• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm a game design student (technically ex-student at the moment, but it's not like I've given up the craft). I can just tell certain things about games without actually playing them. I perfectly understand if you think that's bull, but it's just the way it is, and my "intuition" is usually right. It helps me decide purchases.

That, and in the case of Paper Jam, it really isn't a very complex game. The average consumer isn't going to have trouble sussing it out.

I agree that journalists skew things a lot, but I simply looked at raw gameplay.
I'm really sorry but I'm going to have to discard this in my mind. Movie critics don't skip films because they "just know", they can have personal reasons if they want but like....wow.

You could still stand to sound less patronizing. Does what I say mean less because I'm not a design student? Whatever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

is

is this suppose to be making fun of what I think it is

....why.

I am using every fiber of my being to keep myself under control with that ludicrous statement.
I couldn't help but be reminded of this from Super Paper Mario:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm really sorry but I'm going to have to discard this in my mind. Movie critics don't skip films because they "just know", they can have personal reasons if they want but like....wow.

You could still stand to sound less patronizing.
You completely misunderstand me.

It's like how a Melee player can decide at an instant if they will like Smash 4. If Melee is specifically their taste, they can immediately tell Smash 4 is not the same because they have played and studied Melee for years, and can tell Smash 4 is not Melee based on that.

I'm sorry if having a good understanding of my craft and using this knowledge to decide where my limited money goes is patronising to you, but if that's patronising to you, then just take it that I am more than happy to be patronising then, and enjoy doing so.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent

It's like how a Melee player can decide at an instant if they will like Smash 4. If Melee is specifically their taste, they can immediately tell Smash 4 is not the same because they have played and studied Melee for years.

I'm sorry if having a good understanding of my craft and using this knowledge to decide where my limited money goes is patronising to you, but if that's patronising to you, then just take it that I am more than happy to be patronising then, and enjoy doing so.
You're still doing it dude lol. It's in your tone and how you typed that **** up, dude. I just think it sounded pretentious and like a really poor attempt at discarding what I said because I'm not a "game design student." I mean, good for you and all but I don't really see how that's relevant to the statement of people not playing games enough before they talk about them. By all means, though. Maybe I'm just not invested enough in this. It's inherently why I dislike "Let's Plays" of like, day old games and don't really see the target demographic or understand it (game's brand new, why wouldn't ya want to explore it yourself?). It's probably a part of how I grew up with video games and ****, dunno.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
... I'm absolutely lost here. But, I do have to say, Star Rush looks better than expected. It's the shake up the series needed, though I'm going to hold judgement on just how well the changes are. Istilldon'tknowwhyBowsercan'tbeplayablethough.

:094:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You're still doing it dude lol. It's in your tone and how you typed that **** up, dude. I just think it sounded pretentious and like a really poor attempt at discarding what I said because I'm not a "game design student." I mean, good for you and all but I don't really see how that's relevant to the statement of people not playing games enough before they talk about them. By all means, though. Maybe I'm just not invested enough in this.
I'm not discarding what you said at all. You are in a different position than me and have different ways of deciding your games. I just told you mine and you decided to call it "patronising". It's you that's discarding things.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

It's like how a Melee player can decide at an instant if they will like Smash 4. If Melee is specifically their taste, they can immediately tell Smash 4 is not the same because they have played and studied Melee for years, and can tell Smash 4 is not Melee based on that.

This post may be the most pretentious thing I've seen all day.

Normally I butt-out of things like this, but I just couldn't help it.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
No, seriously how do I fix my images to not go into errors when I post them?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This post may be the most pretentious thing I've seen all day.

Normally I butt-out of things like this, but I just couldn't help it.
If what I said is pretentious, then every single non-financially rich person here is pretentious.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I just told you mine and you decided to call it "patronising".
I mean, I don't lie to people because I think it'd be disingenuous. It's just how I read it and how it looked to me! I took risks when it came to buying things that I thought I wouldn't like and I enjoyed the **** out of em! It's why I was a little miffed at Crash at E3 (I'm over it now and looking forward to remakes) but, whatevs.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I couldn't help but be reminded of this from Super Paper Mario:

I have played Color Splash.

It's called Sticker Star.

Also that argument is flawed beyond reason.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I mean, I don't lie to people because I think it'd be disingenuous. It's just how I read it and how it looked to me!
But simply resorting to that without considering that I am a legitmately different person with a different situation and views, is more discarding than anything I could have said.

You literally told me I should "just buy the game and play it". Maybe you're loaded with cash and can buy every single game on the market on release to have a valid opinion on it as that's the only way to have one, in your opinion. But I don't think that way. And have things that are more important to me right now then a subpar Mario RPG game.

Either accept that, or at least tolerate it and leave me alone about it. I just gave some (very common) constructive criticisms on the game and it devolves into this. Only at Nintenzone.

No, having a "professional" attitude when you simply chose to be a (ex)student is pretentious.
What I said had nothing to do with professionalism.

I have experienced something extensively so naturally I use that experience to decide my purchases. Like everybody else. You two are the only ones pretending I'm saying more than I am.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I believe a better word would be "classy."
Stay classy, friends.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I walked away for an hour cuz I had to do some chores (and make food using random stuff I found while shield surfing), did I miss anything?

New stuff in Zelda? More games shown off? Surprise Metroid reveal?

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
But simply resorting to that without considering that I am a legitmately different person with a different situation and views, is more discarding than anything I could have said.

You literally told me I should "just buy the game and play it". Maybe you're loaded with cash and can buy every single game on the market on release to have a valid opinion on it as that's the only way to have one, in your opinion. But I don't think that way. And have things that are more important to me right now then a subpar Mario RPG game.

Either accept that, or at least tolerate it and leave me alone about it.
Whatever dude. I'll tolerate it but I won't stop thinking it's mostly baseless when it comes to gameplay (more specifically in this example, because it plays like, literally M&L.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not many games start out with a close friend giving you a letter that contains A DEAD BODY.

And they say Nintendo is for kids only.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Colour Splash doesn't even look that bad.

The only thing that annoys me is no EXP battles. What is the point of battling then? I'll just keep running away.

They should have certain cards unusable at lower levels.

And get rid of the gimmick cards.

Basically have it like a normal RPG where you have to 'buy/find' your moves.

D

Deleted member

Not many games start out with a close friend giving you a letter that contains A DEAD BODY.

And they say Nintendo is for kids only.
I think it's less of other games not being dark enough and more because of the fact not many universes have the physics to allow such thing

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Missed the color splash stream.
What kind of damage control did they attempt?

Chrono.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Yeah uhh, that's not good.

Constant patches are one of MKX's problems and you're gonna make them even MORE frequent?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Missed the color splash stream.
What kind of damage control did they attempt?
Only one that stuck out to me as obvious try hard was "THIS PAPER MARIO GAME HAS THE MOST INTERESTING SCENARIOS OF ANY PAPER MARIO".

Other than that it was mostly just standard Tree House doing their job and trying to sell the game, but failing because the game is just hard to sell.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Most-talked-about-games-on-social-media-SUN-TUES-E3-1-771x1024.png

Very interesting.

BotW is off to a great future.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well.... With Nintendo being done with E3 now, I suppose it's time to move on to something else. The only question is what that should be?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
IGN literally goes full Legolas...lol
around 3:50ish...
you can already tell I'll be doing this a lot when I get the game...

they also showcase the firerod here...

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
According to Ash Paulsen, the reason Paper Mario has moved from RPG elements is because they view Mario and Luigi as the Mario RPG series.
Oh my.
I hear the angry Paper Mario fans coming again.

Nintendo has a point though. The thing that I'm angry about is why they don't just go with Super Paper Mario's formula. That was pretty well received.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Only one that stuck out to me as obvious try hard was "THIS PAPER MARIO GAME HAS THE MOST INTERESTING SCENARIOS OF ANY PAPER MARIO".

Other than that it was mostly just standard Tree House doing their job and trying to sell the game, but failing because the game is just hard to sell.
Hah. What a f***** bald-faced lie. They give any examples of scenarios that surpass TTYD or SPM?
I got the impression somewhere that they made some kind of half-assed attempt to appeal to people who wanted partners. Can you tell me about that?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
According to Aaron Webber (interview was Fire & Ice focused):

-Exploration is COMPLETELY optional. There will be tons of collectibles and hidden areas but you can play through most of the game with just Sonic if you want. One of the things the delay was for was that they really wanted to make sure collecting things has a point to it, and that there are cool rewards for doing so.
-The game is going to be "massive for a 3DS game".
-The fire and ice mechanic was intentionally designed to be simple so it wouldn't be too overbearing and interrupt the flow of the game. It's more designed for little quick time puzzles it sounds like, such as freezing a platform to save yourself and stuff.
-If you like the Sonic Boom TV show, you will really like the Fire & Ice cutscenes as "I think I would say they are even better than stuff in the TV show".

Those were the four main take-aways for me. I'm really interested in this game, it's really shaping up and I have way more confidence in it that I ever did the previous games.

Hah. What a f***** bald-faced lie. They give any examples of scenarios that surpass TTYD or SPM?
I got the impression somewhere that they made some kind of half-***** attempt to appeal to people who wanted partners. Can you tell me about that?
They have a mechanic where you can get enemy characters to fight for you temporarily. That's sort of the replacement for the partner mechanic. Instead of party member characters, you have summons/Pokémon (not literal Pokémon but it's essentially a similar deal).

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
EDIT: Since I didn't seem to convey this properly, let me clarify: this is not directed at anyone. This is meant to talk about the particular argument of "Don't judge something until you play it" shtick. The post from before, and people using that image for different reasons, just reminded me of it.

Okay, can I go on a rant for a sec? Because I'm getting very sick of seeing this keep getting used:

By people who have NO idea who they're talking about.

You guys seem to forget the CONTEXT of that joke. That was the devs having a bit of fun with people who were complaining about SPM's massive genre shift. It wasnt a joke without merit... it was something different, yes, and people needed to stop judging it before they tried it. Whether or not said genre shift worked is debateable, but the point was for people not to judge the game for being DIFFERENT.

In fact, if you wanted to use this joke going from SPM to Sticker Star, sure. It was only fair to give it a chance to prove itself before passing judgement.

Color Splash, though, is NOT a genre shift. It isn't a new style of gameplay. Whether you like Sticker Star or not, it IS Sticker Star 2, as it is building upon many if not all of the foundations SS made. Therefore, being built from the same blueprints as SS, it is not above criticism just because the game isn't out yet. Because I have played Sticker Star, I did not LIKE Sticker Star, and this is using the same foundation as that game. It doesn't matter if their may or may not be improvements to said formula present, because there was NOTHING I liked about the formula to begin with. Polish a turd, and you get a shiny turd. Still a turd.

So kindly cut the **** with the "don't knock it till you try it" garble please, and think of an actual solid argument instead of something so tired.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
According to Aaron Webber (interview was Fire & Ice focused):

-Exploration is COMPLETELY optional. There will be tons of collectibles and hidden areas but you can play through most of the game with just Sonic if you want. One of the things the delay was for was that they really wanted to make sure collecting things has a point to it, and that there are cool rewards for doing so.
-The game is going to be "massive for a 3DS game".
-The fire and ice mechanic was intentionally designed to be simple so it wouldn't be too overbearing and interrupt the flow of the game. It's more designed for little quick time puzzles it sounds like, such as freezing a platform to save yourself and stuff.
-If you like the Sonic Boom TV show, you will really like the Fire & Ice cutscenes as "I think I would say they are even better than stuff in the TV show".

Those were the four main take-aways for me. I'm really interested in this game, it's really shaping up and I have way more confidence in it that I ever did the previous games.
I have to admit, the more I hear about this game, the more optimistic I get.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Rising up from the dead after 6 months of inactivity to say that Rhythm Heaven Megamix is an amazing game and you should all go buy it. Easily my highlight of E3.

JUST LOOK AT THESE LITTLE BUNDLES OF PURITY
AND THEY AREN'T IN SMASH
SAKURAAAAAAAAAIII

Also hi to any new members of the NintenZone that may not recognize me. Not that it really matters. Not really a proactive member in discussions here but sometimes I make some fun things. :upsidedown:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So anyway, bought Minish Cap and Wind Waker HD, after finishing Metroid Prime Hunters I'll be set for a while on the Wii U...

As for the 3DS, I've finished playthroughs of all Metroid games on there, even finished yet another playthrough of Super Metroid (still can't find 100% of items though)...but there's a game I've been putting off for a while, I think now's a good a time as any...
Now it's :4shulk:time!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, can I go on a rant for a sec? Because I'm getting very sick of seeing this keep getting used:

By people who have NO idea who they're talking about.

You guys seem to forget the CONTEXT of that joke. That was the devs having a bit of fun with people who were complaining about SPM's massive genre shift. It wasnt a joke without merit... it was something different, yes, and people needed to stop judging it before they tried it. Whether or not said genre shift worked is debateable, but the point was for people not to judge the game for being DIFFERENT.

In fact, if you wanted to use this joke going from SPM to Sticker Star, sure. It was only fair to give it a chance to prove itself before passing judgement.

Color Splash, though, is NOT a genre shift. It isn't a new style of gameplay. Whether you like Sticker Star or not, it IS Sticker Star 2, as it is building upon many if not all of the foundations SS made. Therefore, being built from the same blueprints as SS, it is not above criticism just because the game isn't out yet. Because I have played Sticker Star, I did not LIKE Sticker Star, and this is using the same foundation as that game. It doesn't matter if their may or may not be improvements to said formula present, because there was NOTHING I liked about the formula to begin with. Polish a turd, and you get a shiny turd. Still a turd.

So kindly cut the **** with the "don't knock it till you try it" crap please, and think of an actual solid argument instead of something so tired.
Dude.

He meant the in game joke.

Not you.

You're getting defensive over nothing and you're only embarrassing yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom