• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Wait wait wait...what other RPGs do the multiple versions/version exclusives thing? Besides maybe one Mega Man game that I could be imagining anyway since I don't know much about the non-classic series, that's ALWAYS been Pokémon's thing.
For RPGs in general, there is Fire Emblem, Robopon, Inazuma Eleven, Digimon. There's plenty of game franchises that do that, and I consider it a basic element for monster collecting games, it's not something specifically unique to Pokemon.

I don't think Yo-Kai Watch was the first game to make a connected toy... in Japan, IIRC, that's fairly popular.
I didn't say it was the first, but the Z-Ring being a toy merch you wear on your wrist to summon feels like a idea they directly added after the success of the YW watch toy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Last edited:

Chrono.

I don't think Yo-Kai Watch was the first game to make a connected toy... in Japan, IIRC, that's fairly popular.
Megaman Battle Network did something similar starting from the 4th game, having an add-on for the GBA that let you use IRL Battlechips for the actual game.

Here's the one that connects to the 6th game.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Alright, I am here again, this will mostly be focusing on why I formulated the opinion I have for Pokemon S/M.
Yes I am.

I mean, to be fair, depending on your outlook, trading and version exclusives are arguably basic elements for the monster collecting genre. And I don't have a problem YW taking those basic ideas.

What I do have a problem with is that Pokemon seems to be adding a few specific things and changing its pace with the anime that makes it closer to YW's structure:

-Adding a ghostly side-kick who helps you gather data for monsters, having a similar premise to Whisper.

-Suddenly changing the pace of the Pokemon anime to hit closer to a slice-of-life school anime similar to YW and putting Ash back to school. (Which is theorized according the CoroCoro leak)

-Directly making Z-Rings a watch toy like the Yo-kai Watch watch toy to summon powerful attacks, in addition to trainers dancing being part of a phase, somewhat like when Yo-kai dance with their specific tribe song to get summoned.

I can understand Pokemon wanting to change after seeing YW2 dominated ORAS in sales in Japan, but as someone who bears knowledge of both franchises, you can't help but feel suspicious and think that Game Freak took direct specific ideas from Yo-kai Watch to implement in their franchise. Some of the additions/changes do not feel really necessary and feel added for the sake of being competitive to other monster collecting games.

That's where I base my opinion from. And I feel the need to share this long opinion because it personally concerns me to where the Pokemon franchise will go to in the future, with a path of being similar or having its own identity again in the next generation.

Is it a bad idea to take some general ideas to help improve your franchise? No. But when you transition and take very specific cues that made YW great into the games/anime to make Pokemon better, I can't help but feel personally upset at Game Freak.
Wait, hold on. People seriously left the Pokémon fandom because Yokai Watch exists.? I mean, I love me some Yokai Watch too, but that's just ridiculous. Even if you consider one better than the other, why the heck would you straight up leave that fandom of the content is still good? I don't get it.

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
So, Pareira's latest tweet is trying to garner sympathy because some gamers threatened him if there's no reveal tomorrow. I don't condone threats of violence, but he should have known better than to troll about one of gaming's current hot topics. Long story short; don't make up lies then pout when people buy into them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For RPGs in general, there is Fire Emblem, Robopon, Inazuma Eleven, Digimon. There's plenty of game franchises that do that, and I consider it a basic element for monster collecting games, it's not something specifically unique to Pokemon.

I didn't say it was the first, but the Z-Ring being a toy merch you wear on your wrist to summon feels like a idea they directly added after the success of the YW watch toy.
I kind of feel, personally, like they are copying Super Sentai/ Kamen Rider

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
LOL, I wanted to get the Figuarts of Kamen Rider Durian
I don't blame you. Solid design and easily the best camp gay character out there

Want to know why it's such a common element? Because one of the most successful franchises in thr world did it 20 years ago. And Fire Emblem only did that with the newest games, so idk if it should count

Yugioh had those card things on your arms and pokemon's done stuff like this before with pokeballs and such
YW2 was released in July I believe, so that would make 6 months x 500,000 copies to hit 3 million copies.
I think Fal meant that although YW2 had more sales, that's because of the 5 months it got released before ORAS. I also heard YW3 sales weren't that good and interest was declining. Can you confirm that?
So, Pareira's latest tweet is trying to garner sympathy because some gamers threatened him if there's no reveal tomorrow. I don't condone threats of violence, but he should have known better than to troll about one of gaming's current hot topics. Long story short; don't make up lies then pout when people buy into them.
Please. People gave death threats to journalists for reporting on the delays of FFXV and NMS. It doesn't matter if he should have known better, death threats are completely unwarranted

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Because characters doing ridiculous poses and dances for powerful moves totally isn't done to death in Japanese media.

Also, hi. Been a while. How are you all doing?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Today I learned about several monster collecting games I hadn't heard of before. :laugh:

And ah, it was the Battle Network series. I should get more up to speed on non-classic Mega Man.
PLAY IT

PLAY IT NAO

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Please. People gave death threats to journalists for reporting on the delays of FFXV and NMS. It doesn't matter if he should have known better, death threats are completely unwarranted
Oh, please don't misunderstand me; I wish the Internet at large would stop threatening violence over the smallest offense. I wouldn't dream of supporting such barbaric actions. All I'm trying to say is Pareira shouldn't act shocked that his "joke" set people off.

D

Deleted member

I don't think they mean "yeah, death threats are totally warranted", I believe that they mean is that a lot of people are overessensitive on the subject and he should've at least braced himself for it. It doesn't help that it was of a "haha" joke and more of a condescending "you guys are foolable idiots" type joke.

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they mean "yeah, death threats are totally warranted", I believe that they mean is that a lot of people are overessensitive on the subject and he should've at least braced himself for it. It doesn't help that it was of a "haha" joke and more of a condescending "you guys are foolable idiots" type joke.
Thank you, this is essentially what I intended. I'm somewhat bad at how I word things.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
I don't blame you. Solid design and easily the best camp gay character out there

Want to know why it's such a common element? Because one of the most successful franchises in thr world did it 20 years ago. And Fire Emblem only did that with the newest games, so idk if it should count

Yugioh had those card things on your arms and pokemon's done stuff like this before with pokeballs and such

I think Fal meant that although YW2 had more sales, that's because of the 5 months it got released before ORAS. I also heard YW3 sales weren't that good and interest was declining. Can you confirm that?

Yokai Watch 3 did around half of YW2's first week I think. It still did stupid well in comparison with a lot of Japanese console titles right now, but it sure isn't growing.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Alright, I am here again, this will mostly be focusing on why I formulated the opinion I have for Pokemon S/M.
Yes I am.

I mean, to be fair, depending on your outlook, trading and version exclusives are arguably basic elements for the monster collecting genre. And I don't have a problem YW taking those basic ideas.

What I do have a problem with is that Pokemon seems to be adding a few specific things and changing its pace with the anime that makes it closer to YW's structure:

-Adding a ghostly side-kick who helps you gather data for monsters, having a similar premise to Whisper.

-Suddenly changing the pace of the Pokemon anime to hit closer to a slice-of-life school anime similar to YW and putting Ash back to school. (Which is theorized according the CoroCoro leak)

-Directly making Z-Rings a watch toy like the Yo-kai Watch watch toy to summon powerful attacks, in addition to trainers dancing being part of a phase, somewhat like when Yo-kai dance with their specific tribe song to get summoned.

I can understand Pokemon wanting to change after seeing YW2 dominated ORAS in sales in Japan, but as someone who bears knowledge of both franchises, you can't help but feel suspicious and think that Game Freak took direct specific ideas from Yo-kai Watch to implement in their franchise. Some of the additions/changes do not feel really necessary and feel added for the sake of being competitive to other monster collecting games.

That's where I base my opinion from. And I feel the need to share this long opinion because it personally concerns me to where the Pokemon franchise will go to in the future, with a path of being similar or having its own identity again in the next generation.

Is it a bad idea to take some general ideas to help improve your franchise? No. But when you transition and take very specific cues that made YW great into the games/anime to make Pokemon better, I can't help but feel personally upset at Game Freak.
I don't even know if it's what made Yo-Kai Watch GOOD. I don't think it's qualities can be summed up by those parts.

I think they're missing the point of what made Yo-Kai Watch successful and just going through the motions because they think that will get kids to come back. But at this point kids are already going to see Pokemon as "old news" and simply taking what another series is doing won't win them back at all.

On the bright side, the Rotomdex and anime shift both seem like things very easily replaced and the Z-Ring isn't THAT different from the Mega Ring that was presumably designed prior to Yo-Kai Watch sweeping everything, so it shouldn't be that hard for them to sweep things under the rug when the ploy doesn't work.

The problem for Pokemon is that what Yo-Kai Watch does to win over the crowd isn't as easy to distill as the sum of it's parts.

Heck, there are details I keep thinking of from Yo-Kai Watch that might be "part of it," and other than people simply hating Pokemon for various reasons and wanting an escape all of them seem to crop up in Sun and Moon, just not so blatantly because they're more subtle design methods. Cultural connection to the area the game takes place in with the monster designs, which Pokemon doesn't normally give a crud about but now does with Sun and Moon and Yo-Kai Watch always has. More pedestrian applications of the monsters, which has always existed in both but moreso in Yo-Kai and now they're playing up the interaction between people and Pokemon in the region this time. Boss fights against things you could never hope to befriend, which a lot of people seem to be denying is in Sun and Moon but I find the distinction of not being Pokemon and the lack of types on Ultra Beasts to be very suspicious. . .

None of that will work because Pokemon will simply be seen as a copycat and be dismissed for it, though. what Pokemon needs to do is figure out the mindset behind these situations and think of NEW things that might attract the attention of that crowd. And that's certainly working uphill, as no idea is truly and entirely new. But in the long run they'll get a whole lot more attention for introducing an aesthetic they made themselves instead of just playing follow the leader.

But fortunately for Pokemon, they've been setting things up for a quick turnaround. Heck, this cash in itself is evidence of the turnaround speed they have set up. Once the same Japanese kids already heckling them call them out for the ripoff and won't take the bait, they'll probably adjust and find something new to do by the next generation.

. . .Or the ploy will actually work and they'll start doing it even more. Who knows, I can't read the future.

. . .I think I'm starting to imagine custom Pikachu dressup now because of that create-a-Nyan thing. . .It'd probably be less blatant than what they've been doing. . .

. . .Wait, Z-moves are basically Soultimates, aren't they. . .Pokemon what exactly went on in your focus groups this generation?. . .

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah, which is why I consider it a basic element of monster collecting and why its not something that should be considered unique to Pokemon.

Because characters doing ridiculous poses and dances for powerful moves totally isn't done to death in Japanese media.

Also, hi. Been a while. How are you all doing?
In terms of how the summoning execution is done for posing and dancing for the watch, I believe it is quite distinct enough to make its own unique thing. Although this is just me thinking about anime transformations in genres like magical girl or robot fighting, so I may not know what other franchises take/have a similar idea to YW's watch.

Although, I'm not saying the Yo-kai Watch itself is fully original, there are plenty things in Japanese media that have taken the basic summoning concept before and took it to extremes.

But I can tell Pokemon added those dancing elements and poses right after the YW watch gained huge success in the toy department. From my history with Pokemon, I don't think there was a hefty amount of dancing/posing heavily involved with Pokemon battles until now.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, which is why I consider it a basic element of monster collecting and why its not something that should be considered unique to Pokemon.

In terms of how the summoning execution is done for posing and dancing for the watch, I believe it is quite distinct enough to make its own unique thing. Although this is just me thinking about anime transformations in genres like magical girl or robot fighting, so I may not know what other franchises take/have a similar idea to YW's watch

Although, I'm not saying the Yo-kai Watch itself is fully original, there are plenty things in Japanese media that have taken the basic summoning before and took it

But I can tell Pokemon added those dancing elements and poses right after the YW watch gained huge success in the toy department. From my history with Pokemon, I don't think there was a hefty amount of dancing/posing heavily involved with Pokemon battles until now.
That may be true, but none of those would have done it if not for Pokemon's incredible success, and Pokemon's THE monster collecting RPG

Pokemon had Musicals in Gen V and there are quite a few dancing moves. Even then, suddenly making silly and dramatic poses is something I'd argue Jojo inspired, such as Polnareff refusing to be affected by gravity just so he can go on with his exposition

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The argument was about Pokémon anime taking a trope from the Yokai Watch anime, right?

Would borrowing a comedy trope in the anime really add to the game's sales somehow?

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Remember when one person tried to release an emulator for the Xbox One but Microsoft crushed the idea? Well, he's back with a working prototype: http://test.nesbox.com/xbox/

Unlike the last attempt, the emulator is running on the console's internet browser. I've tested it myself and it works great (the only game available for the prototype is the NES game "Chip N' Dale: Rescue Rangers" though). He plans to make ROMs bootable via OneDrive.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yes I am.

Toys are nothing new for Pokemon...you can all sorts of gadgets and knickknacks from Pokedexes, poke balls, figurines, Gym Badges the works...

Pokemon introduces a new item Z-rings...with Z-crystals....of course they will make toys for them...once again its nothing new for Pokemon...

And the concepts of items being used to initiate powerful attacks are nothing new in RPGs in general...best example I can think of are Limit Breaks and Materia from FVII...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For me, everything is a Jojo reference
Poses? Jojo property
Vampires? Jojo basically created them
Any case of multiple punchs per second? Just make them shout ORAORA already
Duck Hunt in Smash? The duck is obviously the work of an enemy a Stand, or at least how I believe a character with a Fighting Spirit would fight on Smash

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
For me, everything is a Jojo reference
Poses? Jojo property
Vampires? Jojo basically created them
Any case of multiple punchs per second? Just make them shout ORAORA already
Duck Hunt in Smash? The duck is obviously the work of an enemy a Stand, or at least how I believe a character with a Fighting Spirit would fight on Smash
I get Duck Hunt's down B. But how the **** did you not think Rosalina's a stand user?
Speaking of, I actually got a Rosalina amiibo, a friend got it as a present

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Guise, we call this planet The World...
Dio's stand is The World...

Jojo = Everything

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Pokemon had Musicals in Gen V and there are quite a few dancing moves. Even then, suddenly making silly and dramatic poses is something I'd argue Jojo inspired, such as Polnareff refusing to be affected by gravity just so he can go on with his exposition
Hino's inspirations of YW do come from kids franchises like Pokemon and Doraemon, I personally doubt Hino has been heavily inspired by Jojo first. Although, the YW anime did make a JoJo reference at one point:

I'd imagine the idea of dancing and posing would come from Hino researching on what kids like to do, that's what make the YW watch toy a huge fun experience for kids to play with in Japan.

Toys are nothing new for Pokemon...you can all sorts of gadgets and knickknacks from Pokedexes, poke balls, figurines, Gym Badges the works...

Pokemon introduces a new item Z-rings...with Z-crystals....of course they will make toys for them...its nothing new for Pokemon...

And the concepts of items being used to initiate powerful attacks are nothing new in RPGs in general...best example I can think of are Limit Breaks and Materia from FVII...
It's moreso of the idea of toys integrating/interacting with the game. Pokemon has never really done this until Yo-kai Watch used it heavily. And sure they make merch for it, but not anything that heavily interacts with the game. The only thing I can think of is the Pokewalker, but the idea quickly got scrapped in Black/White and X/Y and the toy idea in general suspiciously got revived in Sun/Moon.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hino's inspirations of YW do come from kids franchises like Pokemon and Doraemon, I personally doubt Hino has been heavily inspired by Jojo first. Although, the YW anime did make a JoJo reference at one point:

I'd imagine the idea of dancing and posing would come from Hino researching on what kids like to do, that's what make the YW watch toy a huge fun experience for kids to play with in Japan.

It's moreso of the idea of toys integrating/interacting with the game. Pokemon has never really done this until Yo-kai Watch used it heavily. And sure they make merch for it, but not anything that heavily interacts with the game. The only thing I can think of is the Pokewalker, but the idea quickly got scrapped in Black/White and X/Y and the toy idea in general suspiciously got revived in Sun/Moon.
Bruh, you have NO idea how much of an impact Jojo has on Japanese media. Guile was stated to be inspired by Polnareff's hairdo and Dhalsim was based on the zoom punch technique. There's even Jojo in the ****ing Louvre museum

The pokewalker was actually really successful if I remember correctly. Not to mention that Nintendo's using their IPs more aggressively nowadays, so it's likely they would have done this without yokai watch doing it. And someone mentioned Mega Man Battle Network doing the same

D

Deleted member

I get Duck Hunt's down B. But how the **** did you not think Rosalina's a stand user?
Speaking of, I actually got a Rosalina amiibo, a friend got it as a present
Not just its Down B, the Duck as a whole works as an extension of the Dog
It's basically Killer Queen and the Gunman is Sheer Heart Attack
Rosalina can't count because Luma doesn't follow the two basic rules of Stands:
1-Power and range are inversely proportional and it has infinite range and a ****ton of power
2-Any damage done to the Stand will be received by the user as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Pokemon Sun and Moon does have some new things that aren't Yo-Kai Watch inspired.

Thinking on it, like half of them have been shown for split seconds in trailers and swept under the rug though, so it's made the Yo-Kai Watch crowd appeal attempt more blatant looking.

That's probably their strategy. Hook in the Yo-Kai Watch crowd and just slip in the QoL for the people who will just buy the game anyway.

Battle Royal and Pokemon Snap are obvious bones thrown to the Pokemon fandom rather than Yo-Kai channeling that they actually are willing to get out in the open, though. Presumably this is because constantly being bugged for Pokemon Snap 2 and people coming up with the idea of four player battles a lot meant they figured they could probably get people more excited with those than the QoL details brought back and polished from other games.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not just its Down B, the Duck as a whole works as an extension of the Dog
It's basically Killer Queen and the Gunman is Sheer Heart Attack
Rosalina can't count because Luma doesn't follow the two basic rules of Stands:
1-Power and range are inversely proportional and it has infinite range and a ****ton of power
2-Any damage done to the Stand will be received by the user as well
AHAHAHAHAHA
Wait till you see Requiem or Bohemian Rhapsody. Infinite range AND infinite power. Requiem literally has 'NONE' as all it's stats
And Notorious B.I.G for your durability part

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Bruh, you have NO idea how much of an impact Jojo has on Japanese media. Guile was stated to be inspired by Stroheim's hairdo and Dhalsim was based on the zoom punch technique. There's even Jojo in the ****ing Louvre museum
Fix it for you.

#JoJoiseverything

Some of these reference may be spoiler, so look with your discretion.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Bruh, you have NO idea how much of an impact Jojo has on Japanese media. Guile was stated to be inspired by Polnareff's hairdo and Dhalsim was based on the zoom punch technique. There's even Jojo in the ****ing Louvre museum
When was the JoJo manga made anyway. I believe I heard it was made in 1992, right?

The pokewalker was actually really successful if I remember correctly. Not to mention that Nintendo's using their IPs more aggressively nowadays, so it's likely they would have done this without yokai watch doing it. And someone mentioned Mega Man Battle Network doing the same
I mean I'm very sure Nintendo is using their IPs more aggressively in marketing, but I don't think the Z-Ring idea would have existed without YW involved.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
When was the JoJo manga made anyway. I believe I heard it was made in 1992, right?

I mean I'm very sure Nintendo is using their IPs more aggressively in marketing, but I don't think the Z-Ring idea would have existed without YW involved.
Jojo started in 1987.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery

Jojo started in 1987. It's one of the first manga to feature a cast of main characters with different and unique abilities.

Source :)

Edit: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom