• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I have a question for you all; how much longer do you have in your summer breaks before you go back to School, College, etc.? I've got about a week and a half left myself before my summer break ends. :p
Exactly a week. The semester starts on the 31st.
Lets create some discussion regarding Fire Emblem Awakening:
1) Do you own the game? Have you played it? Did you beat it?
2) What do you like about FE: Awakening?
3) What do you dislike about FE: Awakening?
4) This largely branches from the previous question, but for those that have played older Fire Emblem entries, how would you say it compares to older entries in the series? Is it truly inferior to all of them in every aspect (in other words, do you think it's the worst Fire Emblem game in existence), or does it have some redeemable features that let it stand out from older titles?
5) Do you think Fates improved from Awakening? Why or why not?
6) This connects from the previous question, but for those that have played both Fates and Awakening, did you like Fates more than Awakening? Why or why not?
7) What are your thoughts about FE: Awakening's overall reception?
  1. Yes to all.
  2. DLC, more depth to some of the characters introduced, varied class designs, and branched promotions.
  3. Lack of objective variety, bland map design, messy story, marriage, and busted pair-up system.
  4. It's a solid game but there a far better entries in the series. I'd even argue that Sacred Stones does Awakening's introduction to the series far better with a familiar gameplay style found in the earlier FE titles. It's not the worst and has many redeemable qualities that make it memorable for first-timers.
  5. Improved on gameplay and designs but took a step back with re-implementing children and horrid characterization.
  6. They are about the same in my opinion. I had more fun playing Awakening's DLC maps but Fates provided a refreshing challenge.
  7. It's deserved. I'm glad the series is receiving mainstream success. I look forward to more entries as long as they retain teh strategy aspect the series has been known for.

D

Deleted member

There is a MH anime but ts moe, fanservice garbo
That exists, but if I remember correctly, it's something else but monster hunter themed, not entirely MH themed. I don't remember what exactly what it was, but that'd explain it's never mentioned in terms of MH anime.(Besides being unconfortable and unfitting. :p)

If anything this series little series of MH sorts are the closest thing we've gotten to an MH anime. :p
It's beautiful.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/23/sega-amplitude-pc-publisher/

Apparently, Sega is considering bring back old franchises.

Aside from SoR, I would love to see Shining Force get a second chance in the west with how FE is making SRPGs popular now and maybe a new Altered Beast game that doesn't suck (which at this point is kinda hard to do these days)

Any ideas for franchises you like to see get resurrected?
they better bring Super Monkey Ball back and they better do it RIGHT, OR THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES

(more specifically, they need to get the guys who worked on the original games back...pretty much just revert all the changes Touch & Roll and Banana Blitz made and go back to the Amusement Vision-era look and feel.)

Also, for anyone who closely follows SiIva, I have an important thing to talk about regarding Mr. Rental.

As anyone who follows the channel closely already knows, Rental went berserk and crusaded against mashups on SiIvagunner.

However, we need to take a look back at the Opening Music rip for the Rental "videogame."

At 0:13 in the video, Mr. Rental runs over the word "mashups."

We were warned about Rental's hatred of mashups, but we didn't catch on until it was too late to prevent his crusade.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Here's a question for everyone. Since there's still some pre-Olympics hype for 2020 and Nintendo's involved, here's a challenge.

Smash Olympics. Make a list of Smash characters who'd hypothetically be best at each event.

Rules: No character can compete in more than one event. Summer events only. Can be current or previous Smash characters.

Any takers? I'll post mine in a bit.
Swimming: :4greninja:

Tae Kwon Do/Judo/Karate: :4ryu:

Boxing: :4littlemac:

Archery: :4pit::4darkpit:

Gymnastics: :4peach::rosalina::4bayonetta2:

Synchronize Swimming: :4peach::rosalina::4bayonetta2:

Wrestling: :4bowser:

100 M/200 M/400 M Dash: :4falcon::4sonic:

Air Rifle: :4zss:

Weight Lifting: :4myfriends:

Fencing: :4marth::4lucina:

Volleyball: :4wiifit:

Pole Vault: :4falco:

Man, I love that channel
"This is what happens in FE Conquest" is even better
I've seen that video too, and I thought it was pretty good as well. Makes me look forward to seeing him do a Birthright and a Revelation edition in the future.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Swimming: :4greninja:

Tae Kwon Do/Judo/Karate: :4ryu:

Boxing: :4littlemac:

Archery: :4pit::4darkpit:

Gymnastics: :4peach::rosalina::4bayonetta2:

Synchronize Swimming: :4peach::rosalina::4bayonetta2:

Wrestling: :4bowser:

100 M/200 M/400 M Dash: :4falcon::4sonic:

Air Rifle: :4zss:

Weight Lifting: :4myfriends:

Fencing: :4marth::4lucina:

Volleyball: :4wiifit:

Pole Vault: :4falco:

I've seen that video too, and I thought it was pretty good as well. Makes me look forward to seeing him do a Birthright and a Revelation edition in the future.
>Weight Lifting
>Ike
I'M SORRY M8

YOU WANNA GO?!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
>Weight Lifting
>Ike
I'M SORRY M8

YOU WANNA GO?!
I thought of Wario too, but considering Ike has some pretty big muscles, I think he'd be a good competitor.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Greninja could probably compete in the jumping events
It's only one event per character thought, and I think not putting the super-fast ninja frog in swimming, AKA water race, would be a huge waste of potential.

Not that he wouldn't be also a god in jumping.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Aside from SoR, I would love to see Shining Force get a second chance in the west with how FE is making SRPGs popular now and maybe a new Altered Beast game that doesn't suck (which at this point is kinda hard to do these days)

Billy Hatcher, Please
I want my Billy back, Sega

Oh and Rhythm Theif
This, all I need is BIlly Hatcher! Please Sega!

Found a thing for A Distant Demon A Distant Demon

:061:
I didn't know Pokemon's crossing over with Parasite!

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean.
One of these two characters are known to piledrive support pillars twice their height
I wonder how strong Ike ACTUALLY is. I mean Ragnell is not a small sword and even katanas are heavy and they're supposed to be one of the lightest two-handed swords...

So, Ragnell is about 4ish of those in width and about 3 quarters of those longer maybe more. And Ike can hold it in one hand and swing it at extremely high speeds in Smash and Radiant Dawn. Sooo how strong is Ike?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I'll see it when I believe it. This could be plain old PR talk for all we know.

Shinobi, Crazy Taxi, Billy Hatcher, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Fighter (if the recent trademark renewal is to be believed), Streets of Rage, Space Channel 5, and Golden Axe (Anything but a repeat of Beast Rider).

Burruni

Smash Hero
I wonder how strong Ike ACTUALLY is. I mean Ragnell is not a small sword and even katanas are heavy and they're supposed to be one of the lightest two-handed swords...

So, Ragnell is about 4ish of those in width and about 3 quarters of those longer maybe more. And Ike can hold it in one hand and swing it at extremely high speeds in Smash and Radiant Dawn. Sooo how strong is Ike?
I mean.
Wario's got a grip strength of over 80 psi canonically.
When 90's about the threshold for workshop or garage air tools.
That's one of few straight measurements to go on.

Yes to all
Well it's my first FE for one thing so that's nice.

Chrom is a cool dude.

Infinite and easy support is one of my favorite things. The liited supports of early games means you don't learn a lot about each character. No more than 5 conversations. Awakening increases character knowledge vastly.

Recalssing is fun sometimes although it isn't awakening only.
Feels like a really unbalanced game. Pair up and stuff like that.

Reclassing gives me too many variables to deal with.

90% rout the enemy/defeat the boss or whatever.

The cases of bolting/other long range magic were pretty bull****

nitpicks
I'm pretty sure there isn't a single playable Nomad trooper/bow knight without reclassing.

No non-mounted pure spear user

4) This largely branches from the previous question, but for those that have played older Fire Emblem entries, how would you say it compares to older entries in the series? Is it truly inferior to all of them in every aspect (in other words, do you think it's the worst Fire Emblem game in existence), or does it have some redeemable features that let it stand out from older titles?
In every aspect? absolutely not.

It's actual maps are pretty weak but there is damn good reason it made Fire Emlem popular all of a sudden. It's a good game and very user/newbie friendly.

Of the FE games I've played I would put like this

Awakening
Birthright

(although enkoyment wise it would be different
Awakening
Birthright)
Based purely on Birthright not really

The story is easily the worst i've played of the FE games by a country mile, and apparently R and C are worse. Don't like most of the changes made by the game. Getting rid of weapon durability is still annoying to me. Maps were slightly better but some of them sucked major balls and that difficulty spike is just bad.

Not a lot of positives I can give Birthright over Awakening other than maps (which it only barely does better in).

ALSO **** SPLITTING IT INTO 3 VERSIONS. THE DUMBEST THING EVER
6) This connects from the previous question, but for those that have played both Fates and Awakening, did you like Fates more than Awakening? Why or why not?
See my answer to 4

No

Multiple versions and a terrible story and too many obnoxious maps

It deserved to bring the series into a new light.

But it also deserved all the complaints from older fans as well.

A very good game that should certainly get points for being noob friendly (got me addicted), but certainly not a perfect one.
Found a thing for A Distant Demon A Distant Demon

Saw this the other day on GAF or twitter.

Apparently it's a reference to parasyte.

It's also another reason not to **** with poliwhirl

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Well Katana ranges up to 1400 grams. Not sure how much Ikes sword is

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Well Katana ranges up to 1400 grams. Not sure how much Ikes sword is
I'd say Ragnell is kind of like William Wallace's sword which was about 2.7kg and is 163 cm in length total.
Would be nice if Intelligent Systems provided a massive Fire Emblem book that goes into detail about all sorts of things including the weapons and their different properties including measurements.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268889

Mario DS officially coming to Wii U VC

3 versions of Street Fighter 2 coming to New3DS

and SF2 is a big deal so. . .
have fun N3DS owners. I'm not jealous at all!
@ Bolded: I assume you misspoke, since Alpha 2 is its own game, not an SF2 revision.

With all these SF2 re-releases, I find it hard to believe has Nintendo still not gotten Super Turbo on one of their consoles.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
@ Bolded: I assume you misspoke, since Alpha 2 is its own game, not an SF2 revision.

And even with all these SF2 re-releases, I still find it hard to believe has Nintendo still not gotten Super Turbo on one of their consoles.
The GBA version of Super Turbo is on the Wii U VC.

D

Deleted member

And even with all these SF2 re-releases, I still find it hard to believe has Nintendo still not gotten Super Turbo on one of their consoles.
Super SF2 Turbo Revival for GBA and Wii U VC exists.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The GBA version of Super Turbo is on the Wii U VC.
Super SF2 Turbo Revival for GBA and Wii U VC exists.
My mistake, I haven't been following the GBA VC release schedule very closely. I also kinda forgot SSF2T even got ported to the GBA.

Still seems strange that there hasn't been a straight arcade port yet, though. It's not like Arcade emulation is even that hard.
Confusing *** game has like 3 versions and they can't even have the common courtesy to name their games properly.

SF2 isn't SF2 what is this madness?

Alpha 2 is a sequel to Street Fighter Alpha

Really don't see what's confusing about that.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I have a question for you all; how much longer do you have in your summer breaks before you go back to School, College, etc.? I've got about a week and a half left myself before my summer break ends. :p
I have -3 weeks left of summer.

That means I started school three weeks ago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looking back, I'm surprised that none of the arcade versions of SF2 were ever on the original Wii VC, considering that it had arcade ports such as Ghosts n' Goblins (not to be confused with the NES version) and Tower of Druaga.

Last edited by a moderator:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Looking back, I'm surprised that none of the arcade versions of SF2 were ever on the original Wii VC, considering that it had arcade ports such as Ghosts n' Goblins (not to be confused with the NES version) and Tower of Druaga.
Well Capcom doesn't do the legitimate arcade ports rarely ever with SF.

Super Turbo got a 'remake' for 360/PS3 than a port and that was it and the last time the OG Super Turbo arcade port happened was in the PS2/Xbox era.

Alpha series is worst because it's always Alpha 3 moreso than Alpha 1/2 and the former only gets handheld ports these days

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
well boys and gals i found us a new rumor that im bringing up purely because of the quality of drawings

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

Yes to all three.

I like the new class system.

The maps are super bland and uninspired, I don't care for the characters and I don't like the story.

It's redeemable but worse than Tellius in pretty every aspect I'd say. It didn't ruin the franchise though, that's stupid.

Fates improves literally everything. Much more interesting maps, way better story in all three paths (Yeah I said it), waaaay better gameplay etc etc.

People whining about it ruining the franchise and being a weeaboo game etc annoy the **** out of me, but I don't really care about the game over-all.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
well boys and gals i found us a new rumor that im bringing up purely because of the quality of drawings

Huh interesting, the drawings are interesting, not sure if I believe us only getting four totem Pokémon though.

Also, please no fog...

Yes, yep, and affirmative.

The upgraded class system, the skill system (though it's flawed), the music is great, and while it's flawed, I liked the children mechanic in these games.

The maps were really bland, there was a severe lack of different objectives to complete said maps, the villains and overall story were lackluster, the pair-up system was horribly broken, and the new support system had its flaws.

Nope, I think it's better then some of the other games I've played like Shadow Dragon. Even ignoring the comparisons, it's still a fun game to play on its own.

It's... mixed. Gameplay is overall better as there's more objectives (especially in Conquest), map design has improved for the most part, unit balance is better excluding one route, and the skill system has improved from Awakening. There are some things that Awakening did better like the reasoning behind the children mechanic, but overall Fates wins out here.

Story is a different matter entirely. Personally, I feel all three fall behind Awakening since they have an even less truly compelling protagonist, poor worldbuilding, and even worse villains*. The plot also relies too much on contrivances and idiot ball holding to move itself forward, which while Awakening did suffer from it, Fates gets even more irritating with it such as with Conquest Chapter 15.

Characters I feel overall Fates had the better set, but I will say that Awakening's felt more consistent, Fates has stronger highs in terms of its characters, but also much weaker ones.

The only exception is Anankos, who does get a good amount of backstory to himself. Problem is it's locked behind a paywall, so you're never finding that out in a regular playthrough. Also, even with that in mind, he does cause quite a few notable issues with the plot such as Dr. Garon and his two puppy-kicking minions.

Overall yes, while the story is weaker then even Awakening's, I feel the improvements to the gameplay more then make up for it. Just breaking it down by routes, the only one I wouldn't put over Awakening is Revelation.

It's a good game and you can tell there's a bit of heart to it since it wanted to celebrate everything it could about the series. With that said, the criticisms given to it are mostly justified since gameplay-wise, it lacks a lot of the strategic elements the series is known for, the story is among the weakest in the series, and some of the design decisions behind it have led to some issues in Fates (ex. shoehorning the children in).

In short, I feel it deserves its praise, but it also deserves a good amount of its criticisms.

Last edited:

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman

Hmm. These designs look believable... But every leak I've claimed is believable has been proven wrong so far. That said, it's interesting that Alolan Arcanine is consistently mentioned. Could be piggybacking, could be a sign that multiple individuals have actually seen it. Even if this is baloney, the "Artsy Leaker" has a pretty good art style, and some good design skills too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom