• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Did it involve a huge tropical orgy at the end?

I'm curious because I'm planning on seeing it soon.
Yeah it did and it was the most awkward thing I've seen in cinema since the implied sex scene in Avatar (the one with the blue aliens)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei

I picked Fire Emblem, Kirby, and Bravely Default.

Fire Emblem is an all around solid game. The story isn't for everyone, but is adequate, the gameplay is robust yet easy to get into, and the music/art is a blast.

While I haven't played the new Kirby yet, I can say it'd be worth it to play, especially if you take what others say as valid.

And I'm a massive BD fanboy. Others have covered it's flaws/strengths. If you do plan on playing it, do not listen to the soundtrack ahead of the game.

Totally unbiased opinions coming from the guy with a Corrin avi and BD title.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
http://www.strawpoll.me/10994541

Swamp doesn't know what to do.

Swamp may just decide against what you think, but Swamp will at least listen to consideration.
Do you have Shovel Knight?
You should get it, unless you're going to have more money in a few months from now, in which case you could just buy it then and play the Spectre Knight and King Knight campaigns too when they come out.

If you have it, I don't have anything to suggest. You probably already have any VC games I would mention.

I would suggest Fates but Conquest is the one path I didn't play.

Chrono.

Why did no one tell me GiIvaSunner had a TV Tropes pages?!

I can finally read what's up with all this nonsense.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Why did no one tell me GiIvaSunner had a TV Tropes pages?!

I can finally read what's up with all this nonsense.
I can pretty much describe it like this

• Meme channel starts
  • Everything is fine with all the jokes and decent remixes in between
  • Fanboys get pissed off with Triple Q spamming Snow Halation
  • Silva actually uses it as a joke to sort of "reboot" the channel and remove all the GRAND DAD and Love Live stuff for Family Guy and The Simpsons
  • Triple Q leaves the group and channel for a while
  • A second reboot happens which brings back all the old memes people liked because the news ones didn't catch on
  • Now the second reboot is pretty much the same but with 40% more Nutshack jokes (damn you Pan Pizza for even bringing that garbage to existence)

Also GilvaSunner is the legit channel. SilvaGunner is the fake meme channel

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of FE Fates, what does everyone think of that game as a whole here? I'm certain you guys have talked about it a bunch before. For me personally, having only played Birthright and Revelation, the latter twice:
Gameplay wise, Birthright does everything Awakening tried to, but way better, Revelation tries too hard to be a puzzle game and doesn't use enemy pairup, making it ultimately pretty boring.

Character wise, I think that pretty much everyone is extremely one-dimensional and kind of boring. Takumi, Oboro and pretty much every unimportant character (Scarlet, Reina, Yukimura, Fuuga) being the only exceptions IMO. There's a lot of likable characters, but few have substance, probably due to the sheer number of them. (which is why I wanted child characters to be gone from the very first announcement but eh)

Birthright's story is pretty good, but Corrin is such a whiny baby in it. Conversely, Corrin is a much stronger character in Revelation, but the stupid "curse" that keeps them from mentioning Valla is so DUMB because it kills the momentum they would have had. Both stories feel like they're missing something. Birthright purposefully leaves out everything related to Valla to justify Revelation's existence, but Revelation skims over plot points covered by Birthright, so they both feel incomplete. Also, the story in general is full of really dumb explanations for things in lieu of good writing, such as justifying fanservice with an alternate dimension where time is stopped.

On top of this, the fanservice in this game is so shameless than it loops back around and becomes shameful and I have a really hard time liking the game overall as a result. It's like they tried to mash up a dating sim with Game of Thrones levels of medieval drama and it just doesn't work.

Music and art direction in all paths is [****ing fantastic]. All I gotta say. It's all good in this department.

Overall, Birthright is solid despite the tropey characters and fanservice, but Revelation is extremely disappointing. Instead of pulling the curtain away to reveal a much more epic and detailed story than Birthright or Revelation, it feels like an answer sheet with some rather lame puzzles/maps on the side.
(wow I rambled)

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Speaking of FE Fates, what does everyone think of that game as a whole here? I'm certain you guys have talked about it a bunch before. For me personally, having only played Birthright and Revelation, the latter twice:
Gameplay wise, Birthright does everything Awakening tried to, but way better, Revelation tries too hard to be a puzzle game and doesn't use enemy pairup, making it ultimately pretty boring.

Character wise, I think that pretty much everyone is extremely one-dimensional and kind of boring. Takumi, Oboro and pretty much every unimportant character (Scarlet, Reina, Yukimura, Fuuga) being the only exceptions IMO. There's a lot of likable characters, but few have substance, probably due to the sheer number of them. (which is why I wanted child characters to be gone from the very first announcement but eh)

Birthright's story is pretty good, but Corrin is such a whiny baby in it. Conversely, Corrin is a much stronger character in Revelation, but the stupid "curse" that keeps them from mentioning Valla is so DUMB because it kills the momentum they would have had. Both stories feel like they're missing something. Birthright purposefully leaves out everything related to Valla to justify Revelation's existence, but Revelation skims over plot points covered by Birthright, so they both feel incomplete. Also, the story in general is full of really dumb explanations for things in lieu of good writing, such as justifying fanservice with an alternate dimension where time is stopped.

On top of this, the fanservice in this game is so shameless than it loops back around and becomes shameful and I have a really hard time liking the game overall as a result. It's like they tried to mash up a dating sim with Game of Thrones levels of medieval drama and it just doesn't work.

Music and art direction in all paths is [****ing fantastic]. All I gotta say. It's all good in this department.

Overall, Birthright is solid despite the tropey characters and fanservice, but Revelation is extremely disappointing. Instead of pulling the curtain away to reveal a much more epic and detailed story than Birthright or Revelation, it feels like an answer sheet with some rather lame puzzles/maps on the side.
(wow I rambled)
I only played Birthright despite having all 3 games. The plot sucks and the game is way too easy for my liking. I adore Awakening and cant bring myself to play the other 2.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I only played Birthright despite having all 3 games. The plot sucks and the game is way too easy for my liking. I adore Awakening and cant bring myself to play the other 2.
Yeah compared to Awakening, I just didn't Fates all that much. Some might argue Awakening doesn't have (m)any complex characters either, but I don't think. I think they're all way better.

Recently I played through Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. It's dear to my heart, a great game. But something I noticed was that all of Mario's Partners had about as much depth as and pushed their character gimmicks as hard as any Fates character.

Which is fine for Paper Mario. For Fire Emblem...eehhh, not so much.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Where did I say this
WHERE IS THIS ERROR I MUST KNOW SWAMP PLZ.
Yeah compared to Awakening, I just didn't Fates all that much. Some might argue Awakening doesn't have (m)any complex characters either, but I don't think. I think they're all way better.

Burruni

Smash Hero

(wow I rambled)
Birthright: Awakening 2.0. Mechanically, works better. Story falls on worse.
Conquest: Frustrating story. Two particularly terrible chapters. Love most of the rest. Props to having one of like 3 final bosses that aren't a dark priest or a dragon. BECAUSE ONLY FE4, 5, 9 AND 10 ARE REAL EXCEPTIONS. Best version/verse of Lost in Thoughts All Alone by far. Really should've stressed the "the nation's dying and needs farmlands" point more.
Revelations: Fan-ficy story in all the worst ways. Writes off a character they knew you wouldn't use for their stats to be a servant of the dark god. And jesus christ were the maps terrible.

Edit: As a whole, Fates is burndened with trying to re-use some of the things that made Awakening as good as it was. And leaves with a medicore cast, three meh stories revolving around the protagonist instead of the actual war, but damn if it didn't do a lot of good changes mechanically to bring the S back in the SRPG.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Huh.
Well, in my defense, that sentence almost checks out.

Birthright: Awakening 2.0. Mechanically, works better. Story falls on worse.
Conquest: Frustrating story. Two particularly terrible chapters. Love most of the rest. Props to having one of like 3 final bosses that aren't a dark priest or a dragon. BECAUSE ONLY FE4, 5, 9 AND 10 ARE REAL EXCEPTIONS. Best version/verse of Lost in Thoughts All Alone by far. Really should've stressed the "the nation's dying and needs farmlands" point more.
Revelations: Fan-ficy story in all the worst ways. Writes off a character they knew you wouldn't use for their stats to be a servant of the dark god. And jesus christ were the maps terrible.

Edit: As a whole, Fates is burndened with trying to re-use some of the things that made Awakening as good as it was. And leaves with a medicore cast, three meh stories revolving around the protagonist instead of the actual war, but damn if it didn't do a lot of good changes mechanically to bring the S back in the SRPG.
Hit the nail on the head with this. Especially Revelation.
I kind of feel like I missed out not playing Conquest, but I keep hearing the story is meh so I think it's fine.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Huh.
Well, in my defense, that sentence almost checks out.

Hit the nail on the head with this. Especially Revelation.
I kind of feel like I missed out not playing Conquest, but I keep hearing the story is meh so I think it's fine.
The maps themselves are what you buy conquest for, honestly.
Because the story, I'll summarize in about two sentences.
"Iago, Garron, and Hanz make Corrin suffer to break their will eternally under Nohrian loyalty while Corrin tries to save the Hoshidan royals and fix Nohr from within. Garron can't use Hoshido's throne fully but the final boss is actually Fire Emblem's version of TR8R after a trippy walk with the dead."

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , When I put cash in the EShop, I carefully calculate out exactly how much each game is, in order to maximize the bang for my buck. Here's my suggestions:

Starting Funds: $50.00
Tadpole Treble: -10.79 (39.21)
Shovel Knight: -10.79 (28.42)
Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire: -8.73 (19.79)
Aban Hawkins & 1001 Spikes: -10.81 (8.98)
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow: -8.73 (0.25)

Five digital Wii U games, for less than the price of one retail game. You could substitute anything else you want, of course! This list also assumes that you live in the US, where sales tax on the EShop is exactly 8%.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Back from work.

Hyped for Bandana Dee in SSF2! Hes one of my most wanted newcomers for the next Smash game, so this is great news! Luffy is ok, but Im not the anime. Have we received anything from SSBC?

Bananija

Count of Trickery
How dong inducing this is...
I don't know if it was your intention, but since you put the picture in a quote, we need to click to expand if we want to see it entirely. In short, we need to click if we want to expand the (picture of the) dong.

Edit:
Back from work.

Hyped for Bandana Dee in SSF2! Hes one of my most wanted newcomers for the next Smash game, so this is great news! Luffy is ok, but Im not the anime. Have we received anything from SSBC?
Are you sure? How can we trust your claim of not being the anime? I mean, you're avatar is Pokémon, and there is a Pokémon anime.:troll:

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I don't know if it was your intention, but since you put the picture in a quote, we need to click to expand if we want to see it entirely. In short, we need to click if we want to expand the (picture of the) dong.

Edit:

Are you sure? How can we trust your claim of not being the anime? I mean, you're avatar is Pokémon, and there is a Pokémon anime.:troll:
My avatar has never been in the anime though :p Also, this isnt a Pokemon, its a Pancake Muncher. :026:

Another thing, was there a release date for Super Smash Flash 2 Beta?

Bananija

Count of Trickery
My avatar has never been in the anime though :p Also, this isnt a Pokemon, its a Pancake Muncher. :026:

Another thing, was there a release date for Super Smash Flash 2 Beta?
In a few years, your statement will become false thought. :p

And I thought it was a Psychic Surfer, not a Pancake Muncher.

And to answer your question, as far as I know, there is no release date yet. Altought I may be wrong.

In short, my answer is completely useless.:estatic:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In a few years, your statement will become false thought. :p

And I thought it was a Psychic Surfer, not a Pancake Muncher.

And to answer your question, as far as I know, there is no release date yet. Altought I may be wrong.

In short, my answer is completely useless.:estatic:
Raichu's alolan form evolved because it's diet of fluffy pancakes

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
The maps themselves are what you buy conquest for, honestly.
Because the story, I'll summarize in about two sentences.
"Iago, Garron, and Hanz make Corrin suffer to break their will eternally under Nohrian loyalty while Corrin tries to save the Hoshidan royals and fix Nohr from within. Garron can't use Hoshido's throne fully but the final boss is actually Fire Emblem's version of TR8R after a trippy walk with the dead."
Yeah - sounds like 2 Chapters doesn't it...

JOKES ON YOU THAT'S THE ENITRE GAME.

Chrono.

I've been skimming some of the Penders Archie Sonic stuff and holy crap a lot of this is just laughably bad.

But the way they try to adapt in particular SA1 is just WEIRD.

• Sonic gets his longer quils and green eyes after being exposed to... Something (radiation? or something, idk)
  • Since "Robotnik" (aka SatAM!Robotnik) died some time ago but they still needed him to be a thing, Robotnik 2.0 happened, who is basically who we know nowadays as Eggman
  • Because the story up until that point had portrayed the humans (or "overlanders" who have 4 fingers) as not being exactly kind to the animals and in SA1 we know that's not the case... They made it so Station Square, along with the "real" five fingered humans, was a hidden underground city all this time. With it's own sun, moon and sky and everything.
  • Amy wishes on a ring to look older and that's how she got her Adventure (now official) design in the comics (this is probably the most normal thing here)
  • They never really changed Tails' design (who, btw, looked like his SatAM self rather than his SEGA self) officially... They just kinda start subtly drawing him more like his Adventure-and-forward self until it sticks.
  • Chaos just kinda pops up in the later issues of the arc and he steals all the emeralds to become perfect before he loses to Super Sonic & Knuckles pretty quickly.
  • Big is just kinda there which tbf is pretty accurate, oh and Froggy is there to be a smart ass via thought bubbles
  • I don't think Gamma even talks during any of this, but he does show up to steal Froggy

I wasn't expecting anything good, but holy crap.

To make matters even more hilarious, I saw this issue that I thought would start the SA2 stuff so I HAD to read it. I just had to see how weird would it would be adapted.

As it turns out... It wasn't. Because the issue was just an adaptation of Sonic getting jailed and going through City Escape with a "If you wanna know what happens next, go buy Sonic Adventure 2 in stores now!!" message at the end.

So I guess they learned their lesson from trying to shoehorn SA1 (unless they DID adapt SA2 and I just missed it).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sausage Party is another Seth Rogan jab at religion?

No.

Please please no.

Yeah, I'm religious but I can take jabs and understand the importance of not blindly following any religion.

Rogan just does it soooooooooo bad.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sausage Party is another Seth Rogan jab at religion?

No.

Please please no.

Yeah, I'm religious but I can take jabs and understand the importance of not blindly following any religion.

Rogan just does it soooooooooo bad.
I didn't hear good things about it

D

Deleted member

On the topic of Fates:
Birthright: there's a reason why some call it Birthrout, because almost every single chapter is a Rout one. There's literally one map that isn't Rout or Kill Boss in the entire game. Also, the reinforcements are just obnoxious, even worse when they are in ROUT chapters where you have to kill them.
Story is ok with some good moments but they're killed by how anticlimatic the chapters are(you can ORKO Xander, Leo is a joke and Camilla has the worst map in FE history).
I like some of the characters, but outside of the three siblings, Azama, Scarlet, Oboro and Saizo, everyone else is either boring or are avaible in Conquest too. I still haven't read the supports though, so that might change with some of them.
Conquest: gameplay is amazing, out of all the chapters, there's one I don't like, and two that I can't tolerate on Lunatic. But good god, whoever did the map design for this game deserves a raise, it's challenging, fun and the reinforcements are just right.
Story is hot garbage, plotholes everywhere, inconsistent writing, forced conflict, crystal ball of stupid plot devices feat. an in-universe spoiler tag and the worst ***pull final boss in FE history that actially makes for a great boss and chapter but hey at least that scene in Chapter 25 was good.
I like almost all of the first generation characters, with the only exception being Peri because jfc how is she not in jail?
Shura vs. Kotaro>>>>>Saizo vs. Kotaro so Conquest takes the best "Kagero has been kidnapped... again" chapter

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
One of the flaws to FE: Fates (Aside from that I need to play more of them,) is that they don't have any voice lines playing during Support conversations. I always felt that added more life to the conversations in Awakening, not to mention some pretty funny deliveries at the most unusual of times, such as Yarne pronouncing "No, you go extinct!" when declaring his love to someone. Something like Kaze or Corrin going 'hmm...' 'You have my thanks." or any other voice in the sound library would definitely make them feel more engaging.

That said, you gotta hand it to the composing crew, the music is excellent, and I just wish we had Road Taken (Ablaze) alongside Lost in Thoughts All Alone in Smash outside of modding it in. Maybe next time. So far, I'm up to Chapter 8 in Birthright and Chapter 7 in Conquest. It's a bit too early to say which of the two I prefer at the moment, (is it because I'm afraid of beating them too quickly? Why is this fear only plaguing me when it comes to FE?) but I intend to beat Birthright first then Conquest, then make my judgement if they're as good (in my eyes) as Awakening or the other games I've played.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Champ Gold Champ Gold

I saw the ending to Sausage Party.

You were right.

You were 100% right.

I got curious. I thought "aw it can't be that bad."

It was worse.

That got good ratings? Critics liked that?

That scene is considered humor? I guess its so out there that its shocking but...

Why is that in a theatrical release?

Just... why?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Champ Gold Champ Gold

I saw the ending to sausage party.

You were right.

You were 100% right.

It was worse.

That scene is considered humor? I guess its so out there that its shocking but...

Just... why?
Because some people like cringe, or the critics didn't want to be the only people who suffered the movie

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Because some people like cringe, or the critics didn't want to be the only people who suffered the movie
There's cringe and then there's let's actively make the audience's life uncomfortable for the next week.

D

Deleted member

Champ Gold Champ Gold

I saw the ending to Sausage Party.

You were right.

You were 100% right.

It was worse.

Just... why?
What is it? What could be so bad about a scene? Please spoil me on it

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392