• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Oh boy, a repeat of the reason why Paper Mario took a different formula.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/09/...why-paper-mario-moved-away-from-rpg-elements/
I'm. . .pretty sure the puzzle part of any given game that isn't fully a puzzle game is just the part people rush past to get back to the real gameplay.

I understand why they did it, but it was the wrong choice. Hopefully with their new PR setup they'll stop trying to justify poor decisions so much and actually work on making improvements.

Star Fox Zero and Federation Force felt like they were treated as pet projects rather than games actually meant for fun and got kind of a cringeworthy sacred cow treatment, and this just feels like trying to justify continuing to do something that is a bad idea.

I think the problem is that their creative leaders aren't making enough new IPs and they're getting stir crazy as a result. Nintendo needs to give them new projects to wear themselves out on so they don't feel compelled to fiddle with everything else.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As long as the character itself your designing is far enough away from the source material there shouldn't be an issue...

Keep in mind almost every single character and creature design out there has been inspired by something else that exists...it's almost impossible to truly come up with something 100% original...especially in this day and age when almost every idea possible has already been implemented in some way...
That's alright and I agree, the basic design itself has already kind of been used before on two other characters created by different companies so there shouldn't be that much of an issue I would hope. I will try my best to separate it from the other designs as much as I can though.

D

Deleted member

I don't mind characters being based off others... as long as they aren't from the same series because then it just becomes laziness
Like Chrom who is basically an Ike clone who was already an Hector clone to begin with

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I've more of a problem with them going after harmless games like this one.

AM2R could possibly cut into their profits, so it could be justified I suppose, but I'm not sure why Nintendo felt threatened from this one. (Unless they are making something similar)

It makes them look paranoid.
Like frost said, they do have the right to protect their stuff, weather it makes them look paranoid or not

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Someone found some misc console mocks up and I can't stop laughing at these.

Keep these in mind when you see NX leaks or rumors.
Xbox 720 looks a lot like what the NX is rumored to be lol.

Those fakes make me nostalgic because I remember looking these fakes up when I was in Middle School and showing it to people in my class.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Which means 4 PM for me... and my school ends just 20 minutes before that, and I have quite long way home...

...which means...

GOTTA GO FAST
xD Just be careful of not going way too fast, the revelations won't go anywhere. I'm still here just wondering about the starters the most.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Did they somehow miss the backlash of Sticker Star and the Color Splash's announcement?
Because we've got to have money! :troll:

Sorry for bringing up a dead meme.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Because we've got to have money! :troll:

Sorry for bringing up a dead meme.
I mean.

Sticker Star sold over two million copies.

That's actually an entirely correct assessment.

It's not like the new playstyle got spanked in the wallet the way SFZ and especially Fed Force did. The other two have monetary reasons to look at the backlash, look at the sales, look back at the backlash, and go, "Oh THAT's where we went wrong."

Sticker Star is about the furthest thing from negative motivation. It sold more than Awakening and that saved a series from the brink of destruction. They could easily get away with thinking that the people upset were just a small vocal minority in that case because they were rewarded for it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Someone found some misc console mocks up and I can't stop laughing at these.

Keep these in mind when you see NX leaks or rumors.
Those are ridiculous. :laugh:

Are those what people thought consoles might actually look like, or fakes, or what?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Granted from people saying they hate the game, do they know they made it sell more?
I don't think anyone expected the game to be lackluster. Coming from Super Paper Mario, which was well-received despite being very different, most probably expected similar from Sticker Star.

What have we done.
That was absolutely brilliant. My day has been made. :joyful:

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Something that's actually done a lot for prequels...(ex. Tauriel, Azog, and Bolg in The Hobbit films)

Real talk...was I the only person that actually liked Jar Jar?
Nope, I always liked Jar Jar. He's up there with Ewen McGregor, Liam Neeson, Darth Maul, Duel of Fates, Pod Racing, and the Naboo Starfighter as one of the things I love about the movie.

and thought it sucked he had such an insignificant role in the other two films?
I would have enjoyed it if they had actually gone with the Darth Jar Jar thing, but as it is I'm perfectly fine with him having less of a role in 2 and 3 because Phantom Menace is the only prequel that I get any enjoyment out of.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think anyone expected the game to be lackluster. Coming from Super Paper Mario, which was well-received despite being very different, most probably expected similar from Sticker Star.
Yeah I bought mine on the series pedigree alone.

What people forget is that ET on the Atari was actually one of the best selling games of all time at it's release. It was Atari's Butters level optimism that killed the industry with too many carts.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Burruni

Smash Hero
pretty much everything but "orb gender" and "saddest boss fights of all time"

RIP game

Also that image is hilarious
:061:
Trust me.
You don't know Illuminati.
But orb gender refers to using a charm spell on one of the elemental orbs to learn White Wind for catomancy

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Looking at Nintendo job openings out of boredom. . .

Apparently they've had a position involved in making copyright strikes open since May.

No takers that entire time.

It's like, the second oldest opening they have up right now.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Looking at Nintendo job openings out of boredom. . .

Apparently they've had a position involved in making copyright strikes open since May.

No takers that entire time.

It's like, the second oldest opening they have up right now.
This is really ironic. :laugh:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Poster A: "FE6 can't possibly use 2 RNs for hit calculations because I've seen a bunch of attacks hit that I think shouldn't have hit, and attacks that missed that I think should have hit. Oh, and other people have sometimes had the same thing, so it can't possibly be personal experience/luck."
Other Posters: "You're mistaken." *presents explanations of the 2 RN system and evidence it's present in FE6.*
Poster A: "Nu-uh, I don't believe you and you must be wrong."

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Poster A: "FE6 can't possibly use 2 RNs for hit calculations because I've seen a bunch of attacks hit that I think shouldn't have hit, and attacks that missed that I think should have hit. Oh, and other people have sometimes had the same thing, so it can't possibly be personal experience/luck."
Other Posters: "You're mistaken." *presents explanations of the 2 RN system and evidence it's present in FE6.*

The internet in a nutshell...

Burruni

Smash Hero
So.
Let's take bets now.
1) Which of the 30 UTC are we gonna see tomorrow (if any)?
2) What Alolan forms are we going to see?
3) What new Alolan pokemon are we going to see?
4) Are we going to see a new unique Z-move?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
So.
Let's take bets now.
the **** is a UTC?

Burruni

Smash Hero
the **** is a UTC?
Unused Type Combination

Edit: The list.

01: Fairy/Dark
02: Fairy/Poison
03: Fairy/Fire
04: Fairy/Ground
05: Fairy/Fighting
06: Dark/Electric
07: Dark/Bug
08: Steel/Poison
09: Steel/Normal
10: Fire/Grass
11: Fire/Ice
12: Electric/Poison
13: Electric/Fighting
14: Electric/Rock
15: Rock/Poison
16: Rock/Normal
17: Rock/Ghost
18: Poison/Psychic
19: Poison/Normal
20: Poison/Ice
21: Psychic/Bug
22: Ground/Fighting
23: Bug/Normal
24: Bug/Ice
25: Bug/Dragon
26: Normal/Ghost
27: Normal/Ice
28: Ghost/Fighting
29: Fighting/Ice
30: Fighting/Dragon

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nintendo and Square Enix are the only companies I can think of that do this ****. It's stupid that they chase after fan games that have no effect on their business. Flat out petty ****.
In the case of AM2R and the 500+ gamejolt fangames, I'd say Nintendo was completely justified. Give me a single reason anyone would buy Metroid II for 3 bucks on the eshop if they could just play AM2R, a game that not only is free, but is overall filled with more content. And gamejolt lets you earn money if people play your fangame, AKA you can make money off of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon without actually owning any of the IPs, not to mention there's always a possibility people would think "Why would I buy the official games if I could play all these fangames for free?". I WILL agree that No Mario Sky and Pokemon Uranium aren't justified, though the Uranium devs claimed that Nintendo didn't tell them to stop

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure FE6 doesn't use the 2 RN system though

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Yes one of my favorite tracks is up. This is a pretty good one if your looking for something to listen to, and is amazing in game!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Pretty sure FE6 doesn't use the 2 RN system though
But poster B provided evidence. Are you Frank Sahwit?

About Sticker Star selling well. The backlash happened after the game's release. Here's how it went!
"OH BOY ANOTHER PAPER MARIO GAME! Wait a second, the gameplay's different! Oh well, we thought Super Paper Mario would be godawful, but it had arguably the best story in the franchise!"
*one release later*
"I just bought Sticker Star, I can't wait to see what they did this time! Wait, the only benefit of battling is getting money, not EXP? The money can only be used to get more stickers? And stickers are single use items that can only be used in fights except the ones that appear in the overworld? There's no point in battles! At least there's the story... It's just 'Bowser kidnaps Peach'? Where are the NPS that are filled with character? What the ****, did they GENUINELY give Bowser no dialogue? He was my favourite character!"

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So.
Let's take bets now.
Wait, something is happening tomorrow?

D

Deleted member

I actually checked and True Hit actually started on FE6
Huh, could swear it was FE7 that introduced it
Plus with my confirmation bias, FE6 hit rates always seemed less reliable to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom