mostly on your vendor. Dunno who SB goes through. Could even be shopping around or something.

Makes it a pain to interact with the site without some workarounds, but I don't expect it'll take all that long to sort out once Warchamp gets on the case.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I think its funny how I've been here for almost six years and my phone is only now telling me I shouldn't come here.

Nice observation, you piece of ****. Now stop judging me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh yeah, for those who might be interested, I made an updated Chrom moveset over in the Chrom thread. Check it out! The thread could always use more traffic anyway.

D

Deleted member

"Hey, Tobin, your Spd is really ****ty and you have literally gotten only two procs in it since base, could you maybe level it up a bit?"
"I got you fam"

>Recruits Mathilda
>Gets ambushed by Paladin at Desaix's Fortress
>Paladin attacks Mathilda
>Mathilda crits twice in the same round
Second best Cav, everyone!

>Levels up afte horseslaughter
>+1 Spd only
There are two kinds of people...

Oh hey, I can post and stuff now, neat
Whatever is going on with the site?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
You can set up SSL certs to auto-renew (and they're available for free, too, through services like Let's Encrypt), so this shouldn't even be a problem in the first place, really. At least, that's how it works on all of my sites, which all run through Cloudflare, same as here. Usually you'd set up either some sort of script to automatically renew them as they expire, or just have them handled via Cloudflare if you want to use that.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13228002

Here's a little poll I made about marriage.

Real curious about the results and may use them for something later.

Go get 'em folks.
I'm the odd one out, as usual. Not too surprised. I appreciate the breadth of options, I guess?

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
You can set up SSL certs to auto-renew, so this shouldn't even be a problem in the first place, really. At least, that's how it works on all of my sites, which all run through Cloudflare, same as here.
The certs can also go for a long time, and SB's only been using Cloudflare for...a year or two, I suppose? Don't recall when they fired that up, think it was after a DDoS.

Could be that whatever service they used pre-Cloudflare gave them a cert that lasted for an extended period of time, but that either didn't offer an auto-renew option or SB didn't take advantage of the one they had (maybe it's paid?). If it was initially set up for long enough, this is the first we'd hear about it.

Not much reason to not use Cloudflare's certs now, but, y'know. Times and changing and such.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The sooner the website is secure, the better. But not much to do but wait. Got me annoyed last night, till I remembered you could enter it while it's not secure.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
For those still having post/like/access problems:

New cert is up.

Bad advice is gone.

All hail @Warchamp7.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I had to find an actual hobby for a few hours so see y'all in therapy (and my next piano concert, art gallery and book launch, found put I'm pretty creative in more things than ****posting) (not really)

Yay SB is back.

Thanks Warchamp.

So if Ridley is in Samus Returns, a game that was already set for my GOTY just became my GOT Century
been waiting to say that for hours

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Im still trying to think if I wanna get ARMS or not
If you adored the testpunch, have fond memories of Wii Sports Boxing/Punch Out, or somehow missed all of the above but enjoy boxing-style games, go for it.

If you don't know for sure, find someone who bought it and try it out.

Either way, unless you're super stoked for the gameplay, probably wait till it goes on sale.

Side note, Ninty really needs to release an ARMS demo somehow.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Goddamn y'all. I did NOT expect Ridley's possible inclusion to get that much likes,

Also, I now have 4 volumes of the MHA manga! Holy **** this is SO much better. Pacing's a lot quicker, character bios so we learn more about the cast and beautiful panels!

D

Deleted member

Ridley in Samus Returns? Where did that come from?

Anyways, I think that'd make his only canonical absence be in Prime 2.
It'd also mean the game would have more than two bosses, neat!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ridley in Samus Returns? Where did that come from?

Anyways, I think that'd make his only canonical absence be in Prime 2.
It'd also mean the game would have more than two bosses, neat!

Look at your twitter you dummy.
Also, Prime 2 was apparently 70% rushed, and concept art and data mining show Ridley was at least planned for Prime 2 lol

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Smashboards is back, thankfully.

How is everyone? Is everyone ok?
Well that made me stayed out from Smashboards for a while ...
Glad it's back, I will be posting more stuff soon.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Smashboard is back! Long live Smashboard and @Warchamp7 !

Seriously tough, it was really weird to not be able to come here for almost a full day. I am glad it's back now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom